Home

New article on Buffalo

Posted By: IvyLeague

New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 12:41 AM

(There's also pictures at the link below)

Who will lead now that Todaro, Nicoletti gone?
Mike Hudson, Niagra Falls Reporter
January 8, 2013

With the ground covering Joe Todaro and Sonny Nicoletti still fresh, both law enforcement and the legion of mafia buffs who make their home in Western New York have busied themselves trying to figure out who might next head up the tattered remains of the once formidable Magaddino crime family.

I’ve been covering organized crime in Buffalo for the better part of 15 years. There are some great stories, lots of colorful characters and some genuinely decent people who have been negatively affected by this kind of speculation.

Personally, I don’t get it. Because what nobody has been asking is “why anyone would want to be the head of the Buffalo mob?”

Even the most optimistic observers say the old Magaddino outfit has but 20 made guys left at most, and the majority of them have long since qualified for Social Security.

The formerly subservient Utica and Hamilton, Ont., crews have their own problems, with alleged Utica crime lord Russ Carcone still reeling from a 2000 shoplifting bust and the Canadian crew as dead as charity since the assassination of John “Johnny Pops” Papaglia in 1997.

Given all the agita that goes along with being a mob boss in a third-rate American city, is it really worth becoming a target both for law enforcement and any two-bit wannabe punk looking to make a name for himself?

Just ask the highly respected Papaglia, whose storied career ended when he got shot in the back of the head by a bumbling Irish alcoholic named Ken Murdoch who took the contract for just $2,000 and 40 grams of cocaine.

Even Todaro, who the FBI claims was the last official don of the Buffalo family, reportedly gave up his position in 2006 in order to spend more time with his family and enjoy the fruits of the lucrative La Nova pizza business he founded decades earlier.

The leading contender for the top spot, Frank “Butchie Bifocals” BiFulco, was alleged to have been a feared enforcer and a capo in the Magaddino organization going back to the 1960s. But he’s currently indisposed, serving a 10-year, 10-month stretch in Club Fed for the 2001 torching of a leased Nissan in the parking lot of Walden Galleria.

According to the FBI, Leonard “The Calzone” Falzone took over as acting boss of the family when Todaro stepped down in 2006, after years of serving as an enforcer, hit man and finally a capo in the organization. Falzone has of course denied this.
Still, the feds say Falzone was ultimately named consigliere to the Buffalo family in 1987.

Aside from a misdemeanor conviction for possession of stolen property in 1971, Falzone had never been in trouble with the law until the mid-1990s, when a federal investigation of Laborers Local 210 in Buffalo put him in the spotlight. Falzone was then an administrator of the local’s $80 million pension fund, and he became a huge target for the investigators.

At the time, Buffalo crime circles were lousy with paid informants, stool pigeons and squealers of every stripe. And it didn’t take the feds long to put together a case based on the allegations of these disreputable individuals.

The RICO and RICO conspiracy charges set forth in Falzone’s indictment covered a period of time from approximately September, 1985 through August, 1989, during which Falzone was alleged to have engaged in the business of loansharking - charging extremely high interest rates on loaned money.

In 1995, Salvatore "Sammy" Spano told a federal jury he needed Falzone's protection and approval to establish a loansharking operation in Las Vegas. His testimony was the latest piece in the case federal prosecutors were trying to build against Falzone, who stood accused of being a renowned mob enforcer who escaped numerous investigations without a conviction.

"I asked him (Falzone) if I could move to Vegas and if I could use his name while out in Vegas," Spano said on the witness stand. Also testifying against Falzone were the contemptible Ron Fino and Ronald "Ronnie" Raccuia, a degenerate gambler and onetime Buffalo Common Council Chief of Staff.

Falzone was tried in the local media as well. Following his conviction, the Buffalo News editorialists felt vindicated. "Over the years, Falzone had developed a reputation among some as untouchable,” an unsigned editorial read. “No more. This felony conviction cracks his slick reputation for invincibility."

The other name currently being batted about as a possible successor to Todaro is that of successful businessman Bobby Panaro, a Las Vegas area resident for the past four decades who spends some time in Buffalo.

Like Falzone, Panaro was also ousted from Laborers Local 210 for allegedly associating with organized crime figures. At age 57, he was sentenced in 1999 by U.S. District Judge Philip Pro to 7-1/2 years in prison for conspiring to extort longtime mob associate Herbert "Fat Herbie" Blitzstein, who was slain in January 1997.

At the time, Panaro was running an auto dealership known as Good Fellows. "They're giving me 7 1/2 years," he told reporters following his conviction. "For what? What did I do?"

A jury acquitted Panaro of all charges related to the Blitzstein slaying, but the four-week trial left him branded a "mafia soldier." "I'm no mob soldier," he said. "I never have been. I never would be."

Federal prosecutors had accused Panaro and Steve “The Whale” Cino of authorizing the Blitzstein killing as part of a plot to take over the victim's business activities in Las Vegas.

At the trial, prosecutors described Panaro as a member of the Buffalo family and Cino as a member of the Los Angeles mob. "Because I'm Italian?" Panaro asked. "Get out of here."

There are people in law enforcement, perhaps, whose jobs depend on whether or not there is a mafia, a “Cosa Nostra,” organized crime, or whatever you want to call it, in the city of Buffalo, New York.

And there are other people, lots of them, who study mob politics and machinations in the same way that Civil War buffs examine Sherman’s March to the Sea.

But if you ask me, I think Leonard Falzone and Bobby Panaro need to be head of the Buffalo crew like they need another hole in the head.

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/Stories/2013/Jan8/TodaroNicoletti.html
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 12:48 AM

Interesting, Ivy. I'm glad the author called the Hamilton, Ontario crew formerly subservient.

For the most part, those guys on the other side of the Canadian border aren't even listening to the New York City families anymore. They sure as fuck aren't gonna take any shit from a bunch of old men in Buffalo.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 12:49 AM

Oh, and it speaks volumes that Todaro gave up being Don Corleone to make pizzas wink.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Interesting, Ivy. I'm glad the author called the Hamilton, Ontario crew formerly subservient.

For the most part, those guys on the other side of the Canadian border aren't even listening to the New York City families anymore. They sure as fuck aren't gonna take any shit from a bunch of old men in Buffalo.

I think it's more likely "formerly subservient" mean things have simply dried up there in the way of American LCN operations. I'm not really sure if there is anything left in Hamilton to break away from whatever family is left in Buffalo.
Posted By: Scalish

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 01:47 AM

I am from Hamilton and the mob in itself is no where near what it was but the few things going on and there is still some activity but most of these guys have a lot of legit income from clubs to bakery's and bar's, construction companies.

All in all though it is not the sicilians who really control things here the calabrese do.

I also have mentioned on this site before that Bobby Panaro was made and I was told no but I don't think he would be mentioned or considered for anything if he wasn't.
Posted By: Ivan

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 04:06 AM

Oh, and it speaks volumes that Todaro gave up being Don Corleone to make pizzas wink.

He got assimilated into the mainstream American business world. And given that it's the most successful independent pizzeria in the country, and that he was about a thousand years old when he stepped down, he'd have to have been nuts not to.

That sort of thing is what's really killing off the mob, not RICO and rats.

Interesting that the article doesn't mention Todaro Jr.'s crimes or made-guy status. I've heard he has a habit of Googling himself and then threatening to sue anyone he finds calling him a gangster. No idea if that's actually true though.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:49 AM

Be careful he might sue you lol.
Posted By: stern49

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 12:59 PM

Scalish, now this is where I wholeheartedly agree with you bud. I'm originally from Buffalo and went to school with some gangster wannabe sons and grandkids of mob guys there. My good friend and a member of the Sinatra Society in Vegas is the one who helped me with the chart I made, and he happens to know the author of the book written on Buffalo. You're right on Panaro for sure. There's no way he wasn't made an official member of Buffalo's Mob Family.

Save the "yeah right" stuff people, I know who you are, but wasn't trying to say I knew people, or that I'm connected in any way, just simply that I went to grade school and high school with people who were related to some Buffalo hoods.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 01:09 PM

Stern,

I beleive you bro i never doubt anyone who has not given me reason to doubt before.

I know you know your shit on Buffalo and I like discussing it with you.

As far as going to school with some of these fellas or people related to them I am from Hamilton and went to school with some of these guys and actually still keep contact with a certain few.

These people are regular people they go to school church malls just like we do.

Keep up the good chat stern.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 01:11 PM

P.S

I am just tired of people telling me no such and such is not made.

Bobby Panaro has been around along time and was also brother in law of Todaro you know he was made just like Gerace who is the son in law of Todaro.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 01:14 PM

Yeah, some of these people on boards tend to think going to school with a gangsters son is like going to school with a presidents son. LOL! Funny but so true!!! It's hard to understand some folks at times, that's all. But, you're absolutely right and a cool person. Thanks bud.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 01:17 PM

Agreed! Like Hudson said, "there's 20 made guys in the Buffalo outfit." So, there's still a lot of guys and all twenty I put up on my chart.

Muk is in the process of making a picture chart on Buffalo, which shall be very interesting to see.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 01:36 PM

I agree bro if you want PM me and maybe we can put something together crews and all even though there ain't much.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Ivan

He got assimilated into the mainstream American business world. And given that it's the most successful independent pizzeria in the country, and that he was about a thousand years old when he stepped down, he'd have to have been nuts not to.

Exactly my point, Ivan smile.
Posted By: azguy

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 03:43 PM

when they say Todaro stepped down, don't they mean the son..?? He wasn't that old, like late 50's I think...

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 03:50 PM

Todaro Jr is currently 69 years old when he stepped down was in 06 which he would have been 62 or 63 years old.

And to be honest he stepped down but still holds all the power in Buffalo.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 04:13 PM

Todaro, Jr. still holds a tremendous amount of power. His pizza is fantastic, as well. They do need to get rid of a guy that works there. Last time I went he was very rude, not Todaro, Jr., though. I've only seen him once there, but didn't want to just walk up to him, because I'm sure he gets enough people going over there to try to get a glimpse of The Godfather, and I'm sure he knows the type. Didn't want him thinking I was one of them. It would be like going to Enzo's Pizzeria in L.A. just to meet Lenny Montana, who actually was made, too.
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Scalish
I am from Hamilton and the mob in itself is no where near what it was but the few things going on and there is still some activity but most of these guys have a lot of legit income from clubs to bakery's and bar's, construction companies.

All in all though it is not the sicilians who really control things here the calabrese do.

I also have mentioned on this site before that Bobby Panaro was made and I was told no but I don't think he would be mentioned or considered for anything if he wasn't.

Yup, 'Ndrangheta took over.
Posted By: gamms

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: stern49
Todaro, Jr. still holds a tremendous amount of power. His pizza is fantastic, as well. They do need to get rid of a guy that works there. Last time I went he was very rude, not Todaro, Jr., though. I've only seen him once there, but didn't want to just walk up to him, because I'm sure he gets enough people going over there to try to get a glimpse of The Godfather, and I'm sure he knows the type. Didn't want him thinking I was one of them. It would be like going to Enzo's Pizzeria in L.A. just to meet Lenny Montana, who actually was made, too.

lol.they are just people like you and i.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 09:26 PM

Who are reguler people, the fools that want to get their pic taken with a goodfella, or the mob guys themselves? If It's the later, not true, they aren't regular guys.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 09:39 PM

a guy who is made isnt different from average joe.they are business owners,managers, super visors, drug dealers,bookies. just guys. the only difference is they have had there 'fingers pricked'. so what?ever been in/around a gang? its the same thing.they are still people.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:09 PM

I'm sure he gets enough people going over there to try to get a glimpse of The Godfather, and I'm sure he knows the type.

I've personally done this to the poor guy. He wasn't able to spot and avoid me. grin

The funniest part of that whole episode was that my mother was with me, and on the way there she kept flipping out over all the "scary black people" who were probably just ordinary guys walking down the street, but she had no misgivings whatsoever interacting with a man who had been specifically identified by the FBI as a Cosa Nostra underboss. lol

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:13 PM

How is the pizza there anyways?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:30 PM

Agreed! Like Hudson said, "there's 20 made guys in the Buffalo outfit." So, there's still a lot of guys and all twenty I put up on my chart.

Muk is in the process of making a picture chart on Buffalo, which shall be very interesting to see.

That's 20 total made guys, of course. Not how many are active. As I've mentioned before, not a lot of mob activity up there in recent years. At least what would be indicative of a well organized, cohesive family. Most of the busts seem to have been one guy here, or a couple there, doing their own thing.

Originally Posted By: azguy
when they say Todaro stepped down, don't they mean the son..?? He wasn't that old, like late 50's I think...

They're talking about Todaro Sr., who recently died.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Scalish
How is the pizza there anyways?

It's decent but I don't see what the big deal is. Imagine a very high quality version of chain pizzeria pizzas like those from Domino's or Pizza Hut and you get the general idea.

Though I think much of the restaurant's success is driven by the wing business; I didn't try the wings there.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:33 PM

Well, forgive me, Ivan. I don't want to sound like a food snob. But Buffalo ain't exactly the pizza capital of the USA. Doesn't their success have a little bit to do with that?
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:36 PM

Chicago is the pizza capital smile

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:37 PM

get out of here!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:38 PM

I'm heavily outnumbered, but it's true. Help me out Mark!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1

Look, I don't even want to have this argument. That Chicago deep dish is some delicious stuff. I'm not arguing that fact. I really like it when I visit Chicago. But it's not traditional pizza. It doesn't even resemble anything you'd get in Italy. So on that basis, it's the Northeast that puts out pies that are more on par with what you'd find in Rome or Naples.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:46 PM

Look, I don't even want to have this argument. That Chicago deep dish is some delicious stuff. I'm not arguing that fact. I really like it when I visit Chicago. But it's not traditional pizza. It doesn't even resemble anything you'd get in Italy. So on that basis, it's the Northeast that puts out pies that are more on par with what you'd find in Rome or Naples.

Yet in Naples Florida you'd be lucky to find one Pizza Place...they have Tommy Bahama's Restaurant...

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:50 PM

Years ago there was this chain out here in Utah called "Peter Piper Pizza." Great stuff! grin

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/10/13 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Years ago there was this chain out here in Utah called "Peter Piper Pizza." Great stuff! grin

Get the fuck out of here with that lol.

I guess that's what I get for breaking your balls with the Jennifer Lopez post the other night lol.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/11/13 12:13 AM

We have some good independent pizza joints out here in Canada as well.
Posted By: TommyGambino

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/11/13 12:18 AM

Is there a large Italian presence in Buffalo?
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/11/13 12:25 AM

Your never Gunna beat a NYC Pizza Margarita , forget about it

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/11/13 07:38 AM

Wait a second... Ivy lives in Utah, he should be covering the Mormons, not the Mobsters, lol. Ha..

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/11/13 08:15 AM

Wait a second... Ivy lives in Utah, he should be covering the Mormons, not the Mobsters, lol. Ha..

Never heard that one before. wink
Posted By: SharpieOne

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/11/13 07:39 PM

So what's your go-to spot for pie in Throgs Neck. Lot's of good choices. I'm a Bronx guy and my favorite place closed.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/11/13 08:19 PM

Never heard that one before. wink

See, I told you, SC.... Ivy knows that It's all fun and games. He's all right!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 02:51 AM

Well, forgive me, Ivan. I don't want to sound like a food snob. But Buffalo ain't exactly the pizza capital of the USA. Doesn't their success have a little bit to do with that?

Probably. They sell their wings nationwide, but not the pizzas.

I seriously doubt that it's even the best pizzeria in the Buffalo area, which has a substantial Italian-American population. If La Nova is the "best" there than they're setting the bar a bit low. It's better than Papa John's and shit like that, but it's noticeably inferior to the best independent pizzerias anywhere. I've had better even in Columbus, a town has about as many Italians as the moon.

And I have little doubt that being the nerve center of a mafia family was helpful back when that family was powerful (which it was up through the late 90s or so).

Originally Posted By: TommyGambino

Yeah there's a lot of them, but I think they are all out in the suburbs now, with very few remaining in the core city (can't say I blame them).
Posted By: TonyBoy117

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: SharpieOne

So what's your go-to spot for pie in Throgs Neck. Lot's of good choices. I'm a Bronx guy and my favorite place closed.
Louie and Ernie's is great but that's not really Throggs Neck anymore it's north a bit on Crosby
Posted By: SharpieOne

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: TonyBoy117

Louie and Ernie's is great but that's not really Throggs Neck anymore it's north a bit on Crosby

We can expand the search to Throgs Neck area. I used to go to a place in Country Club but it closed and is now under new owners and isn't as good. Villa Barone across from the Pelham stop is good, but I feel I go there for the Heineken more than the Pizza!

Louie and Ernie's is great but not something I can get every week. A little pricey and the cheese is great, but sort of a delicacy in that it's so heavy!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 03:20 PM

I sent you a pm, SharpieOne. Just click on the red and white flashing icon up top.

But yeah, Tony the Kid is right. It's Louie and Ernie's, hands down, even though that's technically Pelham Bay. Their white clam pie actually cures impotence. I've, uhm, heard whistle.
Posted By: tommykarate

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 03:34 PM

We have 2great pizza places here run by guys from jersey.Scottish was great closed down now.and fresco is my buddy phils place.its funny him and his fam speak italian so dam fast it sounds like gibberish its crazy.ask him about the mafia and he always says there's no such thing lol

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 03:41 PM

Where do you live, Tommy?
Posted By: tt120

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 06:32 PM

Lot of pizza talk - that's my kind of language. I can talk pizza all day lol. I'm very familiar with Buffalo and Rochester areas, have family up there, and the pizza is great. There are a ton of Italians in those areas and a ton of mom & pop pizza joints and red checkerboard restaurants that in my opinion, can rival NYC places. I heard from some Rochester residents that they have more pizza places there per capita than anywhere else in the country. The pizza up there is not like Chicago Deep Dish - its more like NYC pizza just slightly thicker. It's all personal preference at the end of the day.

I agree with pizzaboy (no pun intended) that Chicago style isn't, in my opinion, really considered pizza. They have something similar upstate in Utica called "tomato pie" - they're like Sicilian style squares with very sweet sauce and no mozz - just grated Romano. That's very good too, especially cold.

In NYC I prefer the original Patsy's, Gino's on E. 83rd, and Totonnos. The relatively new place Artichoke is great too; guys from Staten Island started it on E.14th like 5 years ago and now they have 3 locations. All of the locations got lines out the door no matter what time of day. It's great. Nothing beats original Patsy's on 118th though. Still can get a large for $11.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: tt120
Nothing beats original Patsy's on 118th though.

You can say that again. I pretty much grew up in that place smile.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 10:58 PM

I second the opinions that Chicago style isn't a "real" pizza pie.

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a pizza pie. Pizza cake, maybe.
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/12/13 11:07 PM

munchies, best pizza, by vice...

Posted By: bigboy

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/15/13 12:29 AM

If you want to read about the Buffalo NY mafia, the Buffalo Police has a site called Buffalo police then and now. Go to:
bpdthenandnow.com and go to the Mob section. There is some good info on there and crime stories.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 02/17/13 05:49 PM

Buffalo does not have tons of great entertainment such as theatres Etc like NYC or Chicago so when folks in Buffalo go out, they likely go out to eat. There is a heavy Italian population there and they are demanding, so as a result, the eateries in Buffalo are as good or better than most big cities. I have eaten at LaNova man times and their food is fantastic, but they have a ton of competition in the area. I would put Buffalo's pizza up against NYC or Chicago any time

Re: New article on Buffalo - 02/18/13 06:10 AM

Buffalo can't compete with Chicago and NYC pizza
Posted By: carbuckelew

Re: New article on Buffalo - 03/05/13 04:52 PM

has the contruction industry cleaned up in WNY?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 03/05/13 10:55 PM

Pretty much.
Posted By: SnickersMagillicutti

Re: New article on Buffalo - 03/05/13 11:08 PM

Just because the deep dish pizza is a Chicago creation, there are plenty of pizza joints in Chicago that serve pizza the way they do it back in Italy. I travel quite a bit and when I'm in Chicago I go here.......

http://pizzeriadanella.com/home

Re: New article on Buffalo - 03/06/13 03:17 AM

Mob Has Colorful History
By Mike Hudson
March 5, 2013

The history of the Buffalo mob is replete with colorful characters: stool pigeons and stand up guys, goodfellas and goombahs, hitmen and high rollers.

With the deaths in recent months of reputed organized crime kingpins Joe Todaro and Sonny Nicoletti, the very future of the outfit known from New York to Las Vegas as “the Arm” would seem to be in doubt, but a legion of mob buffs – students and aficionados not unlike those preoccupied with the minutiae of the American Civil War – guarantee that the legacy of our own private mafia will continue well into the future.

While any discussion of the topic locally must necessarily begin and end with the man most responsible for it, Stefano Magaddino – a stone killer and astute businessman who liked to eliminate competition before it even became competition – there have been plenty of others who added their own pinches of zest and spice to the cacciatore we’ve come to know and love.

Moe Dalitz was born in Boston but became a member of the “Cleveland Syndicate” during the Prohibition years and formed what was known as the “Little Jewish Navy” to ferry brand name booze across Lake Erie for consumption by thirsty consumers in Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo.

His Hebrew heritage gave him a natural in with guys like Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky, and soon he was partnering with Magaddino to offload Sam Bronfman’s Seagram’s products at obscure docks and quays from Youngstown to Silver Lake.

Dalitz used his bootlegging profits to open several nightclubs in Cleveland, and was the first to hire a young man by the name of Lew Wasserman, who would later become the impresario in charge of the Hollywood mega media conglomerate MCA.

His show business connections provided the basis for Dalitz to invest in Las Vegas during its formative years, and he variously owned the Desert Inn and the Stardust Resort & Casino while building the Las Vegas Country Club and the Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center.

Like his old friend Magaddino, Dalitz died peacefully of natural causes – in Las Vegas in 1989. He was mourned by the likes of Barbara Walters, Sen. Harry Reid, Suzanne Somers, Wayne Newton, Buddy Hackett and Frank Sinatra, who Dalitz always claimed to have given his first big break in show business.

Another Clevelander with Buffalo connections was Aladena “Jimmy the Weasel” Fratianno, who turned government informant after being charged in the murder of Irish crime lord Danny Greene. Fratianno had briefly headed up the Los Angeles mob, working with the Magaddino family overseeing its Las Vegas interests.

“I don’t let stress bother me,” he said following an assassination attempt in 1987. “I think that’s very important in a man’s life, in anybody’s life. Stress will age you quicker than anything. And I just try to take it easy.”

Another Buffalo rat who became as well-known as his more upstanding colleagues was Ron Fino, who turned rat in 1969 at the tender age of 23. The son of crime boss Joe Fino – who also served as business manager for Laborers Local 210 in Buffalo – Ron Fino liked the shadowy world of undercover operations so much he began working for the CIA, running undercover stings against the Russian mafia, befriending Soviet oligarch Vladimir Putin and finally working in the Middle East, tracking down al Qaeda terrorists.

The newspapers called Frank “Butchie Bifocals” BiFulco the “Renaissance Man” of Buffalo’s organized crime family – alluding to his reputation as an inventor, entrepreneur and accomplished chess player. But the FBI alleged BiFulco to be a hardened killer, a capo in the Magaddino organization and a prime target of its organized crime task force.

BiFulco, now 68, was sentenced in 2003 to 10 years and 10 months in federal prison for doing a favor for a friend of a friend — setting fire to a leased car two summers earlier.

The sentence — 10 years of which was mandatory under a federal law forbidding the use of arson in criminal schemes — angered friends and supporters.

His attorney, Anthony J. Lana, said BiFulco was unfairly targeted by FBI agents and federal prosecutors who — in Lana’s view — were frustrated by their inability to convict him in previous cases.

Jurors convicted BiFulco of helping Betty Tata torch her leased 1998 Nissan Altima in August 2001 in the parking lot of the Walden Galleria Mall, apparently unaware of the video surveillance cameras now deployed in the parking lots of trendy malls and convenience stores nationwide.

According to the feds, BiFulco was a capo and overseer of Buffalo’s West Side and the labor and union rackets for the Magaddino family.

The feds tried to charge him with everything from ordering the murder of a low level drug dealer who might or might not have been involved in the killing of BiFulco’s step-son, Carmen Gallo, to involvement in penny ante-telemarketing fraud.

Later, law enforcement attempted to convict BiFulco on assault charges stemming from an argument he had with his wife, Cecilia “Sisi” BiFulco, over the death of her son.

BiFulco must be added to the FBI’s reputed mix that already includes Leonard Falzone and Bobby Panaro as possible future Buffalo kingpins.

But kingpins of what, exactly? When Magaddino died in 1974, there was still something worth arguing about. Between his death and Todaro’s reported emergence as boss a decade later, the FBI says 15 mob members and associates were clipped.

But that was long before Native American casino gambling, widespread off-track betting and the emergence of Black and Hispanic dope dealers robbed “the Arm” of many of its most lucrative profit centers.

The days when a guy like John Montana could serve as the Magaddino family’s consigliore, run the largest fleet of taxicabs in Western New York and hold a senior elected position on Buffalo’s Common Council are over.

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/Stories/2013/Mar5/MobHistory.html
Posted By: carbuckelew

Re: New article on Buffalo - 03/06/13 08:04 PM

I remember the telemarketer scams on Hertel in 1980's. Did anyone ever get convicted for that?
Posted By: frankg2469

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/07/13 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: TommyGambino

Yes,as well as Niagara Falls,Toronto,and in the entirety of the Niagara Peninsula,which lies between Buffalo and Toronto.
Posted By: Thaddeus

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/07/13 09:20 AM

If you're ever in Rhode island you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't go to Casertas pizza. I've lived in 9 states, traveled extensively and was stationed in Italy for two years and i swear Casertas is the best pizza I've ever had.
Posted By: JCB1977

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/07/13 03:35 PM

Agreed!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/07/13 03:42 PM

Youngstown, OH (my hometown) has an amazing pizza as well, quite a few independent pizza parlors that have been in business at least 50 years.

1. St. Anthony's Brier Hill Style Pizza
2. La Villa Sports Bar & Pizzeria
3. Belleria Pizzeria
4. Fernando's Wedgewood Pizza
5. Avalon Garden
6. Bruno Brothers Pizza
7. Cornersburg Pizza
8. LaRocca's Pizza
9. Tangier's Pizza
10. Elmton Pizza
Posted By: Friend_of_Henry

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/07/13 05:37 PM

Avalon Garden - No More ;-(

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/07/13 10:20 PM

I understood that Falzone was head of the Buffalo family. I actually had lunch with him a couple times as he was best friends of a relative although he wouldn't remember me now as that was a long time ago. I also understood that he was a prime suspect in the ambush- murder of Frank D'Angelo a HS friend of mine who was a master burglar who refused to join the mob or share his money with the mob. Yes Buffalo has a large Italian population however it now has mostly disbursed from the West side to the suburbs. The last time I was up there 4 years ago I took a tour of the west side and was disappointed. It was decrepid and was being taken over by blacks and puerto Ricans. It was a cool place in the 50's, 60's and 70's but now you have buildings torn down or boarded up. What a shame
Posted By: Faithful1

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/08/13 01:06 AM

I'm in So. Cal., but after having eaten in New York and Chicago, I like Chicago-style much better. Never cared for the thin crust pizzas. Thick and calorie-laden is the way to go!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/13/13 09:59 PM

One minor tidbit I forgot to mention is that Jay Leno is a big fan of LaNovva Pizza.
Posted By: TheArm

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/14/13 03:38 PM

All I can say is that this article got a lot right but some important things wrong;
First,,,,double the made guy count. The rumors of the families demise have been highly over stated
Second...Be careful when calling the Canadian and Utica crews "formally subservient", they are still very much Buffalo cities and Buffalo crews. I know this first hand because I did battle in the 80s and early 90s to keep them that way.
Interesting you mention Russ Carcone. Russ had one of the shortest tenures as acting skipper in the history of the LCN, he was way over his head and even he and his Dad(may he rest in peace) knew it.
As for Canada, it's centered Hamilton today is run by a capo and a street boss (they will both remain nameless as their names are not common knowledge)who both report directly to Falzone.
In Syracuse and Rochester it's business as usual. The A-B-C wars are long forgotten and although I still chuckle when I see reports of a "Rochester family", make no mistake, it belongs to Buffalo.
The Arm's Florida and Vegas activity is seldom mentioned, but I will save that for it's own thread.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/14/13 06:13 PM

The Valenti brothers were both made in Pittsburgh under John LaRocca and had LaRocca's support to start their own operations in Rochester. While Buffalo oversaw the Valenti's, LaRocca got a piece of the illegal gambling and prostitution action as well.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/14/13 06:14 PM

Avalon Garden just reopened downtown on Federal St...and guess who's running it...Michael Sabella
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/14/13 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB1977
Avalon Garden just reopened downtown on Federal St...and guess who's running it...Michael Sabella

the former bonnano captain?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/14/13 06:25 PM

LOL...no...I was responding to Friend of Henry regarding a pizza joint in Youngstown. Michael Sabella from Youngstown was a bookmaker who wore a wire so the Feds could nab Mike "Cyrak" Serrecchio, who was Youngstown's largest numbers operator and sports bookmaker for decades. Sabella used to own Aulisio's Fish Market, and he now bought a Youngstown born and bred pizza joint that is known for its "Brier Hill" style pizza, which is where a majority of the Italians settled in Youngstown. Sorry about the confusion.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/14/13 06:26 PM

I've eaten La Nova Pizza a few dozen times and the pizza is "okay." Their wings are fantastic, pizza is too doughy. Most people are fascinated with it because of the Todaro family.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/14/13 06:38 PM

Ah, interesting. Thanks for explaining
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/14/13 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: TheArm
All I can say is that this article got a lot right but some important things wrong;
First,,,,double the made guy count. The rumors of the families demise have been highly over stated
Second...Be careful when calling the Canadian and Utica crews "formally subservient", they are still very much Buffalo cities and Buffalo crews. I know this first hand because I did battle in the 80s and early 90s to keep them that way.
Interesting you mention Russ Carcone. Russ had one of the shortest tenures as acting skipper in the history of the LCN, he was way over his head and even he and his Dad(may he rest in peace) knew it.
As for Canada, it's centered Hamilton today is run by a capo and a street boss (they will both remain nameless as their names are not common knowledge)who both report directly to Falzone.
In Syracuse and Rochester it's business as usual. The A-B-C wars are long forgotten and although I still chuckle when I see reports of a "Rochester family", make no mistake, it belongs to Buffalo.
The Arm's Florida and Vegas activity is seldom mentioned, but I will save that for it's own thread.

Are you out of your mind? How the fuck would you know any of this? You did battle in the 80s and 90s? And I'm the fuckin emperor of Japan

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/15/13 01:49 AM

I've eaten La Nova Pizza a few dozen times and the pizza is "okay." Their wings are fantastic, pizza is too doughy. Most people are fascinated with it because of the Todaro family.
LaNova Pizza is good, but it is definitely not the best in Buffalo. His subs and wings are excellent and the place is always "Mobbed" no pun intended.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/26/13 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Are you out of your mind? How the fuck would you know any of this? You did battle in the 80s and 90s? And I'm the fuckin emperor of Japan

I would know this becuse I was THERE son....you should listen and you might learn something
Posted By: LaLouisiane

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/26/13 04:51 PM

You did battle? Battle of the DJ's? Battle Reenactments? Please elaboraate?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/26/13 08:26 PM

I would know this becuse I was THERE son....you should listen and you might learn something

Please seek professional help.
Posted By: Mmalioni

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/26/13 09:13 PM

There is absolutely no Buffalo activity in Las Vegas. There is a slight Chicago Outfit crew in Las Vegas, if one could even call it that. There are several guys associated with Patriarcha and the Gambinos in Las Vegas as well.

The last Buffalo activity in Las Vegas was in the late 1990s with Panaro and the Los Angeles Crime Family.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: LaLouisiane

If you and Ivy there are not aware of what went on in Upstate NY between the Buffalo and Colombo families as a side result of the A-B-C wars in Rochester,Syracuse and Utica in the 70s and 80s, including the body count (Both Grillos, Marrone,Deblassi,Manassi,Faliciano,Dequeno,etc) and the near misses(Berg, Brindisi, Bretti, Nappi, DeAmico, Cuda, etc) I sugest you do a LOT more listening and research and a lot less talking.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 01:47 PM

If you and Ivy there are not aware of what went on in Upstate NY between the Buffalo and Colombo families as a side result of the A-B-C wars in Rochester,Syracuse and Utica in the 70s and 80s, including the body count (Both Grillos, Marrone,Deblassi,Manassi,Faliciano,Dequeno,etc) and the near misses(Berg, Brindisi, Bretti, Nappi, DeAmico, Cuda, etc) I sugest you do a LOT more listening and research and a lot less talking.

I'm listening to you. Your proclaiming to know all of this information and did "battle" up there in the 80's. Are you claiming to be a part of them?

All I want is for you to elaborate on all of the information your throwing around. You talk like you were on the ground at that time in the midst of things. Were you a Cop? an Associate? Made Guy?

You talk about guys like myself and Ivy using "Google" but where does your information come from my good sir? I can google the ABC wars as you did and regurgitate the same information as you just did.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mmalioni
There is absolutely no Buffalo activity in Las Vegas. There is a slight Chicago Outfit crew in Las Vegas, if one could even call it that. There are several guys associated with Patriarcha and the Gambinos in Las Vegas as well.

The last Buffalo activity in Las Vegas was in the late 1990s with Panaro and the Los Angeles Crime Family.

Would you happen to know the names of any of those guys in Vegas? I know a guy in Nevada that is of Italian Heritage and is a manager for many strip clubs/ night clubs but he is fairly young (26 or so). Just wondering if he is one of the guys involved. Thanks!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 03:05 PM

I'm listening to you. Your proclaiming to know all of this information and did "battle" up there in the 80's. Are you claiming to be a part of them?

All I want is for you to elaborate on all of the information your throwing around. You talk like you were on the ground at that time in the midst of things. Were you a Cop? an Associate? Made Guy?

You talk about guys like myself and Ivy using "Google" but where does your information come from my good sir? I can google the ABC wars as you did and regurgitate the same information as you just did.

You want disclosure?
Fair enough,with 3 exceptions, you don't get my name (although with some work you might be able to get it yourself, I will never confirm or deny) you don't get any criminal activity I have done, except what I was convicted of and I do not mention names of people still alive who have not already been publicly outed by the media or law enforcement.
That said, I was, and am a semi retired, Buffalo associate, and was a a Buffalo loyalist in both the A-B-C wars and the subsequent aftermath in upstate NY, in which the Columbos, Gambinos,Scranton/Pittston,Pittsburg, and what was left of Valente's crew tried to take advantage of the chaos and gain real estate and operations that belonged to Buffalo.
I did 14 months for firearms charges because of bad searches and general fuck ups by the B and the NYS OC task force, but I was originally facing RICO prerequisites. I stood up and turned on NO one even though I was facing possible life and was offered the WPP. Upon my release I probably could have been made in less than a year, but I asked to step away and back out, my request was conditionally granted. These days I run my own business here in the midwest, and have a W-2 job as well. I have made friends out here but keep an arms length and am always careful never to misrepresent myself or overstate my position. AS a result I have the respect and trust of some guys in two families out here.
As for my "battle" role, a lot of it I can not and will not disclose for obvious reasons, but suffice to say I waved the flag and went nose to nose with the opposition with the best of them.
The Columbos and Buffalo had good relations over the years, till that scumbag Dominic Bretti and his crew of lowlifes decided to kick the door open uninvited and with no parlay or sit down.
It was taken to the commission and Tony Ducks famously said "I don't care who runs those cow towns" and that was the attitude of both other crews and the FBI, until just when things were winding down and it was pretty much solved, Bretti's crew whacks a WOMAN of all things, over peanuts, $2000 she skimmed in a check cashing scam.
Hellfire rained down on everyone from the FBI, Justice department, the NY state police, 4 city police departments and 4 sheriffs departments.
This is just a sliver of what you wont find on sites like this or in the media, you had to be there to know it.
Some people have asked me why I don't write a book, I just may some day, once everyone who matters is dead, assuming I outlive them...hope this helps

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 03:12 PM

You want disclosure?
Fair enough,with 3 exceptions, you don't get my name (although with some work you might be able to get it yourself, I will never confirm or deny) you don't get any criminal activity I have done, except what I was convicted of and I do not mention names of people still alive who have not already been publicly outed by the media or law enforcement.
That said, I was, and am a semi retired, Buffalo associate, and was a a Buffalo loyalist in both the A-B-C wars and the subsequent aftermath in upstate NY, in which the Columbos, Gambinos,Scranton/Pittston,Pittsburg, and what was left of Valente's crew tried to take advantage of the chaos and gain real estate and operations that belonged to Buffalo.
I did 14 months for firearms charges because of bad searches and general fuck ups by the B and the NYS OC task force, but I was originally facing RICO prerequisites. I stood up and turned on NO one even though I was facing possible life and was offered the WPP. Upon my release I probably could have been made in less than a year, but I asked to step away and back out, my request was conditionally granted. These days I run my own business here in the midwest, and have a W-2 job as well. I have made friends out here but keep an arms length and am always careful never to misrepresent myself or overstate my position. AS a result I have the respect and trust of some guys in two families out here.
As for my "battle" role, a lot of it I can not and will not disclose for obvious reasons, but suffice to say I waved the flag and went nose to nose with the opposition with the best of them.
The Columbos and Buffalo had good relations over the years, till that scumbag Dominic Bretti and his crew of lowlifes decided to kick the door open uninvited and with no parlay or sit down.
It was taken to the commission and Tony Ducks famously said "I don't care who runs those cow towns" and that was the attitude of both other crews and the FBI, until just when things were winding down and it was pretty much solved, Bretti's crew whacks a WOMAN of all things, over peanuts, $2000 she skimmed in a check cashing scam.
Hellfire rained down on everyone from the FBI, Justice department, the NY state police, 4 city police departments and 4 sheriffs departments.
This is just a sliver of what you wont find on sites like this or in the media, you had to be there to know it.
Some people have asked me why I don't write a book, I just may some day, once everyone who matters is dead, assuming I outlive them...hope this helps

That's a long shot sniper but I will retract any negative statements made about you IF all of these stories check out.

That being said, where did you spend your time in prison? And when exactly were you in prison? (specific dates)

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 03:28 PM

I did my time in Oxford Wisconsin in 1993-94, that is as much as I wish to disclose. There is a good reason for that and if that in some way diminishes my credibility in your mind so be it, but it should in fact confirm some things. No one who wishes to protect their anonymity is going to give you months and days.
As for checking out my snippet,look into the Dawn Grillo murder and the cast of idiots involved. SOME of what I disclosed may be openly available.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 03:54 PM

Waow I´m impressed! I wonder if you could help me out a little bit. I´ve got two pictures of two important mobsters from the Rochester area, but I don´t know their names. All I know is that they were pretty important fellows. Do you know who these two guys are:

Description: -
Attached picture AD.png

Description: -
Attached picture AD2.png
Posted By: oldirtyfishkilla

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 04:00 PM

I would be fascinated to hear any and all things about Rochester.

You mentioned you were a Buffalo loyalist in the Alphabet Wars. I'm not sure I understand this as I thought Rochester was backed by the Bonanno's and had broken free of Buffalo?

I'd also like to hear a first hand account of what Sammy G was really like!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Waow I´m impressed! I wonder if you could help me out a little bit. I´ve got two pictures of two important mobsters from the Rochester area, but I don´t know their names. All I know is that they were pretty important fellows. Do you know who these two guys are:

That almost looks like Cosimo Andaloro circa 1960s on top, and that may be Angelo Amico on the bottom

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: oldirtyfishkilla

You mentioned you were a Buffalo loyalist in the Alphabet Wars. I'm not sure I understand this as I thought Rochester was backed by the Bonanno's and had broken free of Buffalo?

The media accounts of the ABC wars(what they called the A and B wars because they were not even aware of the 3rd faction) was horrific.
While there were blurry lines, the trinciples lined up this way. The Buffalo loyalists who supported the old guard and refused to recognize Rochester as a separate family and fought to maintain cental NY, The Pittsburgh/Bannano supported Valente crew of separatists, and the Columbo and Scranton/Pittston supported crew of Buffalo factions who were willing to let not only Rochester but everything west go to the highest bidder.
Sammy was considerably older than me and I only met him briefly as a young man, but he was by all accounts a piece of work. I would have liked to have known him better and under more pleasent circumstances

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 04:27 PM

The media accounts of the ABC wars(what they called the A and B wars because they were not even aware of the 3rd faction) was horrific.
While there were blurry lines, the trinciples lined up this way. The Buffalo loyalists who supported the old guard and refused to recognize Rochester as a separate family and fought to maintain cental NY, The Pittsburgh/Bannano supported Valente crew of separatists, and the Columbo and Scranton/Pittston supported crew of Buffalo factions who were willing to let not only Rochester but everything west go to the highest bidder.
Sammy was considerably older than me and I only met him briefly as a young man, but he was by all accounts a piece of work. I would have liked to have known him better and under more pleasent circumstances

Too bad you only met Sammy G once. I wonder why did the Colombos get themselves into this mess? And who were the ones operating for the Colombos in that area?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 04:56 PM

Dominic Bretti, a made Colombo guy got out of Prison and his home town was Utica NY, which happened to be in the thick of the dispute. Persico had already been commiserating with the Hamilton crew during the fall out with the Maggadino faction, had Bretti put a crew together that consisted of some Colombo guys he brought in from down state and some disgruntled Buffalo associates, and John Sullivan was on deck if needed.(He ended up doing a hit in Rochester and for some inexplicable reason, doing a robbery in Utica two days later) This was part of the "C TEAM"
War was pretty much declared in Central NY when they whacked Al Marrone (A made Buffalo and A team guy) two days after he got out of prison. Bretti believed if they took him out the rest of the Buffalo crew in the area would fold, a HUGE mistake.
The Falange crew, The Rome crew, the Water street crew and the Mohawk street crew dug in and there was a substantial body count. In the end the Western C team did themselves in behind too much cocaine and some senseless hits and that did nothing but bring heat on everyone. Remember,they didn't call the Colombos "The gang who couldn't shoot straight" for nothing
Posted By: Johnny_Pops

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 05:05 PM

TheArm seems pretty well informed. I wonder if you could share some more insights on Hamilton? With the influence of the Siderno group, the Rizzuto organization and LCN on the various local factions it is hard to get an accurate picture of the current situation. Also, something that always intrigued me - why wasn't there a response from Buffalo when the Musitanos (as a proxy for the Rizzutos) whacked Johnny Papalia? Thanks.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 05:20 PM

Dominic Bretti, a made Colombo guy got out of Prison and his home town was Utica NY, which happened to be in the thick of the dispute. Persico had already been commiserating with the Hamilton crew during the fall out with the Maggadino faction, had Bretti put a crew together that consisted of some Colombo guys he brought in from down state and some disgruntled Buffalo associates, and John Sullivan was on deck if needed.(He ended up doing a hit in Rochester and for some inexplicable reason, doing a robbery in Utica two days later) This was part of the "C TEAM"
War was pretty much declared in Central NY when they whacked Al Marrone (A made Buffalo and A team guy) two days after he got out of prison. Bretti believed if they took him out the rest of the Buffalo crew in the area would fold, a HUGE mistake.
The Falange crew, The Rome crew, the Water street crew and the Mohawk street crew dug in and there was a substantial body count. In the end the Western C team did themselves in behind too much cocaine and some senseless hits and that did nothing but bring heat on everyone. Remember,they didn't call the Colombos "The gang who couldn't shoot straight" for nothing

Cool! Thanks for your reply. I´ve read Bretti was a tough guy but, of course I can´t say for sure. How tough was he? Have you met him?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Johnny_Pops
TheArm seems pretty well informed. I wonder if you could share some more insights on Hamilton? With the influence of the Siderno group, the Rizzuto organization and LCN on the various local factions it is hard to get an accurate picture of the current situation. Also, something that always intrigued me - why wasn't there a response from Buffalo when the Musitanos (as a proxy for the Rizzutos) whacked Johnny Papalia? Thanks.

The current situation is a mess. Hamilton is being run by a traditional Capo and a "street boss" who seems to be more than soldier and less than a skipper, the logic being it is harder to track two guys than one.
As for retaliation for murder of Pops, the sad thing is those with the wherewithal, the balls and the motivation were either too long of tooth, in prison or dead. Off the top of my head, were any of the guys from the old Local 442 crew, 20 years younger at the time (Rocco L in particular)or guys like Benny or Jimmy T, they would have disemboweled Murdock Paddy and Angelo

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 05:27 PM

Cool! Thanks for your reply. I´ve read Bretti was a tough guy but, of course I can´t say for sure. How tough was he? Have you met him?

Even though he was a sworn enemy and IMO a real mutt, I will have to admit Bretti was tough as nails and a serious guy. I met him when he first got out of prison the first time at Freddie Gramaldi's before all the bad blood happened. I was introduced first by the daughters one of the owners and he was dismissive to say the least. later that night when I was introduced as "A friend of mine" by a made guy he was a lot more amicable.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 05:36 PM

Even though he was a sworn enemy and IMO a real mutt, I will have to admit Bretti was tough as nails and a serious guy. I met him when he first got out of prison the first time at Freddie Gramaldi's before all the bad blood happened. I was introduced first by the daughters one of the owners and he was dismissive to say the least. later that night when I was introduced as "A friend of mine" by a made guy he was a lot more amicable.

Oh...so you have met him! Do you know what I just learned...the pictures I posted earlier is of Dominick Bretti. What are you trying to pull? Why are you lying? Who´s going to believe you now? You´re just a dick who found this site for role playing purposes. Get lost you bum!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 05:42 PM

The current situation is a mess. Hamilton is being run by a traditional Capo and a "street boss" who seems to be more than soldier and less than a skipper, the logic being it is harder to track two guys than one.
As for retaliation for murder of Pops, the sad thing is those with the wherewithal, the balls and the motivation were either too long of tooth, in prison or dead. Off the top of my head, were any of the guys from the old Local 442 crew, 20 years younger at the time (Rocco L in particular)or guys like Benny or Jimmy T, they would have disemboweled Murdock Paddy and Angelo

Thanks. The Musitanos are so low key now, they seem to have disappeared, although you do hear they absorbed a lot of Papalia's enterprise after he was hit. You only read about the Violi/Luppinos in connection with their 'NDrangheta connection and their supposed participation in the Montreal power struggle. With Jimmy Luppino passing away, I wondered how much influence LCN had on the younger generation.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 06:12 PM

Oh...so you have met him! Do you know what I just learned...the pictures I posted earlier is of Dominick Bretti. What are you trying to pull? Why are you lying? Who´s going to believe you now? You´re just a dick who found this site for role playing purposes. Get lost you bum!

If that was Bretti...it was taken when I was 6 years old if not before I was born....you do know he's 79 right? (of course you didn't)
Nice try sporto...believe me, I am the best connected guy you will ever personally talk to...bu bye now

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 06:17 PM

Thanks. The Musitanos are so low key now, they seem to have disappeared, although you do hear they absorbed a lot of Papalia's enterprise after he was hit. You only read about the Violi/Luppinos in connection with their 'NDrangheta connection and their supposed participation in the Montreal power struggle. With Jimmy Luppino passing away, I wondered how much influence LCN had on the younger generation.

Hamilton, and for that matter Toronto, is down to a hard core.
They have half the people they had on the street even 15 years ago.
With Vito dead no one knows whats going to happen in Montreal now. I don't see a lot of GenXers ready for prime time in either place, but who knows?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 06:23 PM

Well, he was around 50 when you say you met him. The pictures are taken in the late 1960s.

Tell me...what was Bretti´s occupation?
What was his brother´s name?
What happened to his brother?
What was the name of the guy that was found dead in a room at Ramada Inn?

You´re just a bullshitter!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 06:36 PM

His brothers name was Tom and he got blown up on his front porch.
Bretti ran some agency for ex cons on parole, which was a scam
I don't recall the name of the guy who was whacked at the Goombata Ramada because he was a nobody...just like you
Any more Utica crime 101 questions Bozo?

Your pictures were a joke, also just like you...fuzzy black and whites from 50 years ago....this is what he looked like give or take when I met him...what a mook

Bretti and Nappi

Tell me Mr hairypalms...what was the OTHER women's name that Bretti's crew whacked and what bar did she work at...and for a bonus point, what Buffalo associate ran the bar? Either his nickname or real name will do. Not sure Google will help you here.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 06:55 PM

Arm, You said that Sammy was a real piece of work... Care to elaborate?

Also, I'm wondering if you could shed some better light on the Alphabet wars as you said the media coverage was horrific.

I have read The Hammer Conspiracies and Georgia Durante's book and those are the only books on the subject of Rochester. Anything else is the same articles over and over..

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 06:56 PM

The pictures I posted are of Bretti. He looked more or less the same in 1968 as he did in the early 1980s, when you say you met him. Tell me more about your life, the times when you were "battling it out" for the Buffalo Family. What exactly was it you did back then? And tell me the truth, lies are worth shit.

For the record. It´s not me who´s claiming to have been there. You are!
Posted By: domwoods74

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 06:59 PM

I've been after a copy of the hammer conspiracies for ages , bit out my price range for a book

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 07:14 PM

The pictures I posted are of Bretti. He looked more or less the same in 1968 as he did in the early 1980s, when you say you met him. Tell me more about your life, the times when you were "battling it out" for the Buffalo Family. What exactly was it you did back then? And tell me the truth, lies are worth shit.

Those pictures looked like no one, they didn't even look like each other, and NOTHING like Bretti Circa 1978-80. They resembled the guys I named...but you never heard of them, have you?
I already disclosed a lot of that in a previous post, and since I am guessing you are a native Utican based on your silly questions and your belief you actually know something, you should KNOW what was happening on Bleeker near Albany, 2nd Avenue, Mohawk and Bleeker, etc. Unless you are a kid rushing to Google and regurgitating stories you hear from your Dad.
More likely I suspect you are 50 something and when you were a punk kid, because you hung out at Whiteys and Mike Ms dads auto shop on Bleeker and Albany that made you a wise guy. Sorry to break the news, it didn't. Things happened when you were asleep in your Moms house out on those streets that would have made you shit your pants.
What you read about in the OD and the Herald American and talked about at TRs place at 2AM was my life at that time.
You either know what went on from around 1976-1985 or you don't. I am not going to give you a blow by blow of exactly what I did or didn't do because there are things that I could still be held accountable for. I'm enjoying my retirement,I have no intentions of screwing it up to convince somebody like you of anything. Believe what you like

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 07:21 PM

Arm, You said that Sammy was a real piece of work... Care to elaborate?

Also, I'm wondering if you could shed some better light on the Alphabet wars as you said the media coverage was horrific.

I have read The Hammer Conspiracies and Georgia Durante's book and those are the only books on the subject of Rochester. Anything else is the same articles over and over..

Sammy was flamboyant and loud, he wore his button like a new suit. He made Gatti look low key.
The Hammer Conspiracies focused too much and put way too much stock in Massaro and the conduct of the police and Monroe County prosecutors.
The Rochester, Syracuse and Utica papers pretty much printed AP copy. The REAL story from street level has never been told.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 07:40 PM

Those pictures looked like no one, they didn't even look like each other, and NOTHING like Bretti Circa 1978-80. They resembled the guys I named...but you never heard of them, have you?
I already disclosed a lot of that in a previous post, and since I am guessing you are a native Utican based on your silly questions and your belief you actually know something, you should KNOW what was happening on Bleeker near Albany, 2nd Avenue, Mohawk and Bleeker, etc. Unless you are a kid rushing to Google and regurgitating stories you hear from your Dad.
More likely I suspect you are 50 something and when you were a punk kid, because you hung out at Whiteys and Mike Ms dads auto shop on Bleeker and Albany that made you a wise guy. Sorry to break the news, it didn't. Things happened when you were asleep in your Moms house out on those streets that would have made you shit your pants.
What you read about in the OD and the Herald American and talked about at TRs place at 2AM was my life at that time.
You either know what went on from around 1976-1985 or you don't. I am not going to give you a blow by blow of exactly what I did or didn't do because there are things that I could still be held accountable for. I'm enjoying my retirement,I have no intentions of screwing it up to convince somebody like you of anything. Believe what you like

Not only do the pictures look like Bretti, it is also actually him. How did you, a hitman from Buffalo who was "battling out" for the Buffalo Mafia, fail to recognize him? Do you think that I was born this morning? Since you won´t tell me anything specific about what you did back then and there, I will have to consider you as the bullshitter that you are.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 07:47 PM

Not only do the pictures look like Bretti, it is also actually him. How did you, a hitman from Buffalo who was "battling out" for the Buffalo Mafia, fail to recognize him? Do you think that I was born this morning? Since you won´t tell me anything specific about what you did back then and there, I will have to consider you as the bullshitter that you are.

They looked like NO ONE bozo, and anyone who saw them knows it...but then again I can see by browsing the site no one cares what you have to say anyway. You add nothing to any conversation, you go from one thread to the other getting owned and then move on....you're a joke.
Just a tip...when you use words like "hit man" it proves to everyone you don't know your ass from your elbow, you may want to avoid them.
I totally nailed you silly questions and pretty much nailed your BIO too didn't I Utica boy? LOL...ate a lot of GEEBOS ON JAMES as a kid huh?
Now go find one of those Bosnians and give him a sloppy kiss on the nut sack,,,Hear that CLICK,,,,that is you being ignored...loser.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 07:52 PM

No you didn´t nail my questions. The only one you got right was the name of the brother. And you grossly failed to recognize Bretti. What does that say?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 07:55 PM

They looked like NO ONE bozo, and anyone who saw them knows it...but then again I can see by browsing the site no one cares what you have to say anyway. You add nothing to any conversation, you go from one thread to the other getting owned and then move on....you're a joke.
Just a tip...when you use words like "hit man" it proves to everyone you don't know your ass from your elbow, you may want to avoid them.
I totally nailed you silly questions and pretty much nailed your BIO too didn't I Utica boy? LOL...ate a lot of GEEBOS ON JAMES as a kid huh?
Now go find one of those Bosnians and give him a sloppy kiss on the nut sack,,,Hear that CLICK,,,,that is you being ignored...loser.

Whats more pathetic than an internet troll?
One who keeps posting when they know the person they are talking to cant read a word they say.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 08:01 PM

Arm,

Do you think the ACTUAL story of the Rochester family will ever be told??? Is there a resource you could point me to for more information about those times??? News archives don't provide anything...

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 08:22 PM

You seem to want to give us the inside scoop on everything from upstate New York, to Rockford, to Vegas. You remind me of an old poster on another forum years ago that was dubbed the "Forrest Gump" of the mob. You always find yourself in just the right place, at just the right time. Never mind much of your posts don't square with the facts.

You claim the Buffalo family has around 60 members right now. Sorry to break it to you but there were said to be only about 45 members back in 1989. Last year, one article cited a 2006 FBI chart that showed 23 remaining members. And a few have died since then, leaving approximately 20 members remaining.

You also claim Milwaukee has like 20 members. They may have not even had that many the last time there was actually a mob case in that town, which was in the mid-1980's.

Then there's your claim that Rockford is "soon to open the books." Even if this were true, how you would know this, and why you would be posting about it here, is anyone's guess. There hasn't been a formally structured family in Rockford in years. There's only been one relatively small gambling case there in recent years and the guy overseeing the operation (Saladino) was later identified as an associate of the Chicago Outfit's South Side crew.

And now you're going to tell us about the Buffalo family's activity in Vegas. As another poster said above, the last activity in Las Vegas involving the Buffalo family was in the 1990's. A few years later, it was reported the only families that still had any activity there were the 5 NY families and Chicago. And even then there were only about a dozen members said to reside in Vegas and some of them were in prison.

Anyway, you can drop all the names you want, and make all the claims you want, and obviously there are enough gullible dopes on the internet that you will get some bites. But some of us have been doing this long enough that we can smell a bullshitter a mile away. My suggestion is you quit now.

Take care. wink

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/27/13 09:11 PM

I hope I'm not being looped into the "gullible dope" category.

I have done quite a bit of research about Rochester and the answers I have been getting are vague at best...

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/28/13 12:40 AM

Lets face it ivy, you and I have both seen this type of person before. Just another chucklehead who looks to get his sick kicks by boasting about having the "inside scoop" on the mob. His so called "inside scoop" isn't worth the hair on my nutsack

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/28/13 09:12 AM

Hey ARM,

How did you battle the Colombos back to New York? Was it a battle on the dance floor, where you got to use both your legs and ARMs? Did you moonwalk them silly? Disco was huge back in the day. Or was it an ARMwrestling contest that settled the beef? Was ARMand Dellacroce involved in some way, part of the ARMy behind you, or did you single handedly tell cARMine persico to fuck off? Weren´t you afraid of the Colombos making pARMa prosciutto out of you? I bet you were ARMed at all times. Didn´t you fear ARMageddon back then?

Would really like to know here and now every single detail of your chARMing life. Do I really have to wait til 2042, when your hARMless book comes out?
Posted By: F_white

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/28/13 03:19 PM

Hey ARM,

How did you battle the Colombos back to New York? Was it a battle on the dance floor, where you got to use both your legs and ARMs? Did you moonwalk them silly? Disco was huge back in the day. Or was it an ARMwrestling contest that settled the beef? Was ARMand Dellacroce involved in some way, part of the ARMy behind you, or did you single handedly tell cARMine persico to fuck off? Weren´t you afraid of the Colombos making pARMa prosciutto out of you? I bet you were ARMed at all times. Didn´t you fear ARMageddon back then?

Would really like to know here and now every single detail of your chARMing life. Do I really have to wait til 2042, when your hARMless book comes out?

Classic!!!!!!!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 04:04 PM

You guys are free to believe or dismiss anything I say, including that idiot who thinks he tripped me up by posting 50 year old scratchy black and white pics who look like no one, and was stupid enough to think I would openly post criminal activity I was involved in (what a Mook)
Do yourselves a favor and check out ANY information I have given, not opinions, statements and you will find each and every one checks out down to the color of the wallpaper.
Two people have already emailed me and took guesses as to who I am, one got it right.
So you can either listen to people who watched a few documentaries and post on internet forums and think they are experts, or you can listen to someone who spent half of their life neck deep in the life and even did time for it...entirely up to you.
Hairypalms tried to quiz me and I aced his idiot questions, feel free to do that same...bring it

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 04:11 PM

You seem to want to give us the inside scoop on everything from upstate New York, to Rockford, to Vegas. You remind me of an old poster on another forum years ago that was dubbed the "Forrest Gump" of the mob. You always find yourself in just the right place, at just the right time. Never mind much of your posts don't square with the facts.

You claim the Buffalo family has around 60 members right now. Sorry to break it to you but there were said to be only about 45 members back in 1989. Last year, one article cited a 2006 FBI chart that showed 23 remaining members. And a few have died since then, leaving approximately 20 members remaining.

You also claim Milwaukee has like 20 members. They may have not even had that many the last time there was actually a mob case in that town, which was in the mid-1980's.

Then there's your claim that Rockford is "soon to open the books." Even if this were true, how you would know this, and why you would be posting about it here, is anyone's guess. There hasn't been a formally structured family in Rockford in years. There's only been one relatively small gambling case there in recent years and the guy overseeing the operation (Saladino) was later identified as an associate of the Chicago Outfit's South Side crew.

And now you're going to tell us about the Buffalo family's activity in Vegas. As another poster said above, the last activity in Las Vegas involving the Buffalo family was in the 1990's. A few years later, it was reported the only families that still had any activity there were the 5 NY families and Chicago. And even then there were only about a dozen members said to reside in Vegas and some of them were in prison.

Anyway, you can drop all the names you want, and make all the claims you want, and obviously there are enough gullible dopes on the internet that you will get some bites. But some of us have been doing this long enough that we can smell a bullshitter a mile away. My suggestion is you quit now.

Take care. wink

You my friend are LOST in media speculation and internet forum ignornce. I again invite you to come along with me to some of my favorite places in Rockford and Milwaukee, and loudly proclaim that these familes are dead. One of two things will happen, they will be amused by your lack of scope and you will be the brunt of their jokes for years, or they will take offense, and that will not be pretty.
If you REALLY want to stick to your claim there are 25 guys left in the Buffalo family, thats fine, just know you have blown ANY credibility with anyone who knows anything...carry on son.
BTW.....you mentioned Russ carcone in your OP, I have known Russ his entire life and I knew his Dad from the time I could walk, the entire family had joined mine on vacations and countless dinners....thats just a sliver of who I have known...who you been with son?

PS..as far as Buffalo activity in Vegas, apperently you are blissfully unaware of the background of one of the last remaining pre corperate takeover casino owners...but we will save that for another thread. In addition to NY, Buffalo, Rockford and Chicago, I am pretty well known in Providence as well...let me guess son, that is down to 20 members too…LOL

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 04:19 PM

Arm,

Do you think the ACTUAL story of the Rochester family will ever be told??? Is there a resource you could point me to for more information about those times??? News archives don't provide anything...

Thats the problem, it is scattered in media reports and FBI files compliled by folks who dont even relize the ripple effect outside of Rochester. It spanned fro Buffalo to Canada to Utica to all the Pennsylvaina familes and as far away as Chicago.
I have a manuscript about 85% complete and 50% edited...a few people have to die before I begin publication....it has always been my policy not to out people who are alive and under the radar in either spoken or written word

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 04:31 PM

You guys are free to believe or dismiss anything I say, including that idiot who thinks he tripped me up by posting 50 year old scratchy black and white pics who look like no one, and was stupid enough to think I would openly post criminal activity I was involved in (what a Mook)
Do yourselves a favor and check out ANY information I have given, not opinions, statements and you will find each and every one checks out down to the color of the wallpaper.
Two people have already emaikled me and took guesses as to who I am, one got it right.
So you can either listen to people who watched a few documentaries and post on internet forums and think they are experts, or you can listen to someone who spent half of their life neck deep in the life and even did time for it...entirely up to you.
Hairypalms tried to quiz me and I aced his idiot questions, feel free to do that same...bring it

You may fool one or two posters on here. But don´t think for a second that you can fool me. You´re just an internet mobster wannabe who´ve read a couple of articles published locally upstate NY and who wants to get recognition for something you ain´t. As for my questions, again, you did not nail them. You are not giving any information that can not be found on the internet or in locally published articles. Get real or get lost!

You´re just a bullshitting eARMuff waering benchwARMer. That´s what you are.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 04:37 PM

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Sorry HairyPalms...you were amusing for a few minutes, now you just clutter my screen...you using the word "Hitman" was as much as I could take without losing brain cells

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 04:50 PM

So this one goes out to all those who think they are experts on the LCN becuse they post on internet forums, read abserd media accounts and laughable FBI intel and claim there is no Buffalo activity in Vegas.......what casino operator in both Vegas and AC was BORN into association with the Arm (the Buffalo family)and has been quietly their laisaon since the 90s, and has been so insulated and buffered, no law enforcement agancy has ever been able to even say a bad thing about him?
Bonus poimts in you know his birth name as well as his changed name

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 05:28 PM

So this one goes out to all those who think they are experts on the LCN becuse they post on internet forums, read abserd media accounts and laughable FBI intel and claim there is no Buffalo activity in Vegas.......what casino operator in both Vegas and AC was BORN into association with the Arm (the Buffalo family)and has been quietly their laisaon since the 90s, and has been so insulated and buffered, no law enforcement agancy has ever been able to even say a bad thing about him?
Bonus poimts in you know his birth name as well as his changed name

TheArm for 500 points? confused

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 05:34 PM

I wish...LOL
A hint, he was born in New England and raised in Upstate NY, his family was, among other things,in the furniture business

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 08:31 PM

I wish...LOL
A hint, he was born in New England and raised in Upstate NY, his family was, among other things,in the furniture business

None of you guys who have “been researching LCN for years” has a clue or cares tom take a stab at this huh?
I am deeply disapointed

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 08:54 PM

I think no one really cares.

Tell me have you ever run across any Louisiana guys in your heyday?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 09:09 PM

I think no one really cares.

Tell me have you ever run across any Louisiana guys in your heyday?

I have family in Louisiana, the grandchildren of folks who bypasses Ellis island. According to family stories I had a great uncle who was an associate of the Marcello family way back, but that has never been confirmed...BTW...the Casino owner is question is Steve Wynn

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/30/13 09:11 PM

I figured that they are few and far between down here

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/31/13 03:36 PM

The Marcello family imploded because the old guard thought they were going to live forever, and the younger members and associates found being semi legit in real estate and housing and commercial renovation more comfortable and profitable. Katrina made fortunes for some of these guys. You want to see what would be the Marcello family if it still existed, you will find them eating dinner at Mosca's with their wives and kids.
Posted By: 12thStreet

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/31/13 06:54 PM

Kind of like how the old Elmwood Park Crew of the Outfit imploded after guys like Johnny DiFronzo and Joe Andriacchi got tired of the street rackets after making millions of their own in real estate and construction. The Arm, your knowledge of Buffalo and Chicago vis a via Rockford is somewhat of a clue as to your identity perhaps?? Or perhaps as to whom you may have known??? There is a well-known link between The Outfit and The Arm as I'm sure you are aware

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/31/13 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: 12thStreet
Kind of like how the old Elmwood Park Crew of the Outfit imploded after guys like Johnny DiFronzo and Joe Andriacchi got tired of the street rackets after making millions of their own in real estate and construction. The Arm, your knowledge of Buffalo and Chicago vis a via Rockford is somewhat of a clue as to your identity perhaps?? Or perhaps as to whom you may have known??? There is a well-known link between The Outfit and The Arm as I'm sure you are aware

Lets just say the link you describe is more than a single individual, and yes I know them well....this is why I measure my words carefully. I stumbled on this site, and thought I might shed some light on some things,. dispel some myths and cleanse my soul a little

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/31/13 07:10 PM

Fair enough...:) the single individual is far and away the most famous though. His nephews are here in Chicago as well, no?? The famous guy's brother was a somebody in Buffalo as well and I believe his son is an attorney?? The links between the Families are of tremendous interest to me. Chicago&Buffalo, Chicago&Geneveses thru the Ebolis, Chicago & Papalardo in Cleveland, etc..

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/31/13 07:15 PM

Fair enough...:) the single individual is far and away the most famous though. His nephews are here in Chicago as well, no?? The famous guy's brother was a somebody in Buffalo as well and I believe his son is an attorney?? The links between the Families are of tremendous interest to me. Chicago&Buffalo, Chicago&Geneveses thru the Ebolis, Chicago & Papalardo in Cleveland, etc..

His nephews in Edison park, and yes the nephew is a lawyer in Buffalo. You mention Cleveland...Kudos. Not many people realize while there is no more Cleveland family, a lot of links between the East and Midwest still run past Mayfield road

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/31/13 07:19 PM

Isn;t it true that the Rockford guys are in cahoots with Solly D's guys up in Lake Co??? And the "free agents" of the old EP Crew...don't they answer to Cicero via Melrose Park nowadays??
Posted By: cheech

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/31/13 07:21 PM

I sent you a pm, SharpieOne. Just click on the red and white flashing icon up top.

But yeah, Tony the Kid is right. It's Louie and Ernie's, hands down, even though that's technically Pelham Bay. Their white clam pie actually cures impotence. I've, uhm, heard whistle.

best white clam in the world Sally's in New Haven...Pepes a close 2nd

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/31/13 07:29 PM

Isn;t it true that the Rockford guys are in cahoots with Solly D's guys up in Lake Co??? And the "free agents" of the old EP Crew...don't they answer to Cicero via Melrose Park nowadays??

They have always been close to the lake County crew and they picked up a lot of free agents and made them their own, not the least of them being "Pooch's" old crew from Northern Cook county.
A lot of guys from the he Melrose crew hang out at St Ambrogio's, which is why the key hole peeking FBI gets confused and lists Rockford guys as "Chicago associates"

Re: New article on Buffalo - 12/31/13 10:04 PM

lol lol lol this is too good. Arm you gotta lie down before you hurt yourself buddy. Also it wouldn't hurt to see a psychiatrist. I know a good one you can call lol

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/01/14 07:25 AM

Arm knows he's full of crap. He's just enjoying the attention while it lasts.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/01/14 06:18 PM

100% agree on a White Clams at Sally's! Joey Garlic's has great New Haven style pizza as well with wicked sweet potato fries!

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/01/14 06:22 PM

Not really a link between Chicago and Papalardo in Cleveland. RJ was a nobody in the early 1980's, dealt some dope. The true link between Chicago & Cleveland was between Joey Doves and Angelo Lonardo as well as Maishe Rockman & Gus Alex. Scalish was close to Accardo through Tony Milano, the former king of Murray Hill.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/02/14 03:25 PM

Love these wikipedia scholers who think they actually know something

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/02/14 03:28 PM

Not really a link between Chicago and Papalardo in Cleveland. RJ was a nobody in the early 1980's, dealt some dope. The true link between Chicago & Cleveland was between Joey Doves and Angelo Lonardo as well as Maishe Rockman & Gus Alex. Scalish was close to Accardo through Tony Milano, the former king of Murray Hill.

Be careful when saying Scalish was "close" to Accardo, they had a fragile amicable truce at best after Fratiano exposed the old beefs and let both sides know what the other had been saying and thinking.
Posted By: cheech

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/02/14 04:07 PM

100% agree on a White Clams at Sally's! Joey Garlic's has great New Haven style pizza as well with wicked sweet potato fries!

where in Mass are you from JCB?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/02/14 07:40 PM

Southeast Massachusetts, small town on the South Shore

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/02/14 07:45 PM

There was a lot of business done between Chicago and Cleveland, especially during the Scalish-Accardo years. Scalish's brother in law Maishe Rockman was close to Allan Dorfman, Gus Alex and one of his closest lifelong friends was Bill Presser, arguably one of the most powerful members of the Teamsters executive board. I never said there wasn't any distrust between the two of them (Accardo/Scalish), but they did a lot of business together, mainly because both had high ranking Teamster officials that had the ability to make things happen.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/02/14 09:20 PM

The Marcello family imploded because the old guard thought they were going to live forever, and the younger members and associates found being semi legit in real estate and housing and commercial renovation more comfortable and profitable. Katrina made fortunes for some of these guys. You want to see what would be the Marcello family if it still existed, you will find them eating dinner at Mosca's with their wives and kids.

Come on man EVERYONE knows about Mosca's, people in China have heard of Mosca's...

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/02/14 09:35 PM

people in China have heard of Mosca's...

Is the that the place where they call the chow mein combo the "Number One"? whistle

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/02/14 11:13 PM

That would be the one! lol

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/03/14 05:57 AM

Yes there are links between Papalardo and Chicago that go back to time spent in the joint together in the 1960's and 1970's when the acquaintance was first made. The Chicago guy was a member of the Hanhardt Burglary Crew and was quite friendly with Johnny DIfronzo.his name is Carmine Jannece-google him...a real sleeper
Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/03/14 12:49 PM

Second...Be careful when calling the Canadian and Utica crews "formally subservient", they are still very much Buffalo cities and Buffalo crews.....

Although you appear knowledgeable on many subjects and aspects of the mob in the Buffalo area I cannot verify what you say and so personally, not that it matters, nor that you care, but Im undecided on your legitimacy.

The issue I wish to press is your above statements.

The suggestion that Hamilton is still 'under' Buffalo is, patenently absurd. In 'your' day this may have been vaguely the case but at best, near the end of the teather.

That Buffalo could excercise influence over the N'drangheta and further in Toronto is well, vastly over-reaching, imo.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/03/14 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
Second...Be careful when calling the Canadian and Utica crews "formally subservient", they are still very much Buffalo cities and Buffalo crews.....

Although you appear knowledgeable on many subjects and aspects of the mob in the Buffalo area I cannot verify what you say and so personally, not that it matters, nor that you care, but Im undecided on your legitimacy.

The suggestion that Hamilton is still 'under' Buffalo is, patenently absurd. In 'your' day this may have been vaguely the case but at best, near the end of the teather.

That Buffalo could excercise influence over the N'drangheta and further in Toronto is well, vastly over-reaching, imo.

If I give you info you can faind on the internet, I am giving you old news, if I give you info you can't varify, you have your doubts....the classic catch 22....but anyway...make no mistake, the indictment and imprisonment of the Falange crew did not end Buffalo's influnce and control of Upstate NY, and the elimination of Pops did not end it's influence in Southern Ontario. All due respect, you suffer from a common affliction of LCN buffs known as "snapshot syndrome". You assume that when an era ends or people are gone due to death or incarceration, everything comes to a screeching halt, it doesn’t. The benediction has been read over the Buffalo family 50 times since the Banana wars, and each time rumors of it’s demise prove to be wrong. Try opening a pizza joint in Syracuse, and see who you end up buying your cheese and boxes from, or do it in Hamilton and see who puts a dumpster in the rear of your parking lot a week before you open, and without you ever making a call.
Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/03/14 07:26 PM

You may well be right. But I'm afraid my serious doubts persist.

But until someone of note or remnants flips.... or until I open a pizza joint, we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I think I'll beg to differ on this point.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/03/14 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

If I give you info you can faind on the internet, I am giving you old news, if I give you info you can't varify, you have your doubts....the classic catch 22....but anyway...make no mistake, the indictment and imprisonment of the Falange crew did not end Buffalo's influnce and control of Upstate NY, and the elimination of Pops did not end it's influence in Southern Ontario. All due respect, you suffer from a common affliction of LCN buffs known as "snapshot syndrome". You assume that when an era ends or people are gone due to death or incarceration, everything comes to a screeching halt, it doesn’t. The benediction has been read over the Buffalo family 50 times since the Banana wars, and each time rumors of it’s demise prove to be wrong. Try opening a pizza joint in Syracuse, and see who you end up buying your cheese and boxes from, or do it in Hamilton and see who puts a dumpster in the rear of your parking lot a week before you open, and without you ever making a call.

I heard Papalia's old crew in Hamilton was now run by Joey Pugliese and Dominic Italiano. I don't think there is much chance of them carrying a lot of influence with the Siderno group. Like I said before, Buffalo did nothing when Papalia was wacked so I doubt they have the muscle to push around the Calabrians today.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/04/14 06:44 PM

Buffalo exercising control over the N'Drangheta? Fat chance. If the N'Drangheta wanted to take a hot, steamy shit on Falzone's head, there's nothing anybody in Buffalo could do about it at this point. Too many connections on the other side, true Mafioso over there. Brutal Mafioso over there. Not only would they take a shit on Falzone's head, but they'd rape and pillage his family. A whole other world when dealing with the N'Drangheta, Camorra or the Sicilians.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/06/14 08:44 PM

Methinks you guys put WAY too much stock in the bark of the canadian "honored society", it's far worse than their bite. Their "muscle" is in their meth addict biker associates who are too busy fornicating with fat women with bad dye jobs to make any moves and native American cigerette smugglers who deal in nickes and quarters.
Pops was whacked at a time when the family was weak. The old timers were on the way out and the young terks were not yet acclimated. After the fact was simply too late.
Posted By: strococs

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/07/14 11:44 PM

ANyone know why Carl RIzzo was hit.?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/08/14 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: strococs

two reasons...First...Carl had the worst and most dangerous job in all of organized crime. He kept the books (both sets) for a legit business which was family controlled. He knew all the numbers and in 1980 when major heat came down, he was a total liability
Second, he could have possibly weathered that storm had he listened to what he was told instead of going rogue and trying to be above the fray instead of under the Radar.
In the end, he had to go.

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/08/14 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: strococs

two reasons...First...Carl had the worst and most dangerous job in all of organized crime. He kept the books (both sets) for a legit business which was family controlled. He knew all the numbers and in 1980 when major heat came down, he was a total liability
Second, he could have possibly weathered that storm had he listened to what he was told instead of going rogue and trying to be above the fray instead of under the Radar.
In the end, he had to go.

but for what? skimming? who was he with?

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/09/14 08:25 PM

Rizzo was with the Pieri crew.
He oversaw a dental clinic of all things who were scamming insurence companies and in those days, medicaid which covered dental, and was washing money from other operations. When heat came down he was told to lay low and get rid of any and all paper trails, but instead he chose to keep all the books as what he thought was "insurance" for himself...he should have listened

Re: New article on Buffalo - 01/09/14 09:07 PM

Rizzo was with the Pieri crew.
He oversaw a dental clinic of all things who were scamming insurence companies and in those days, medicaid which covered dental, and was washing money from other operations. When heat came down he was told to lay low and get rid of any and all paper trails, but instead he chose to keep all the books as what he thought was "insurance" for himself...he should have listened

Yeah was helping John Montana and some mobsters from jersey, get the unions to go to the certain clinics. Has something to do with prepaid dental plans overblling etc etc , pretty good scam.
Posted By: JoeTheBoss

Re: New article on Buffalo - 04/09/14 11:59 PM

so what does the structure of Buffalo look like now?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET