Home

Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966

Posted By: Chicago

Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 01:36 AM

The Beatles of the Outfit: Never was and never will be equaled again in Chicago.

Note: Tony Accardo was the other Senior Advisor over the entire Outfit, but he was with the Elmwood Park Crew.

Taylor St:

Paul Ricca, Senior Advisor (over entire Outfit)
Sam Giancana, Boss (over entire Outfit)
Sam Battaglia, Capo
Fiore Bucciere, Capo

Sammy DeStefano, Made Guy
Willie Daddano, Made Guy
Chuckie English, Made Guy
Rocco Potenza, Made Guy
Phil Alderisio, Made Guy
Chuckie Nicoletti, Made Guy
James Mirro, Made Guy
Frank Bucciere, Made Guy
Turk Torello, Made Guy
Joe Ferriola, Made Guy
Dominic Cortina, Made Guy
Donald Angelini, Made Guy
Frank Caruso, Made Guy
Joey Glimco, Made Guy
Pat Marcy, Made Guy
Frank Ferraro, Made Guy
Dominic Blasi, Made Guy
Joey Lombardo, Made Guy
Rocky DeGrazia, Made Guy
Marshall Caifano, Made Guy
William Aloisio, Made Guy
Leonard Gianola, Made Guy
Vincent Inserro, Made Guy
John Lardino, Made Guy
Rocco Pranno, Made Guy
Rocco Salvatore, Made Guy
Johnny Roselli, Made Guy
Rocky Infelice, Made Guy
Bobby Ansani, Made Guy
Johnny Formosa, Made Guy

Note: Does not include:
Elmwood Park Crew
Cicero Crew
North Side/ Rush St. Crew
Chicago Heights Crew
Non-Italian Crew

Note: Only Made guys listed above:
Does not include Soldier/Associates who worked full time under the made guys in all the Franchises.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 01:48 AM

A lot of heavyweights in that lineup.
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 02:07 AM

Are you sure about Aloisio? He operated in the area of Elmwood Park and was connected to Tony Capezio

Also, Ansani was a Cicero guy close to Aiuppa; other sources connect Cortina and Angelini to Cicero too

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 02:18 AM

I believe Smokes Aloisio was with Sam Battaglia making him Taylor St. He was boss of the old 34rth Ward.

Cortina, Angelini and Ansani were all original Taylor St men.
AFTER the changing of the guard, they became Cicero men under Ferriola with Auippa.

What I listed was the Crew BEFORE the Changing of the Guard.

Posted By: F_white

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 02:28 AM

Great list a lot of the big timer here.
Posted By: PP

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 02:34 AM

Impressive crew.

So- all those made guys had there own crew of soldiers?

And if they had there own crew of soldiers, who did they interact with a daily basis more? The crew of made men or THEIR crew of soldiers?

Sorry for this questions about minutiae but that's what I find interesting.

When you read books about Gambino's or a NYC family, they mention social clubs where crew of soldiers spent a lot of time. Did the Taylor St crew of made men all hang out/operate at a social club per se? Did they operate out of numerous places? Or would a made guy have his own place where he would operate out of with HIS crew of soldiers?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 02:59 AM

Yes. Each made guy had a crew of associates who worked under him full time. Sometimes in Chicago they were refered to as soldiers, but usually they were just refered to as 'His guys'

The made guy would be with his guys and then he would be with his Boss and the other made guys. The made guys would come around with some of the guys working under them also.
The Boss of the crew would be aware of the Guys working under the made guys because that's where the advancement would come into play at the right time.

The soldier/associates would be kept at a friendly arm's length. In other words, there were not privy to all the things a made was privy to for security reasons.

A soldier/associate's power pretty much began and ended with made guy for whom he worked.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 08:44 AM

The Taylor St. men were either with Fiore Bucciere (West Side), Sam Battaglia (West Suburbs) or were directly with Giancana/Ricca.

All the other crews were partnered in one way or another with Taylor St. There was no official Underboss of the Outfit during this reign.

The 3 Top Men were: Ricca, Accardo, Giancana.

If anything, You could say Battaglia & Bucciere were Giancana's underbosses. When Giancana wasn't available, and Ricca or Accardo were unavailable, other Crew Bosses would take some direction from Battaglia or Bucciere, in particular, Battaglia.

If it was more of a political concern, direction was given by Murray Humphreys, Boss of the Non-Italian faction and a very smart well respected Man.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 09:30 AM

In general, do you know who the actual underbosses were? Several older inside sources say that Giancana was Accardo's underboss for a few years before Accardo retired and Giancana replaced him. The FBI has Ferraro then Battaglia as Mooney's underbosses, but you, Fosco and others say that he had no underboss. Later, when Aiuppa was the boss it is usually reported that Cerone was his underboss. There are a lot of gaps to fill.

Then the FBI says that the consiglieri are actually the top bosses, the CEOs, like Ricca, who was in this position until he died in 1972. But a real consigliere is a position elected by the members to represent their interests and who they go to in case of a problem if they can't solve it with their capo. The consigliere is often the one does the ceremonies, although in Chicago there was no ceremony while Ricca was alive. So I consider Ricca more like a chairman and I have to wonder if Chicago ever had a real consigliere.
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 09:43 AM

Great stuff Chicago!
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 09:55 AM

so in what year did the grumblings about giancana start?

i'm sure people were unhappy with him before 1966

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: cookcounty
so in what year did the grumblings about giancana start?

i'm sure people were unhappy with him before 1966

I'd guess whatever year he came back to Chicago.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 11:18 AM

Faithful1, If we were to assign Titles, Ricca and Accardo would be Senior Advisors. But I guarantee you Ricca or Accardo never referred to themselves with any kind of Title. LOL
But, for practical purposes, if you want to define their ROLES in the Outfit, They were Senior Advisors. The former two Top Bosses who semi-retired. It's just that simple.

Underbosses. In Chicago they call this man the #2.
Okay, here we go:

Follow me! When Ricca was the Top boss of the Outfit, Accardo was the #2. Taylor St & Grand Ave (Which later became Elmwood Park because they moved further west.)

When Ricca went to jail, Accardo was the 'Acting Boss' temporarily because Ricca was gone for a bit. It would be like an Executive Vice President of a big Company acting as President temporarily while the real President is gone.

Giancana, Ricca's PERSONAL UNDERBOSS in the Taylor St Crew now stepped up and became 'Acting Boss' of Taylor St (because Ricca was temporarily gone) and 'Acting #2' of the entire Outfit.

When Ricca came home, things went back to the original way until RICCA & ACCARDO BOTH semi-retired. Then Giancana became Boss of Taylor St and Top Boss for Good.
Ricca & Accardo were his Senior Advisors. Accardo WANTED Cerone (who now officially became Boss of Elmwood Park), to be Giancana's full partner and the #2 over the entire Outfit. Giancana REFUSED. Get it? That's what started the riff. Giancana didn't want to share power with Cerone. He was aready sharing it with Ricca AND Accardo.

When Giancana left, Battaglia became Boss of Taylor St and Top Boss of the Outfit.
STILL THERE WAS NOONE #2.

When Battaglia was gone, Alderisio stepped up and became Boss of Taylor St and Top Boss of the Outfit.
(Bucciere wasn't feeling 100%)
STILL THERE WAS NOONE #2.

CHANGING OF THE GUARD:

Auippa became the Top Boss of the Outfit. Cicero now became the Dominent Crew with the demise of Taylor St from jail and attrition. There was some reorganization.
Cerone became the #2. (Elmwood Park sub-dominant Crew)
Ricca and Accardo were still the Senior Advisors until Ricca died in 1972. Then it was only Accardo.

Don't make me explain this again. Cut and paste it! LOL!!
Posted By: TommyGambino

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 12:11 PM

I thought DeStefano was never made?
Posted By: jonnynonos

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 12:17 PM

Cool list.

Lombardo is the only one still alive, right?

Who was the last one to die before him?

Too bad he'll never write a book!

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: TommyGambino

Chicago has answered that like 12 times lol. Yes he was made.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

Well why does all he information available say he wasn't. Surely the Feds would have known if he was made.
Posted By: Snakes

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 06:12 PM

Lombardo is pretty much the last man standing from that group. There are a couple of guys that I am not certain are dead gut given the average age of the other crew members, I can say with a decent amount of certainty that they are gone.

As far as I know, Caifano was the last to kick the bucket before Lumby almost ten years ago.
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 06:39 PM

Well why does all he information available say he wasn't. Surely the Feds would have known if he was made.

You're from England. Can t get everything from the internet and feds.
Posted By: PP

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Chicago

CHANGING OF THE GUARD:

Auippa became the Top Boss of the Outfit. Cicero now became the Dominent Crew with the demise of Taylor St from jail and attrition. There was some reorganization.
Cerone became the #2. (Elmwood Park sub-dominant Crew)
Ricca and Accardo were still the Senior Advisors until Ricca died in 1972. Then it was only Accardo.

Don't make me explain this again. Cut and paste it! LOL!!

With the changing of the guard, who forced this issue? Did Accardo broach the subject with Cicero? Did Cicero force the issue with Accardo?

Also, when a crew changed it's home base, part of Taylor St moved to Elmwood Park, for example, why Elmwood Park? Why not another area?
Posted By: 12thStreet

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 06:59 PM

I think it was probably Accardo ( backed by the alliance of Aiuppa/Cerone ) who pushed it with Ricca. By the time it occurred in 69 or 70 or whatever I'm sure Ricca had to agree with them. There already had been several bosses from Taylor Street and a changing of the guard was necessary.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

You're from England. Can t get everything from the internet and feds.

Didn't say I could.

DeStefano is well known, been documentaries on him. No crime writers have ever come out and said he was a made guy. Ill go with what Chicago OC historians say, he wasn't made.
Posted By: goldhawkroad

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 07:23 PM

TommyG: I have also read several outfit related books but something tells me "Chicago" is a bit more in the know compared to the likes of Bill Roemer etc.

But like they say, arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics, even if u win u are still retarded..

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 07:26 PM

Other guys on here in the past have also said that Sam was made.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 07:46 PM

I AM a published organized historian. I have his complete FBI files and many others and can tell you that Roemer was mistaken. He believed DeStefano's denial which doesn't makes sense. Does anyone think that if he asked Accardo or Giancana that same question that they would have admitted membership in an organized crime family? Yet I don't think that he had any doubts that they were. There is plenty of evidence in the files themselves that DeStefano was made. There is evidence on other things that Roemer overlooked and was mistaken about. I don't think that makes Roemer a bad guy, but he wasn't the best historian.

So DeStefano was made. Chicago is a reliable poster who had access to inside information. Joe Fosco is another who's info you can rely on. There are others as well who either had access or continue to have access to inside information and are credible sources. There may be slight disagreements between some of them, but on the whole their facts jibe with each other.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 08:48 PM

I think Fosco is reliable to a degree, but not totally. He definitely had ulterior motives with that site.

However, you definitely could learn a ton from reading the articles and in particular from the dialogue below.

A lot of the information on organized crime tends to be shrouded in mystery, just due to the nature of the subject.

Even when people flip, they still lie.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 09:56 PM

Tommy Gambino, Funny name for an Englishman. You read a lot a books, do ya mate?
Well, in 1964 when the Beatles came here from England, some reporters asked
John Lennon " What was it like growing up in Liverpool?"
Lennon replied " Oh, we're not from Liverpool, didn't you hear, We're from Hamburg. "
Based upon this information that I read, I'll go with the fact that the Beatles were from Germany.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 11:06 PM

Tommy Gambino, Funny name for an Englishman. You read a lot a books, do ya mate?
Well, in 1964 when the Beatles came here from England, some reporters asked
John Lennon " What was it like growing up in Liverpool?"
Lennon replied " Oh, we're not from Liverpool, didn't you hear, We're from Hamburg. "
Based upon this information that I read, I'll go with the fact that the Beatles were from Germany.

Why is that a funny username for an Englishman, this is a mafia forum, but yeah nice attempt at humour, I suspect you're very old.

Just because I simply disagree with your post you try and mock me.

Making that comparison is beyond stupid. The Beattles were clearly from Liverpool, there's no evidence that Sam was made.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 11:18 PM

YOU'RE FROM ENGLAND! End of discussion

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 11:33 PM

Tommy Gambino, I'm 106 years old. You can believe that Sam DeStefano was not made if that makes you happy and I'll believe the Beatles were from Germany. Who cares? It doesn't matter to me at all.

The point, which you missed, is that DeStefano told Roemer he wasn't made AS A JOKE, just like Lennon was joking he was from Germany.
Besides, all made guys in Chicago ALWAYS say they are not made, joking or not joking. Why would they say they were made? What would they gain from it except a stiffer jail sentence? Lombardo said he was not made in A NEWSPAPER AD HE PLACED.

My father KNEW Sammy DeStefano. They were both with Ricca and Giancana direct.

Believe whatever you want to make yourself happy. I was only joking with you to make a point. No problem from me at all.
Posted By: SgWaue86

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 11:44 PM

I,ve posted this before I thought it was great. Horsy F made it so credit goes to him.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/73470041/Taylor-St

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 11:45 PM

Here's another good for the entire Outfit 74-85.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/74456358/Chicago-Outfit-1974-1985

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 11:47 PM

We have no evidence, really, of anyone, or barely anyone, being made. As far as I know there are no photographs of the process and they never found a secret list of made guys, etc.

The point is, why in the hell would DeStefano NOT be made. He was a gangster, political fixer, mob murder, 42 gang vet and probably the biggest loan shark in the city for something like 30 years. Plus he was obviously Italian.

Saying he wasn't made is like saying Tony Spilotro wasn't made. I guess there is no direct evidence to contradict it but if either guy weren't made, it would be extremely strange.

Sometimes you can have to fill in the blanks yourself.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/24/13 11:49 PM

Nicky Eyes1 you are terrible man, you dick ride the outfit and YOU do find all your info ON THE NET stop acting like your around people. Don't tell someone your form England end of discussion, Your a Dick rider end of discussion.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 12:10 AM

SgWaue86, those charts were really good, and a LOT of work went into them.

Hopefully some serious authors saved those as references. Those guys really knew their stuff and spent a long time working on those.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 12:26 AM

jonnynonos, I saw those charts once before. They are very good and I commented on them. They are basically the same thing I've stated. They really came from elmwoodparker who was The Don on Fosco's blog. He got banned from here. Anyway, He dictated the whole thing to a guy named Horsey Fart. Horsey Fart did the design.

Elmwood, (The Don) was excellent on the older Outfit stuff. He was just too much of a fan boy with the MODERN Outfit and he insulted New York like Cook County tries to do. Other than him not knowing about the modern Outfit and being insulting, yeh, he was great with the older stuff. No question.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 12:39 AM

Ah, that's too bad he is always getting banned. He really knew his stuff! So did that Black Angelo guy, and a few more over there as well.

I read all those guys' comments. I used to comment there occasionally under a different name. I didn't want Fosco to freak out and think DiFronzo was stalking him, LOL. Crazy but not outside the realm of possibility on that nutty site!

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:44 AM

jonnynonos, I saw those charts once before. They are very good and I commented on them. They are basically the same thing I've stated. They really came from elmwoodparker who was The Don on Fosco's blog. He got banned from here. Anyway, He dictated the whole thing to a guy named Horsey Fart. Horsey Fart did the design.

Elmwood, (The Don) was excellent on the older Outfit stuff. He was just too much of a fan boy with the MODERN Outfit and he insulted New York like Cook County tries to do. Other than him not knowing about the modern Outfit and being insulting, yeh, he was great with the older stuff. No question.

who the fuck are you to tell me what I can and cannot say?

I coulda sworn that you said in one of your first post that you weren't that knowledgeable on the current outfit

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: SgWaue86
Nicky Eyes1 you are terrible man, you dick ride the outfit and YOU do find all your info ON THE NET stop acting like your around people. Don't tell someone your form England end of discussion, Your a Dick rider end of discussion.

Fuck off don't make assumptions over the internet you piece of shit.

May I ask what homosexual thoughts are on your mind when you keep saying dick riding? Lived in Chicago all my life and never heard an Italian guy from Melrose Park say that to another Italian so constantly as you do.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 03:08 AM

Cook County, I never said I didn't know about the current Outfit. I said ELMWOOD didn't know about the current Outfit.

You can make all the dumb comments you want, I'm not stopping You! In Fact, I think you should make more comments about Zimmerman, Black People and the Outfit. I think it's great! Keep in mind that everybody on this FORUM likes you about as much as the Outfit liked your people.

Then, when you've exhausted yourself, You need to take an anger management class. LOL

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 05:49 AM

PP, To answer your question:

The Changing of the Guard was because Giancana was gone, Battaglia was dead, Alderisio was dead, Bucciere was not in good Health, Daddano was in jail etc.
Accardo pushed for the change. Ricca was not in the greatest health and agreed because he really liked and respected Accardo and he would get his end from him.

The old Grand Ave power base moved to Elmwood Park, not Taylor St. This happened right after 1950.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 05:55 AM

The Feds did know he was made. Why Roemer denied it is beyond me. Here´s a small excerpt from a list showing the made guys of the outfit. Both Sam and his brother Mario is listed.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 06:28 AM

PP, To answer your question:

The Changing of the Guard was because Giancana was gone, Battaglia was dead, Alderisio was dead, Bucciere was not in good Health, Daddano was in jail etc.
Accardo pushed for the change. Ricca was not in the greatest health and agreed because he really liked and respected Accardo and he would get his end from him.

The old Grand Ave power base moved to Elmwood Park, not Taylor St. This happened right after 1950.

I would guess that it had something to do with Tony Capezio, who had a bad heart. He died in 1955 while playing golf. I'm not sure if he replaced Accardo as the Grand Ave capo when Accardo moved up, or if Accardo started out under Capezio with Accardo being his personal underboss, then Accardo moved up while Capezio liked where he was at.
Posted By: HuronSocialAthletic

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 06:50 AM

cookcounty you're a good guy, and you're one of the few level headed folks that post here. Don't let these guys get to ya. Apparently you're allowed to get away with blatant racism here if you're "in good" with the moderators. And if you're not, telling the truth about certain members will get you suspended/banned. It's whatever, who cares.

White flight absolutely had a huge part to do with the Outfit moving away from the city proper. It wasn't the sole reason, but it was a big part. You're absolutely correct on that. Chicago is, and will always be a "black" city, whether we euro descendants like it or not. Hell, the damn city was founded by a black guy. Italians & Irish especially have always resented that.

Again, keep up the honest contributions & don't let them phase you.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 07:21 AM

Faithful1, Tough Tony was the Capo within the extended Grand Ave Crew in the same way DiFronzo was the Capo within the extended Elmwood Park Crew.

When you have Two Top Bosses, their Crews are 'Extended' meaning they also have a Capo in their Crew.

I'm gonna slowly but surely answer all your intricate questions that you've probably had for years that you will never find in a book. LOL. By the time you write your book, it'll blow Roemer's away.

You'll have to wet my beak with some of the Profits. You know, a tribute every week. LOL

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 07:33 AM

By the time it's done I'm not sure there will be any profit to share LOL.

On Capezio, if I understand you correctly, he was the top boss of that crew which means that Accardo came up under him.

Back to Taylor Street, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Frank Rio, Jack McGurn and Tony "Mops" Volpe were all Taylor Street guys.
Posted By: goldhawkroad

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 08:10 AM

Didnt Jack McGurn get his start with the circus Gang under Claude Maddox? And before that he was NY based.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 08:16 AM

Faithful1, I think Capezio and Accardo came up together. I think it was more that way.

Machine Gun Jack McGurn was a Grand Ave Man, not Taylor St. I don't know about the other two men, though I certainly heard their names mentioned in the past.

McGurn, I believe, sponsored Accardo into the Mafia (Outfit).
He was Accardo's Chinaman.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 08:34 AM

I was thinking that McGurn was Taylor Street because Rio, Ricca, Volpe and DeGrazia all lived near each other. Another reason -- this is just speculation -- is that Rio may have been McGurn's protector, and that after he died in 1935 Campagna and Ricca took him out.

Agree that McGurn was Accardo's "Chinaman" as you put it, but wonder if he was moved to a different crew after Capone was put away.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 08:45 AM

It doesn't matter if they lived near each other.
Frank Calabrese Sr. lived in Elmwood Park for years. Some people thought he belonged to DiFronzo.
No, he belonged to Angelo La Pietra (26th St).

I still maintain McGurn was Grand Ave. He was with that Café gang as Goldhawkroad stated in above posting.
I don't know about Rio, too much before my time.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 09:07 AM

There's a pattern, and this tends to be true in many cases, that when people are starting out in the Outfit where one lives matters and correlates to what crew they are in. After they start making money it doesn't matter as much because they move to wealthier neighborhoods.

Capezio and Accardo were both connected to the Circus Cafe and they went to Grand Avenue, but Claude Maddox was too and he went to Cicero. The Circus Cafe was also located in the North Side, so all those connected to the Circus Cafe moved away from that area. Anyway, just putting out a theory and seeing what everyone thinks about it.

Frank Rio was the bodyguard (if that's what he really was) who was arrested with Capone in Philadelphia. He was also supposedly the one who saved his life when the Moran gang machine-gunned a restaurant he was in. He was considered the top leader when Capone went to prison.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 09:17 AM

If Rio was his bodyguard, which was probably true, then he belonged to the Cicero Crew which was the largest and was Capone's power base.
It's the same pattern that nobody understands because they want it to be like New York.
The Top Boss of the Outfit has the strongest Crew and everybody else is partnered one way or another with him and his top men. That's the pattern. Once you understand and accept it, everything else falls into place. If you try to envision it like New York, it'll drive you crazy and you'll never understand it.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 09:20 AM

Accardo was also said to have been a Capone bodyguard, as was McGurn and Phil D'Andrea.

I hear what you're saying about Chicago's crew system and by now I'm pretty familiar with it and know that it's different than New York (and every other Mob family), but I'm not sure when the crews were set up. Under Capone it might have been one big crew and that they were divided up shortly before he went to prison.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 09:29 AM

I think a lot of them started out as bodyguards. Those were dangerous times and they were hired as bodyguards but were NOT MADE MEN.
Accardo went with McGurn into the Grand Ave Crew AFTER he got made. Before he was made, he was a soldier/bodyguard working for a salary in Cicero.

Accardo's progression went like normal for THOSE TIMES:
1)soldier/bodyguard
2)made man
3)Capo
4)Boss (One of the Top Two)

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 09:37 AM

Bodyguards weren't made men? Huh, interesting.

I forgot to add that Lefty Louis Campagna was also a bodyguard, as was Mops Volpe. He also had non-Italian ones like Robert McCullough, and maybe Sam Hunt. Charlie Fischetti may have been one also.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 09:53 AM

The SENIOR Bodyguards, which were only a few, were Made Men. The other Bodyguards who worked under their supervision were soldier/Associates.
Then, when a guy proved himself, it was possible to move up and be Made so he could be more of an earner. That's exactly what happened with Accardo.
That's why, IN THOSE DANGEROUS TIMES, it seemed like everybody was Capone's bodyguard. Well, maybe at the beginning of their carreer in the Outfit, that was true.

Capone pretty much designed the Outfit. He was a very smart man. He was no different than an Executive in a Corporation being able to observe new men so he could see who he trusted, who had talent, and then move them where they were most needed. That's the impression I got from discussions about Mr. Outfit himself, Al Capone.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 10:18 AM

taylor street was pretty deep

did sam giancana run the crew into the ground with all the heat he brought?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 11:06 AM

It was arguably the deepest crew in American LCN history. It never got ran into the ground, it was split up & the territory was moved down to Chinatown/da port. It was just part of a different era. When the Joey O'Brien era began, Cicero took over (again) as the dom crew.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 11:43 AM

YOU'RE FROM ENGLAND! End of discussion

What does that have to do with anything? The discussion doesn't end because you want it too.

'Official BB loanshark' that is beyond gay.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

The Feds did know he was made. Why Roemer denied it is beyond me. Here´s a small excerpt from a list showing the made guys of the outfit. Both Sam and his brother Mario is listed.

Thanks.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 11:59 AM

Cook County, The demise of the Taylor St Crew was partially because Giancana left the Country, but was mostly from guys dying and going to prison.

The remaining Taylor St men went in 1 of 3 directions:
1) Direct with Auippa/Cerone (Like my father)
2) 26Th St Crew under new Capo Angelo LaPietra
3) Grand Ave under new Capo Joey Lombardo

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 12:09 PM

Tommy Gambino, Well, at least you're a gentleman about it. Thank you. Like I was saying before, Sammy was a very strange man who was very dangerous. To be honest, some of the other guys in the Outfit were afraid of him. He got along well with my father.
Ricca loved DeStefano. He was direct with Ricca and Giancana. He only would listen to them and no one else.
Auippa and Cerone were nervous with him around. He only lasted about 6 months after Ricca died. They waited to kill him out of respect for Ricca.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 12:55 PM

McGurn moved here from NY to Sangamon off Taylor.

Didn't he predate the crews, though?

He just served under Capone and when Al went to jail he was shelved, then eventually murdered in a bowling alley on Chicago and Milwaukee.

I did hear Accardo started off as his driver though.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:01 PM

That wouldn't make sense. Joe b was a Smith park kid. But who knows.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:02 PM

And the lapietra family wasn't gifted Chinatown until later on in the 70s, no?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:08 PM

My geography was a little off. Sangamon is in the West Loop about halfway between Grand and Taylor.

But that is just where they moved to from NY. Could have moved somewhere else after. I have a couple books on him but am not going to look now!

I think it was Nitti who gave the order to kill him, though. Assuming it was the Outfit who did it.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:11 PM

Huron,
Angelo LaPietra became Boss of Chinatown after Turk Torello died. Turk Torello died at 49 years old.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:18 PM

Right but the Lapietras took it over in the late 70s. '77 if I'm not mistaken. Skids Caruso headed that crew when Taylor street was initially made defunct. No?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:35 PM

Yes, The Hook took it over in 1979 when Torello died.

Skids Caruso was a made guy who belonged to Taylor St. He ran a Franchise in that area for a long time.
When the Changing of the Guard took place, the REMAINING Taylor St men went in 1 of 3 directions:
1) Direct with Auippa/Cerone
2) With Lombardo who became a Capo, Grand Ave
3) With Torello who became a Capo, 26th St

Skids Caruso was then UNDER Torello.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:38 PM

Or Da Bull as my grandfather would refer to him as.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:40 PM

Yes, very good.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 01:43 PM

The Carusos have quite the history in Chinatown. Had it, lost it & took a backseat for a long time to the LaPietras and then that mongoloid Monteleone, and then regained it. Would make for a great movie. Love that fuckin neighborhood.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
[quote=TommyGambino]I thought DeStefano was never made?

Thanks.

Happy now that you've seen an FBI document to prove 'TommyGambino' (I'm sure that's your name). Go worry about the royal baby and learn the difference between to and too.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: HuronSocialAthletic
The Carusos have quite the history in Chinatown. Had it, lost it & took a backseat for a long time to the LaPietras and then that mongoloid Monteleone, and then regained it. Would make for a great movie. Love that fuckin neighborhood.

Have you ever been to the St. Rocco fest. I was thinking of going this year. I heard it is sponsored by "some people."
Posted By: SilentPartnerz

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 03:54 PM

Good god! What an education on the Outfit. Want to thank all of you who are keeping these Chitown threads going.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 03:59 PM

Tommy Gambino, Well, at least you're a gentleman about it. Thank you. Like I was saying before, Sammy was a very strange man who was very dangerous. To be honest, some of the other guys in the Outfit were afraid of him. He got along well with my father.
Ricca loved DeStefano. He was direct with Ricca and Giancana. He only would listen to them and no one else.
Auippa and Cerone were nervous with him around. He only lasted about 6 months after Ricca died. They waited to kill him out of respect for Ricca.

Thanks for the info.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 04:06 PM

NickyEyes

I'm sure that's your name? If that's an attempt at humour then it went over my head. You sound like you have the mental age of a child. Now go pretend you're a loanshark.

Why would I worry about a German-Greek baby? Or them [BadWord] that are the royal family?
Posted By: SC

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 04:09 PM

Happy now that you've seen an FBI document to prove 'TommyGambino' (I'm sure that's your name). Go worry about the royal baby and learn the difference between to and too.

I'm sure that's your name? If that's an attempt at humour then it went over my head. You sound like you have the mental age of a child. Now go pretend you're a loanshark.

Will you two please take this pissing contest off the boards.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

Will you two please take this pissing contest off the boards.

I won't respond to him now but when someone tries to insult me for no reason it's natural to respond.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 06:21 PM

Yes, The Hook took it over in 1979 when Torello died.

Skids Caruso was a made guy who belonged to Taylor St. He ran a Franchise in that area for a long time.
When the Changing of the Guard took place, the REMAINING Taylor St men went in 1 of 3 directions:
1) Direct with Auippa/Cerone
2) With Lombardo who became a Capo, Grand Ave
3) With Torello who became a Capo, 26th St

Skids Caruso was then UNDER Torello.

I have it that Lombardo took over for Battaglia, so it would seem that Torello followed Bucciere.

The specific Chinatown crew, which I guess earlier on was a subcrew, was headed by Bruno Roti since the 1920s until he died in the 1950s, followed by Skids Caruso

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-roo...-136746478.html

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1999-09-21/news/9909210275_1_fred-roti-1st-ward-santa-claus

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 06:30 PM

Why did McGurn get killed?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 06:34 PM

Nobody really knows for sure. Lots of people think it was Nitti because McGurn had become a liability to the Outfit.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 07:00 PM

The most plausible theory by far is that he was basically shelved after Capone went to prison; they just didn't have any use for him. He was more of a thug than big earner and there were a few other reasons that I can't really remember. He tried to make a living playing golf as he was really good but it didn't work out. Eventually he started going back to "the boys" demanding some action and pointing out how much dirt he had on everybody, which led to Nitti giving the order to have him killed. The building where he was killed on Milwaukee and Chicago is still standing. And his girlfriend, the famous "Blonde Alibi" Louise Rolfe was probably one of the last Capone era players to die; she died in the 90s. (Geraldo famously interviewed her.)

The other theory is that he was killed in retaliation for something, such as the St. Valentine's Day Massacre (he didn't participate but may have planned) but as far as I know no one really believes that.

The Green Mill was his night club at one point and as you probably know is the only true Capone-era nightclub still open.

They made a whole movie out of the Joe E. Lewis thing that happened there with Sinatra as Lewis called "The Joker's Wild"

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jonnynonos

The most plausible theory by far is that he was basically shelved after Capone went to prison; they just didn't have any use for him. He was more of a thug than big earner and there were a few other reasons that I can't really remember. He tried to make a living playing golf as he was really good but it didn't work out. Eventually he started going back to "the boys" demanding some action and pointing out how much dirt he had on everybody, which led to Nitti giving the order to have him killed. The building where he was killed on Milwaukee and Chicago is still standing. And his girlfriend, the famous "Blonde Alibi" Louise Rolfe was probably one of the last Capone era players to die; she died in the 90s. (Geraldo famously interviewed her.)

The other theory is that he was killed in retaliation for something, such as the St. Valentine's Day Massacre (he didn't participate but may have planned) but as far as I know no one really believes that.

The Green Mill was his night club at one point and as you probably know is the only true Capone-era nightclub still open.

They made a whole movie out of the Joe E. Lewis thing that happened there with Sinatra as Lewis called "The Joker's Wild"

For at least a year McGurn was acting paranoid. Before he was killed a government agent witnessed him at a sit-down in Florida and saw other high-level Outfit mobsters with him. So I would guess that McGurn did or said something serious, or at least was accused of doing something serious. Demanding action and making threats would probably qualify. Don't think it would have been Nitti giving the order if he wasn't the boss. If he was with Grand Avenue it would have been Capezio and his bosses Campagna and Ricca.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 07:31 PM

I've read a few books on it, perhaps too many as my recall is imperfect these days and it's all jumbled, but from what I remember in the books Nitti was the boss at the time after Capone, and in none of those books did they ever have it broken down into crews at that point.

But, they are books, I certainly didn't have anyone in the family.

Bill Helmer's book on the Massacre is an exhaustively researched book on it, and there is also a book called "Bloody Valentine" about him and Rolfe, as well as one just called "Assasin" or something. John Binder almost certainly addresses it as well in his book "The Outfit."

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 07:43 PM

I have all those books and know Binder, Helmer and Gusfield. The difference is that there's inside information that they didn't use or have. Read Chicago's posts about Nitti and Ricca for example. He's only one example of a poster here who had made relatives in the Outfit and has info that isn't found in books.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 07:44 PM

Have you ever been to the St. Rocco fest. I was thinking of going this year. I heard it is sponsored by "some people."

One of my favourite fests in the city! So much fun. Yes, I'll be there this year. You should most certainly go. You will see some heavies for sure.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 07:59 PM

Well, as it turns you, you don't even need a family insider, just Wiki:

In 1931, both 45 year-old Frank Nitti and 32 year-old Al Capone were convicted of tax evasion and sent to prison; however, Nitti received an 18-month sentence, while Capone was sent away for 11 years. Nitti was not a troublesome prisoner, but found the year-and-a-half confinement in a cell difficult because of the closed-in space. When Nitti was released in 1932, the media hailed him as the new boss of the Capone Gang.[5]
In truth, however, Nitti was only a front man. According to crime historians, "it was ludicrous" to expect that people such as Tony Accardo, Jake Guzik, Murray "The Camel" Humphreys, or Paul "The Waiter" Ricca would have taken orders from Nitti. By all accounts, Ricca had the real power by at least 1932 and was clearly the de facto boss by 1939 even though he was technically Nitti's underboss. When Charles "Lucky" Luciano and Meyer Lansky organized the National Crime Syndicate in the 1930s, they considered Nitti a human cypher. Lansky and Luciano dealt with Ricca, not Nitti, as the boss of the Chicago Outfit.[5]

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 08:01 PM

One of my favourite fests in the city! So much fun. Yes, I'll be there this year. You should most certainly go. You will see some heavies for sure.

Nice I will be there.

Quick question, you can PM me if you don't feel comfortable putting it out there (or not answering at all), but aside from the Cap'n who else is associated with the ONIASC these days? Don't answer if you're not comfortable, it was just something I was curious about.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 08:22 PM

Well, the captain isn't the real owner, just the caretaker.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 08:32 PM

In 1931, both 45 year-old Frank Nitti and 32 year-old Al Capone were convicted of tax evasion and sent to prison; however, Nitti received an 18-month sentence, while Capone was sent away for 11 years. Nitti was not a troublesome prisoner, but found the year-and-a-half confinement in a cell difficult because of the closed-in space. When Nitti was released in 1932, the media hailed him as the new boss of the Capone Gang.[5]
In truth, however, Nitti was only a front man. According to crime historians, "it was ludicrous" to expect that people such as Tony Accardo, Jake Guzik, Murray "The Camel" Humphreys, or Paul "The Waiter" Ricca would have taken orders from Nitti. By all accounts, Ricca had the real power by at least 1932 and was clearly the de facto boss by 1939 even though he was technically Nitti's underboss. When Charles "Lucky" Luciano and Meyer Lansky organized the National Crime Syndicate in the 1930s, they considered Nitti a human cypher. Lansky and Luciano dealt with Ricca, not Nitti, as the boss of the Chicago Outfit.[5]

Even when Wikipedia is right I don't use it as a source because anyone with an opinion can get in there and screw things up. I used to contribute but I got tired of people who know little changing everything I wrote. It's decent on most scientific matters, but when it comes to history and politics its biased and wrong just about as often as it is right.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 08:45 PM

Well, the captain isn't the real owner, just the caretaker.

LOL.

I heard Bertucci's closed. That is awful!

Originally Posted By: Faithful1

Even when Wikipedia is right I don't use it as a source because anyone with an opinion can get in there and screw things up. I used to contribute but I got tired of people who know little changing everything I wrote. It's decent on most scientific matters, but when it comes to history and politics its biased and wrong just about as often as it is right.

Well it sounds like you're writing something, so I wouldn't either. As an offhand source it's OK. You can always go verify things from other sources.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 09:01 PM

Yeah it was bound to happen. The food had decreased in quality recently. Johnnie's beef & grocery closed as well. Sad.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/25/13 09:43 PM

Uncle Johnny's**

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/26/13 05:22 PM

Cook County, The demise of the Taylor St Crew was partially because Giancana left the Country, but was mostly from guys dying and going to prison.

The remaining Taylor St men went in 1 of 3 directions:
1) Direct with Auippa/Cerone (Like my father)
2) 26Th St Crew under new Capo Angelo LaPietra
3) Grand Ave under new Capo Joey Lombardo

did they dismantle the crew because lack of leadership or lack of influence?

or

did they get split up with elmwoodpark/cicero allies?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/26/13 07:30 PM

Taylor St area was known as "the Patch" which was on the near southwest side of the city.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/26/13 09:36 PM

It wasn't! LOL!

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/26/13 10:07 PM

Go read jonnynonos posting on the Outfit Activity thread. He explained it well. BOTH areas were apparently known as the Patch. In addition to BOTH AREAS being known as the The Patch, Giancana and my Father called Taylor St the Patch. ARE YOU trying to tell me what my Father & Mooney sometimes called their area? LOL. PLease

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/26/13 10:11 PM

I just posted an example of all the different ways people use it in "Outfit Activity."

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/26/13 10:25 PM

I know, I read it. Still, the Smith Park area was literally known as Da Patch. That particular neighborhood. It may have been used loosely in reference to those other areas, but that's besides the point.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/26/13 10:26 PM

I only know what I read. However, if Sam Giancana was referring to his old neighborhood, which we all know was Taylor Street, as The Patch, then I think you would have to accept that at least at one time it possibly meant a different place to different people.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 12:36 AM

Correctamundo.
Posted By: GaryMartin

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 02:35 AM

very good info. consistent with everything i've read.

Wonder why Elmwood didn't list Accardo as a senior adviser to the entire Outfit?

Also, the Taylor St. members were not listed in terms of rank / power within the entire crew, were they ? In other words Sam DeStefano did not have a higher rank than those listed below him.

Chicago]The Beatles of the Outfit: Never was and never will be equaled again in Chicago.

Note: Tony Accardo was the other Senior Advisor over the entire Outfit, but he was with the Elmwood Park Crew.

Taylor St:

Paul Ricca, Senior Advisor (over entire Outfit)
Sam Giancana, Boss (over entire Outfit)
Sam Battaglia, Capo
Fiore Bucciere, Capo

Sammy DeStefano, Made Guy
Willie Daddano, Made Guy
Chuckie English, Made Guy
Rocco Potenza, Made Guy
Phil Alderisio, Made Guy
Chuckie Nicoletti, Made Guy
James Mirro, Made Guy
Frank Bucciere, Made Guy
Turk Torello, Made Guy
Joe Ferriola, Made Guy
Dominic Cortina, Made Guy
Donald Angelini, Made Guy
Frank Caruso, Made Guy
Joey Glimco, Made Guy
Pat Marcy, Made Guy
Frank Ferraro, Made Guy
Dominic Blasi, Made Guy
Joey Lombardo, Made Guy
Rocky DeGrazia, Made Guy
Marshall Caifano, Made Guy
William Aloisio, Made Guy
Leonard Gianola, Made Guy
Vincent Inserro, Made Guy
John Lardino, Made Guy
Rocco Pranno, Made Guy
Rocco Salvatore, Made Guy
Johnny Roselli, Made Guy
Rocky Infelice, Made Guy
Bobby Ansani, Made Guy
Johnny Formosa, Made Guy

Note: Does not include:
Elmwood Park Crew
Cicero Crew
North Side/ Rush St. Crew
Chicago Heights Crew
Non-Italian Crew

Note: Only Made guys listed above:
Does not include Soldier/Associates who worked full time under the made guys in all the Franchises.
[/quote]

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 03:36 AM

Gary, what do you mean by Elmwood didn't list Accardo? What are you talking about?

Don't use the word rank, it sounds like you're talking about the United States Armed Forces. LOL
Use the word 'Function'.

Every made guy had a function that he performed like running a Franchise of Gambling or Loan Sharking.

Made Guys are all different. Some are more successful than others. The only people above made guys are Bosses. Then among the Bosses, there's the Top Bosses.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 04:02 AM

In his chart or the person who did the chart (I believe his name is Horsey Fart) he / they listed Accardo as adviser to Elmwood Park, if I read the chart correctly. He didn't mention that Accardo was an adviser to the entire Outfit. Maybe I read it incorrectly.

The other question was about the list of Taylor St. Made Men. Were the names listed arbitrarily or was there significance to listing DeStefano first?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 04:13 AM

I Looked at his chart. yes, Elmwood (The Don) did it by dictating it to a guy named Horsey over at ANP.

I Believe he was intending to show that Accardo was with Elmwood Park and was the other Senior Advisor.

The names were listed arbitrarily. No particular order.
I did put Sammy DeStefano first because he happened to be on my mind since one guy, I can't remember his name, was insisting he wasn't made which was the most stupid thing I ever heard. He was more made than most of those guys on the list. LOL.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 04:14 AM

Thanks, Chicago.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 05:35 AM

HorseyFart did a great job on those charts, and the are still out there if anyone wants to download them. Chicago, yes, on those charts it looks like Accardo was only the adviser for Elmwood Park and not a junior adviser to Ricca. I don't know if you were posting there back then, but it seemed that Accardo was downgraded a bit back then but with new info he seems to have increased in importance.

It was FBI agent Bill Roemer who believed DeStefano wasn't made, or were you talking about the poster who believed that?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 05:50 AM

I was talking about a poster, not Roemer. No, I wasn't posting there. I couldn't stand Fosco.

I think the Charts are very good and pretty much exactly what I said except those guys had a tendency to downplay Accardo too much whereas, Roemer, overplayed him because he was in love with the guy. The truth was in the middle right where I put it.

I think Roemer secretly wanted to be in the Outfit and work in the Top Echelon with Accardo and Humphreys. HE LOVED those two guys in particular. I think he even asked Accardo out on a date one time on Valentine's Day. Accardo politely turned him down. LOL.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 07:18 AM

Is there some sort of beef between you and Fosco? To me he seems pretty straightforward. Aside from his personal issues you two seem to agree more than you disagree. Just my observation.

I think Roemer had a grudging respect for Accardo and Humphreys because (especially Accardo) treated federal agents with respect and kept their word when they gave it. Mooney would cuss them out and yell at them, so it's natural that they liked him less and Accardo more.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/27/13 07:42 AM

No, there's no beef. I've never even talked to the guy. We agree way more than we disagree about the Outfit from reading his postings.

I just know what happened with his bullshit extortion story.
That's why I don't like him. He's a phoney con man to me because of that issue.

He has an agenda. His agenda is to get revenge on DiFronzo. He also has no right talking about an alleged affair and other personal things he brings into it with people.

I don't like Cerone at all, but I try to be objective and you never hear me say anything really personal about the Guy like Fosco tries to do.

Anyone talking about Organized Crime that has an agenda to promote something, can never be trusted. They mix truth with lies. That's why Fanboys on this Forum cannot be trusted. Same thing. They mix truth with lies so they have some credibility and then they go about their business promoting their agenda.
I won't mention any names. I can spot them within the first 5 Minutes. So can Ivy and Skinny and a few other guys.

Fosco said that Willie Messino told him that DiFronzo sometimes ejaculated when he was kicking somebody. Fosco invented that story along with a few others.
Also, Willie Messino would never have talked to him about murder details. Should I continue?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/28/13 09:07 PM

how much oversight did taylor street have over Chicago heights?
Posted By: funkster

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/28/13 09:36 PM

I've been on a lot of mbs in my time...and OC posters are, by far, the most dramatic.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 07/29/13 12:11 AM

Cook County, Chicago Heights was a strong underrated Crew by some people. Frank LaPorte, the Boss, and his men answered to Taylor St just like everybody else. They were partnered with Taylor St in one way or another like the other Street Crews.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 08/08/13 12:44 AM

Taylor St. epicenter was in the old First Ward which ran all 50 Wards in Chicago. It was where the West Bloc of politicians was located.

All the other Crews were partnered with Giancana/Taylor St.
Everyone took their orders from Giancana who was backed up by Ricca and Accardo, mainly Ricca.

Giancana always had the edge along with Ricca because the Taylor St men were fiercely loyal to Mooney.
He pretty much sponsored most all of the capable guys from the old 42's into the Outfit and each man was given a specific responsibility.

Each guy then had their own small crew of men who worked under them full time.

Giancana was partnered with each man all by himself or with Battaglia and Bucciere who had made men with them.

The Bosses of the other Crews paid tribute to Giancana or Giancana got something else from a possible partnersip where money was fronted or because money had already been fronted previously by Ricca & Accardo who inherited money that was fronted by the previous Bosses all the way back to Capone.

Money stayed within the Outfit. It didn't go to wives and children. Trust me, I know. LOL.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 08/08/13 05:19 AM

From the Scariest Mafioso thread- Chicago I understand what your saying and I know that each crew was almost run as its own family but, during Giancana's run it seems that Taylor St was its own family with the exception or guys like Accardo, La Porte, Roti, and a handful of others. I know I'm probably not making my point but it seems like Taylor St was the outfit and the other crews top guys were blessed into their postions cause of their association with Giacana.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 08/08/13 05:30 AM

Taylor St. (Ricca) & Grand Ave (Accardo) were the two primary "families"

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 08/08/13 05:52 AM

During the Giancana reign there were 6 crews:

Taylor St (Dominent)

Elmwood Park
North Side
Cicero
Chicago Heights
Non Italian

Each Crew had a Boss.

All Crew Bosses were partnered or paid tribute and took orders from Giancana.

Giancana's crew was the biggest and most powerful plus they were the most prolific killers.

The other Crews were also important and were good earners and contributed to the overall power and political influence in Chicago.
Do not think it was only Taylor St.

Some of the other Bosses were already in place BEFORE Giancana.

Jack Cerone, Elmwood Park (Formerly known as Grand Ave)
Ross Prio, North Side
Frank LaPorte, Chicago Heights
Joey Auippa, Cicero
Murray Humphreys, Non Italian

These men were not blessed into anything by Giancana.
They were already in place through Ricca/Accardo.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 08/08/13 06:18 AM

Right I was talking prior to Sam taking over & elmwood park

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 08/08/13 06:28 AM

I know. I was trying to lay it out for SgWau86. I don't want him to think the whole fucking Outfit was Taylor St.

The other men were already in place and were Bosses in their own right. They weren't put there by Giancana. This was when the Outfit had real power and was untouchable. They made the White House even nervous. (Bobby Kennedy)
They were allied with the Genovese Family in New York.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 08/08/13 07:45 AM

Gotchya

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 08/08/13 05:41 PM

Off topic, but how would you rate Aiuppa as a boss? I've come to be more interested in hearing about him over the years. Seems like he was one of the more feared/respected bosses in the history of American OC.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 08/08/13 06:57 PM

He was a very good Boss. His men did very well that personally belonged to him.
However, He wasn't really the Boss all by himself. He had Accardo and Cerone. You really have to include those two when you're talking about him.
Chicago was never a dictatorship.
Posted By: mbe1084

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/10/14 03:38 AM

Anyone know if Chuckie English's brother Sam "Butch" was a made man?

Would anyone know if the below were made?
Sam "Butch" English (a Chuckie English's brother)
Carlo Urbanitti
Carlo's son Robert "Bobby U" ( I am thinking No on this one but thought I'd ask)

Thanks!!
Posted By: ChiTown

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/10/14 10:09 AM

I don't think Carl Urbaniti was ever made. He was a Grand Avenue burglar who worked for Spilotro and spent a lot of time in Vegas. His son Robert or "Bobby" probably isn't made either, but he was a conduit for Anthony Centracchio. Didn't he get busted running a massage parlor recently?

The Urbaniti's are related through marriage to the Marcello's and the broader English/Santura family right? I feel like Bobby is a cousin to the Marcello's and I know the Marcello's are related to Chuckie English.

I have no idea about Sam English.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/10/14 11:23 AM

Pretty sure Sam English was made as he is identified by CI's as an Outfit member in several FBI reports and memorandums (for what it's worth) but he wasn't as heavy as Chuckie obviously.

I highly doubt the Urbanitis were/are made.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 02:07 AM

Thanks. Sam died relatively young of a heart attack so I haven't been able to find a lot of info on him.

Bobby use to be a cop so I figured he was never made.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 02:13 AM

Bobby use to be a cop so I won't be surprised if he isn't made. I know Carlo was married to Grace who was Chuckie and Sam's sister.

Although I thought that the Marcello was related through marriage through the Urbaniti side and not the English.

I've never heard of the Santura family how are they related to the English's?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 02:15 AM

Anyone know anything about Jack " Jelly Bean" Silva?

He is mentioned briefly in the Mad Sam DeStefano book, so just curious if anyone knows any more about him or where I may find additional info.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 10:13 AM

Originally Posted By: mbe1084
Bobby use to be a cop so I won't be surprised if he isn't made. I know Carlo was married to Grace who was Chuckie and Sam's sister.

Although I thought that the Marcello was related through marriage through the Urbaniti side and not the English.

I've never heard of the Santura family how are they related to the English's?

That may be right...I think Mickey Marcello's mother is an Urbanati and he was considered Chuckie's nephew. I would assume Jimmy was considered such too. Chuckie's daughter "Chickie" married Tommy Santura.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 10:16 AM

The Outfit isn't like New York where they don't make cops...a ton of various made members were cops or even politicians at one point or another -- Gattuso, Matassa Sr., Henry Pilotto, etc.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By: ChiTown

The Outfit isn't like New York where they don't make cops...a ton of various made members were cops or even politicians at one point or another -- Gattuso, Matassa Sr., Henry Pilotto, etc.

Ricky Borelli was/is pretty high up there too wasn't he? Marco's cousin as I recall...was he made? He was a Chicago vice cop if I remember correctly. He still alive?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: funkster

Ricky Borelli was/is pretty high up there too wasn't he? Marco's cousin as I recall...was he made? He was a Chicago vice cop if I remember correctly. He still alive?

Don't know but he figured prominently in When Corruption Was King.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: funkster

I don't know whether Borelli was made, but doubt it. He's in his 80s at this point. I don't think many of Marco's early associates beyond Bobby A continued with the Outfit after they were busted. Rickey was just a bookie as were most of his other guys. He didn't even go to prison. The Dote's are obviously still involved.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 03:48 PM

Bobby and those guys still hang out at Marco's beef place near Fullerton & Austin. Anyone around Marco is likely stopping by there on a regular basis.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/11/14 05:38 PM

I've ridden my bike by there 100 times and wondered if that was his. Guess question answered.

Hows the beef there?

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/12/14 01:33 AM

After I posted that I remembered the Outfit was different. I'm ashamed of myself, I know better smile

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/12/14 01:37 AM

Anyone know if Chuckie English's other brothers were involved in the mob?
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 04/13/14 11:47 AM

Sam is the only other brother of Chuckie's that was made, and I think there was another brother that was only an associate.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 09/19/14 02:11 AM

Hi all,

Another question about the English's that I am hoping someone would be able to answer.

In the Mafia Encyclopedia by Carl Stikas ( spelling is wrong I'm sure), he mentions that Chuckie was arrested for suspicion for murder. Does anyone know what murder this is referring to? I have not see it in the many items I have read.

Thank you!

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 09/19/14 07:20 PM

Hi all,

Another question about the English's that I am hoping someone would be able to answer.

In the Mafia Encyclopedia by Carl Stikas ( spelling is wrong I'm sure), he mentions that Chuckie was arrested for suspicion for murder. Does anyone know what murder this is referring to? I have not see it in the many items I have read.

Thank you!

I'm not sure about being arrested, but he was questioned about the murder of Giancana. He was a Giancana loyalist, but was still questioned; so was Butch Blasi. Nothing came out of the interrogation. I'll see if I can find anything about English being questioned regarding a murder.
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 09/19/14 09:28 PM

what a great thread, what great posts, ive read all 5 pages.just a quick sentence or two. im sure you have all read brashlers "the don" about giancana, he mentions giancanas killing and traces it to butch blasi,blasi being the last to see him alive, also, in jimmy frattianos book, he and johnny roselli are discussing sams death, roselli says to frattiano, "butch killed sam is that what sam gets for knowing butch 40 years" I think for all ive read you can assume butch blasi nurdered giancana.

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 09/19/14 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
what a great thread, what great posts, ive read all 5 pages.just a quick sentence or two. im sure you have all read brashlers "the don" about giancana, he mentions giancanas killing and traces it to butch blasi,blasi being the last to see him alive, also, in jimmy frattianos book, he and johnny roselli are discussing sams death, roselli says to frattiano, "butch killed sam is that what sam gets for knowing butch 40 years" I think for all ive read you can assume butch blasi nurdered giancana.

Here's a newspaper account of Giancana's murder:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1975/06/21/page/1/article/cops-watching-home-night-giancana-slain
Posted By: Red_63

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 09/19/14 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: GaryMartin
Hi all,

Thank you!

I'm not sure about being arrested, but he was questioned about the murder of Giancana. He was a Giancana loyalist, but was still questioned; so was Butch Blasi. Nothing came out of the interrogation. I'll see if I can find anything about English being questioned regarding a murder.

Yeah I've been questioned and subpoenaed for murder the nut job tried to say I did it. I was also once charged once with attempted murder which was knocked down to AA

Re: Taylor Street Crew 1957-1966 - 09/20/14 04:02 PM

Thank you!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET