Posted By: Benny_Eggs

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 11:03 AM

never heard of him
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 11:11 AM

Gotti try usin the search button and you can find a lot of info...and welcome
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 11:19 AM

we must have tons of topics about fat tony....
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 11:37 AM

Here's a thread about him - http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...true#Post686502

Use the search function next time smile.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Gotti
Does anyone know much about this guy? and did people call him Fat Tony to his face?

I´m not sure exactly what you are looking for. But his FBI files, in 9 parts consists of investigative files between 1956 and 1966. Sadly they stop there. As of his nickname, nobody called him Fat Tony to his face.

Not meaning to fuel the deabate on here about Salerno was the boss or not, but note what the FBI say now about his status in the Mafia. "Anthony “Fat Tony” Salerno (1911-1992) was a member of the Vito Genovese La Cosa Nostra organized crime family." Not that he was the boss.

Gotti, go here

http://vault.fbi.gov/anthony-salerno/

click on any of the 9 parts, click on the pdf symbol located right beneath the actual file and start reading. The files may be somewhat monotonic to read, but you will find some good stuff in there.

Salerno was sentenced to 3 years imprisonment in 1978 on gambling and tax evasion charges. But I think he only served 6 months.
He had the misfortune to be convicted in the Commission case in 1986 while still indicted in another racketeering case. He was found guilty of those charges as well. So after been sentenced to 100 years in the Commission case, he was also (in 1988) sentenced to 70 years stemming from the second indictment.
Of all the defendants in the Commission trial, Salerno seemed oblivious to any strategies to fight. During his trial, he spent his free time during recesses munching away on chocolate bars. Once while awaiting the jury to return from lunch, a member of the prosecution team, in a friendly moment, offered Salerno a granola bar. "Better than all that chocolate you´re eating". Salerno waved the granola bar away and said "Who the fuck cares? I´m gonna die in the fucking can anyway".
Posted By: Gotti

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 12:36 PM

Thanks guys. I did try searching and it came up a debate about Salerno vs Gigante but most of the replies were off topic.

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 12:37 PM

I’m not sure if it is mentioned but was Fat Tony a nickname people used behind his back?
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 01:38 PM

I’m not sure if it is mentioned but was Fat Tony a nickname people used behind his back?

Yeah it was Hairy said that in his reply.

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 01:57 PM

Whoops, missed that post. Thanks Hairy, much appreciated. smile
Posted By: gamms

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 02:17 PM

dont forget farting and sleeping.lol.
Posted By: Mark

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/13/13 02:19 PM

Was he a good boss?
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: Tony Salerno - 01/14/13 01:12 AM

This thread is just asking for another fight lol
Posted By: Vigil

Re: Tony Salerno - 02/16/13 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
This thread is just asking for another fight lol
Hahahaa! Oh no...
Posted By: southend

Re: Tony Salerno - 02/17/13 01:35 PM

Thanks guys. I did try searching and it came up a debate about Salerno vs Gigante but most of the replies were off topic.

You will see that a lot here
Posted By: azguy

Re: Tony Salerno - 02/17/13 05:22 PM

I think we love Tony because of the look, classic gangster with the hat and cigar and constant scowl....at least I do...
Posted By: SilentPartnerz

Re: Tony Salerno - 02/18/13 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: azguy
I think we love Tony because of the look, classic gangster with the hat and cigar and constant scowl....at least I do...

I never thought of him from this point of view, but now that you mention it, his appearance was right "out of central casting" as they always say. My favorite memory of the guy is when he growled at the reporters and swung his cane while doing the perp walk. If you recall the taped discussions from the Palma Boys social club, he seems to have represented power. Angelo Lonardo, Peanuts Tronolone, Scarfo, the Buffalo guys- all getting his blessing for one thing or another. Seems like the Genovese had oversight over several families. Along with Gigante, he was very powerful.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET