Home

Gennaro Langella

Posted By: streetbossliborio

Gennaro Langella - 01/15/13 02:35 AM

Hi everyone. I've been a big fan of the site for a while now all the way from London and due to the fact I browse so much I had to join!

Anyway my post is regarding Gennaro Langella the old Colombo underboss. He seemed to have made his way up the family pretty rapidly but I haven't heard much about him at all in relation to his position and the fact he went away in the commission trial. Also he must have been a young high flyer in such powerful positions in his late thirties and early 40s.

Anyone have any info/rare pics??
Posted By: meffaboston

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/15/13 04:15 AM

Good question wad he real tight with the persico clan
Posted By: tommykarate

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/15/13 05:02 AM

Im sure he was if he was in the ub position back then

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/15/13 05:40 AM

why isn't he as well known? and there isnt much info on him... such a young guy to be acting boss and u.b but i know hardly anything of his personality and career.
Posted By: pmac

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/15/13 08:29 AM

this guy was a beast you ever read the wiretape were gotti is mad about lang(acting boss) and i think donnie shacks going to pauls white house and getting treated like crap. paul would watch them threw his videogate or somthing its out there. that lang guy is top 10 american mafia old dons alive. even if he never was boss that guys a legend and probaly still got say on the street like jimmy ida or bobby manna.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/15/13 09:23 AM

I´m sure Carmine Persico loves the guy. Langella is molded in the same form as Persico. Tough and ballsy. Langella had by age 24 been picked up as a prime suspect in a number of killings but never served any time for murder. During the second Gallo/Colombo war, Langella served as Alphonse Persico´s bodyguard. After the assassination of two honest business men in a Manhattan restaurant in 1972, newspapers speculated in who the actual intended targets were. According to NY Police Commissioner Patrick V. Murphy they were Alphonse Persico (Carmine´s brother), Alphonse Persico (Carmine´s son) and Gerry Langella. A fourth man was mentioned also as being part of this group but was never identified.

Langella was made in 1976, or 1977, made a captain not long afterwards, served as acting consigliere in 1980, made underboss in 1981, functioned as acting boss between 1981 and 1985 when he was indicted in the Commission case. (Carmine Persico was jailed 1981 to 1984, and fled another indictment in 1985.) In 1987, Langella was sentenced to 65 years in prison.

Here is a pretty rare photo of Langella, taken while being questioned by a police officer in a murder case in the early 1960s.

Description: Langella to the left
Attached picture 003.jpg

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/15/13 11:47 PM

pmac- do you really still think he carries any power currently? And has he any offspring coming up? Or already up?!

Hairy Knuckles what great info and picture! Shame this guy wasn't on the streets longer. Maybe would of given the Colombos some much needed stability and authority.
Posted By: SiciNy

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/16/13 12:13 AM

does Jimmy Ida still hold weight on the streets?
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/16/13 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Ciro
does Jimmy Ida still hold weight on the streets?

If he ever gets out i guess he will but at this point in his 70s with no foreseeable release date i doubt it.

http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderSer...p;x=47&y=18
Posted By: SiciNy

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/16/13 01:21 AM

yea Camarel hes prob gonna die in jail.
Posted By: Extortion

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/01/13 08:24 PM

What's up with this dudes mugshot? He has shit all over his face, is it acne in combo with patchy beard, hard to tell cause black and white
Posted By: domwoods74

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/01/13 08:48 PM

Langella was related to persico through marriage . As for jimmy Ida , he is gonna die in prison , he was a very powerful guy , Barney bellomo was scared stiff of him

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/02/13 11:45 AM

Does he have a skin disease?
Posted By: southend

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/02/13 02:46 PM

it's a beard. here's a picture of a much older Gerry Lang
Posted By: JoeP

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/02/13 04:05 PM

He has a son Vinny..lives on SI

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/02/13 05:25 PM

Really shitty beard then lol
Posted By: Louiebynochi

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/02/13 06:14 PM

His nephew Anthony stripoli is a Colombo soldier and a player and maybe even a caporegime
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/02/13 10:33 PM

Jimmy Ida doesn't have any say in that family. He was a pawn for Matty I. He was a killer, but he couldn't hold shit next to Barney.

Bobby manna yes,

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/16/13 08:09 PM

RIP jerry lang
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/16/13 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: domwoods74
RIP jerry lang

Is Jerry Lang dead?
Posted By: F_white

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/16/13 10:57 PM

RIP jerry lang

Is Jerry gone bye bye?
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 03:03 AM

Lang is still alive. I think Domwood74 is referring to the medical emergency at the prison in Missouri that Lang is at. Don't know if it was Lang that had the minor stroke or another mob guy, but the person is still alive. Or Domwood74 might be referring to Lang never getting out and dying in prison. Gennaro was one of the first one's made when the books opened back up in New York in the mid 1970's. There is a rumor that he was made when the books were closed, I don't believe that.

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 06:46 AM

Jerry lang has died at a medical facility in Kansas
Posted By: JCB1977

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 03:26 PM

No news articles or reports confirming his death.
Posted By: Snakes

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 03:43 PM

I figured Capeci would have said something on it, too, but nothing yet.

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 03:52 PM

I've not seen anything either , I heard this story from somebody claiming to be his cousin , not sure why he would have a reason to lie , but u never know
Posted By: ovation32

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 03:55 PM

This is very interesting: http://www.bop.gov/Locate/

Search Gennaro Langella . . . It says he was released 2 days ago

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 03:56 PM

Yeah prob in a body bag if he has died
Posted By: SonnyL

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 05:24 PM

That would make sense because the inmate locator lists deceased inmates as released

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 05:32 PM

It must be true then , I know he wasn't ever due for parole , if he was it wouldn't have been anytime soon
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SonnyL

That would make sense because the inmate locator lists deceased inmates as released

They recently changed their policy on that, up until a week or so ago they would say DECEASED on the site if a inmate died in custody.

I believe Domwoods is correct and Langella is probably dead. Last night the BOP site had him listed as
"In Transit". He was at the medical prison in Missouri. So he's either dead or he got a compassionate release so he could die at home.

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 05:48 PM

Personally i think it's stupid the BOP now lists guys as RELEASED when they die while serving out their sentence. Wonder why they decided to change the policy on that? They always would say DECEASED up until they changed the website recently.
Posted By: SonnyL

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
Personally i think it's stupid the BOP now lists guys as RELEASED when they die while serving out their sentence. Wonder why they decided to change the policy on that? They always would say DECEASED up until they changed the website recently.

Yeah I agree with you on that I don't understand the point of listing a dead person as released as opposed to deceased it doesn't make any sense.

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 05:54 PM

No neither do I , I've been looking for confirmation on the internet all day but nothing as yet

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/17/13 09:38 PM

Langella died on December 15th. A poster on the RD Forum found his obit.

http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary/819490/Langella-Gennaro-.php

Funeral Home :

http://colonialfuneralhomesi.com/book-of-memories/1752837/Langella-Gennaro-/service-details.php

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/18/13 07:53 AM

It's been confirmed on langella's wiki page he died on 15th December 2015 , no other articles on it yet though

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/18/13 07:59 AM

Jerry Capeci has got nothing on me , ha . I got the scoop before him , the robbing cocksucker . We will have to pay to read his article on the subject
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/18/13 09:26 AM

Yea wonder if Jerry's gonna mention the late Gus Sclafani in any articles this year. He's missed a few guys passing this yr alone

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/18/13 09:30 AM

Yeah he is not as on the ball as he used to be , to busy counting all the money in his bank skinny , from charging everyone to read his gangland news column

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/18/13 09:34 AM

Sclafani was the guy who passed on info to the gotti crew through his mother in law Mildred Russo

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/18/13 04:58 PM

It's been confirmed on langella's wiki page he died on 15th December 2015 , no other articles on it yet though

Confirmed? I posted the link to his obit and the funeral home. How much more confirmation do you need? lol

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/18/13 05:19 PM

Apart from yours Giancarlo ha ha , sorry pal

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/18/13 08:46 PM

Here's Langella's obit on silive.com today.

GENNARO LANGELLA.

LANGELLA Gennaro Langella on December 15, 2013. Beloved father of Vincent and Leah. Cherished grandfather of Anna Marie, Gennaro, Vincent and Leah. Loving great-grandfather of LeeAnna Fond brother of Vincent, Margaret, Antoinette, Jimmy, Raymond, Carmine and the late Anthony and Joseph. Reposing at Colonial Funeral Home, 2819 Hylan Blvd., corner of Tysens Lane. Mass Saturday 10:00 A.M. Our Lady of Peace Church, Brooklyn. Interment Greenwood Cemetery. Visiting hours Friday 2-4 and 7-9 P.M. www.colonialfuneralhomesi.com

http://obits.silive.com/obituaries/siadvance/obituary.aspx?pid=168621223

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/19/13 07:40 AM

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/12/convicted_mob_underboss_and_fo.html

Convicted mob boss and former Staten Islander Gennaro (Gerry Lang) Langella, 74, dead in federal prison hospital

Gennaro (Gerry Lang) Langella in his criminal heyday.

By Virginia N. Sherry
December 18, 2013

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Former Annadale resident Gennaro (Gerry Lang) Langella, 74, the convicted underboss in the Colombo crime family who was serving a 100-year prison sentence, died Sunday in the U.S. Medical Center for Prisons in Springfield, Missouri, a facility for federal inmates with chronic medical problems.

Langella was admitted to the medical center in December 2008, according to a spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, who declined to provide information about his medical condition and cause of death.

Langella was tried with seven others in a highly publicized case, known as the "Mafia Commission Trial," that started in September 1986 in Federal District Court in downtown Manhattan's Foley Square, at the time when former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani served as U.S. attorney.

Lead defendants in the trial included Anthony (Fat Tony) Salerno, 75, head of the Genovese crime family; Anthony (Tony Ducks) Corallo, head of the Luchese family, and Carmine (Junior) Persico, the Colombo family boss.

Citing Racketeer-Influence and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) conspiracy violations, prosecutors built a successful case that the defendants belonged to a "commission" that had handled Mafia business since the 1930s, encompassing everything from loan-sharking and extortion to murder.

The trial lasted 10 weeks, and all eight defendants were found guilty in November 1986.

The chief prosecutor, Michael Chertoff, said after the verdict that the eight were "directing the largest and most vicious criminal business in the history of the United States."

Then-U.S. Attorney Giuliani commented: "The verdict reached today has resulted in dismantling the ruling council of La Cosa Nostra."

At the sentencing hearing in January 1987, U.S. District Judge Richard Owen addressed each defendant, individually. He started with Salerno, but said that his words applied to the other seven men as well: "You, sir, in my opinion, essentially spent all your lifetime terrorizing this community to your financial gain."

Seven of the defendants, including Langella, received 100-year sentences in federal prison.

Langella had already been sentenced to 65 years in November 1986 in a separate racketeering case so the judge ruled that he could serve the sentences concurrently.

"I can't say it's the end of the commission," Giuliani said after the sentences were handed down. "But it makes it much more difficult to operate that kind of an operation."

Former New York Times investigative reporter and crime writer Selwyn Raab described Langella as "a ruthless arrogant loan shark and drug trafficker" in his critically acclaimed book, "Five Families: The Rise, Decline and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires."

Langella's speech "was peppered with expletives," Raab wrote. "He was considered a vain clotheshorse and unlike more contemporary Hollywood gangster attire he favored double-breasted blazers, sporty open collar shirts and wrap around sunglasses. He was a regular patron of the Casa Sorta restaurant in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, where he would hold meetings with associates".
Posted By: pmac

Re: Gennaro Langella - 12/19/13 05:51 PM

this funeral should be a whose who of the mafia big turnout of guys, must have tons of friends from his 30yrs in the fbi pen. or 1000 mob wives and daughters. snake will probably demand all Colombo family be there. he was only like 40 siting on the commission in 1980 till paul got killed. wonder if he really knew karate. I think for the mafia to get strong they should start going back to funerals screw the pics they all go to jail anyway. I read some guy in the Bronx, crea was there and tons of other made guys one guy got his bail revoked. they have to show unity I think. massino was the guy telling nno one 1 go to the funerals maybe that's the change.
Posted By: Feech_La_Manna85

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/24/14 08:48 PM

Langella was related to persico through marriage . As for jimmy Ida , he is gonna die in prison , he was a very powerful guy , Barney bellomo was scared stiff of him

Is there any truth to this? Its jus kinda hard to believe Barney was so scared of Ida. I kno he was a killer and all but still. Whered you hear this from? Thanks in advance

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/24/14 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Skinny
Jimmy Ida doesn't have any say in that family. He was a pawn for Matty I. He was a killer, but he couldn't hold shit next to Barney.

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/24/14 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Snakes
Originally Posted By: Skinny

yea I saw that...does that mean Dom just made up Barney fearing Ida??

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/24/14 11:16 PM

Nah, I think it was discussed in another thread that Ida was pissed at Barney for taking a plea while he ended up getting life and Dom just misunderstood the situation.

Re: Gennaro Langella - 01/25/14 12:37 AM

Oooh yea I remember that...thanx snakes
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Gennaro Langella - 05/16/14 07:20 PM

Langella seriously looks like a vagrant in that mugshot.

Does anyone have what the judge said to everyone individually after sentencing - like what he said to Salerno in a previous post?
Posted By: Philip_Lombardo

Re: Gennaro Langella - 05/17/14 05:59 PM

Is his son still active in the family cause Wikipedia lists him as a soldier how old is he?
Posted By: Philip_Lombardo

Re: Gennaro Langella - 05/19/14 09:52 AM

Dear god are we never supposed to mention Vincent Langella? cause every time I ask a question about him everybody seems to take a vow of silence a simple 'I don't know' will do
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET