Home

New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 (Added 1987)

Posted By: Snakes

New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 (Added 1987) - 10/21/13 11:09 PM

This is from the same Senate subcommittee that produced the charts I posted in the other thread. The rosters include name, address, date of birth, and criminal record file number. I will do one family at a time:

Gambino crime family

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12
Posted By: Flushing

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 04:16 AM

This is a good post. Thanks.

A glance at the soldiers addresses shows a lot in south Brooklyn, staten island and lower manhattan (both little Italy and the east village). Relatively few soldiers from Bronx or Queens.

I also noticed a Chicago soldier listed: Joseph Lo Piccolo
Posted By: Gotti

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 06:01 AM

Thanks. Can't wait to see the rest.
Posted By: JoeP

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 01:38 PM

Thanks!! really cool chart
funny to see some of the neighborhoods these guys lived are now ghetto's.
keep em coming.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 01:45 PM

Genovese crime family

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12

Page 13
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 02:45 PM

Nice lists..thanks Snakes.

They seemed to have missed John Gambino on the list of guys from the Gambinos. He was definitely a made guy in 83. I'm surprised they missed him because in 83 he was well known and the target of many investigations. But besides him it looks like they have pretty much everyone i can think of.

Besides the 5 NYC families did they put out one of those lists for the Philly family? Or one on the Outfit and NE?

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 03:14 PM

This was the Outfit chart/roster released from the Chicago portion of the subcommittee's hearings. Chicago referred to both made guys and associates as soldiers so a large percentage of those listed as such below are not actually "made" per se. Even some of the "lieutenants" are merely high-ranking associates:

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
Nice lists..thanks Snakes.

They seemed to have missed John Gambino on the list of guys from the Gambinos. He was definitely a made guy in 83. I'm surprised they missed him because in 83 he was well known and the target of many investigations. But besides him it looks like they have pretty much everyone i can think of.

Besides the 5 NYC families did they put out one of those lists for the Philly family? Or one on the Outfit and NE?

They may have considered Gambino a "zip" and not an actual member of the Gambino crime family.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 03:29 PM

Thanks for the Outfit chart Snakes. Those NY lists are pretty impressive.

It's possible they considered Gambino to be a member of the sicilian mafia, thats what a lot of people believed back then.

But at Gambino's trial in 93 or 94 Gravano testified Gambino was made into the Gambino LCN family in either 1975 or 76.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 03:30 PM

This Philly chart is also from the hearings:

Philadelphia Crime Family Chart/Roster

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 03:35 PM

DeCavalcante crime family chart/roster

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Snakes
This Philly chart is also from the hearings:

Philadelphia Crime Family Chart/Roster

Excellent...thanks again Snakes.
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 03:50 PM

This is a really good post. Thanks for putting this all together.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 04:14 PM

thanks for sharing buddy,

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 06:12 PM

Colombo crime family

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5
Posted By: SiciNy

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 06:26 PM

snakes these lists are great, do you have anything on the Bonannos?

well done

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 06:32 PM

Bonanno crime family

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 07:05 PM

Gotta say that is pretty cool info Snakes!
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 07:31 PM

Very nice charts man, thanks for sharing.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 07:35 PM

This is great. I love how these addresses show a distinct geographic turf of each family. Bonannos had Williamsburg, Bushwick, Maspeth Middle village on lock. The whole stretch really was theirs. Also the subset section of Little Italy including Madison, Monroe and Pearl Streets was theirs.

If I have time I will plot these soldier addreses on a map, since it seems all the capos have made enough money to move up to Scarsdale, which has nothing to do with mob activity.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 07:49 PM

Btw, who was "doctor" Gregory Genovese?

And does anybody know what numbers the feds estimated for the Bonannos on their chart? Unfortunately that part on the main chart is faded.
Posted By: SiciNy

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 07:57 PM

Snakes-how the hell did you find all this info giving home addresses? good find btw.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:05 PM

This is from the Senate Subcommittee Hearings on Organized Crime in 1983. They had several dates which focused on NY/NJ, the Mid-Atlantic (Philly/Scranton/Pittsburgh), and Chicago. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot on New England, at least from what I've seen.

SiciNy: There is an introductory page before each roster and the Bonannos lists 195 "made" members of the family, as of 1983.
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:07 PM

Does anyone know when Pitera was made with the Bonannos? He doesnt seem to be on there.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:09 PM

This is from the Senate Subcommittee Hearings on Organized Crime in 1983.

Was this the Subcommittee hearing that Nicky Scarfo was at and just kept invoking his 5th amendment right to not answer their questions? Bobby Simone was with him.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:11 PM

Not real sure but the Senate hearings in 1988 have him as being made.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
This is from the Senate Subcommittee Hearings on Organized Crime in 1983.

Was this the Subcommittee hearing that Nicky Scarfo was at and just kept invoking his 5th amendment right to not answer their questions? Bobby Simone was with him.

Yeah, that's it. They actually go into extensive detail concerning Philly.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:14 PM

Lucchese crime family

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:15 PM

SiciNy: There is an introductory page before each roster and the Bonannos lists 195 "made" members of the family, as of 1983.

Where can you see this exactly? 195 made members seem to be quite high for the Bonannos at the time. Most sources estimate their numbers in the late 70s/early 80s at 150 made members. Also, because the numbers listed for the other families are quite conservative on these charts.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:24 PM

I am not quite sure why they estimated it at that number either, especially considering they only have 121 members listed in the roster immediately following. I am guessing it was just an overestimation on their part.

Bonanno family "cover" page

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:30 PM

I am not quite sure why they estimated it at that number either, especially considering they only have 121 members listed in the roster immediately following. I am guessing it was just an overestimation on their part.

Bonanno family "cover" page

The list doesn't include many of the Montreal Bonannos, such as the Rizzutos, Di Maulos, etc. So they most definitely had more than 121 made members, but 195 seems a bit too high, considering the Genoveses are estimated at 200.
Posted By: mulberry

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 08:55 PM

Vic Amuso was a soldier in 83 and became boss by 86?
Posted By: pmac

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 09:12 PM

cool list. took a look at the Colombo family they were ancient. all old guys nowonder Colombo first then snake were pushing to make young guys they had 3/4 of the family being over 65 in 1983. all Brooklyn and s.i.. they probably missed a lot of guys richie fusco just 1.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/22/13 09:15 PM

I am pretty sure Vic was a capo by that point. The feds are not 100% up to date on their info at all times. Just look at the Genovese hierarchy, I don't think they got a single one right!

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 12:54 AM

Tough Tony Federici from Corona and Parkside Restaurant fame is listed here as a Lucchese soldier, not Genovese.
Posted By: Camarel

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 01:44 AM

Thanks alot for these Snakes.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 05:00 AM

Bonanno family plotted on google maps:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?hl=en&mid=zqvM-qHIH63s.knWV7dwx0XBo

I omitted the staten island addresses out of pure laziness. The map shows an aggregation of soldiers in Bushwick (knickerbocker avenue zips) and Bath Avenue.

Thanks Snake for all this stuff.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 07:04 AM

The lists are cool but they are not fully accurate. And as you can see, they are not complete. A lot of names are missing and there are names on the lists that should not be there. For example, if you take a look at the Bonanno list, there are names of Rochester guys listed. These Rochester guys were actually members of the Rochester Family. I don´t know exactly how they ended up on the Bonanno list. And like Sonny pointed out, the Montreal faction is not listed. Some guys on the lists are listed in the wrong Family and some, far from all, but some birth dates are wrong.

In some cases, members who were just soldiers are incorrectly listed as captains (or higher). I don´t know exactly when these hearings took place, but I suspect these lists were compiled some years after the hearings. Because some of the guys listed as captains, were actually captains later on (not in 1983). Joe LaForte (Gambino), Anthony Casso (Lucchese), Vincent DiNapoli (Lucchese, actually Genovese member and I´m not sure he was a captain in the first place) and Victor Orena (Colombo) comes to mind. And some of the captains listed were actually captains, or acting captains, in the 1960s or 1970s, but romoved from their positions way before 1983.

Overall...cool lists. I love the home addresses listed. But one thing to keep in mind is that many of these guys were not active in the area they lived in. For example, some guys who lived in NJ, were active in NY City etc.
Posted By: TommyGambino

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 11:08 AM

Noticed Crea isn't on the Lucchese list..When was he made?

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 11:37 AM

What is interesting is that if these number estimates are correct, the numbers haven't changed much in the last thirty years.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 12:17 PM

I will also post the 1987 rosters from that particular set of hearings so we can compare the two lists.
Posted By: littlemango

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 06:23 PM

This is good stuff.

I wonder, for the conversation about having guys misranked (which is always going to an issue with these fed lists because the point of thees gangs for the authorities to not know what's going on) is obviously not knowing who reports to who and why. Like with Casso, wasn't he a made guy reporting directly to christie tick so in public amongst another family members he'd be accorded the respect of a captain because he reports directly to a boss, but he's technically not at that rank.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: TommyGambino

I believe Crea was made in 1982. He is one of the many names missing on the lists. I´ m not trying to be nitpicking but another thing I´ve noticed is that some of the guys listed were actually dead by 1983.
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/23/13 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

I believe Crea was made in 1982. He is one of the many names missing on the lists. I´ m not trying to be nitpicking but another thing I´ve noticed is that some of the guys listed were actually dead by 1983.

I agree. they left a good amount of people. i think in 1983 there werent as many rats/informants as there were in the 90's and 200's so they probably ahd limited info

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/24/13 01:19 AM

Way too many guys missing like tommy agro, fat andy ruggiano, gene gotti, quack quack ruggiero, lenny dimaria, nicky corozzo etc
Posted By: jcapo3

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/24/13 01:53 AM

Corrao also not listed.
Posted By: stealth44

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/24/13 02:07 AM

Thanks, thought there would be more in SI. Also, they seemed older.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/24/13 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Flushing
[quote=Snakes]Lucchese crime family

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Plotted Luchesse on google maps:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zqvM-qHIH63s.kPdtuAgydNYI

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/24/13 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: JCrusher

I agree. they left a good amount of people. i think in 1983 there werent as many rats/informants as there were in the 90's and 200's so they probably ahd limited info

Now 30 years later, it´s easy to spot the mistakes made on these charts. In a 30 year spam, I´m sure people will find mistakes with charts that are made today, even with the ones made by LE. I agree with you, there´s a lot of more informants today than 30 years ago, but mistakes will always be made with these kind of charts.
Posted By: JoeP

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/24/13 02:35 PM

Lenny Dimaria & Nicky are listed under the gambino

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 10/24/13 06:27 PM

These are the administrative charts and rosters from the 1987 subcommittee. We can now compare these to the ones from 1983.

Bonanno Family Chart

Bonanno Family Soldiers

Colombo Family Chart (Difficult to read)

Colombo Family Soldiers

Gambino Family Chart

Gambino Family Soldiers

Genovese Family Chart

Genovese Family Soldiers

Lucchese Family Chart

Lucchese Family Soldiers
Posted By: Gotti

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 11/02/13 12:24 PM

Nice one.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 02/20/15 11:00 AM

Worthy of a bump...Thanks for putting this together Snakes.

Posted By: PhillyMob

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 02/20/15 01:33 PM

Yes I agree. Some very in depth charts. Good jobs on this snakes.
Posted By: ItalianIrishMix

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 02/20/15 09:57 PM

Nice Charts!.......One thing I am recognizing by going through them is I understand why The Genovese Family was considered the IVY League.....That is because 80-90% of their members in 1983 were in the 50-80 year old range.....Their were very little young whipper snappers in their crew. The majority of them understood the older world values their entire career.......The Bonannos had a few kids in their ranks in 83 (Bonventre,Amato,Masino,etc.)

Best charts I have seen in a long time AND, we get to see their home addresses to view on Google Street View.

Did these charts come from the University of Michigan,Penn State, Perdue? It says that on the bottom of the pages.

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 02/20/15 10:51 PM

Robert DiBernardo listed as a DeCalvacante capo
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: New York Family Rosters, circa 1983 - 02/21/15 02:24 PM

The lists are cool but they are not fully accurate. And as you can see, they are not complete. A lot of names are missing and there are names on the lists that should not be there. For example, if you take a look at the Bonanno list, there are names of Rochester guys listed. These Rochester guys were actually members of the Rochester Family. I don´t know exactly how they ended up on the Bonanno list. And like Sonny pointed out, the Montreal faction is not listed. Some guys on the lists are listed in the wrong Family and some, far from all, but some birth dates are wrong.

I can help explain how the FBI may have got that idea and probably fed it to Valachi. Do you remember "Black" Jim Colletti? He was the Denver boss who attended Apalachin. Colletti helped found the Rochester mob during Prohibition and also spent time in NYC. He was definitely a leader of the Rochester mob who helped start the crime family as it became known in later years. And he had ties to NYC. Eventally He settled in Springfield and then Denver where he became a leader. Pretty soon his closest tie to NYC was the Bonanno Family, when he entered in to ownership of the Colorado Cheese Company with Joe Bonanno. Colletti is also mistakenly listed as a Bonanno member. Tenuous connection but interesting nonetheless.

When the Rochester family faced a leadership crisis and wanted to approve a new boss, they turned to the Bonannos to approve him. There was history there, just not common knowledge.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET