Home

One Of The Youngest

Posted By: Toodoped

One Of The Youngest - 10/27/12 10:31 AM

On August 5, 1931, 12-year-old Herbert Niccolls Jr. (1919-1983) shoots and kills Asotin County Sheriff John Wormell (1859?-1931). The case attracts national attention. Niccolls receives life in prison at the state penitentiary in Walla Walla, but is pardoned in 1941. He goes on to live a successful, crime-free life before dying in 1983. Wormell remains the only officer in Asotin County as of today (2006) to lose his life in the line of duty.

About 1 a.m. on August 5, Niccolls broke into Peter Klaus's People's Supply Store in Asotin, intending to steal candy and cigarettes. But within minutes Sheriff John Wormell knocked on the door at the front of the store. Wormell was a 72-year-old former state representative, four-term sheriff, and descendant of one of the first settlers in Asotin County. "Come on out," he said. "I am the sheriff of Asotin County" (Lewiston Tribune).

Receiving no response, Wormell entered the store. With him was Peter Klaus, the store owner. Waiting outside were Deputy Charlie Carlisle and Deputy Sheriff Wayne Bezona. Wormell and Klaus began to search the store. Someone turned on the light. Niccolls, hiding behind a vinegar barrel, panicked. He jumped to his feet and fired at Wormell, who was standing less than five feet away. The bullet struck Wormell in the head, killing him instantly: "Wormell fell in his tracks without an outcry, his gun in his hand" (Lewiston Tribune).

source... http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=7634

and some clip bout the boy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRKFFQDgW20 (the woman that speaks is VERY melancholic)
Posted By: Big Alex

Re: One Of The Youngest - 10/27/12 10:03 PM

Where is Asotin County, you may have found the plc I've been looking for?
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: One Of The Youngest - 10/27/12 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Alex
Where is Asotin County

Google it smile...i think near Washington
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET