Home

Chuck Wepner

Posted By: FrankMazola

Chuck Wepner - 12/09/13 03:41 AM

Just watched the ESPN 30 for 30 on "The Real Rocky", Chuck Wepner. They make reference that Chuck worked for mob guys before he became a Pro and a liquor salesman. Anyone heard of this guy?

He would have been in Hudson County area NOT Philly.
Posted By: SC

Re: Chuck Wepner - 12/09/13 05:29 AM

Wepner, known as The Bayonne Bleeder (a reference to his hometown and the fact that he would bleed profusely in his fights) was a big banger. He'd hit hard and he could take a lot of punishment from other bangers. He fought Muhammad Ali in a story VERY similar to that of "Rocky". I don't know of his mob connections.

If you want to read about Jersey fighters and the mob I suggest (very strongly) that you read "Jersey Boy" about lightheavyweight Frankie DePaula. DePaula was one of my favorite fighters and I saw him box at the Garden two or three times. The book is a good read and gives some insight into the mob's connection with boxing. (DePaula was killed in the early '70s).
Posted By: Feech_La_Manna85

Re: Chuck Wepner - 12/21/13 12:29 AM

I just saw the book in B&N SC, didnt really have much time to read much of it though. Who in the mob was involved in his story?? I dindt notice many big names.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET