Home

Mafia Recruitment

Posted By: botz

Mafia Recruitment - 02/10/13 03:55 AM

How does one join the mafia? Is it like a masonic society if your asked to join? It makes you wonder sometimes.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/10/13 04:05 AM

You have to be a white male of Italian blood. Usually 100% Italian but sometimes guys who are part Italian get in. Earners are more valued today then shooters. You have to be vouched for by another member and ultimately go through the formal blood and fire induction ceremony. Usually a guy has been involved in the criminal life for years, and is well known by the family, before he has the opportunity to become "made."

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/10/13 04:13 AM

but im talking about an outsider that wants attention from the mafia so he can be them?
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/10/13 04:54 AM

No
Posted By: azguy

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/10/13 05:12 PM

Seriously....?? Read some books, you need to be an known, an earner and an associate on the books for years before you are even considered for membership.
Posted By: LittleNicky

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/10/13 05:19 PM

How do you make your bones today? It seems like the modern mafia is far less violent, that murder is far more dangerous with all the forensics and the rats- so how do modern members make their bones? How do they make sure that an associate isn't FBI without having them actually commit murder?
Posted By: m2w

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/10/13 06:44 PM

before being made you are with them for years, they know you very well, often you are also related to some of them by blood
the bosses of the town where you was born know you
in italy to be made you have to be southern italian
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/10/13 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: LittleNicky
It seems like the modern mafia is far less violent, that murder is far more dangerous with all the forensics and the rats- so how do modern members make their bones?

Bring them a million dollars that you made with an Internet scam. It's not a bad start.

But all kidding aside, being an earner today trumps your abilty to pull the trigger (although ideally they'd prefer you to be capable of both).
Posted By: AndrewDiDonato

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/12/13 01:05 AM

I really like this website. Very informative and I hope to help out the best I can. To answer you're question botz. To join the Mob, your father must be Italian. Most of them have to be able to understand and work the streets, where all of the cash is earned. High leveled members are usually the first to be aware of the money earners on the street. You are also asked by the criminal underworld to precede and join.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/12/13 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: AndrewDiDonato
I really like this website. Very informative and I hope to help out the best I can. To answer you're question botz. To join the Mob, your father must be Italian. Most of them have to be able to understand and work the streets, where all of the cash is earned. High leveled members are usually the first to be aware of the money earners on the street. You are also asked by the criminal underworld to precede and join.

Supposedly, in New York at least, the rule was changed back to 100% Italian around the late 1990's/early 2000's. But I think well-connected guys, who are only partial Italian, still get in.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/12/13 11:11 AM

To be honest, as the old bosses have passed away, more cowards are brought into The Mob. They are more careless now and change the rules whenever they like. Some people are now made even though their dad might not be Italian. It's mostly about making money now, which counts. The Mafia tradition actually doesn't mean anything today. Some agree, some disagree.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/12/13 07:28 PM

@Andrew DiDonato

Thank you man, but I don't what everybody is not getting is when I mean outsider for example let me put it this way could a guy be in the mob if he is an orphan but has an italian last name of course but himself is a criminal but has no relative mafia background cause he is an orphan or foster kid growing up not knowing who his parents are. Would a mobster recruit this type of person? And how would an outsider like this background I just mentioned get a mobster to notice who he was?
Posted By: stevapalooza

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/12/13 07:29 PM

In the old days they just recruited locally. Neighborhood tough guys. Street gangs were always a good farm system.
Posted By: SilentPartnerz

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/12/13 08:46 PM

Andrew Campos isn't Italian, but he made too much money for them NOt to have him in the Gambino's. He is the only NY guy I can think of without an Italian surname.
Posted By: EastHarlemItal

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/12/13 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: m2w
before being made you are with them for years, they know you very well, often you are also related to some of them by blood
the bosses of the town where you was born know you
in italy to be made you have to be southern italian

Set up a Shy and Book business, pay a lot of money, kiss a lot off ass. Save a lot of cash for a good lawyer because you'll need it!

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/12/13 08:50 PM

how you know campos is not italian?
maybe his surname is campo and was americanized in the past
Posted By: jonnynonos

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/12/13 08:56 PM

That is kind of a funny question. I imagine here in Chicago it would be near impossible unless you were someone's kid... of if you ran an absolutely huge book or had a staggering amount of money out on the street. Something that would really make it worth it for them to "bring you in."

Who knows when the last "making" ceremony was, though.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 01:26 AM

An outsider gets known when he has been indicted, usually imprisoned and connects with other associates and made-men. They pass on the word to a captain or above him and say "yeah, this guy is tough, has been indicted 17 times for loansharking". Do you understand what I mean. Also, you don't need a mafia background, the rule WAS, your father HAD to be Italian to become a made-man or goodfella as you might call it. Some captains just rely on someones word, i mean, any guy could lie to a captain and say his father was Italian. He'd just need a good Brooklyn-Italian voice, and have an Italian surname too. Some other captains go a little bit further and strictly enforce and agree with the "Being made, your dad has to be Italian" rule. A few even asked to meet up with their father and asked the dad if he was Italian. As I said, the rules don't mean anything today.
Posted By: gamms

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 01:46 AM

lol.its andy. seen the old man lately?lol.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 01:51 AM

i don't think they make somebody if they're not sure he's italian, at least on the father's side and its not so difficult to know it
he would be friend with some made guy and he has enough time, years, to know if the family of the proposed member has italian descent, even if third or forth generations
Posted By: icegoodbarbPresident

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 03:20 AM

Most guys who are or become made guys have family or friends associated the mob so they would know if they were Italian on their Dads side plus you have to prove yourself which takes a long time they would get to know your family and the when your up for membership not only does your mob family know other members of the other families check you out and if they were curious about you being Italian or not it wouldn't be that hard for them to find out

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: AndrewDiDonato
Some people are now made even though their dad might not be Italian.

Even today, they're still pretty rare. Like half a dozen, at most, both past and present.

Originally Posted By: SilentPartnerz
Andrew Campos isn't Italian, but he made too much money for them NOt to have him in the Gambino's. He is the only NY guy I can think of without an Italian surname.

I don't think that's correct. I believe Campos does have some Italian blood. To my knowledge, nobody has ever been made who wasn't at least partially Italian. Particularly in New York, they wouldn't be accepted by the other families, who have to sign off it. There's also Gambino soldier Andrew Merola, who's given name is Andy Knapik; also having Italian blood on his mother's side.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 03:24 AM

Andy Catnip had to show his birth certificate!
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 03:30 AM

I can think of Porter,Veasy,and Frank Salleme's son who's dad was himself only half ,

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 03:33 AM

Would Frank Salleme' Jr bethe only known quarter Italian made guy?

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 04:38 AM

John and Frank Salemme would also be 3/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian.

Frank "Cadillac Frank" Salemme - New England Boss (Part Italian/Part Irish)

John "Jackie" Salemme - New England Acting Boss (Part Italian/Part Irish)

Frank Salemme Jr. - New England Soldier (Part Italian/Part Irish)

John "Junior" Gotti - Gambino Acting Boss (Part Italian/Part Russian Jew)

James "Jimmy" Marcello - Chicago Acting Boss (Part Italian/Part Irish)

Charles "Chucky" Porter - Pittsburgh Underboss (Part English/Irish/Part Italian)

Albert "Kid Blast" Gallo - Genovese Captain (Part Italian/Part Irish)

Joseph "Crazy Joe" Gallo - Colombo Soldier (Part Italian/Part Irish)

Lawrence "Larry" Gallo - Colombo Soldier (Part Italian/Part Irish)

Greg DePalma - Gambino Captain (Part Italian/Part Jewish)

Andrew "Andy" Campos - Gambino Captain (Part Puerto Rican/Part Italian)

James "Jimmy" Martorano - New England Captain (Part Italian/Part Jewish)

Joseph "The Nodder" Sodano - Philadelphia Captain (Part Italian/Part Jewish)

Vincent (Filipelli) Philipps - Philadelphia Soldier (Part English/Irish/Part Italian)

Joseph "The Beach Bum" Massei - Detroit Captain (Part Italian/Part English)

John Veasey - Philadelphia Soldier (Part English/Irish/Part Italian)

Robert "Bobby the Tiger" La Puma - Detroit Soldier (Part Italian/Part Polish)

Andrew "Andy Knapik" Merola - Gambino soldier (Part German/Part Italian)

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 04:42 AM

Nothing for nothing, how can someone be part Jewish? It's a religion! That's like saying he's half Catholic!

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal
Nothing for nothing, how can someone be part Jewish? It's a religion! That's like saying he's half Catholic!

To be Jewish can be a religion and/or an ethnicity, if I'm not mistaken. But I'm not sure of the exact ethnic connection like with John Jr. being part Russian Jew.

Posted By: jace

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 05:15 AM

Can the Mafia in USA really be that choosey anymore regarding how full-blooded a candidate is?
Posted By: jonnynonos

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 05:17 AM

Jewish is also an ethnic designation... though many if not the overwhelming majority of Jews also have varied genetic lineage, as most of us do...

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By: jace
Can the Mafia in USA really be that choosey anymore regarding how full-blooded a candidate is?

Well that's a big reason why the 90% of the Mafia's remaining membership is in the Northeast. At least 70% in NYC alone. Because there are a lot of Italians in that region. But even there, the assimilation of Italians has been going on for years now, including marriages with other ethnic groups. There are still plenty of full blooded Italians in New York but, as there are increasingly less and less of them who want to have anything to do with the Mafia, members who are only part Italian will probably become more common.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 01:05 PM

I have never heard of The Gallo Brothers being part Irish, or Joe Sodano, or Vince Fillipelli for that matter , could u pm any sources?, As for Greg DePalma you have confused Greg who was all Italian with his half Jewish son Craig who was also made but ratted and then attempted suicide

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyBoy117
As for Greg DePalma you have confused Greg who was all Italian with his half Jewish son Craig who was also made but ratted and then attempted suicide

That's correct, Tony Boy. Now stop showing Ivy up. He doesn't like to be corrected (You KNOW I'm just fucking with you, Ivy tongue grin ).

Greg was full blooded Italian. His wife Teri is all Jewish, making his sons, Michael and Craig, half-Jewish. As a matter of fact, I'm told that when Craig went into his coma and it was time to pick a nursing home, she actually insisted on United Hebrew up in New Rochelle because of its strong ties to her Temple in Scarsdale. But don't try to Google that, Ivy. You won't get any hits lol.
Posted By: stevapalooza

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

To be Jewish can be a religion and/or an ethnicity, if I'm not mistaken. But I'm not sure of the exact ethnic connection like with John Jr. being part Russian Jew.

Yeah. It all depends on how you are raised. I'm only half Italian, but since I was raised around the Italian half of the family in an Italian neighborhood it feels like full Italian to me. It's probably the same with Gotti Jr. Considering where he grew up, The Jewish part is probably just a technicality.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 03:52 PM

In regards to membership yeah it helps to be 100% Italian! Italian Surname is needed.

I regards to heritage I am extremely proud of mine, however I'm American first

And in regards to both of the above, in the words of the LATE GREAT Fat Tony Salerno "listen, it doesn't matter what you are it matters WHO YOU ARE, understand" words to live by.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 04:01 PM

I regards to heritage I am extremely proud of mine, however I'm American first

I hate it when this gets lost on people. As you know, I'm very proud of my Italian ancestry, too. But that's just what it is: ancestry.

We're first and foremost American, and we're very lucky for that. These guys who take the Italian thing too far (and it's not exclusive to Italians, it can be any nationality living in America), seem to have an identity crisis of some kind. Either that or some kind of insecurity.

But who the fuck am I to diagnose an identity crisis, Sigmund Freud? lol

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 04:10 PM

Speaking of that, went to a high school baseball game last week. National Anthem comes on, everyone stands up half way thru a middle aged healthy looking guy takes a set. After anthem ends a gentleman asks him "excuse me why did you sit?", he responds "I am not into that America is great propoganda" one old timer says "are you into the propoganda where I blow your fucking head off" it started to get ugly. Ended with what looked like his young son say
"Dad I told you, you should have stood the whole time"
Hand on the good book this happened. To be candid if I hadnt noticed he had a kid with him I would have cracked him in the mouth. He was a sweater around the neck and an ascot type looking guy!

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: stevapalooza
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Yeah. It all depends on how you are raised. I'm only half Italian, but since I was raised around the Italian half of the family in an Italian neighborhood it feels like full Italian to me. It's probably the same with Gotti Jr. Considering where he grew up, The Jewish part is probably just a technicality.

I agree 100% with this. I am the exact opposite, im 3/4s italian, 1/4 german.. But i was raised, just American. Not Italian or German American... Partly bc where i grew up (the south)... The only time i was around italian culture was visiting relatives in PA or NJ or Long Island... Now i live up here, its weird bc im getting all the culture and food and stuff at once. Same with my grandad who was italian but lived in a Florida orphanage... He never ate italian food until he met my grandma. But still, i dont really think of myself as an italian american, my grandparents could be, but ive been American for 4 generations... To me im an American with Italian blood.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: TonyBoy117
As for Greg DePalma you have confused Greg who was all Italian with his half Jewish son Craig who was also made but ratted and then attempted suicide

That's correct, Tony Boy. Now stop showing Ivy up. He doesn't like to be corrected (You KNOW I'm just fucking with you, Ivy tongue grin ).

Greg was full blooded Italian. His wife Teri is all Jewish, making his sons, Michael and Craig, half-Jewish. As a matter of fact, I'm told that when Craig went into his coma and it was time to pick a nursing home, she actually insisted on United Hebrew up in New Rochelle because of its strong ties to her Temple in Scarsdale. But don't try to Google that, Ivy. You won't get any hits lol.

Sorry, my mistake.
Posted By: DonMega

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 08:08 PM

100% irish what a shame lol guess my future lays with NYPD

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: DonMega

Or with Jameson's whistle.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 08:18 PM

Speaking of Jamison's, just got my Valentine's gift. A case of Johnny Walker Blue!

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 08:21 PM

Speaking of Jamison's, just got my Valentine's gift. A case of Johnny Walker Blue!

A case?

Marry that girl. Of course that means you'll have to leave your wife first whistle.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DonMega

If you're Irish and live in Massachusetts same thing happens. You join the BPD and become just as corrupted grin

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
If you're Irish and live in Massachusetts same thing happens. You join the BPD and become just as corrupted grin

Or you drown a girl in the Chappaquiddick river and get away with it because of who your Daddy and brothers were. Being Irish in Massachusetts isn't without its perks tongue.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Being Irish in Massachusetts isn't without its perks tongue.

Like a good Sam Adams and clam chowda cool Massachusetts is an awesome state. But then again we aren't known for hospitality. Whoever coined the term "Masshole" I would buy them a drink because it's true lol

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 09:05 PM

You gotta love Martha's Vineyard, though. If I had my way, I'd live a third of the year up there, a third in New York and a third in Florida.

Oh well, two outta three ain't bad lol.

Re: Mafia Recruitment - 02/13/13 09:11 PM

Marth's Vineyard is great. I haven't been in awhile though. My parents know and visit friends who have a place out there. But I love New York, although I've only been to tourist Manhattan
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET