Home

Sal Amarena

Posted By: stern49

Sal Amarena - 12/14/13 06:01 PM

Salvatore Amarena

Salvatore "Sal" Amarena was one of the last remaining associates of the San Francisco crime family. He was a well known operator of bars and restaurants in Louisiana, Alabama and later the San Francisco Bay Area.

Amarena was born in New York City in 1920. In 1946, he moved to Tampa and became an associate of the Tampa Mob. In 1951, he was arrested for illegal gambling in a bar he owned in Alabama. He was arrested for the same charge in a bar he owned in Louisiana just four years later. Amarena also reportedly owned a restaurant in Cuba that was frequented by Santo Trafficante, Jr. and Fidel Castro. In 1959, Amarena sponsored the wedding and reception of Trafficante's daughter.

He moved to San Francisco and opened a coffee shop called Sal's Espresso Cafe in 1972. It became a hangout spot for L.A. mobster Aladena Fratianno and his small crew of hoods during the 1970's. Amarena dealt in stolen weapons, bookmaking and narcotics.

Amarena was a very powerful gangster with ties to many made members in the Tampa, New Orleans, L.A. and San Francisco families, but he was never made in any crime family of La Cosa Nostra. Amarena died of a heart attack on June 1, 1986 at the age of 65.
Posted By: JCB1977

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/14/13 06:09 PM

Jimmy "The Weasel" Frattiano was actually a member of the Cleveland Mob and was tied up with the old Mayfield Road Mob and went to L.A. under the direction of Tony & Frank Milano (both high ranking members of Cleveland) to work with Tony's sons, Carmen & Peter Milano who were also both Cleveland, OH natives. Frattiano was part of the conversations to blow up Danny Green.

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/14/13 06:14 PM

Yes indeed! Fratianno was a member of Cleveland before going to L.A. Never a made member of Cleveland just an associate.
Posted By: sam2222

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/15/13 02:23 AM

no he said in his book he was sponsored by john roselli and made by jack dragna. he was an associate in cleveland

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/15/13 04:13 AM

I've read FBI reports that he was a favorite of Tony Milano and John Scalish and that he was made in Cleveland.
Posted By: MOES

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/15/13 04:23 AM

Awesome Cleveland Rocks how long has Alice Coopers Restaurant been around across from the ballpark

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 02:29 AM

did you check the dates on the reports? I would guess they came out before his book where he said he was sponsored by roselli and made by jack dragna into the L.A. family. Seems silly that he would lie about that ?
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 03:40 AM

JCB and Stern are you sure about Fratianno being made in Cleveland, I know he was very close to the Milano's and Scalish, but I thought he was made by Dragna in 47' L.A. as Sam said.
Salvatore Amarena was always doing business with the Fratianno crew, Lanza hated that. It is said that is the reason Lanza never made Amarena.

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 07:00 AM

I never said he was made in Cleveland. He was an associate of the Cleveland mob with a lot of pull. Then moved to L.A. and was made there.

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 04:33 PM

Again, I can't confirm if he was made in Cleveland or L.A.. FBI records for Anthony Milano indicate that he was made by Scalish...but then he went out to L.A. under the protection of Milano. He very well could have been made by Dragna...but his counsel in Cleveland Family matters was sought quite a bit when Licavoli took over, especially in the Danny Green saga. If he was made in L.A. by Dragna, most likely, he was made because Anthony Milano told Dragna to give him his button. Milano controlled three of the major Hollywood unions and had enormous influence with Warner Brothers considering the Warner Brothers got their start in films in New Castle, PA and Lowellville, OH just outside of Youngstown.

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 04:35 PM

because he was close to tony delsanter. have you ever even read his book ??

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 04:42 PM

I've actually met him a few times while in Youngstown. He used to stop by my uncle Dominic Mallamo's CMAS (Calabrese Mutual Aide Society) Club to play pinochle with guys like Tony DelSanter, Jimmy Prato, Dominic & Frank Mallamo, Mike Romeo etc. He used to buy all of his suits at a tailor made mens clothing store in Youngstown called Lord Chesterfield, owned by my other uncle, Nicky Polito.

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 06:48 PM

so is that a no ? I would highly recomend it

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 06:57 PM

I've read the book about 12 years ago, and yes, it was a fantastic read.
Posted By: strococs

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 07:04 PM

what the name of his book?

Re: Sal Amarena - 12/16/13 07:12 PM

The Last Mafioso
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET