Home

Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan?

Posted By: Flushing

Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/02/13 01:07 AM

Besides the MDC, ofcourse.
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/02/13 02:56 AM

Don't know, seems like Manhattan has became gentrified over the years with neighborhoods like East Harlem, Little Italy, and Hells Kitchen going away. I'm sure some still do
Posted By: baldo

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/02/13 12:51 PM

I wonder if any still live in Williamsburg and what they think of all the hipsters there!
Posted By: DonCarlo76

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/02/13 02:43 PM

The Graham ave section of Williamsburg still has plenty of mobbed up spots & made guys living there. You have to understand that W'burg is like 6 different, separate neighborhoods in 1 (Italian, Hasidic Jews, Puerto Ricans, Hipsters, Polish..)
Posted By: azguy

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/02/13 02:44 PM

I had read once that John "Jackie Nose" D'Amico live in an east side high-rise...

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/02/13 06:50 PM

I walked down 10th avenue in the former Hell's Kitchen recently. The change in manhattan, the rate of develoement is undescribable. I wonder how manhattan's uninterrupted growth occurrs while the rest of us are still in recession?

As for williamsburg, yeah there are still some italian shops and stuff on graham, lorimer and metropolitan. I think a lucchese bookmaker and pork store owner was recently arrested there. East williamsburg is also where durso recorded his genovese pals. Also Bamontes restaurant is still in operation next to the BQE.
Posted By: moneyman

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/02/13 07:24 PM

napolitano pharmacy right of graham ave , i always assumed that was sonny black related, never had the balls to ask in anyone in there motion lounge is now a fancy architects office or something pretty weird
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: DonCarlo76
The Graham ave section of Williamsburg still has plenty of mobbed up spots & made guys living there. You have to understand that W'burg is like 6 different, separate neighborhoods in 1 (Italian, Hasidic Jews, Puerto Ricans, Hipsters, Polish..)

Yep. Most of the Italians are in Via Vespucci (e.g. North end of Graham Ave).
Posted By: stevapalooza

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: DonCarlo76

I think the hipster area is on the north side by the river, right? North 5th street seems to be
one of the trendy blocks.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Flushing
I wonder how manhattan's uninterrupted growth occurrs while the rest of us are still in recession?

Two words: Bloom Berg whistle.

But all kidiing aside, it's Bloomy's "branding" of Manhattan that has turned the place into Hollywood East. The economy never affects places like Beverly Hills, right? Well, there's so much money living in Manhattan today that construction has become recession proof. I read an article just this week stating that over SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT of new construction below 96th Street is on "luxury buildings," with an average starting price of over $800,000 for a one bedroom. It's crazy.

Now I admit that I voted for Bloomberg the first two terms, but I couldn't get past what he did with the term limits just to get himself four more years. That's why I hope to God someone can knock this Quinn out of the box. Voting for her is like voting a fourth term for Bloomberg.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 06:05 PM

Not to get off topic but who's running against her PB?

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

It looks like Weiner will primary her for the Dems. A year ago that would have been a joke, but he's building some steam now. The Republican nominee is still anyone's guess. I was hoping that Ray Kelly would have run, but that's a longshot right now.
Posted By: cheech

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 06:25 PM

News had Weiner on the front page the other day playing goalie

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

It looks like Weiner will primary her for the Dems. A year ago that would have been a joke, but he's building some steam now. The Republican nominee is still anyone's guess. I was hoping that Ray Kelly would have run, but that's a longshot right now.

Wasn't Guiliani a pretty solid mayor? I've heard Bloomberg has done a pretty good job. But if there's a reasonable republican running it would be interesting to see how that turns out. The GOP tends to be more moderate in the northern states.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 06:47 PM

Well, Bloomberg isn't a real anything. He changes parties whenever it suits him. Not that that matters to me. I favor the Independents nowadays anyway. And like I said, Bloomberg's first two terms were solid. I voted for him twice, but his ego is out of control now.

Okay, enough of that. Back on topic.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 06:54 PM

Right of course. So I was under the impression manhattan wasn't exactly a hotbed for wiseguys. Being it the touristy part of New York

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 07:05 PM

Right of course. So I was under the impression manhattan wasn't exactly a hotbed for wiseguys. Being it the touristy part of New York

Right, but that's now. Don't forget that Mulberry Street, the West Village and East Harlem all fall within Manhattan's boundaries. So at one time, you had three neighborhoods that were hotbeds for OC activity. And that's not even mentioning the mid-westside, formerly known as Hell's Kitchen, which was Ground Zero for the Irish hoods (and more than a few Italians as well).

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 07:12 PM

So obviously there's still some crews of the 5 families in Manhattan. So since many of the neighborhoods are gone, where do they even operate in now?
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
So obviously there's still some crews of the 5 families in Manhattan. So since many of the neighborhoods are gone, where do they even operate in now?

Nicky you still have a presence there without physically being there.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 07:20 PM

PB I remember in another thread you mentioning you're more likely to find a gay guy or a Chinese dude on mulberry street this day and age lol made me laugh but it's true. I still remember visiting little Italy a few years ago seeing all the Italian flags and shops but wondering where all the Italians were.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

Nicky you still have a presence there without physically being there.

That's right. The main mob "presence" in Manhattan is in construction. There aren't any "Little Italiies" left in Manhattan. So as far as things like social clubs and numbers stores go, well, they're pretty much all gone. The wiseguys split for the suburbs and the outer boroughs, just like Italian Americans in general.

It's funny, though. The old Little Italy (Canal Street to Houston Street, and the Bowery to around Lafayette Street) has gotten to be one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Manhattan. A full one bedroom will run you at least $3000 a month down there. It's just ironic because the reason that the Italians all left was to assimilate into "nicer" neighborhoods. Today that's one of the nicest neighborhoods in Manhattan.

It's a shame that those very same Italian Americans who want to move back there now are often priced out. According to the 2010 census, there isn't a single Italian born resident living in that zip code. It's all over.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 07:59 PM

AT PB well if there aren't any Italians left in that area then who occupies it ? I have an idea but I think we both know the answer to that lol
Posted By: Jenkins

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 08:06 PM

Does ANYONE besides the super rich live in Manhattan anymore?

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
AT PB well if there aren't any Italians left in that area then who occupies it ? I have an idea but I think we both know the answer to that lol

Yuppies and professionals. The hipsters can't even afford that area. Why do you think Williamsburg took off like it did? It's in close proximity and about 2/3rds the price (For now; the real estate market will eventually put an end to that, too).

The Chinese are getting priced out as well. At the 2010 census, the Chinese population below Canal Street dropped for the first time in fifty years. Hell, even the gays are getting priced out of the Village. They moved on up to Chelsea. And God knows that they're good at managing money (relax, that's a GOOD stereotype).

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenkins
Does ANYONE besides the super rich live in Manhattan anymore?

Well, I never said you had to be SUPER rich. But if you're making less than a hundred grand a year you're going to have a hard time today. A professional couple should easily be able to swing it.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 08:18 PM

Can anyone explain to me why Realestate is so damn expensive in little Italy and the village? Or New York and the northeast in general? North end Boston is super expensive as well

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 08:30 PM

Can anyone explain to me why Realestate is so damn expensive in little Italy and the village? Or New York and the northeast in general? North end Boston is super expensive as well

It's a trend. The Hollywood types have really made lower Manhattan jump in price this past five or so years. More tv shows are being filmed here than ever before. It's a supply and demand thing.

I just feel sorry for people who have lived in a neighborhood all their lives, who get priced out, all to make room for a twat like Lindsay fucking Lohan. And I'm just using that particular twat as an example. It could be any one of them.

I own property in three boroughs, Manhattan among them. My property on West 8th Street is my pride and joy. It belonged to my aunt and uncle for many years, and I'll never sell it. Ever. But I try to at least be reasonable with the rentals. I'd much rather rent to three NYU kids than some hipster writer schmuck with televison aspirations rolleyes.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 08:50 PM

It's a trend. The Hollywood types have really made lower Manhattan jump in price this past five or so years. More tv shows are being filmed here than ever before. It's a supply and demand thing.

I just feel sorry for people who have lived in a neighborhood all their lives, who get priced out, all to make room for a twat like Lindsay fucking Lohan. And I'm just using that particular twat as an example. It could be any one of them.

I own property in three boroughs, Manhattan among them. My property on West 8th Street is my pride and joy. It belonged to my aunt and uncle for many years, and I'll never sell it. Ever. But I try to at least be reasonable with the rentals. I'd much rather rent to three NYU kids than some hipster writer schmuck with televison aspirations rolleyes.

I tell you what when I was deciding what college to go to i was accepted to Suffolk which is in the right in the middle of downtown Boston. They only offered one year of guaranteed housing. So we were looking at places in the north end and the shopping district. We could not find a place cheap enough to stay all three years, not even with a roommate. North end is fun: great food, shops, entertainment, and plenty of Italians still live there but to live there as college student you gotta get a job or something because rent is only going up.

That in a nutshell is why I decided to go to Lasell instead haha

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/04/13 10:41 PM

I bet your property in Manhattan is worth a fortune! It's interesting to me how NYC has evolved. In the 1980's NYC was still pretty raw and you still had rough areas in Manhattan. Now all those areas are gentrified. Times Square was seedy but now it's all touristy.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/05/13 12:04 AM

There was also a small "little italy" on 1st avenue between 14th street and 8th street. Veniero's, DeRoberts and Lanza's are located there. Luciano was raised in the neighborhood (10th street) and the mob supposedly operated a bar called LuLu's there. Gambinos also operated out of DeRoberts. I don't know if it could be classified as a "little italy" but it was a heavily italian downtown section and was not attached to the mulberry little italy or the greenwich village section.

Would love to see a map with all the historical crews and there old haunts mapped out. Gigantes old social club is an upscale tea shop now.
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/05/13 12:24 AM

This whole mess is one big reason why I decided to move to Chicago - you can get everything a big city has to offer, which is what I'm after, but without the insane rents of New York. I was really surprised how reasonable the rents were in Chicago compared with other big cities.

(By the way, any man over the age of, say, 23 who is renting a single room for $950 a month in a four bedroom apartment "with three other dudes" that he met on Craigslist just so he can be able to claim that he lives in Brooklyn is a retard.)

Hey Pizzaboy! Remember that fellow I mentioned who moved to Bed-Stuy from here to pursue his dreams or whatever, and now acts like he's a native New Yorker? Lately he's started bitching about "the yuppie assholes from Manhattan who are moving into Brookyln". Seriously!

Oh yeah, right, the topic... I believe Frederico "Fritzy" Giovanelli still lives in Manhattan.

(Edit: I tried to remove the rant preceding the Fritzy comment, but Camarel quoted me before I could, so back up it goes.)
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/05/13 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Ivan
This whole mess is one big reason why I decided to move to Chicago - you can get everything a big city has to offer, which is what I'm after, but without the insane rents of New York. I was really surprised how reasonable the rents were in Chicago compared with other big cities.

(By the way, any man over the age of, say, 23 who is renting a single room for $950 a month in a four bedroom apartment "with three other dudes" that he met on Craigslist just so he can be able to claim that he lives in Brooklyn is a retard.)

Hey Pizzaboy! Remember that fellow I mentioned who moved to Bed-Stuy from here to pursue his dreams or whatever, and now acts like he's a native New Yorker? Lately he's started bitching about "the yuppie assholes from Manhattan who are moving into Brookyln". Seriously!

Oh yeah, right, the topic... I believe Frederico "Fritzy" Giovanelli still lives in Manhattan.

(By the way, any man over the age of, say, 23 who is renting a single room for $950 a month in a four bedroom apartment "with three other dudes" that he met on Craigslist just so he can be able to claim that he lives in Brooklyn is a retard.) - I've not got a clue who you were talking about on this site who's said something of this effect (if you even were) but that comment cracked me up lol

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/05/13 01:28 AM

Sorry to get off topic again but some of you sound like you would enjoy this website:

Diehipster.com

All about willieburg/bushwick/bedstuy hipsters. Absolutely hilarious.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/05/13 01:48 AM

So kinda off topic but as a southerner I'm curious about NYC. As far as prestige, cost of living, etc... it appears Manhattan and Brooklyn are 1 and 2 respectively when you talk about the boroughs. How do Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island rank after that? And how does Jersey fit in? Is Jersey where you live if you can't afford to be in NYC? Or are some parts of Jersey (Hoboken, Jersey City) as good or better than some of the outer boroughs?

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/05/13 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

've not got a clue who you were talking about on this site who's said something of this effect (if you even were) but that comment cracked me up

errr haha there's a ton of hipster weirdos around here (central Ohio) who are all making this exodus to Brooklyn for some reason - they are eminently mockable.

One of them that I know quite well makes a big deal out of being a "New Yorker" and looking down on all who aren't even though he's lived there for about 18 months of his 29 year existence - I've joked about him with pizzaboy before.

I'm tempted to post his MySpace music page just so I can watch it get shot to shit by the peanut gallery here, but I'm not that mean....
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/05/13 03:12 AM

Oh man, that must be nice. That is some expensive real estate. Congrats PB, it sounds like you've done very well for yourself, and your still a young guy.

My grandfather used to own a decent amount of real estate in Brooklyn and Manhattan but when he passed away most of it was sold by my relatives who didn't have the foresight to keep it as an investment. It would probably be worth a small fortune today. My favorite was a place he had in Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn practically right on the water. I used to love going there when i was a kid.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/06/13 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Flushing
Sorry to get off topic again but some of you sound like you would enjoy this website:

Diehipster.com

All about willieburg/bushwick/bedstuy hipsters. Absolutely hilarious.

Awesome, that is hysterical.

I've heard rumors that the bastards are starting to move in on Cleveland. It's a shame about Brooklyn, and I'm very sorry about that, but if they ruin Cleveland I dunno if I can still remain civil.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/06/13 02:43 PM

By the way, any man over the age of, say, 23 who is renting a single room for $950 a month in a four bedroom apartment "with three other dudes" that he met on Craigslist just so he can be able to claim that he lives in Brooklyn is a retard.

And if you're over 23 living in that situation AND you own a fucking skateboard, do us all a favor and just kill yourself right now. You are not going to contribute anything to society, ever, so please, just jump.

EXACTLY the kind of douchebag I'm always bitching about, Ivan.

Quick story: Last year around Christmas week I'm in a pub on MacDougal Street with both of my daughters. I had real estate business in the neighborhood, blah blah blah, and the kids wanted to meet me in the Village for a drink before they headed out for the night. So we're sitting there and there are these two nice girls from Jersey City who strike up a conversation with my kids. About a half hour later, two guys about their age, originally from Dayton (sorry, it could just have easily been Wisconsin, but it was really Dayton), start busting the chops of these two nice girls for living in Jersey City "like farmers." In Jersey fucking City, five minutes from the Holland Tunnel, all their lives, and these two assholes from Dayton fucking Ohio are calling them farmers?

Now I'm 53 years old, but I guess I had on my Scorsese face that night. Because I just sneered at these kids and said, You think they're farmers? I think you should apologize. They did, bought us all a drink, and got the fuck out of there lol.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/06/13 03:08 PM

i miss the old manhattan...got my first fake id on canal and broadway when i was 16....it was terrible but what did i know...forty deuce wasnt disney yet and was very seedy...i happen to like seedy smile

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/06/13 03:09 PM

never liked Guilianni, thought he was a fraud and that Kerik is a SCUMBAG

hate bloomberg, biggest flip flopper ever.... stop and frisk is unconstitutional

but what do i know...im from connecticut lol

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/06/13 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cheech
forty deuce wasnt disney yet and was very seedy...i happen to like seedy smile

I say it at least once a day when I'm in that area. Times Square had a lot more character when there were peep shows and dope dealers all over the place.

Tad's Steaks circa 1977: Worst steaks in New York in the front, Seconals in the back lol.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/10/13 12:58 AM

Completely agree. I know at least 10 people who fall in this category and they think they know NY like the back of their hand cause they went around a few touristy parts, took some pics and uploaded them to instagram, showed some of their other friends around "the new BK" while simultaneously uploading pics to facebook,instagram,and twitter. Seeing this shit honestly makes me very angry, as a native New Yorker.

And if you're over 23 living in that situation AND you own a fucking skateboard, do us all a favor and just kill yourself right now. You are not going to contribute anything to society, ever, so please, just jump.

Ive also seen the ones in suits and skateboards. Everybody is looking at them like WTF, and wondering if they are going to crash/fall.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/11/13 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

Completely agree. I know at least 10 people who fall in this category and they think they know NY like the back of their hand cause they went around a few touristy parts, took some pics and uploaded them to instagram, showed some of their other friends around "the new BK" while simultaneously uploading pics to facebook,instagram,and twitter. Seeing this shit honestly makes me very angry, as a native New Yorker.

Hell I've never even been to New York and the desecration of Brooklyn by that sort of faggotry gets on my nerves. I can't imagine how much it must suck for someone who's actually from New York. Though I've seen it happen to neighborhoods outside New York and it's painful to watch.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/11/13 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

Hell I've never even been to New York and the desecration of Brooklyn by that sort of faggotry gets on my nerves. I can't imagine how much it must suck for someone who's actually from New York. Though I've seen it happen to neighborhoods outside New York and it's painful to watch.

It is Ivan. Makes NYC lose its character, which is what made NYC, NYC.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/11/13 08:22 PM

By the way, any man over the age of, say, 23 who is renting a single room for $950 a month in a four bedroom apartment "with three other dudes" that he met on Craigslist just so he can be able to claim that he lives in Brooklyn is a retard.

EXACTLY the kind of douchebag I'm always bitching about, Ivan.

Quick story: Last year around Christmas week I'm in a pub on MacDougal Street with both of my daughters. I had real estate business in the neighborhood, blah blah blah, and the kids wanted to meet me in the Village for a drink before they headed out for the night. So we're sitting there and there are these two nice girls from Jersey City who strike up a conversation with my kids. About a half hour later, two guys about their age, originally from Dayton (sorry, it could just have easily been Wisconsin, but it was really Dayton), start busting the chops of these two nice girls for living in Jersey City "like farmers." In Jersey fucking City, five minutes from the Holland Tunnel, all their lives, and these two assholes from Dayton fucking Ohio are calling them farmers?

Now I'm 53 years old, but I guess I had on my Scorsese face that night. Because I just sneered at these kids and said, You think they're farmers? I think you should apologize. They did, bought us all a drink, and got the fuck out of there lol.

I thought you were gonna tell us that you locked the door from inside the bar and told the Dayton Hicks; "Now youse can't leave." smile

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/11/13 09:17 PM

lol lol lol lol lol

You know what's sad is that whenever you see something about Brooklyn in the news media these days, it's always something fruity like some retarded chick with tattoos that look like necrotizing fasciitis opening a cupcake shop or something. When I was younger, the image of Brooklyn in the popular imagination was of a tough, blue-collar neighborhood, but that has been totally replaced by the hipster thing. It's amazing how fast and how much Brooklyn's image has changed in just the past few years.

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/12/13 02:39 AM

I would be pissed of too. The old NYC seemed so much better. Luckily there's not as big of a problem in Chicago.
Posted By: SiciNy

Re: Do any mobsters actually still live in Manhattan? - 05/12/13 03:03 AM

You know what's sad is that whenever you see something about Brooklyn in the news media these days, it's always something fruity like some retarded chick with tattoos that look like necrotizing fasciitis opening a cupcake shop or something. When I was younger, the image of Brooklyn in the popular imagination was of a tough, blue-collar neighborhood, but that has been totally replaced by the hipster thing. It's amazing how fast and how much Brooklyn's image has changed in just the past few years. [/quote]

depends on the part of brooklyn your in...still have the tough blue collar neighborhoods but they seem to be fading out to the weirdo hipsters!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET