Home

Moulinyans (Moolies)

Posted By: WestBaltimore96

Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 05:57 PM

Interesting word that can be describe as a racial slur towards blacks, but the word's actual meaning is Italian dialect for eggplant, and I love eggplant!!

*Make note, this discussion needs to be civil and within boundaries of respect. If we can't engage in intelligent discussion without being disrespectful, then what is the point??
Posted By: Bennie_The_Ball

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: WestBaltimore96

Interesting word that can be describe as a racial slur towards blacks, but the word's actual meaning is Italian dialect for eggplant, and I love eggplant!!

and what is the color of an eggplant? Thus the slur.
Posted By: carmela

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 06:05 PM

Find me an Italian that refers to an eggplant as moulinyan. Eggplant is melanzana and that's what Italians call it.

And which Italian dialect are you referring to? Which region? Thanks.
Posted By: meffaboston

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 06:09 PM

Wtf are you serious
Posted By: meffaboston

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 06:12 PM

Dude there's all types of ppl on this board,,what a way to make them feel comfortable...if your black maybe your comfortable with it but I now other ppl might not be and we need inteligent ppl on these boards no matter what color they are
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 06:22 PM

the only time i have heard that word is on the sopranos and from wannabe sopranos people commenting on youtube clips of the sopranos usually saying things like.
"yeah tonys a real gangster, not like deeze moulinyans with a baggy pants and the hip hop."

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela

Find me an Italian that refers to an eggplant as moulinyan. Eggplant is melanzana and that's what Italians call it.

It's actually Neapolitan and it means black, not eggplant. You know how shit gets mixed up.
Posted By: carmela

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bennie_The_Ball

It's actually Neapolitan and it means black, not eggplant. You know how shit gets mixed up.

Yes, I know how "shit gets mixed up". It's an Italian American word. Eggplant is melanzana. Period. In Sicilian, they will pronounce it with a "j" sound in there, so it comes out as "melangiana", but that's Sicilian dialect. Other regions will say it with a different accent, but people in Naples are not going around saying moulinyan for black. I promise you.

The word is meant to be a racial slur and it's used by Italian Americans ala Tony Soprano, like someone mentioned above.

edit: well I asked my husband just now and he said, the word "mulignana" is used by some Italians as a way to refer to black people. I guess that's where the Italian American word, moulinyan came from. No matter what, though, it's a racial term.
Posted By: SC

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 06:58 PM

You're new here, and I don't like your posting style already. Go somewhere else if you're determined to shake the racist shit around.

(You're here two days ..... take a hint and don't argue with me).
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 07:11 PM

i prefer japanese eggplants over the italian varieties any day. they are much more slender, so it takes alot more work peeling them, but you will be rewarded with flesh that is almost seedless, and much less bitter.
Posted By: Gotti

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 07:41 PM

Isn't it spelled mulignan?

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 07:43 PM

Thanks for everyone's input, but I'm not trying to start any contentious discussion on this word, just seeking further insight on it's origins, functionality and context. Myself, being unsure of this word, I did the most proper and respectful thing which was to research. By that, meaning, asking a primary source (my Italian friends), proceeded by a more academic approach in looking at definitions from written and electronic sources. This is meant to be an intelligent discussion and engagement. Carmella and have provided some good information I wasn't aware of. This is necessary to have clarity.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 07:46 PM

Racist?! What are you talking about? If my posting style offends you, that is your problem, not mine!!

Originally Posted By: SC

You're new here, and I don't like your posting style already. Go somewhere else if you're determined to shake the racist shit around.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 07:47 PM

Not sure about the dialect and region? That is what I asked.

Yes, I know how "shit gets mixed up". It's an Italian American word. Eggplant is melanzana. Period. In Sicilian, they will pronounce it with a "j" sound in there, so it comes out as "melangiana", but that's Sicilian dialect. Other regions will say it with a different accent, but people in Naples are not going around saying moulinyan for black. I promise you.

The word is meant to be a racial slur and it's used by Italian Americans ala Tony Soprano, like someone mentioned above.

edit: well I asked my husband just now and he said, the word "mulignana" is used by some Italians as a way to refer to black people. I guess that's where the Italian American word, moulinyan came from. No matter what, though, it's a racial term.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 07:50 PM

Racist?! What are you talking about? If my posting style offends you, that is your problem, not mine!!

I'd wrap this up and put this baby to bed. If you catch my drift.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 07:55 PM

No, I do not catch your drift if you're speaking to me?

I'd wrap this up and put this baby to bed. If you catch my drift.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 08:01 PM

You see, this is the type of intelligent discussion I'm talking about. Carmella just educated me on the word.

Posted By: SC

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 08:28 PM

You see, this is the type of intelligent discussion I'm talking about. Carmella just educated me on the word.

Good. Now that you're educated on the word we can close this thread. It serves no purpose to discuss a word with racist overtones, something that seems an agenda with your early posts here.

BTW - If I have a problem with your posting style, then you have one, too.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 08:30 PM

I disagree!!! Where are the racist overtones? An agenda?!! Lol.. What agenda? We are on a discussion board!! Smh..

Good. Now that you're educated on the word we can close this thread. It serves no purpose to discuss a word with racist overtones, something that seems an agenda with your early posts here.

Re: Moulinyans (Moolies) - 04/02/13 08:31 PM

I disagree!!! Where are the racist overtones? An agenda?!! Lol.. What agenda? We are on a discussion board!! Smh..

© 2024 GangsterBB.NET