Home

Nicknames. How do they get created?

Posted By: Wilson

Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/21/12 06:36 PM

What is the main purpose of a nickname and how are they created?
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/21/12 06:44 PM

hey man you don't need to start a new thread for every question that you may have. use the search function or ask it in a similar thread, thanks.
Posted By: bladerkeks

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/21/12 07:14 PM

i guess they pop up after certain events or characteristics.if you are interested you may buy "codes of the underworld".there you can read about the function of these names.
Posted By: Wilson

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/21/12 07:19 PM

Does the mob create these names for each other or does the FBI come up with them?
Posted By: carmela

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/21/12 07:20 PM

I have said this many times, but a lot of what you guys relate to mafioso, are simply a matter of culture, ie..facial hair, the kissing hello, etc. Soprannomi (nicknames) are another one of these examples. In Italy it's common for children to be given nicknames as they're growing up. These names just stick and it's how they're referred to.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/21/12 07:37 PM

^^^^^ Carmela My Mother Told Me They Were all named after the saints lol
Posted By: carmela

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/21/12 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
^^^^^ Carmela My Mother Told Me They Were all named after the saints lol

If you know how many Saints there are, most people there are named after Saints. But we're talking about nicknames.
Posted By: Nick_the_Greek

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/21/12 08:32 PM

95% of the ones that aren't particularly flattering (Jackie nose, Johnny goggles, etc) were created by law enforcement. I'd wager more than we think are fakes like that.

Then again, when you see official indictments and such that list them, I'd imagine the 'aliases' are what informants/wiretaps have picked up.
Posted By: Ted

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/21/12 10:58 PM

I wish I could find that article I read a long time ago about mobsters nicknames. They are so popular because its easy to remember someone by a nickname than by their last name.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/22/12 09:50 AM

There were/still is a lot of Franks, Tonys, Pauls, Joes, Petes etc in the mob. All popular names within the Italian communities throughout US. Nicknames distinguished the guys apart. One nickname which I came across once and found interesting is "Joe DeMarco´s uncle".
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/22/12 11:40 PM

Speaking of nicknames, why is Peter Limone called "Chief Crazy Horse"? I know he was a native American folk hero, what could Limone possibly have in common with him?
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/22/12 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
Speaking of nicknames, why is Peter Limone called "Chief Crazy Horse"? I know he was a native American folk hero, what could Limone possibly have in common with him?

Is he still boss of the patriarca family? He's not in prison and on many charts he's still at the top
Posted By: icegoodbarbPresident

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/23/12 05:34 PM

Peter Limone is probably semi active due to his age and the gambling charges he faced he got off easy because he was wrongfully convicted of murder and sent to prison for life so he got just probabtion but if he gets caught up in rico or something he's screwed and not to mention he got a very nice settlement from the goverment,so I can't seem him as boss right now because Anthony dinunzio was boss, the Patriarca's are probably running leaderless right now
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/23/12 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: icegoodbarbPresident
Peter Limone is probably semi active due to his age and the gambling charges he faced he got off easy because he was wrongfully convicted of murder and sent to prison for life so he got just probabtion but if he gets caught up in rico or something he's screwed and not to mention he got a very nice settlement from the goverment,so I can't seem him as boss right now because Anthony dinunzio was boss, the Patriarca's are probably running leaderless right now

That Family is a mess at the moment. There's pretty much no one to take the reins right now. Two captains turned informant, the DiNunzio brothers are in prison, and I can't think of any other big wigs still out on the street. I hear the Providence faction is still strong though I'm not 100 percent sure. Any chance at recovery for them?
Posted By: Philip_Lombardo

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/23/12 07:04 PM

sammy gravano got his in a fight when a mobster said 'That kid fights like a Bull' and thats how he got the name
Posted By: FrankGaglianoJR

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/23/12 07:37 PM

Some mafiosi "nicknames" are given to them by the Fed's, some are given to them as children, and some are givin to them by fellow mobsters, some are give to them by fellow mobsters and dont like the name the fellow mobsters give him IE Carmine "The Snake" however someone like Vincenzo Gigante was give the name Chin by his mom because there were 1000000000 Vinny's in his neighborhood. Nick names are nick names could be given by anyone this is kindve a stupid thread in my opinion but if you dont know you dont know guess you gota ask..

Arrivedeci
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/24/12 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: FrankGaglianoJR
names are nick names could be given by anyone this is kindve a stupid thread in my opinion but if you dont know you dont know guess you gota ask..

Arrivedeci

lol lol
Posted By: Lips

Re: Nicknames. How do they get created? - 08/29/12 12:10 AM

I know that the nickname "Bugsy" was reserved for men who were considered fearless, I.E: Men who didn't take shit from anybody, probably to the point of getting them killed.

As for other nicknames, I don't know much but some come from childhood, the authorities, from within the criminal fraternity and in some cases the media.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET