Home

Pitera's Murders

Posted By: LaLouisiane

Pitera's Murders - 10/22/13 08:41 PM

He was only convicted 6 murders but the estimates put him at between 30-60. Is that number a bit high?

Four I can Find right off the top of my head:

Willie Boy Johnson
Soloman Stern
Richard Leone
Phyllis Burdi

There are a few others that were mentioned in Carlos book that I cannot recall. Does anyone know any of the people he allegedly killed that haven't been brought forth yet?
Posted By: GaryH

Re: Pitera's Murders - 10/22/13 08:51 PM

I certainly wouldn't rule out as many as 60.
I would put Pitera in the "We'll never know his exact victim count" column along with Demeo

Re: Pitera's Murders - 10/22/13 08:55 PM

I wouldn't doubt the body count. But what do we know of total confirmed? 7-10? Wondering if anyone knows any names that he allegedly hit.
Posted By: bigboy

Re: Pitera's Murders - 10/24/13 12:46 AM

He also killed Greg Reiter with a shotgun. He was convicted of 18 of the 19 homicide counts he was charged with. Reiter was the son of Mark Reiter, a Gotti drug dealer

Re: Pitera's Murders - 10/24/13 11:29 AM

I thought they only pinned 3 or 4 murders on him??
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Pitera's Murders - 10/24/13 12:06 PM

Pitera stood trial for seven murders and two murder conspiracies: Richard Leone, Salomon Stren, Talal Siksik, Phyllis Burdi, Marek Kucharsky, Joseph Balzano, Wilfred Johnson and Andrew Jakakas. (I don´t know who the ninth victim was...Reiter?) He was found guilty in the Leone and Stern murders (in addition to racketeering, drug trafficking, and various firearms violations). But I´m not sure exactly if he was found guilty of murdering the other seven.

EDIT - Yeah, he was found guilty of six murders.

Re: Pitera's Murders - 10/24/13 03:16 PM

I read a year ago he tried appealing them saying that forensic evidence would show it was Gangi's DNA on the weapons and not his, but the judge shot him down saying it wouldn't prove that he didn't commit the murders.

That seems a little sketchy to me. If they could prove that Gangi's DNA was on those weapons and not Pitera, wouldn't it raise reasonable doubt?

I'm not saying Pitera's not a killer because there are many facts that prove he was with the collecting of the jewelry from the dead victims, but couldn't he use the defense that he only took the jewelry to fence at a later date and was only an accessory to the murders? As in being there when Gangi pulled the trigger but didn't actually pull it himself?

It kind of seems like the government stonewalled him on his appeal because if in fact it was Gangi's DNA the Feds would look very bad.
Posted By: JoeBuster

Re: Pitera's Murders - 10/25/13 09:18 PM

The number of unknown victims in both the Carlo book and the Mobster TV Series is always quoted as sixty.The question I have is where is this number coming from? He has been in jail for 20 years. If the DEA or FBI has any proof that his hit list reached 60 or more people why don't they publish some information on the victims? Lots of talk from the feds but no proof.
Posted By: Iceman999

Re: Pitera's Murders - 10/26/13 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: LaLouisiane
I read a year ago he tried appealing them saying that forensic evidence would show it was Gangi's DNA on the weapons and not his, but the judge shot him down saying it wouldn't prove that he didn't commit the murders.

That seems a little sketchy to me. If they could prove that Gangi's DNA was on those weapons and not Pitera, wouldn't it raise reasonable doubt?

I'm not saying Pitera's not a killer because there are many facts that prove he was with the collecting of the jewelry from the dead victims, but couldn't he use the defense that he only took the jewelry to fence at a later date and was only an accessory to the murders? As in being there when Gangi pulled the trigger but didn't actually pull it himself?

It kind of seems like the government stonewalled him on his appeal because if in fact it was Gangi's DNA the Feds would look very bad.

Feds with dirty hands?!? Surely you jest. smile
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET