Home

Dean Depreta

Posted By: cheech

Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:26 PM

he plead guilty in the ct gambling gambino bust

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Gambino-family-leader-pleads-guilty-4580993.php#ixzz2VRy5sRkX

meeting with little mario, guy is like 90....these old guys dont stop
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:35 PM

Not surprising. They had a TON of evidence. I heard he would have pled out sooner but he was holding out hope for bail just to spend some time with his kids. When he lost his last bail hearing he decided to finally get the plea over with. He was never even thinking of taking this to trial. It's not a great deal, either. With his federal record the guidelines give him something like ten mandatory.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:37 PM

yeah he got caught on the Stefanelli tapes...looks like they may throw the book considering his past your right....the lesser guys only got a year or two

i dont think anyone will go to trial, Uva still holding out I think

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: cheech

He'll deal. It's in his blood wink shhh.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

So how many grains of salt we talking about on this one ??

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

So how many grains of salt we talking about on this one ??

You really gotta get off the fucking dope.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:43 PM

Last time I spoke to the "F'n Doctor" he was acting so salty everything cool Mr. Pizzaboy?

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:44 PM

Yeah, I'm good. Thanks.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:53 PM

meeting with little mario, guy is like 90....these old guys dont stop

He's not that old, Cheech. He's exactly my Dad's age, and my Pop will be 84 this fall. But I understand what you're saying smile.
Posted By: AllGoldEverything

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:57 PM

pizza joe has yet to plead out as well.

this case landed with the wrong judge to make deals with. add that to the fact that Jongbloed prosecuted him back in 03 too. I was surprised on the amount he agreed to forfeit (300K).

I am thinking he is looking at 5-7 years here. No violence, plus the case got messed up for the feds when their star witness committed a murder suicide.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:58 PM

maybe his kid, i saw somewhere he was 78 in 2009

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 05:58 PM

most likely wrong info, it was from some chart

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: AllGoldEverything
pizza joe has yet to plead out as well.

this case landed with the wrong judge to make deals with. add that to the fact that Jongbloed prosecuted him back in 03 too. I was surprised on the amount he agreed to forfeit (300K).

I am thinking he is looking at 5-7 years here. No violence, plus the case got messed up for the feds when their star witness committed a murder suicide.

I agree about Jongbloed. He's a tightass, even as far as prosecutors go. He's one of the guys who truly believes he's doing "God's work." When he was working in tandem with Dowling and Sheridan (the agents who were assigned to put away Tony Megale back in late '80s), they were actually out of control. But I'll agree to disagree about the sentence. I say closer to ten than five. But time will tell.

And welcome to the boards, Pal smile.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 06:05 PM

maybe his kid, i saw somewhere he was 78 in 2009

That sounds about right. That'd make him born around 1930. My Dad was born in '29.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 06:09 PM

thats OLD! lol

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 06:15 PM

thats OLD! lol

No doubt. But it ain't 90 lol.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 07:24 PM

How many more people are getting nailed by these Stefanelli tapes?

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 07:32 PM

the whole east coast for christ sake, cant believe this soldier knew so many people
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 10:01 PM

Posted By: azguy

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 10:10 PM

45 and the head of southern CT, not bad.

When is Mengale getting out, lol...

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/06/13 11:45 PM

Megale gets out next summer I think
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 01:23 AM

Pizz does DePreta have the same kind of connections to the Bronx and Westchester guys as Tony Genius or not even remotly,
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 01:30 AM

hgjv

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyBoy117
Pizz does DePreta have the same kind of connections to the Bronx and Westchester guys as Tony Genius or not even remotly,

im not 100% sure Tony but I would have to say yes considering his proximity of where he lives but I'll defer to PB

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 04:34 PM

im not 100% sure Tony but I would have to say yes considering his proximity of where he lives but I'll defer to PB

Because he's the Pope of Throggs Neck! PB when we playing golf? Merion this week I got extra tickets $250 a whop

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 05:09 PM

It's not even close, that proximity to New York (which is overrated at times) notwithstanding. Tony was actually the official sitting UB at one point. So, come on now.

You have to remember, Tony has LONGTIME ties to the Bronx-Westchester faction of the Gambinos (which granted, ain't what it used to be), and truth be told he also has friends in the other two dominant families in that area. He was actually partners in a club in Morris Park back in the '80s BEFORE he was made. That's remarkable for a Connecticut guy who was only in his 30's at the time.

Now Dean's a great earner but I think you guys are reading waaaaaay too much into that "titular head of the Gambinos" comment made by an overzealous prsecutor. Back in 1990 when Tony went away on his first federal bid they said the same thing about Davy Crockett (the original Baldy up there), and it turned out that he wasn't even made (just keep that in mind when you read these online charts about today's Connecticut crew wink ).

When Davy finally went into WITSEC and allocuted to everything, the feds were forced to admit that the guy didn't even have his button (although he sure didn't mind letting people think he did). And this was also a guy that they labeled the "head of the Southern Connecticut Gambinos." Well, he wasn't even straightened out.

Dean's a good earner. A standup guy. He's been around Tony and Nick since he was a kid for God's sake. But he ain't Tony Megale. When Tony comes home next summer, if he keeps his stripes (and I think he will), things will revert back to him. By the time Dean gets out of prison, Tony will be well into his 60's. Maybe then you can talk about a succession. Until then it's just Internet chatter, which leads to rumor, which people eventually take as fact.

I'm sorry for being longwinded here, but you never know who's reading this stuff. And I wouldn't want the feds thinking Dean was responsible for things up there that he isn't responsible for because of speculation on a message board. I guess my point is that Fairfield only needs one boss, and New York knows it wink.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 05:11 PM

I put it the wrong way, i meant he must have some sort of relationship, wasnt saying the same as AM, thats my bad

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 05:13 PM

I put it the wrong way, i meant he must have some sort of relationship, wasnt saying the same as AM, thats my bad

No problem, Cheechee smile.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 05:36 PM

Because he's the Pope of Throggs Neck! PB when we playing golf? Merion this week I got extra tickets $250 a whop

i get all the little jabs you throw at me and i find them to be hysterical, keep them coming

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 05:38 PM

What did I tell you about mixing Oxy with your Cheerios in the morning?

Besides, I wouldn't play at a club that would have you. But you can always carry my bag. I'm a pretty good tipper, and God knows that your legal feels aren't going away tongue grin.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 06:52 PM

There is only one made guy in Connecticut that I know of who is not in jail. He lives in Stratford.

Funny that his crew hasn't been caught up in a big indictment for over 20 years. Totally different mentality. Different revenue streams too.

That Stamford sheet is a hot package. A lot of money, but pretty much a suicide mission. Someone always picks up the reins though.

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 07:16 PM

What did I tell you about mixing Oxy with your Cheerios in the morning?

Besides, I wouldn't play at a club that would have you. But you can always carry my bag. I'm a pretty good tipper, and God knows that your legal feels aren't going away tongue grin.

Actually I had a suboxone with a bacon egg n cheese omelet. "Cheechy" can carry you bag lol

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 07:20 PM

i get all the little jabs you throw at me and i find them to be hysterical, keep them coming

Jabs? I'm talking about "Pope of Greenwich Village"

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/07/13 10:58 PM

You and I both know what it is DN. But it's all good. Despite everything you have said about me across the street I wish you all the best. I know how hard addiction can be and I truly mean that. I hope you beat it

Re: Dean Depreta - 06/08/13 03:20 AM

You and I both know what it is DN. But it's all good. Despite everything you have said about me across the street I wish you all the best. I know how hard addiction can be and I truly mean that. I hope you beat it

Thanks Cheech Your The Man !! crazy crazy crazy

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/10/13 12:01 PM

HARTFORD -- Back in January 2002, Dean DePreta was warned by a federal judge that he had a choice -- commit to his biological family and live a law-abiding life or return to organized crime with the Gambino family.

DePreta, 45, of Bartina Lane, Stamford chose the later.

"Clearly that was not sufficient to deter you," U.S. District Judge Vanessa Bryant told DePreta.

On Wednesday, Bryant sentenced DePreta, who a federal prosecutor claimed is "the titular head" of the Gambino crime family's southwestern Connecticut operation, to 71 months in prison.

But the judge didn't stop there. She fined DePreta $50,000, ordered him to forfeit $300,000 and required him to be supervised by U.S. Probation for three years following his release from prison.

DePreta was among 20 reputed Gambino associates, bookmakers and gamblers rounded up in June 2012. He was the only one who was denied bond and as a result has spent the past 16 months behind bars. He pleaded guilty to conspiring to violate the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act through extortion and overseeing an illegal gambling operation that included a Costa Rica-based website and high-stakes clubs at 859 East Main Street and 614 Glenbrook Avenue in Stamford as well as at 2965 State Street in Hamden.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Hal Chen said DePreta had as many as 30 bookmakers who paid a yearly fee to operate, and at least 200 committed gamblers. All this provided a $9 million profit in 4 1/2 years to the crime family, the prosecutor said.

One of the local bookmakers who cooperated with authorities was petrified when called to meet with DePreta at a local diner, Chen said. DePreta described the man as "easy pickings" whose family "got money," Chen said.

The man was forced to meet with DePreta and Nicholas "Nicky Skins" Stefanelli, a Gambino solider who was cooperating with the FBI after being caught in a drug deal. Stefanelli wore a wire during the meeting, which took place in a Southport diner. The bookmaker was told he had to come up with $5,000, court documents claim.

Still, Ethan Levin-Epstein, DePreta's lawyer, said his client is not "a loan shark or an arsonist ... not the stereotypical leg breaker ... just the manager and operator of an illegal gambling business -- no more, no less."

Bryant conceded that DePreta is a gambler, and said that like a gambler, "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Well Mr. DePreta you lost." She added that the prison term and fines were the price he had to pay.

DePreta, a muscular 6-footer with a clean-shaven head and face, stared at Chen throughout the prosecutor's argument to the judge, When given the chance to speak, DePreta told Bryant: "I see I made a big mistake. You won't see me in this courtroom again."

But the judge was not convinced.

She called DePreta "a recidivist who voluntarily chose to commit criminal acts for decades -- at the expense of others."

Bryant called him an "individual who simply refuses to adhere to any standards imposed on him by anyone other than his criminal associates."

During a Jan. 30, 2010 meeting at Paramus, N.J., diner, Stefanelli told DePreta he would inform Gambino captain Jimmy Dellarata that he and DePreta would work together as a team, according to court documents. They would kick up a portion of the tax taken from bookies to both Dellarata and Mario Antonicelli, a ranking Gambino soldier. Dellarata was to get $1,000, court records indicate.

Stefanelli claimed "Bridgeport's mine," in the conversation, according to the documents. DePreta and Stefanelli also discussed other Gambino superiors including Louie Ricco, a soldier and Louis Fillippelli, a Gambino captain. During the conversation, DePreta said he was committed to the Gambino family.

"I believe in ... the whole thing, the whole thing. I'm looking out for the principles of the family," he was recorded as saying, according to court documents.

Stefanelli could never be a witness at any trial, however. He killed himself on Feb. 26, 2012 after murdering the man he believed set him up in the drug deal.
Posted By: southend

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/10/13 01:31 PM

Was reading through this thread, lots of good info from cheech pizzaboy and AllGoldEverything and a couple good articles too. At the same time I obviously couldn't help seeing our old dope fiend pal's drug-induced nonsense. Lots of credit from me to the two of you for handling it far well than I ever did for sure.
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/10/13 06:59 PM

another article about his sentencing. says that they were feuding with the genovese family there.

Mobster Gets 71 Months In Racket Case
October 09, 2013|By EDMUND H. MAHONY, emahony@courant.com, The Hartford Courant
A Stamford man associated with New York's Gambino crime was sentenced to 71 months in prison Wednesday for extortion and other crimes associated with his operation of a string of gambling businesses in southwestern Connecticut.

Federal prosecutors said Dean DePreta, 45, was the leader of about 20 men charged a year ago with running illegal card games and sports betting offices from New Haven to Stamford. In some cases, the illegal gambling network enabled gamblers to place bets over the Internet with a company based in Costa Rica.

Authorities running wire taps recorded DePreta numerous times discussing the gambling operation, including his collection of "street taxes" by extorting or " shaking down" independent bookmakers who were not paying criminal organizations for protection.

After one extortion demand by DePreta, federal prosecutors said the victim was "so visibly agitated from this meeting that he nearly walked into oncoming traffic."

DePreta and others were recorded gossiping about mob politics and declaring their appreciation for what they described as the values embodied by the mafia.

DePreta asserted that he believed in "the whole thing," and that he was "looking out for the principles of the Family," in one recorded conversation.

During the investigation, federal prosecutors said FBI agents became aware of a violent struggle between the Gambino organization and the rival Genovese crime family over competing card games each operated in Hamden. The mobs profited from the games by "chopping" a piece from each pot.

Concerned that the Gambino game was cutting into their profits, three Genovese mobsters attacked the building at 2965 State St. in Hamden where the Gambinos ran poker games that sometimes lasted until 5 a.m. on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights.

The Genovese mobsters pitched rocks at the building and barked insults into the intercom system when they failed to breach the security door. Inside, the mostly middle-aged business men playing cards became alarmed, mistaking the sound or rocks hitting walls for gun fire, according to information presented in court.

"The dealer had to yell at the guy to tell him to put his (expletive) phone away and don't call the cops, you know?," one of the Gambino mobsters said in a recorded conversation.

The recorded conversations also showed that DePreta and his associates where "whacking up" their gambling revenues, dividing about half among themselves and sending the remainder to mob high-ups in New York.

DePreta previously pleaded guilty to – and was sentenced Wednesday by U.S. District Judge Vanessa Bryant – on one count of racketeering conspiracy. The charge accuses DePreta of extortion and operating illegal gambling businesses. DePreta also was ordered to pay a $50,000 fine and to forfeit $300,000.

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/10/13 07:27 PM

During the investigation, federal prosecutors said FBI agents became aware of a violent struggle between the Gambino organization and the rival Genovese crime family over competing card games each operated in Hamden.

this is way out of proportion...i knew a lot of these guys and was a real close friend of the supposed master agent mike pepe (he gets out next month)...they originally slashed tires of a genevese hang out in west haven then they retaliated by throwing rocks

violent? hahahha

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/10/13 07:29 PM

not one made guy by the way which is funny they cal them all gambino's
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/10/13 07:33 PM

i wonder if any of those genevese guys throwing rocks were made? i doubt it.

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/10/13 08:30 PM

Well, not to be a know-it-all, but I told everyone from day one that Dean didn't have his button. But because someone saw his name on an Internet chart, they took it as Gospel.

Besides, if he was made the Feds would have indicted him that way. They LOVE to put "made member" on an indictment whenever they can. He was indicted as an associate because that's what he is. That "Titular head of the Gambinos" nonsense came from an overzealous prosecutor rolleyes.

There just isn't any reason for another made guy up there. Tony comes home next year---he usually averages about two or three years on the street before going back---and that's when Dean should be coming home. It's a very predictable cycle. I honestly thought Dean would have gotten closer to ten; some posters said three to five, and he ended up with six. So it ended up right in between. Par for the course when predicting this shit.

And like I posted on the other site, the problem is, these prosectuors seem to have a hard-on for Dean. Chen's a young guy, and Joengblod (the lead federal prosecutor in that district) is a lifer with the DA's office in the District of Connecticut. So when this kid comes home in four or five years, they'll be waiting. Because if anyone thinks that it's never personal with some of these prosecutors, then you've never been inside a courtroom.

I'm not defending the guy, you play you pay. But these gambling sentences are ridiculous. Killers are getting less time in state court when they plea out to man two or agg assault. And when that happens the system is clearly not working.

But it's a life lesson. You're not just a bookmaker when you're kicking up; not in the eyes of the Feds, anyway. To them, you're a part of a bigger conspiracy, even though 90 percent of Connecticut bookies will go their whole lives without actually meeting a made guy.
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/10/13 08:33 PM

During the investigation, federal prosecutors said FBI agents became aware of a violent struggle between the Gambino organization and the rival Genovese crime family over competing card games each operated in Hamden.

this is way out of proportion...i knew a lot of these guys and was a real close friend of the supposed master agent mike pepe (he gets out next month)...they originally slashed tires of a genevese hang out in west haven then they retaliated by throwing rocks

violent? hahahha

they slashed tires lol at least set the car on fire or something, thats even more embarassing than the rock throwing.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/10/13 09:01 PM

Well, not to be a know-it-all, but I told everyone from day one that Dean didn't have his button. But because someone saw his name on an Internet chart, they took it as Gospel.

Besides, if he was made the Feds would have indicted him that way. They LOVE to put "made member" on an indictment whenever they can. He was indicted as an associate because that's what he is. That "Titular head of the Gambinos" nonsense came from an overzealous prosecutor rolleyes.

There just isn't any reason for another made guy up there. Tony comes home next year---he usually averages about two or three years on the street before going back---and that's when Dean should be coming home. It's a very predictable cycle. I honestly thought Dean would have gotten closer to ten; some posters said three to five, and he ended up with six. So it ended up right in between. Par for the course when predicting this shit.

And like I posted on the other site, the problem is, these prosectuors seem to have a hard-on for Dean. Chen's a young guy, and Joengblod (the lead federal prosecutor in that district) is a lifer with the DA's office in the District of Connecticut. So when this kid comes home in four or five years, they'll be waiting. Because if anyone thinks that it's never personal with some of these prosecutors, then you've never been inside a courtroom.

I'm not defending the guy, you play you pay. But these gambling sentences are ridiculous. Killers are getting less time in state court when they plea out to man two or agg assault. And when that happens the system is clearly not working.

But it's a life lesson. You're not just a bookmaker when you're kicking up; not in the eyes of the Feds, anyway. To them, you're a part of a bigger conspiracy, even though 90 percent of Connecticut bookies will go their whole lives without actually meeting a made guy.

ya that whole "CEO of the Connecticut Gambinos" seemed a little ridiculous, and calling Uva the "Chief operating officer" really cracked me up.
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/11/13 02:25 PM

Little Mario is made also, with Tony that makes two
Posted By: TommyGambino

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/11/13 02:30 PM

Only 2 made Gambino's in Conneticut? Wow, I'm guessing they have no influence out there, how many made guys did they have at there peak in Conneticut?

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/11/13 03:50 PM

Little Mario is made also, with Tony that makes two

But he's not Stamford based and he never has been. He was always much closer the the old guard in New York, and he functioned as a go between with Hartford. He was never hands on in the Fairfield area; not even when he was coming up (which was like a thousand years ago lol ).

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/11/13 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TommyGambino
how many made guys did they have at there peak in Conneticut?

Not many over the years; it was more a succession of made guys: Frank Piccolo, Tommy DeBrizzi, Tony Megale. The area doesn't call for it. Besides, they get more than their share of heat up there. The Fairfield area is always under investigation, so why make more guys?

But to say the Gambinos have no influence up there is way off base, Tommy. There are still a lot of shylocks, sports offices and card games in that area that kick up to New York.
Posted By: TommyGambino

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/11/13 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TommyGambino
how many made guys did they have at there peak in Conneticut?

Not many over the years; it was more a succession of made guys: Frank Piccolo, Tommy DeBrizzi, Tony Megale. The area doesn't call for it. Besides, they get more than their share of heat up there. The Fairfield area is always under investigation, so why make more guys?

But to say the Gambinos have no influence up there is way off base, Tommy. There are still a lot of shylocks, sports offices and card games in that area that kick up to New York.

Thanks mate.
Posted By: Numbers

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/12/13 02:08 AM

Piccolo (Captain), Debrizzi (acting captain), Megale (UB) were the local Gambino bosses in succession but lots of other made guys:

Gambino:
Cosmo Sandalo
Dave Iacovetti
Paolo Agresta
Nick Patti (Captain)
Angelo Culmo (Captain)
Ed Riolino
Don Perrotti
Joe Biondo
Victor Riccitelli
Guido Penosi
Angelo Mascia
John Palmieri
Beaver Salvaggio (or Genovese)

Genovese:
Midgie annunziato
Tommy vastano
Francis Curcio
Gus curcio
Vincent Pollina
Salvador Basso
Benjamin Marchese
Tony Volpe
Girolamo Santuccio (Bobby Doyle)
Joe Pontoriero
Billy West (Vito Sabia)
Anthony Zezima

Patriarca:
Billy Grasso (UB)
Mariano Grasso
Louis Failla
Anthony ascenzia
John Vitello
John Taddei (maybe made)
Rico Petrillo
Sal D'aquila
Dominic Marangelli
Fred Palmieri
Simonelli

Colombo;
Ralph Tropiano (Captain)
George Tropiano
Charlie Demartino

Decavalcante:
Pippi Guerrero
Joseph Laselva
Anthony Laselva
Thomas Laselva
Frank Carbone

Philadelphia:
Robert Gentile

Calabrian N'drangheta:
Vincent Melia
Posted By: southend

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/12/13 01:02 PM

nice list there, welcome.

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/14/13 05:26 PM

John Taddei (maybe made)

yes made...now deceased, i knew him

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/14/13 05:26 PM

low key guy, wonder how you knew him Numbers?
Posted By: Numbers

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/15/13 11:56 PM

I had a lot if family up there, mostly dead now, used to be around midgie and some with whitey and Colombos. They were in Garbage biz. abd booking. Colombos and Genovese ran Garbage through Stamford into Westchester. Cousins with Cigars in Bridgeport too. What nobody realizes it that the families all worked together, not so divided- some guys hung more with other families than their own. And so many New York guys came to connecticut over the years down in stamford/Greenwich/Norwalk area that there's no clear distinction between Connecticut, NYC, Westchester members. These guys do business wherever they can make money and it's just easier where there's lots of Italians because they have access to everything. And there's more Italians in Ct per capita than in NY or NJ. So many connected guys that don't make headlines but make lots of money, guys that don't want to be made, just want to earn. They blur the line and that's what this has always been about.
Posted By: Gotti

Re: Dean Depreta - 10/16/13 03:21 AM

Is his full name Dean DePreta? Shouldn't it be De Preta?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET