Home

Is there any LCN in Texas?

Posted By: Mr_Willie_Cicci

Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 02:32 PM

Does LCN still exist in Texas?
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 03:53 PM

Dallas had a family at one time but they're long gone.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 04:30 PM

No lcn today, the cartels, mexican mafia, and the AB run that shit lol.

Back during prohibition there was the maceo syndicate in galveston, they werent lcn but had ties to the dallas family, they were bootleggers and went on to make galveston one of the biggest gambling destanations in the country at that time.
Posted By: thebigfella

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 04:36 PM

I believe the genovese have someone out there
Posted By: short841

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: thebigfella

LOL!
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 04:57 PM

they have/had some interests in some nightclubs in the dallas area i believe.
Posted By: Logomassini

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 06:48 PM

I've researched the little that their is on the Dallas Family which never even really had a Family name. I refer to it as the Joe Family damn near every single Boss was a Joseph. Civello was probably the biggest but their definitely isn't shit left of them. That's all Cartel and Aryan run now. Italians would be knocked off rather quickly if they even tried.
Posted By: AllDay27

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 07:03 PM

There is zero LCN presence in texas, it couldn't be more dominated by the cartels and the AB. There's other factions like persian organizations and shit like that but I'm thinkin as soon as anyone with any juice went anywhere in texas after the 70s they took a look around and went with the Bones Barboni like from Get Shorty "Ah, so this is Texas, huh?....They can keep it"

spent 18 months of the past 2 years living in central Texas this was about as mobbed up as I ever saw anything get. Typical club owners running drugs washing money for their superiors type shit but when the names aren't irish or itialian my interest is quickly lost

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/owner-of-austin-nightclubs-9-associates-face-drug-/nRmQL/

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 07:23 PM

who knows why texas never had much of a lcn presence, there are many reasons, the main one being simply the lack of italians along with the area being so far away from the northeast. people often use theories such as "the mexican mafia would wipe them out" ect. we have seen this line of reasoning used repeatedly to explain why the L.A. family never grew to rival families in chicago and the northeast, its simply not true.

it seems that too many people have this notion in their heads that when different criminal organizations operate in the same area that they line up opposing each other revolutionary war style and fight it out, with the winner being the last man standing. forget the fact that different groups have different rackets, forget the fact that they run in entirely different social circles.

the various street/prison gangs and cartels operating in texas are far from simple drug dealers, but these groups are so preoccupied with killing each other and avoiding being killed that they wouldn't notice, much less care imo if a lcn family had some local influences, be it gambling or semi-legit businesses. there is always the chance of some conflict, but the risks of something exploding into an all-out war is equally overblown. just my opinion.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies

they have/had some interests in some nightclubs in the dallas area i believe.

I think that was just Wiki BS.
Posted By: Jenkins

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 07:49 PM

Did Joe Civello answer to Carlos Marcello or were they just close associates?

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenkins
Did Joe Civello answer to Carlos Marcello or were they just close associates?

I've read both New Orleans and Chicago had a certain degree of influence over Dallas. Capeci doesn't seem to have a high opinion of the family, even when the LCN was there. It was certainly the first of the 24 families you typically see named to go extinct. It really didn't last beyond the 1960's.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 09:57 PM

Pretty sure Civelli/Dallas answered to Marcello for the majority of their existence. Once Marcello was through Chicago stepped in probably but it wasn't for long.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 09:58 PM

*Civello
Posted By: Lilange

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 10:00 PM

Yeah Jerry jones
Posted By: 12thStreet

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 10:06 PM

LOL...Yeah he's a member of the Spacone/Stu Cazzo Putana Family Hillbilly Crew lol
Posted By: Lilange

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/12/13 10:11 PM

[quote=12thStreet] LOL...Yeah he's a member of the Spacone/Stu Cazzo Putana Family Hillbilly Crew lol [/quote

The word is there going to the mattress over the 10 galon hat rackets.
Posted By: mulberry

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 05:29 AM

there never was a real lcn in dallas. there were a few criminals with italian names. marcello had a few bookies in dallas and chicago sent some people but not much came of it. even today a few big bookies hang out at campisis egyptian lounge. theres a back room where only certain people are allowed. the campisis were into gambling back then but pretty sure they are legit now with five successful restuarants.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: mulberry
there never was a real lcn in dallas. there were a few criminals with italian names. marcello had a few bookies in dallas and chicago sent some people but not much came of it. even today a few big bookies hang out at campisis egyptian lounge. theres a back room where only certain people are allowed. the campisis were into gambling back then but pretty sure they are legit now with five successful restuarants.

That's a good point. Regarding Civello, Capeci said the chart below was a little misleading as Civello's inclusion overstated his importance. Than again, the FBI never claimed everybody on that chart was equal, despite the inaccuracy about all of them being on the Commission. At least Civello was invited to Appalachin. wink

Posted By: BigRed

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 05:19 PM

I feel like two things kept Dallas and Texas in general from having significant LCN members in it.

One reason was the indigenous O.C. element in Texas like the Dixie Mob, Benny Binion, the Chagras, Jerry Ray James, Bandidos, etc. They are all dangerous and wouldn't like a bunch of out of state Italians stepping on their drug and gambling rackets. They had the lay of the land, knew the players, and had everything sewn up.

The second was law enforcement down there. Either it was too strict or too corrupt (probably both). They also weren't letting their home team and the money they got from them get overtaken.
Posted By: TonyG

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 05:46 PM

IMO, the reasons there was never a significant LCN presence in Texas are:

(1) TX was largely settled by non-Italians, mostly Germans and northern Europeans. Not one of the major TX cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, etc) has a "Little Italy" or Italian section of town. For the most part, the Italian food in TX sucks as result.
(2) TX is a "right to work" state, ie, little to no unions.
(3) The population of TX was largely agricultural until the 50's and 60's. It is hard to extort a bunch of farmers and cattle ranchers, let alone run a book or shy operation.
(4) The TX population was largely conservative Christians (Catholics, Baptist, Methodist, etc) who put on a public face of clean living, but tolerated the vices as long as they were out of the public eye and controlled. You could cross the border into Mexico for most of that, or a hidden away whore house or juke joint. Texans would never go for a NO style French Quarter out in the open.
(5) Lastly, if an Italian went to extort a Latino / Hispanic in Dallas, Houston or San Antonio, anytime in the last 50 years, the Italian would have been laughed out of the place or cut up.

The Dallas family, if you can call them that, was never more than a crew compared to any of the other cities.

The Maceo's probably has the closest thing to a family in Galveston. I have heard they ran a great operation and corrupted the police and politicians from top to bottom.

OC in Texas is all DTO's now. The OMC have a presence, as do the prison gangs, but they are small players compared to the DTO's.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 05:59 PM

DTO ?

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
DTO ?

drug trafficking organization. truth be told, they line between them, street gangs, and prison gangs simply blurs more as the years go by. one quick example that comes to mind with regards to texas: the juarez cartel and barrio azteca. barrio azteca is simply a street and prison gang that acts as an enforcement arm of the juarez cartel on the us side of the texas border.
Posted By: BlackFamily

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 06:38 PM

I agree with you but prison gangs aren't small players but middlemen for the drug cartels. Recall an earlier post (forgot who sorry) that have the OC threat in Texas and you see that prison gangs are up there along side the cartels.
Posted By: BlackFamily

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 06:44 PM

I think you meant the Tango Blast gang which are a prison/street gang. Barrio Azteca is mainly a prison gang just with a large street presence (similar to Nuestra Familia/La Eme in Cali & BGF in Maryland)and the rest your right.
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: BlackFamily
I think you meant the Tango Blast gang which are a prison/street gang. Barrio Azteca is mainly a prison gang just with a large street presence (similar to Nuestra Familia/La Eme in Cali & BGF in Maryland)and the rest your right.

I remember reading or watching somewhere that the Barrio Azteca is in fact a sort of enforcement for the Juarez cartel, like the Los Zetas for the Tijuana cartel. I think it was in the Gangland episode, although I don't know how reliable it is.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BlackFamily

no, i meant barrio azteca. i agree that they are primarily a prison gang, with a large street presence, but that just proves my point about is being harder and harder to classify and label these groups as prison gang, street gang, or cartel as they are all involved in the exact same things.. the juarez cartel also has its own armed wing, la linea, which is said to be made up of ex and current local and state cops from the juarez region. they operate more in mexico, but both them and barrio azteca operate on both sides. the juarez cartel/la linea would be a better comparison to the gulf cartel/los zetas. its also worth pointing out that the juarez cartel is really just a shell of its former self, very similar to the tj cartel with only a marginal influence in and around juarez.
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 07:23 PM

You are right, Los Zetas are enforcers for the Gulf cartel. I confused them with Logan Heights from San Diego that work (or worked) with the Tijuana cartel.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 07:55 PM

Ive always had the opinion that in places like texas(especially near the border) the street gangs need the cartels for the drug connect and the cartels need the street gangs for street distribution and enforcement so they both kinda work in balance with each other.
Posted By: ScottD

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 09:07 PM

Plagiarizing my own post from 2009 on Real Deal forum about some under-the-radar Dallas guys.

John Dragna- owned the Dallas Cuban Club with Feredrico Avilla.

John "JoJo" Berard - Tony Caterine's cousin. Caterine also owned the Loser's CLub (located at 5436 E. Mockingbird)- Berard was involved in that club as well.

Anthony E. "Tony Barber" Barbaria - owned Twelve Signs CLub - liasion with Caterine, Campisis, and local Cuban synidcate

Sammy "The Creeper" Cook (great nickname)- died in 1971, Campisi associate.

Carlo Joseph Campisi - father of Joe Campisi

James Lynn Galletta - associate of Carlo Campisi

Bookmakers under Civello (1967 report):

Phillip Bosco
Charles J. Sansone
Joseph Ianni
Luke Cortemeglia

other connections:

Joe Campisi's cousin was the wife of Luke Gallioto, Marcello associate.

Cateirn and Campisis were basically arms of Marcello after Civello's death (though a case can be made that Dallas was always an arm of New Orleans). Intel reports in the mid 70's have them meeting extensively with Marcello.

After Santo Jr. died and Vince LoScalzo took over, FDLE followed Vince to Houston and Dallas on numerous occassions where he met with Joe Campisi and Joe Marcello. After Campisi died, LoScalzo didn't go to Texas anymore, and just dealt with Joe Marcello and other guys in NO.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/13/13 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyG

(1) TX was largely settled by non-Italians, mostly Germans and northern Europeans. Not one of the major TX cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, etc) has a "Little Italy" or Italian section of town. For the most part, the Italian food in TX sucks as result.
(3) The population of TX was largely agricultural until the 50's and 60's. It is hard to extort a bunch of farmers and cattle ranchers, let alone run a book or shy operation.
(4) The TX population was largely conservative Christians (Catholics, Baptist, Methodist, etc) who put on a public face of clean living, but tolerated the vices as long as they were out of the public eye and controlled. You could cross the border into Mexico for most of that, or a hidden away whore house or juke joint. Texans would never go for a NO style French Quarter out in the open.
(5) Lastly, if an Italian went to extort a Latino / Hispanic in Dallas, Houston or San Antonio, anytime in the last 50 years, the Italian would have been laughed out of the place or cut up.

The Dallas family, if you can call them that, was never more than a crew compared to any of the other cities.

The Maceo's probably has the closest thing to a family in Galveston. I have heard they ran a great operation and corrupted the police and politicians from top to bottom.

OC in Texas is all DTO's now. The OMC have a presence, as do the prison gangs, but they are small players compared to the DTO's.

1. True
2. Many other non-union states had a strong LCN presence, such as Florida, Louisiana, and Kansas.
3. Same as 2
4. True
5. Up until 1990, Texas did not have that many Hispanics except in the Valley. Since then, they have surged across the state.

You're right, the Dallas "family" was never more than 10 or so people. The main names were the Piranio's, Civello's and Campisi's. They were nothing more than some loosely connected Italian bootleggers who moved into gambling. They owned some bars, strip clubs, and restaurants.
Posted By: conopizza

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/14/13 02:40 AM

Tony speaks many truths. Also, the first time I came down to Texas for any length of time was around 1990, staying with an Uncle in north Dallas and I happened to come in off I-35 via Frisco...

This seems to be lost bit of Texas lore but for those who don't know, Frisco, from I think the 1970s through the early 1990s was an open town of not much but ...

... roadside brothels! Some on the main drags, some out a buddy and me passed bike riding out in the country on FM whatever...

Then J.C. Penney moved their headquarters to Frisco and that was that; haven't been back in a while but I reckon it's now contiguous with the Dallas sprawl.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 07/14/13 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: mulberry
You're right, the Dallas "family" was never more than 10 or so people. The main names were the Piranio's, Civello's and Campisi's. They were nothing more than some loosely connected Italian bootleggers who moved into gambling. They owned some bars, strip clubs, and restaurants.

Denver wasn't very different in that way.
Posted By: larrywheels

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 09/02/13 12:44 AM

the great book the green felt jungle has a chapter about dallas- the binion and Harold the cat noble fued. an old timer named nick in dallas in 1991 told me about it. dallas had rackets just like every city and lots of oilmen had money and gambled. joe civello , campisi formed alliances with the Dixie mafia and ruby had the fix with the police.
Posted By: Virgil_the_Mick

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 01/02/14 10:04 PM

Agreed, TonyG, the Maceos ran a model operation and did so with honor. While Chicago leaned on New Orleans, Galveston somehow flew below the radar (in spite of the fact that Galveston was equally viable, even more viable during Prohibition because of its geography as a long and relatively undeveloped barrier island.) Illegal gaming was a gentleman's agreement with the Maceos... Jakie Freedman, who would later found the Sands in Las Vegas, had the Domain Privee only an hour away in Harris County. When "Colonel" W.L. Moody, self-proclaimed emperor of Galveston, who'd made his fortune in hotel monopolies, threw his weight with the Maceos, Sam responded coolly. He counseled Moody to stay out of Maceo business and the Maceos would stay out of hotels. Moody knew the only reason he hadn't already been ruined was because the Maceos had chosen to let him be. The only tax? Moody had to let them be in return. In a thirty-year span, the only aspect of Galveston the Maceos couldn't persuade was an over-zealous, Elliot Ness wannabe named Jim Simpson. After crushing Maceo Syndicate in the late '50s, Simpson, a long-time Texas City attorney, lived long enough to see Galveston erode into the ghetto shit-hole it became in the '60s, '70s and '80s. The crack peddled by the moulinyans on the island, and the crank cooked and peddled by the biker trash on the mainland (all of Galveston County was run by the Maceos) would never have stood under Sam and Rose. Only with gentrification beginning in the mid-'90s has Galveston slowly begun to return to her Maceo-era glory.

But like Las Vegas, she will never be the same.

The most comprehensive telling of the Maceo empire is in Gary Cartwright's book, Galveston: A History of the Island

Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 01/02/14 11:20 PM

When was the last time something mob related actually happened in Texas that was related to Texas???

And the Lucchese's don't count thats NY.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 01/03/14 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: LaLouisiane
When was the last time something mob related actually happened in Texas that was related to Texas???

The JFK assassination! cool lol
Posted By: BigRed

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 01/03/14 03:07 AM

When "Colonel" W.L. Moody, self-proclaimed emperor of Galveston, who'd made his fortune in hotel monopolies, threw his weight with the Maceos, Sam responded coolly. He counseled Moody to stay out of Maceo business and the Maceos would stay out of hotels. Moody knew the only reason he hadn't already been ruined was because the Maceos had chosen to let him be.

According to the book you mentioned it was the opposite. Sam Maceo was building a luxury complex on the island, Moody Jr heard about it, summoned Russ Maceo to HIS office, and told him I stayed out of gambling, you stay out of hotels. Apparently construction stopped the very next day.

Check it out. Page 238

http://books.google.com/books/about/Galveston.html?id=RFRu8kYThEcC

Also check page 240. Moody may have tried to frame Maceo for drug dealing at some point. A lot of his co-defendants plead guilty to heroin distribution though so maybe they weren't as clean as they acted.

The Maceos made a lot of money, but it wasn't really their town.
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 01/03/14 10:57 PM

Houston is the only city I can think of that might have some LCN activity but I am doubtful about that as there has not been any arrests or investigations for some time There is an old Lucchese associate living in the Houston area.
Posted By: pmac

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 01/03/14 11:14 PM

There was a bona no capo mickeys bats cardello I think. He left NYC after a prison bid but when vitale rolled he got indicted for 3 old murders he was living in texas retired not to old. Anyway I'm pretty sure he didn't cooperate got 10 yes and probably living back in Texas. He sweet deal probably was cause he claimed to retire to Texas any one no anything about him.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 01/04/14 11:25 AM

Pmac, there was a Cardello family living in Dallas that were friends with the Ianni family, both Frank and Joe Ianni were made members of the Dallas crime family. Weather Michael mickey bats Cardello is related to this family I do not know. Mickey bats is definitely retired.
Posted By: JCB1977

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 01/04/14 06:57 PM

Houston is where Vincent "Vinny Ocean" Palermo moved to in WITSEC and got busted for promoting prostitution in his strip club there. The only family I am aware of was from Dallas, the Civello Crime Family. They had strong ties to Traficante and Marcello back in the 1940's-1960's. Don't know much else about the Civello's.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/st...rticle-1.402629

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/10/03/40233.htm

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 01/07/14 03:56 AM

Thank you for the post JCB. So Vinny Ocean was living in Houston at the time, so there is really no more LCN presence in that city. Houston is the biggest city in Texas and is the hardest for the street gangs and drug cartels to have complete control of the city. Joe Marcello had interests in Houston around the late 1950's till the late 1990's. Dallas did have a crew in the city but rumor has it that they pulled out of Houston after their capo over the city was murdered in the late 1940's.

The Civello's were related through marriage to New Orleans, Rockford, and Denver crime families. Blood relations through members of Los Angeles, Kansas City and Tampa crime families. They were also close to the Lanza's of San Francisco crime family, and the Cerrito's of the San Jose crime.
Posted By: DallasConnected

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 12/27/14 01:18 PM

Being from Dallas i can say there is no Family there since the old man Campisi pasted away and even then it was a small crew. There are a few guys with clubs, Bars, and Strip joints. But there not connected to a family and most are wannabe clowns. Gambling is huge in Dallas and Albert Reed Jr was a big player when it came to bookmaking, Mr E is a well connected guy. The good ole boys kept the gambling rings under wraps. The fertitas that own UFC and Stations casinos father was a player in the Corpus gambling which was huge from what i hear
Posted By: Binnie_Coll

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 12/27/14 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
Originally Posted By: LaLouisiane

The JFK assassination! cool lol

true story, the dallas police force was corrupt from top to bottom. they let jack ruby in the basement knowing he had a gun, it was a classic texas set-up. with the mob and all.

Re: Is there any LCN in Texas? - 12/27/14 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: DallasConnected
Being from Dallas i can say there is no Family there since the old man Campisi pasted away and even then it was a small crew. There are a few guys with clubs, Bars, and Strip joints. But there not connected to a family and most are wannabe clowns. Gambling is huge in Dallas and Albert Reed Jr was a big player when it came to bookmaking, Mr E is a well connected guy. The good ole boys kept the gambling rings under wraps. The fertitas that own UFC and Stations casinos father was a player in the Corpus gambling which was huge from what i hear

Yep, big time gambling in Texas, poker and sports. LCN just never had enough guys or connections to take over. The good ole boys own most of it.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET