Home

Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923

Posted By: Brain_sells

Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 01:39 PM

Possible sighting at ringside, cliche as it is. what do you guys think? if its not him then its a good look a like!

If you have read in to Lucky you must have read in books that he purchased 200 ringside seats to recover his rep. Its even been recently added to wikipedia now as I have pasted below

'In 1923, after ruining his reputation in the criminal community with a botched drug deal, Luciano went to Rothstein for advice. Rothstein told Luciano to buy 200 expensive seats to the Jack Dempsey–Luis Firpo boxing match in the Bronx and distribute them to top gangsters and politicians. Rothstein then took Luciano on a shopping trip to Wanamaker's Department Store in Manhattan to buy high end, classy clothes for the fight. The strategy worked, and Luciano's reputation was saved.'

Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 02:37 PM

Dont know how true is this but interesting anyway...
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Brain_sells

'In 1923, after ruining his reputation in the criminal community with a botched drug deal, Luciano went to Rothstein for advice. Rothstein told Luciano to buy 200 expensive seats to the Jack Dempsey–Luis Firpo boxing match in the Bronx and distribute them to top gangsters and politicians. Rothstein then took Luciano on a shopping trip to Wanamaker's Department Store in Manhattan to buy high end, classy clothes for the fight. The strategy worked, and Luciano's reputation was saved.'

BS, I don´t want to take anything away from you, but the text you posted above, seems to come from Hammer and Gosch´s "The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano". This is a book where the authors claim the words are straight out of Luciano´s mouth. However, most Mafia experts and researchers are convinced that the book is of extremely dubious authenticity.

Richard Warner did an excellent piece in the online magazine "The Informer" (the April 2012 issue) and uncovered numerous of fact errors, and to be frankly, numerous of fraudulent statements found in the book. Check it out:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/90408801/2012-02-Informer-Apr-2012

As of the Dempsey/Firpo fight (and I have said this before) it´s claimed in the book, Luciano met Salvatore Maranzano at the fight. Maranzano supposedly offered Luciano a position in the "Maranzano Family". Now, the fight occured in 1923. Maranzano emigrated to the US in 1925. So the Luciano/Maranzano meeting at the fight could not have happened. And besides, Maranzano was not the boss of the Family he belonged to until 1930. So he could not have offered Luciano a position in the "Maranzano Family" because at that time it was led by Cola Schiro. So no "Maranzano Family" existed at the time.
In the book, it´s also claimed that Jim Pendergast, a Kansas City rackateer, was one of the men Luciano supposedly met and impressed. How can that be when Jim Pendergrast died in 1910?
Another one of the racketeers Luciano impressed (so it´s said in the book) was the Cleveland mobster Frank Scalish. In 1923, however, Scalish was 11 years old and most likely (to say the least) not a top Mafia member.

If that´s Luciano in the pictures? Who knows? But the story surrounding Luciano´s tickets is rubbish.

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 05:09 PM

Yes bruv I am fully aware of the full story and that the whole Dempsey fight story is dubious.

were all aloud to have a little dream with out being so arrogant arnt we.

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 05:51 PM

Fair enough cool
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 05:52 PM

Would not be surprised at all if its him. These guys were at all the biggest events in NY and there wasn't anything bigger than a Dempsey fight in the 20s.
Brings up an interesting question: Was Gambino, Castellano or someone at Ali v Fraser? Was Scarfo at a Hagler or Sugar Ray fight? Wonder if Gotti ever stopped by Madison Square to check out Tyson LOL.

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
Wonder if Gotti ever stopped by Madison Square to check out Tyson LOL.

I think if Gotti went on a Tyson match,there wouldve been tons of pictures of him.But there were rumours that Gotti was in business with Tysons manager,Don King
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Toodoped
Wonder if Gotti ever stopped by Madison Square to check out Tyson LOL.

I think if Gotti went on a Tyson match,there wouldve been tons of pictures of him.But there were rumours that Gotti was in business with Tysons manager,Don King

Yeah probably he would be too famous to go, especially in late 80s. I have heard about Castellano having dealings with King also. On another note I remember 2Pac was killed after a Tyson fight, there's always controversy and shady characters around boxing!

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 06:07 PM

there's always controversy and shady characters around boxing!

Thats true,since the begining of boxing
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 06:21 PM

Yes bruv I am fully aware of the full story and that the whole Dempsey fight story is dubious.

Relax buddy. Where did you see the arrogance in my post?

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 06:51 PM

There's history of certain mobsters that we can never know the real truth.Mobsters like Luciano,Lansky or Ricca and others.Shadowy figures

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Relax buddy. Where did you see the arrogance in my post?

Nah man its cool thanks for the info on that link, some insightful bits.

We all know due to newspapers of the day and luciano himself that a lot of his story is bullshit and doesn't add up. the whole idea myth/story that he was supposed to be at that very fight was worth a quick look through the footage, most of the footage is hard to identify the crowd, I thought it was a bit ironic that there is a look alike who keeps popping
Posted By: Imamobguy

Re: Lucky Luciano Seen At Jack Dempsey Fight In 1923 - 11/07/12 09:12 PM

I wouldn't say it is Luciano, Look's more like Ronald Kray. But, It could of been Luciano. I certainly wasnt there 89 years ago, but I doubt this.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET