Home

"Open" Cities

Posted By: Toodoped

"Open" Cities - 11/07/12 08:09 PM

By "open cities" in the mafia world means that any Mafia family could operate there without permission.Its like vacation time for mobsters in cities like Miami,south Florida,mobsters used to visit there since the 20's,from Capone to Scarfo.In the 1990s authorities estimated that over 600 members from diferent crime families in America were in South Florida.
San Diego, California,Des Moines, Iowa were open cities too.In Youngstown, Ohio there was a lot of gambling operations so at some time it wasnt an "open" town anymore cuz there was a beef between the Cleveland and Pittsburgh crime families.
My question is...are some of these cities still "open" for the mob today?
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: "Open" Cities - 11/07/12 09:58 PM

Las vegas
Atlantic city
Baltimore?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: "Open" Cities - 11/07/12 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Toodoped
By "open cities" in the mafia world means that any Mafia family could operate there without permission.Its like vacation time for mobsters in cities like Miami,south Florida,mobsters used to visit there since the 20's,from Capone to Scarfo.In the 1990s authorities estimated that over 600 members from diferent crime families in America were in South Florida.

Yeah, South Florida has always been a winter playground for wiseguys. But then again, it's always been a winter playground for many well-to-do Northerners who could afford to get away during the cold months. Italians, Jews, most people with Mediterranean blood hate the cold.

As far as a city being "open" today: Since the commission barely exists at this point, these places are probably more "open" now than ever. When you read most of the Florida indictments, the crimes seem more loosely organized than a lot of scams up north.

Off topic: The snow in New York today has me wishing that we were at our place down there right now. But we're not leaving this year until a couple days after the New Year. But on the bright side, we ain't coming back til April lol.
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: "Open" Cities - 11/08/12 12:33 AM

I've heard Atlantic City is basically under the thumb of New York and Philly.

Re: "Open" Cities - 11/08/12 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Yeah, South Florida has always been a winter playground for wiseguys. But then again, it's always been a winter playground for many well-to-do Northerners who could afford to get away during the cold months. Italians, Jews, most people with Mediterranean blood hate the cold.

As far as a city being "open" today: Since the commission barely exists at this point, these places are probably more "open" now than ever. When you read most of the Florida indictments, the crimes seem more loosely organized than a lot of scams up north.

Off topic: The snow in New York today has me wishing that we were at out place down there right now. But we're not leaving this year until a couple days after the New Year. But on the bright side, we ain't coming back til April lol.

Thanx for the info PB and thats a hell of a good vacation for 3 months.I need something like that too
Posted By: Big Alex

Re: "Open" Cities - 11/08/12 02:39 PM

I have never heard of Atlantic City being open. It was always part of the Philly mob with NY allowed in after Gambling legalized. How or why or to what extent NY is allowed in I don't know. Maybe plain ole' muscle.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: "Open" Cities - 11/08/12 04:59 PM

Thanx for the info PB and thats a hell of a good vacation for 3 months.I need something like that too

You're a good man, Toodoped. Even though I can't figure out your username for the life of me lol.

Re: "Open" Cities - 11/08/12 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Even though I can't figure out your username for the life of me lol.

Me neither! wink lol i dunno, got it since i was a kid.cheers cool
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET