Home

Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war

Posted By: Strax

Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/22/12 01:04 PM

One of best if not best articles about mafia war in Montreal i ever saw:

http://mafiainconline.com/?p=1063
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/22/12 02:01 PM

October 2010: Salvatore Montagna tries to convince Nicolo Rizzuto to step down and tells him his reign is over. A month later Rizzuto would be dead.

I'm interested to know how the writer got this information. Previous reports stated that Montagna visited Rizzuto a few months before he was killed. The writer, however, doesn't state anything new and is speculating as much as anyone else. The Calabrian vs. Siclian theory is now kind of dated and seems to be taken as a fact by some.
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/22/12 02:07 PM

Good article but why is Conti not included?

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/22/12 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
October 2010: Salvatore Montagna tries to convince Nicolo Rizzuto to step down and tells him his reign is over. A month later Rizzuto would be dead.

I'm interested to know how the writer got this information. Previous reports stated that Montagna visited Rizzuto a few months before he was killed. The writer, however, doesn't state anything new and is speculating as much as anyone else. The Calabrian vs. Siclian theory is now kind of dated and seems to be taken as a fact by some.

True,i agree.

When reputed Montreal mob boss Vito Rizzuto gets out of prison in October 2012 neither his father nor his son will be there to greet him.

According to mob watcher Antonio Nicaso as reported by Paul Cherry for the Gazette ”This is a very important year because it is one where (Rizzuto) can reaffirm his power or lose it definitely. For sure, he will be very angered that he lost so many members of his family and he is not the type of person to say ‘okay, the past is the past and let’s look to the future.’ I don’t think that will be the case. It could be the year where we find out who is really behind this plot against the Rizzutos. I think the mastermind of these attacks is still hiding in the shadows,” Nicaso said. “I think the mistake we all can make is to write the obituary of the Rizzuto crime family. It’s not the time to write the final word on them. They have the strength and the power to face this unprecedented challenge.”

Time will tell, and we’ll likely know sooner than later.
Posted By: m2w

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/22/12 02:37 PM

the calabrian vs sicilian thery is just bullshit to me so far all the people involved except mirarchi are not calabrian
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/22/12 06:16 PM

Who won between the Desjardins and the Montagna faction, again?
Posted By: carmela

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/23/12 10:51 PM

I agree!! Also, as danielson said, where's Conti in all this?

Also, I just noticed that after I called out whoever is in charge of that page for using Mukremin's charts and passing them off as their own...they blocked me from posting on their idiotic page. But they did take down those charts. I love it.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/23/12 11:17 PM

Conti who..? What are you guys talking about?

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/23/12 11:19 PM

Like u would ever post on that page

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/23/12 11:36 PM

I meant Cotroni, sorry. I saw Daniel's post and typed it the way he did w/out thinking. I'm just off vacation, mind you.

Strax..you got that right.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/23/12 11:45 PM

I would have figured that out for sure. Didn't know you guys are using abbreviations now to refer to individuals.

In any case, Conti is dead, Smonta is dead, Raydins is in prison and Vritto is being released in October.

So what did you agree on again? wink

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/23/12 11:55 PM

I would have figured that out for sure. Didn't know you guys are using abbreviations now to refer to individuals.

In any case, Conti is dead, Smonta is dead, Raydins is in prison and Vritto is being released in October.

So what did you agree on again? wink

No abbreviations, just a typo on my part.

I know about Cotroni, but they left him out. Not a thorough timeline without. But it wasn't thorough to begin with.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/24/12 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Strax

True,i agree.

When reputed Montreal mob boss Vito Rizzuto gets out of prison in October 2012 neither his father nor his son will be there to greet him.

According to mob watcher Antonio Nicaso as reported by Paul Cherry for the Gazette ”This is a very important year because it is one where (Rizzuto) can reaffirm his power or lose it definitely. For sure, he will be very angered that he lost so many members of his family and he is not the type of person to say ‘okay, the past is the past and let’s look to the future.’ I don’t think that will be the case. It could be the year where we find out who is really behind this plot against the Rizzutos. I think the mastermind of these attacks is still hiding in the shadows,” Nicaso said. “I think the mistake we all can make is to write the obituary of the Rizzuto crime family. It’s not the time to write the final word on them. They have the strength and the power to face this unprecedented challenge.”

I hope a mob war breaks out in Canada as well as Philadelphia come October!
Posted By: antimafia

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/24/12 04:18 PM

The entire timeline of the Mafia Inc. Online page is taken from the timeline found at

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/whoskillingtherizzutos/timeline.html

On the Mafia Inc. Online page, I don't see any credit or acknowledgement being given to the cbc.ca The Fifth Estate page.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/24/12 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: antimafia

The entire timeline of the Mafia Inc. Online page is taken from the timeline found at

On the Mafia Inc. Online page, I don't see any credit or acknowledgement being given to the cbc.ca The Fifth Estate page.

Apparently whoever's in charge of that mafia inc online page, likes to lift other people's work and try and pass it off as their own, never giving credit where it's due.
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/24/12 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

True,i agree.

I hope a mob war breaks out in Canada as well as Philadelphia come October!

Theres already a war going on in canada. Theres not enough actual guys in philly to have a war. Most likely one side would take over and the other side will take it and move on. its not the scarfo mob anymore.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/24/12 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: antimafia

Thanks for clearing that up.

Originally Posted By: carmela
Apparently whoever's in charge of that mafia inc online page, likes to lift other people's work and try and pass it off as their own, never giving credit where it's due.

It happens all the time.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/24/12 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela

It happens all the time.

That doesn't make it right. And I don't like them.
Posted By: allanwaterhouse

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/25/12 04:24 AM

The writer credits CBC news. He is also mentions the source of information came from Agence QMI, LaPress.ca, The Canadian Press, National Post, Montreal Gazette, Reuters, The Sixth family, by Adrian Humphreys, TVA Nouvelles. It's all in the credits down the bottom of the article. Seems like he just gathered news from all kinds of sources on the net. I agree with the original post.. Best article I've ever seen on the Montreal mob war.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 07/25/12 08:35 PM

Your article just sums up everything that has already been stated. It literally copies parts of texts from its sources.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/02/12 10:28 PM

Like u would ever post on that page

After I posted in this thread, I went back to mafiainc.online for shits and giggles and noticed that I am suddenly un-banned from there. Ain't that something? wink

I still wouldn't post there.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/03/12 02:45 AM

I ment the guy in charge before Paulo Vailo or whatever his man is. Vic i think hs his name was.
Posted By: EddieCoyle

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/03/12 03:44 AM

Vic Cotroni?

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/03/12 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Montague
Vic Cotroni?

Who else? whistle

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/03/12 09:42 PM

Thats him, i remember him from the docu on Vito working with th bikers in canada to sell his dope.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/03/12 09:46 PM

Learn more about Vic Cotroni. There use to be a great video from the 70's with two CBC reporters cornering him outside his car and he gives a great interview.
Posted By: Tonymtl

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 02:54 AM

Montreal mafia war is over. It's been over since montagna died. Vengeance was served. I said it before that American gangsters could not handle Montreal. In Montreal we don't extort from our own people. We don't extort from working class Italian businessmen. He tried. He tried taxing a lot. Now he's dead. Vito will be back. Lopresti, Suzuki and montagna all part of his revenge. Ice cream guy will be next. He's already on the run.
Posted By: Dwalin2011

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Tonymtl
Vito will be back.

Do you think Italy has a chance to get him extradited?

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 03:03 AM

I don't think so.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 03:05 AM

Why?

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 03:07 AM

Cause they news of him being extradited would have been circulating already. He's out in 2 months.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 03:18 AM

It's a pity. He would make a nice addition to the collection we already have gathered from other continents (Caruana, the Cun-treras, Rosario Gambino, soon also Vito Roberto Palazzolo)

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 03:43 AM

Ice crewm an?

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 03:47 AM

Montreal mafia war is over. It's been over since montagna died. Vengeance was served. I said it before that American gangsters could not handle Montreal. In Montreal we don't extort from our own people. We don't extort from working class Italian businessmen. He tried. He tried taxing a lot. Now he's dead. Vito will be back. Lopresti, Suzuki and montagna all part of his revenge. Ice cream guy will be next. He's already on the run.

You mean the Rizzutos weren't extorting Montreal business owners? There's tons of evidence of their two enforcers, Del Balso and Giordano, extorting, beating, killing.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: danielperrygin
Ice crewm an?

Domenico Arcuri, the elder one, who "inherited" a Montreal ice cream business from Paolo Violi. I'm not sure if his son, who presumably conspired with Montagna, is now running this business.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 04:37 AM

The Rizzuto's are/were most certainly extorting Italians/Italian Canadians. That's just silly to assume other wise. The Mafia's main targets for protection rackets have been their own kind.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 05:32 AM

Cause they news of him being extradited would have been circulating already. He's out in 2 months.

Really? Do you really think they will let him walk out the front gate(and get in his limo)? That would be good for the headlines, and the forums.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/04/12 03:34 PM

They were mostly extorting from illegal rackets and drugs. They invested and worked alongside legitimate business owners to turn profits in legal business like construction.
Posted By: vito_andolini

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/06/12 11:54 AM

I agree with most of you guys: it doesn't seem like "the war" is over for good. Maybe for the next few months, but... The second half of this article attempts to decipher what can happen in the next few months, while also legitimizing the Calabrian power and influence in Canada since Vito's incarceration, notably in the Toronto/Woodbridge areas. Enjoy--

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/05/mob-chieftains-return-sparks-concerns

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/06/12 02:09 PM

The writer states that the other two names of the suspects arrested for the murder of Montagna were unnamed, which is incorrect. The other names, besides Mirarchi, Racaniello and Desjardins are Calogero Milioto and Pietro Magistrale. Magistrale was later released. Desjardins nephew Hugo Desjardins was also arrested for possession of a firearm.

Also, the article lingers on the theory of Calabrian groups being behind it. Montagna or any other individuals in Montreal, most of whom are connected to the New York Bonanno family, wouldn't necessarily need support from Calabrian groups outside Montreal to make a move inside Montreal.

I think Montagna's trips to Toronto were only meant to consult with individuals or groups with ties to the Rizzuto family in Montreal. Without doing so he could have risked retaliation.
Posted By: short841

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/06/12 02:28 PM

I tell you what, I cant wait for this war to end and a book to be written about it.
Posted By: antimafia

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/06/12 03:48 PM

The writer states that the other two names of the suspects arrested for the murder of Montagna were unnamed, which is incorrect. The other names, besides Mirarchi, Racaniello and Desjardins are Calogero Milioto and Pietro Magistrale. Magistrale was later released. Desjardins nephew Hugo Desjardins was also arrested for possession of a firearm.

Also, the article lingers on the theory of Calabrian groups being behind it. Montagna or any other individuals in Montreal, most of whom are connected to the New York Bonanno family, wouldn't necessarily need support from Calabrian groups outside Montreal to make a move inside Montreal.

I think Montagna's trips to Toronto were only meant to consult with individuals or groups with ties to the Rizzuto family in Montreal. Without doing so he could have risked retaliation.

Sonny:

We don't know what Montagna was doing in Toronto. In my long post in the "Mob chieftain's return sparks concerns" thread, I declared that Montreal is still the hub for Italian organized crime in Canada, as I don't believe Toronto has taken over the top spot. (Nor do I subscribe to the theory that a coalition of crime groups in Ontario took over.) But Toronto is still an important centre of Italian organized-crime activity in Canada. Always has been.

The Rizzuto organization has long-established roots in Toronto and other cities in Ontario. The Rizzutos have always had blood relatives, close paesani, and criminal associates in the Toronto area. Lee Lamothe, co-author of The Sixth Family, once posted on the Real Deal about how the Rizzuto organization also consisted of Calabrian crime cells -- he was probably referring to the Toronto-area Commissos, the Musitano group in Hamilton, and 'ndranghetisti living in Montreal who probably are part of the Siderno Group in the Toronto area.

Mostly everyone of significance that Montagna could have talked to in Toronto -- whether members of Sicilian Cosa Nostra, of the 'ndrangheta, etc. -- would have tipped off the Rizzuto organization about his intentions. But I would agree with you that he could have talked with select individuals in the Toronto area (whose names have never appeared in books or articles) and with people who would have no love for the Rizzutos, e.g., Paolo Violi's sons and nephews (Violi's brothers' sons). The Mafia inc. co-authors stated only that Violi's sons were not opposed to Sergio Piccirilli's murderous desires, not that Violi's sons were behind the murders of Nick Rizzuto Sr., Paolo Renda, and Agostino Cun trera.

I suspect Montagna already knew people in the Toronto area before he ever chose Montreal as the city to which he would be deported. But the theory his trips to Ontario must have been to plot the ouster of the Rizzutos is as tenouous as the theory that Vito Rizzuto's meetings with Pat Musitano in 1997 meant Vito and other Montrealers wanted John Papalia killed.

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/06/12 08:13 PM

I'm thinking that if Montagna was behind Agostino Cun trera's murder then he might have consulted some of the Cun trera-Caruanas in Toronto first, in order to seek permission. He might also have consulted Giacinto Arcuri, because of his relation with the Arcuris in Montreal.
Posted By: vito_andolini

Re: Inside Montreal’s bloody Mafia war - 08/08/12 01:43 AM

Update on Raynald Desjardins Trial: trial is put on hold until Sept.14th to give the defence a chance to analyze data.

Vittorio Mirarchi bail hearing set for Sept.19-21

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2012/08/07/les-procedures-sont-reportees-en-septembre
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET