Home

Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ

Posted By: ScottD

Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/27/13 07:32 PM

Had dinner Tuesday night at Gaetano's in Denver. This was the headquarters of the Smaldone family from 1947 through the early 1990s. There are photos of the Smaldones all over the restaurant, and a Denver org chart on the bathroom wall (the previous owners sent me a large laminated copy of this one a few years back- its very cool). The current owners gave me a tour of the basement and showed me the hidden rooms where the Smaldones ran card and carps games, as well as the entrance to an underground tunnel that dates back to Prohibition.

The resto was bought a few years ago by the Breckenridge brewery group. It's an interesting mix of original decor with a modern twist. They have a good menu and an excellent craft cocktail list- all named after gangsters. The Quiet Dom, the Breeze, the Sonny Red, the Whitey Bulger, etc. I had the Breeze, the Sonny Red, the Hook, and a gin-based version of a Manhattan. They were all expertly crafted libations.

Posted By: jace

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/27/13 11:52 PM

Does Denver stil have a Mafia Family active there?
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/27/13 11:57 PM

In 2006 when clearence smaldone died he was one of two members of the family still alive, so now theres only 1 guy left. So no theres not.
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/28/13 12:00 AM

I wanna say his name is Eugene Smaldone Jr? Don't quote me though its fuckiing Colorado
Posted By: mulberry

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/28/13 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: jace
Does Denver stil have a Mafia Family active there?

I don't think they ever did. At most, they had about 5-10 guys and a some bookies who laid bets off to them. If they weren't Italian, they would just be a group of bookies who loaned money to degenerate gamblers.
Posted By: ScottD

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/28/13 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyBoy117
I wanna say his name is Eugene Smaldone Jr? Don't quote me though its fuckiing Colorado

Hes not involved. No more family in either Denver or Pueblo, where Jim Coletti held sway.
Posted By: Chicago

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/28/13 04:30 PM

Mulberry, Actually they did have a small family in Denver that was one of the 24 Mafia Groups in the nation. They did more than what you stated.
It was structured around the Smaldone's. They were represented by Chicago years ago on the Commission.
They ran the usual rackets in Denver and also Pueblo.
If the Denver Family had a problem they couldn't solve on their own, they would contact Spilotro in Las Vegas who would contact his Boss in Chicago who was Lombardo.
Posted By: 12thStreet

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/28/13 04:46 PM

I've heard of them..My grandfather was the oldest of 13 children. His father had a job on the railroad in the late 19th early 20th Centuries. My grandfather was born in New Orleans and had brothers and sisters born in New York, Chicago, Pueblo Colorado, and even back in Sicily as they all had moved back there for several years before returning to America and settling on Taylor Street here in Chicago. My grandfather's youngest sister married a guy allegedly from that Denver Outfit and they settled in Pueblo. From what my Uncle would tell me, back in those days Denver answered to KC and KC answered to Chicago though it makes sense that they would have reached out to Spilotro in Vegas too.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/28/13 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyBoy117

Yeah, that's his name. He's in his 70's and may not even live in Colorado anymore.
Posted By: HandsomeStevie

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/22/14 01:11 PM

I am moving to Denver next week, and I am definitely going to check this place out. Love me some great italan food!
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/22/14 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: HandsomeStevie
I am moving to Denver next week, and I am definitely going to check this place out. Love me some great italan food!

Why the fuck are you moving to Colorado? They don't even have olive oil in Colorado tongue grin
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/22/14 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
They don't even have olive oil in Colorado tongue grin

wrong! grin

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/22/14 01:32 PM

lol lol

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/23/14 04:19 PM

heres the pic from the bathroom...

Attached picture denverfam.jpg

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/23/14 04:20 PM

Why the fuck are you moving to Colorado? They don't even have olive oil in Colorado tongue grin

Well PB, right now its where the work is..

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/23/14 04:20 PM

Well PB, right now its where the work is..

Good for you, buddy smile.
Posted By: mike68

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/25/14 12:15 PM

HandsomeStevie's picture sharing penchant has caught up to him and he was 'advised' to move west of the Mississippi.

By the way Stevie, if the 'advisor' offers to drive you to Denver himself, do not get in the car!!
Posted By: Hamilton

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/25/14 01:29 PM

heres the pic from the bathroom...

Pictures are being taken in the bathroom now lol lol lol

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/25/14 03:03 PM

Mike nobody advises me to do anything ever.
Posted By: mike68

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 06/25/14 03:23 PM

Mike nobody advises me to do anything ever.

Just kidding bro
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/01/14 01:07 AM

There are only 3 or 4 members left, this is of course assuming that Michael Pauldino and Joe Raso have passed on. Made members left are Anthony Ligrani, Eugene Smaldone Jr, Charles "Chuckie the Enforcer" Smaldone, and possibly Stan Lamirato but mostly likely just an associate. The Denver family has pretty much been dead with the passing of Albert Guarasci, Joseph Losasso, and Paul "Fat Paulie" Villano in the early 2000's.

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/01/14 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
There are only 3 or 4 members left, this is of course assuming that Michael Pauldino and Joe Raso have passed on. Made members left are Anthony Ligrani, Eugene Smaldone Jr, Charles "Chuckie the Enforcer" Smaldone, and possibly Stan Lamirato but mostly likely just an associate. The Denver family has pretty much been dead with the passing of Albert Guarasci, Joseph Losasso, and Paul "Fat Paulie" Villano in the early 2000's.

And who are they scaring, in a state where any 18 year old can buy a Sig Sauer P226 and a bag of Cheez Doodles in the same convenience store? tongue lol
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/01/14 01:30 AM

Probably trick or treaters on Halloween.

Re: Gaetano's in Denver- former Mafia HQ - 07/01/14 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Probably trick or treaters on Halloween.

There you go lol.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET