Home

The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY?! (pre-1980)

Posted By: BaltimoreSteel69

The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY?! (pre-1980) - 03/20/13 07:28 PM

What borough, or section of NY would you say had the most Mafia members, from Dons to associates pre-1980?

East New York (Brooklyn)? The Bronx? Lower Manhattan?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Out" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:30 PM

I know you "diehard", "orthodox" New Yorkers gonna have a lot to say.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Most "Mobbed Out" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BaltimoreSteel69

I know you "diehard", "orthodox" New Yorkers gonna have a lot to say.

Not really tongue.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Out" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:32 PM

I'm just fucking with you lol.

Welcome to the boards.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:32 PM

LOL..!!
Posted By: EastHarlemItal

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:33 PM

Pre 1980? There's no question and I think we all know the answer!

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal
I think we all know the answer!

125th and Lenox?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:36 PM

Brooklyn?! I'm just taking a wild ass guess!

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:39 PM

Pre 1980, East Harlem hands down. No area even close.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:46 PM

Tony Salerno, Dominick Cirillo, Angelo Prisco, Danny Leo, Ducks Carallo, Liborio Bellomo, Trigger Coppola, Sammy Santora, Jimmy Alo, Tommy Lucchese, the list is a mile long

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:46 PM

How so? People will say East Harlem is not even that big?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:48 PM

It's something in the water! It's not big but there were a 100K Italians living there for years. It's fairly documented who is from there.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 07:49 PM

People will say East Harlem is not even that big?

Who, people from Baltimore?

Stick to crabcakes, why don't you? tongue grin

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 08:04 PM

LOL.. He said "stick to crabcakes." Smh.. Wow! That is all we are known for? Sad.. A lot of New Yorkers live in Baltimore.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY?! (pre-1980) - 03/20/13 08:12 PM

What borough, or section of NY would you say had the most Mafia members, from Dons to associates pre-1980?

East New York (Brooklyn)? The Bronx? Lower Manhattan?

I´d say Bronx and the Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights/Bath Beach area in Brooklyn.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY?! (pre-1980) - 03/20/13 08:14 PM

A lot of wiseguys in East Harlem and Lower East Side (Manhattan) too. (Pre 1980 that is.)

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 08:14 PM

LOL.. He said "stick to crabcakes." Smh.. Wow! That is all we are known for? Sad.. A lot of New Yorkers live in Baltimore.

A joke, pal. We like to break balls here, but only in good fun smile.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 08:20 PM

My New York friends say South Brooklyn?
Posted By: SC

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 08:21 PM

He said "stick to crabcakes." Smh.. Wow! That is all we are known for? Sad.. A lot of New Yorkers live in Baltimore.

We call them Baltimorons.

I know you're playing and I'm laughing...Lol

But it is sad though..
Posted By: DonCarlo76

Without a doubt pre 1980 & till this day its the Bensonhurst/Dyker/Bath Beach/Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn. ALL families are still represented and at that time you had Spero, Gravano, Persico, Scarpa, Faraci, etc all using the area as their main base of operations.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 08:22 PM

What is a Baltimoron? New Yorkers who move to Baltimore are "Baltimorons", or the locals?
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY?! (pre-1980) - 03/20/13 08:22 PM

I have a relative down there who was a lifelong NYer before moving there. Not to Baltimore though but Towson.

The Chesapeake Bay is my favorite place to go boating. I haven't been there in a few years but hopefully this summer i'll get down there and rent a boat for a couple weeks.
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 08:25 PM

I think it's a very vague question but I'll point out tht historically Bensonhurst, BK had a significant presence from all five familys

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY?! (pre-1980) - 03/20/13 08:27 PM

I'm not too far from Towson, but closer towards the city near Loyola University and John Hopkins.

Almost everyone in Maryland has family, friends and associates in New York, or vice-a-verse. Yankees fans down here are deep!

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 08:28 PM

How could have I framed it?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 08:32 PM

Definitely...yes.

As a matter of fact, I believe the Little Italy section (Manhattan), South Brooklyn and East Harlem being the areas where the NY Mafia first established a presence in the early 1900s. As Italian population started to move out of these areas, so did the Mafia.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 08:38 PM

Baltimoron

a. Idiots who have overstayed their welcome in urban (Baltimore) Maryland and have immigrated to other states such as Pennsylvania. Baltimorons often state that they left urban life because of crime and a high cost of living. Once an area such as southern Pennsylvania becomes infected with Baltimorons, the taxes are dramatically increased and the quality of life of the natives is diminished. Once the Baltimorons realize that they have created taxes equal to their home land, the idiots end up moving back to Maryland after they have destroyed the balance of outlying communities.

a. Did you see what that neighbor did? It is okay, he is a baltimoron, he doesn't know any better.
b. Freaking Baltimorons have congested the community. It takes me 20 minutes to cross town now.
c. This used to be a nice area to raise a family till the invasion of the Baltimorons.
Posted By: DB

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 11:49 PM

Also Michael and Andimo Pappadio who were big in the luchese family but rarely talked about
Posted By: southend

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/20/13 11:58 PM

Brooklyn

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Definitely...yes.

As a matter of fact, I believe the Little Italy section (Manhattan), South Brooklyn and East Harlem being the areas where the NY Mafia first established a presence in the early 1900s. As Italian population started to move out of these areas, so did the Mafia.
I'll give you East Harlem for sure, The former Little Italy as well, but Brooklyn no
Posted By: stevapalooza

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 08:50 AM

South Brooklyn for sure because you're not even talking about one Italian neighborhood, you're talking about a bunch of Italian neighborhoods all clustered together.
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 01:12 PM

Tony Salerno, Dominick Cirillo, Angelo Prisco, Danny Leo, Ducks Carallo, Liborio Bellomo, Trigger Coppola, Sammy Santora, Jimmy Alo, Tommy Lucchese, the list is a mile long

Totally agree with East Harlem. It's tough to compete with that list.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 01:37 PM

Add Benny "Squint" Lombardo, the DiNapoli brothers to the list. I will keep adding when I get counter arguments
Posted By: bronx

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 02:19 PM

harlem, bensonhurst

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 04:21 PM

But during the earlier days didn't many of those Italian families in East Harlem and Little Italy move out to South Brooklyn, Queens and other less dense neighborhoods.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 04:30 PM

Wasn't the question posed thru/ or till 1980?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 04:36 PM

Indeed!
Posted By: cheech

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 04:37 PM

why did they call phil lombardo benny?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: cheech
why did they call phil lombardo benny?

He had glasses about six inches thick. He squinted constantly I'm told

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 05:06 PM

funny, thanks EHI

Because Im the fuckin Boss!
Posted By: ChiTown

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 09:26 PM

What is the main Italian section in the Bronx called? Where Vinny Basciano and Patty DeFellipo ran.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 09:39 PM

They were based out of the East Bronx, Throggs Neck in particular but really throughout the area, Vinny Gourgous lived pretty close to me growing up and thats no bullshit ask PB. Also I wouldnt reffer to the area as "Italian" entirely becouse there's a lot of others especially Irish and German nor would I say that the Bonnanos ran the neighborhood because they didn't, the other crews in the area had allot more say than them and at this point there all but extinct as a crew, of which there was only really in in the BX as oppose to the others with several(Save the Colombo's entirely)

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 09:47 PM

Some claim DeFilippo´s crew was split in half around 2002, one half ended up under Basciano. Any thoughts on that claim?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 09:51 PM

Some claim DeFilippo´s crew was split in half around 2002, one half ended up under Basciano. Any thoughts on that claim?

Who made this claim? Is it FBI?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 09:52 PM

Nope.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 09:52 PM

Nope.

So it's "street talk"?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 09:58 PM

Unsourced, no foot notes! Blasphemy!

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 10:12 PM

It's more than possible that there were two crews in the Bronx for a time with one being under Vinny but if so it was mostly composed of Vinnys own guys, the crew didn't ever split in half as far as I'm aware but again I could be wrong, I have a feeling a friend of mine may know better

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyBoy117
It's more than possible that there were two crews in the Bronx for a time with one being under Vinny but if so it was mostly composed of Vinnys own guys, the crew didn't ever split in half as far as I'm aware but again I could be wrong, I have a feeling a friend of mine may know better

Who's making this claim? With no sources it's his shouldn't even be discussed.

Just following the protocol set by the experts.
Posted By: Benny_Eggs

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 10:38 PM

I say harlem and Bensonhurst...but from 1980 on, gotta be BEnsonhurst

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 11:10 PM

They were based out of the East Bronx, Throggs Neck in particular but really throughout the area, Vinny Gourgous lived pretty close to me growing up and thats no bullshit ask PB. Also I wouldnt reffer to the area as "Italian" entirely becouse there's a lot of others especially Irish and German nor would I say that the Bonnanos ran the neighborhood because they didn't, the other crews in the area had allot more say than them and at this point there all but extinct as a crew, of which there was only really in in the BX as oppose to the others with several(Save the Colombo's entirely)

You're doing fine, Tony. You don't need me to echo you. But I will just a little bit tongue lol.

Vinny lived at the end of Revere, right on the corner of Schurz. His beauty parlor was next to S&W Market (which used to be a bar for years and years), across the street from Tommy's pizzeria and the old Casey's.

Like Tony the Kid said, they were East Bronx based but the Bonannos hardly "ran" the neighoborhood. QD lived here forever and Prisco was based out of Westchester Square back then, so you do the math. Or fuck it, I'll do it for you: East Bronx = Genoveseland, with the Luccheses coming in a close second. If you want, call them 1 and 1a, but the Bonannos only made noise here briefly. Late '90s thru the mid 2000's. Their rise and fall here honestly mirrored Vinny B's.

And for the record, Patty D's headquarters was closer to Castle Hill than over here. The stores were all in the Westchester Avenue, Zerega, Castle Hill area. Still the East Bronx, but to be technical that area is sandwiched in between Pelham Bay and Parkchester.

That's $2 for the geography lesson, ChiTown smile.
Posted By: ChiTown

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 11:12 PM

Who's making this claim? With no sources it's his shouldn't even be discussed.

Just following the protocol set by the experts.

Hope you are being sarcastic.

What about Ridgewood in Queens? Aren't there a lot of Sicilians there still? There certainly were when those psychos in the Cafe Giannini crew were operating out there...

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/21/13 11:17 PM

Old joke ChiTown! You'll see soon enough
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 12:29 AM

Old joke ChiTown! You'll see soon enough
lol
Posted By: Jenkins

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 12:59 AM

Are any mob guys left in Manhattan? I don't know New York at all but from what I read it's gotten so expensive that only the super wealthy can live there.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenkins
Are any mob guys left in Manhattan? I don't know New York at all but from what I read it's gotten so expensive that only the super wealthy can live there.

Rent control is a beautiful thing!
Posted By: Vigil

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Benny_Eggs
I say harlem and Bensonhurst...but from 1980 on, gotta be BEnsonhurst

Definitely, Bensonhurst Brooklyn, then South Ozone Park Queens.
Posted By: Gotti

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 07:34 PM

You guys know any big names that operated or still operate out of Belmont in the Bronx?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Gotti
You guys know any big names that operated or still operate out of Belmont in the Bronx?

None. There isn't one club left.

And before you ask, I'm 53 years old, grew up at 187th and Hoffman, own a building there now and still live in Throggs Neck. Patsy still owns Rigoletto, but that place is off limits to any of that stuff.

The restaurants and stores are still Italian, but the population is almost entirely Latino today. Even most of the Albanians, who followed us to Belmont, have moved to the suburbs.
Posted By: Jenkins

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Gotti

None. There isn't one club left.

And before you ask, I'm 53 years old, grew up at 187th and Hoffman, own a building there now and still live in Throggs Neck. Patsy still owns Rigoletto, but that place is off limits to any of that stuff.

The restaurants and stores are still Italian, but the population is almost entirely Latino today. Even most of the Albanians, who followed us to Belmont, have moved to the suburbs.

pizzaboy, I bet you've rubbed shoulders with a bunch of mob guys in your lifetime. Not saying you are old by any means but you were around back in the mob's glory days. Any good stories of bumping into guys?

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenkins
pizzaboy, I bet you've rubbed shoulders with a bunch of mob guys in your lifetime. Not saying you are old by any means but you were around back in the mob's glory days. Any good stories of bumping into guys?

I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy. And rumor had it that he knew a guy who knew a mob guy. But it's just a rumor whistle.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 08:41 PM

What about Howard's beach? People seem to be forgetting it
Posted By: Skinny

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 10:16 PM

Hb is da shit! Hb is where all the guys who grew up in tenament buildings in ozp and richmond hill moved to so they could raise their kids. Post 80s, its up there with bhurst, bville, and throggsneck. But how the fuck would i know everything i get is from stalking mafia forums like a fucking fairy!

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Skinny
Hb is da shit! Hb is where all the guys who grew up in tenament buildings in ozp and richmond hill moved to so they could raise their kids. Post 80s, its up there with bhurst, bville, and throggsneck. But how the fuck would i know everything i get is from stalking mafia forums like a fucking fairy!

Or like a hairy. See what I did? I made a rhyme. lol

All in good fun

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 10:54 PM

Isn't Bville like all black now? Its not exactly a great neighborhood

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 11:31 PM

My b i meant the jersey bville....
Posted By: SiciNy

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/22/13 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Isn't Bville like all black now? Its not exactly a great neighborhood

not completely. italians are still there.mostly blue collar town

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:02 AM

Pretty sure he thought i meant brownsville, bk, which is all afro american. Cant speak for joe tho.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 04:35 AM

I was skinny. I was asking because the luccheses got a crew there. But it can't still be based in Brownsville if the place is all black

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:15 PM

What about Howard's beach?

It's Howard Beach, JoeSchmo. Howard beach. No possessive. A guy named Howard doesn't own the fucking place tongue.

I was skinny. I was asking because the luccheses got a crew there. But it can't still be based in Brownsville if the place is all black

The Luccheses have a crew in Brownsville? I hate to break it to you, son. But the last of the Italians and Jews left Brownsville during the Nixon administration lol.

You're thinking of East New York, anyway. And ditto for that crew.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:19 PM

Schmo we've been over this Brownsville topic FIFTY TIMES! It's a square mile of projects! Period! And trust me there's nothing Italian about Brownsville anymore! It's a dump! Your talking fifty years ago! When HUD started all these areas changed!

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:21 PM

Schmo we've been over this Brownsville topic FIFTY TIMES! It's a square mile of projects! Period! And trust me there's nothing Italian about Brownsville anymore! It's a dump! Your talking fifty years ago! When HUD started all these areas changed!

Exactly.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:22 PM

And there's no Mr Brown! Mr Howard took a heart attack the day HUD was formed! So it's Howard Beach now! He didn't have kids! Ok!

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:24 PM

And there's no Mr Brown! Mr Howard took a heart attack the day HUD was formed! So it's Howard Beach now! He didn't have kids! Ok!

Thank God for Father Lou and SEBCO. That's all I'm saying.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:26 PM

Thank God for Father Lou and SEBCO. That's all I'm saying.

Good old Padre Lou! "I took an oath of celibacy, not poverty"

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:27 PM

"I took an oath of celibacy, not poverty"

And he honored one of those lol.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:28 PM

"I took an oath of celibacy, not poverty"

And he honored one of those lol.

And don't know! He was a sneaky one!

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:32 PM

The man did a world of good for that neighborhood. To dismiss him as a hypocrite because of who his brothers were is beyond ridiculous.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 03:36 PM

The man did a world of good for that neighborhood. To dismiss him as a hypocrite because of who his brothers were is beyond ridiculous.

Agree 100%, we've argued this against the masses before!

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 04:17 PM

Haha I got you guys. Forgive my ignorance of NYC, I'm just a dumb fucking mick from Cape Cod. I wouldn't know any better right PB? grin

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 04:20 PM

I wouldn't know any better right PB? grin

You said it, not me tongue lol.

Re: The Most "Mobbed Up" Hood in NY? (past) - 03/23/13 04:31 PM

I wouldn't know any better right PB? grin

You said it, not me tongue lol.

You know me, I'm just a curious little bugger. I remember one time I asked my dad about Greenwich Village and I pronounced it like the color green. My dad replied if I ever called it that while in NYC I'd get run out of town lol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET