Home

"Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation.

Posted By: YoTonyB

"Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 06/21/12 05:40 AM

I'm reading Havana Nocturne by T.J. English and it's a good read! I bought the book primarily because of his willingness to document his sources by footnoting virtually every factual statement made throughout the entire book. Whether or not his sources are reliable is a discussion for another day...

One of the more compelling stories involves Frank Ragano who was visiting Santo Trafficante in Havana in 1958. Ragano was Trafficante's attorney and later authored the book "Mob Lawyer." Trafficante took Ragano to one of the live sex shows that just happened to feature the real-life "Superman", famously showcased in GFII when Fredo arranges a night on the town for his brother Michael, Sen. Geary and others in Havana.

According to the book, "Ragano asked if he could use his Super-8-millimeter camera to film the show. Using existing light, the lawyer captured Superman on film. The finished product is grainy and dark, but in a room surrounded by paintings of nudes, Superman's appendage is on display. He and the women followed the same routine as before. It is the only known footage of Cuba's most renowned sex performer from the era of the Havana Mob."

And according to the footnotes, "Footage of the famous Havana sex performer -- made by Frank Ragano in 1958 -- was viewed by the author on March 1, 2007, in Tampa, courtesy of Chris Ragano, Frank Ragano's son."

In the acknowledgments, T.J. English indicates that he viewed other 8-millimeter home movies taken in Havana by Frank Ragano. Presumably the footage isn't entirely of the sex clubs...and it would be an interesting glimpse into late-1950's Havana if the footage is any good.

I have not read Ragano's book. Does anyone know if he mentions the existence of the "Superman" home movie in his own book?

Also, if you were T.J English and you were on the way to Chris Ragano's house to see home movies like this...do you pick-up a pizza and beer?

tony b.

Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 06/21/12 10:06 PM

It is an amazing book.
Posted By: OldSmoke

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 06/21/12 10:43 PM

Great book. I like English's stuff...and if I were him, yeah I would pick up pizza and beer.
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 06/21/12 11:04 PM

How is "Sally Burns" completely mssing from the book? Thom Jones says he was "the mob's point man in Cuba", if that is true how is he missing from thie book. I know he was one of the owners of the racetrack.
Posted By: Vigil

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 02/12/13 05:15 AM

I want to read that soon. Is Jack Ruby mentioned in it?
Posted By: ScottD

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 02/12/13 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: YoTonyB
I'm reading Havana Nocturne by T.J. English and it's a good read! I bought the book primarily because of his willingness to document his sources by footnoting virtually every factual statement made throughout the entire book. Whether or not his sources are reliable is a discussion for another day...

One of the more compelling stories involves Frank Ragano who was visiting Santo Trafficante in Havana in 1958. Ragano was Trafficante's attorney and later authored the book "Mob Lawyer." Trafficante took Ragano to one of the live sex shows that just happened to feature the real-life "Superman", famously showcased in GFII when Fredo arranges a night on the town for his brother Michael, Sen. Geary and others in Havana.

According to the book, "Ragano asked if he could use his Super-8-millimeter camera to film the show. Using existing light, the lawyer captured Superman on film. The finished product is grainy and dark, but in a room surrounded by paintings of nudes, Superman's appendage is on display. He and the women followed the same routine as before. It is the only known footage of Cuba's most renowned sex performer from the era of the Havana Mob."

And according to the footnotes, "Footage of the famous Havana sex performer -- made by Frank Ragano in 1958 -- was viewed by the author on March 1, 2007, in Tampa, courtesy of Chris Ragano, Frank Ragano's son."

In the acknowledgments, T.J. English indicates that he viewed other 8-millimeter home movies taken in Havana by Frank Ragano. Presumably the footage isn't entirely of the sex clubs...and it would be an interesting glimpse into late-1950's Havana if the footage is any good.

I have not read Ragano's book. Does anyone know if he mentions the existence of the "Superman" home movie in his own book?

Also, if you were T.J English and you were on the way to Chris Ragano's house to see home movies like this...do you pick-up a pizza and beer?

tony b.

I live near and talk with Chris Ragano for time to time and I still forget to ask to see them. I might email him today.

PIzza and Cigar City beer (local brewery)

Frank mentions it briefly from what I recall.
Posted By: EastHarlemItal

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 02/12/13 06:22 PM

Thought it was a great read!

This English is almost as good as that Silent Don author!

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 02/12/13 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: danielperrygin
How is "Sally Burns" completely mssing from the book? Thom Jones says he was "the mob's point man in Cuba", if that is true how is he missing from thie book. I know he was one of the owners of the racetrack.

I would argue that Granello was but one of many mob figures with financial interests in Havana and not a majorly significant figure.

Among his interests in Havana was a cigar concession at the Sevilla Biltmore.

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 02/12/13 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal
Thought it was a great read!

This English is almost as good as that Silent Don author!

LOL. One of the cooler things that happened as a result of my books has been becoming friends with TJ English, a HUGE influence on my writing.
Posted By: EastHarlemItal

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 02/12/13 06:26 PM

Scott you know that was a Pinellas insider joke. Both of you deserve much applause. Still waiting for our lunch and my signed copies!
Posted By: cheech

Re: "Havana Nocturne" bibliography notation. - 02/14/13 12:55 AM

Reading this now, pretty good so far
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET