Home

Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia

Posted By: GerryLang

Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 12:15 PM

This was one of the top stories on the BBC news channel this morning. The mayor of Brindisi is blaming it on the local mafia, the school is named after the wife of Giovanni Falcone. I can't see the mafia gaining anything from this, could be a false flag attack, as Italy is broke and facing financial disaster. Two girls have been killed and a couple other injured.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18128170
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 12:25 PM

Thanks for sharing Gerry.. The Italian mafias have a long history of violence, but this seems crazy. Even the mafia wouldnt take part in bombing a school..
Posted By: short841

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 12:50 PM

It was not in Sicily. It was the sacra corona unita mafia who have been linked to it smile http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16231122 . But it's disgusting if the mafia was involved. Disgusting anyhow

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: short841
It was not in Sicily. It was the sacra corona unita mafia who have been linked to it smile http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16231122 . But it's disgusting if the mafia was involved. Disgusting anyhow

That is my mistake, I thought they mentioned it was in Sicily on the BBC. The mayor quick reaction to blame it on the mafia makes me think this might be a false flag operation, or something pulled off by another group, Italy did throw Gaddafi under the bus.
Posted By: carmela

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 01:54 PM

School is named after Falcone's wife as mentioned. 20th anniversary of Falcone and his wife's death coming up on Wednesday, May 23. They expect a few of these things to happen throughout the country nearing the 20th anniversary mark.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: GerryLang
[quote=short841] The mayor quick reaction to blame it on the mafia makes me think this might be a false flag operation, or something pulled off by another group, Italy did throw Gaddafi under the bus.

Italy doesn't do these things. If they think it's the mafia, they say so, and it is. They don't play around with this false flag stuff.
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 02:49 PM

That is my mistake, I thought they mentioned it was in Sicily on the BBC. The mayor quick reaction to blame it on the mafia makes me think this might be a false flag operation, or something pulled off by another group, Italy did throw Gaddafi under the bus.

if it was terrorists they would have gone after a better target than some random school in the puglian region.
Wonder why the sacra corona people would do it.I didn't think that falcone targeted them in any prosecutions.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Scorsese

Wonder why the sacra corona people would do it.I didn't think that falcone targeted them in any prosecutions.

Because they're in that region. You're not going to have Sicilians come way up there to carry out some bombing in an all girl vocational school. If the sicilians want to carry something out to mark the anniversary, they'll do it on their own turf so to speak.
Makes no difference if they were targeted in prosecutions or not. The magistrates were hated equally by all the mafias for imposing article 41-bis on those prisoners indicted among other things.
Posted By: TonyG

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 02:57 PM

Demented! If this is the work of Sacra Corona and or the Mafia (or anyone else for that matter) it just goes to show the long, twisted memory and perverse thought patterns within these criminal organizations.

I hope they catch the perps and throw away the keys.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 03:01 PM

No matter what, if it was carried out by SCU, it came up from the Sicilians. They would have been pulling the strings behind this.

Who knows. Maybe last week when Provenzano made that phony attempt to kill himself and the govt said he's possibly sending messages this way to mafia, it had something to do with this. Just saying. cool

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 03:07 PM

Nice Conspiracy Carmela wink but would the Mafia done it on May 23rd rather then today? Or maybe the SCU are threatening the authorities after the bust last week?

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 03:19 PM

Nice Conspiracy Carmela wink but would the Mafia done it on May 23rd rather then today? Or maybe the SCU are threatening the authorities after the bust last week?

This whole time right now on through July when Borsellino was murdered are referred to as the Capaci Massacres. So, if this is what it's all about, then it could be from now all through July. If that's what it's about.

Bust last week is another possibility and hitting a school is something of a symbol for the mafia, albeit disgusting. They have a saying in Italy "La mafia teme piu la scuola che la giustizia" meaning The mafia fears school more than justice.

Also, the exact timing of this bomb was intended to kill, as it was set for the exact time the girls would be arriving. That's the saddest part.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 03:22 PM

Could of been a mistake by hitting the school since the courtrooms are right next to it? But probs isnt. Whats that saying suppose to mean? don't understand smile. Do you live in Italy or have done or what?

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 03:24 PM

Could of been a mistake by hitting the school since the courtrooms are right next to it? But probs isnt. Whats that saying suppose to mean? don't understand smile. Do you live in Italy or have done or what?

No, I don't live there, i just know a lot about it.

The saying means the mafia has more of a fear of children getting an education and not having fear of the mob as their parents and grandparents did in the past, more than they fear the justice system. Without fear and with education, the mafia cannot thrive.
Posted By: Strax

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 03:36 PM

How awful is this,poor girls did nothing to them.They went too far.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 03:58 PM

Ah I understand now Carm, Thanks! and Yeh unfortunately they did. Should bring alot of heat on them which should be good!
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Brindisi, a bomb in school: a female student died - 05/19/12 04:28 PM

A crazy act, fierce, obscure matrix for now, even if the track privileged, is the mafia. Two bombs have exploded this morning in Brindisi in front of a professional institute in district Sant'Angelo named Francesca Morvillo and Giovanni Falcone, not far by the tribunal, causing the death of a sixteen year old student, Melissa Bassi, a native of Mesagne, in Brindisi. Very Serious a girl her own age in the operating room, for the serious injuries to the head, legs and chest-abdominal site. Seven other students were injured in the explosion and are now in the hospital 'Perrino' of the Apulian city. Two other students would be the in critical condition, having suffered serious leg injuries, and burns on most of the body.
According to the preliminary reports, The explosion happened at 7:50 of this morning, as students were entering the institution. The bomb, according to the leaked from intelligence sources, was placed on the wall of the school (and not in a rubbish bin for waste separation as originally hypothesized) partially occulted by a billboard and would consist of three gas cylinders connected by three different primer
For the time has not come any claim of this infamous act, but it is noted that the attack was made ​​on days on which marks the twentieth anniversary, the attack of Capaci, the judge Falcone. In addition, today is provided in the passage of the brindisino, Caravan antimafia. The data in the possession of the investigators would lean towards the runway when mafia on other hypotheses being studied by investigators. In Mesa, the country of birth of the student who lost his life, the night of May 4 and 5 had been damaged by a bomb the car of the president of the anti-racket of the city in the province of Brindisi. 9, the police operation had been performed, again in Mesa, which has dismantled an organization linked to the Sacra Corona Unita mafia. The operation, called 'Die Hard', led to the arrest of 16 people for Mafia association, extortion and drugs. On 8 May a group of politicians from Puglia, led by Alfredo Mantovano (PDL), was received at the Viminale, by the Minister of the Interior, Anna Maria Cancellieri, which had reported the crime alert in Brindisi. The request of the meeting was a follow precisely the bomb detonated in the car of the president of the anti-racketeering Mesagne (Brindisi) and a series of other criminal incidents related to the Sacra Corona Unita. According to prosecutor Marco DiNapoli "would be the first time the Sacra Corona Unita strikes in this way."

Re: Brindisi, a bomb in school: a female student died - 05/19/12 04:29 PM

But why you didn't put this in the thread that's already been started?

Re: Brindisi, a bomb in school: a female student died - 05/19/12 04:38 PM

I had not seen the post, Carmela and I can not delete the post, because you have already replied to the post, just as well now, that I keep the post

among the hypotheses to substantiate the thesis Mafia
1) The professional institute was dedicated to Giovanni Falcone and Francesca Morvillo, a short distance by the tribunal;
2) on May 23 recurring 20 years after the Capaci's massacre;
3) days prior to an operation called'' Die Hard'', led to the arrest of 16 persons for extortion, mob association and drug dealing;

Re: Brindisi, a bomb in school: a female student died - 05/19/12 05:10 PM

furio, one thing I don't understand is this caravan they keep talking about? Can you explain it for me?
Posted By: SC

Re: Brindisi, a bomb in school: a female student died - 05/19/12 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela
But why you didn't put this in the thread that's already been started?

I just moved this to the already existing thread. Both are now here as one thread.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 06:31 PM

What's "Caravan."
"We love travel, see, discover, so we started a voyage passionate and dangerous, difficult, but exciting. A journey to new hypotheses of existence, a journey that can give ideas, words, gestures, freedom." With these words, the movement was born in 1994, has since engaged to spreading the concept of education to the democratic legality, to support the victims of usury, extortion of protection money.

In a word to the fight against corruption.

The caravan as a journey around the time of change, torn between the desire to turn the page and the big concern for social issues.

"Organized crime and corruption are the major obstacles to the development, the agents of degradation that weaken the economies of entire countries,"
I think Carmela, that the mafia or the sacra corona unita wanted to give a clear message:
'' 20 years have passed but we are still here, stronger and more ruthless, the Italian State does not make us fear''
Posted By: m2w

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 06:58 PM

its a strategy of tension, the mafia did it in the past even worse like when attacked the trains with several dead in the 80s or when attacked rome, milan, florence and other cities in the 90s
this things happen when there is not a strong goverment and in italy there is a techich right now and when the mafia i under attack
i also think its the sicilians however startting this things, sacra corona probably made the bomb but the order came from seombody else
just see like riina brother-in-law is living in brindisi

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: m2w
its a strategy of tension, the mafia did it in the past even worse like when attacked the trains with several dead in the 80s or when attacked rome, milan, florence and other cities in the 90s
this things happen when there is not a strong goverment and in italy there is a techich right now and when the mafia i under attack
i also think its the sicilians however startting this things, sacra corona probably made the bomb but the order came from seombody else
just see like riina brother-in-law is living in brindisi

Totally agree.

And furio..thanks for that post explaining that to me. I think we all feel the same way about why it happened and who was the real group behind it.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/19/12 09:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EClK0t6Qc7E
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 01:42 AM

Italy doesn't do these things. If they think it's the mafia, they say so, and it is. They don't play around with this false flag stuff.

Uhm...actually...cospiraciy-wise, Italy is not second to anyone.
Do a quick google\wiki search of the Italian "anni di piombo" (the years of lead) and you'll be amazed that those things happened for real.

It's truly disappointing that Italy is the Mexico of Europe.

Anyway, for this particular case the SCU is just one of the many paths that the law and is investigating.
Italy has to deal with a bunch of secret criminal\political groups: left-wing terrorists, right-wind terrorists, anarchists (sadly, Italy is # 2 in the EU after Spain) and, of course, organized crime.

Even though OC stopped doing stuff like this because it alienates people. And the Mob needs to have people's appreciation and street-respect.

On il Corriere and La Repubblica it's confirmed that anarchist cells are also being investigated. Simply because the 41 bis a\k\a Carcere Duro (Tough Jail) is what keeps many terrorists or suspected terrorists in extremely hard conditions. It's an inner law of the 416 bis, the Italian RICO act widely used for mobsters, created by Falcone.

There have been many protests from extremists claiming the Falcone was a free mason and that he made this law to get rid of "free thinkers".

During the riots in Rome few months ago, many banners shown slogans against that law...most of the guys that took part of these riots (silly students aside) were allegedly connected to these groups.

The current political situation in Southern Europe it's a beast.

Anyhow, whoever did we all hope he\she\they get arrested and sent to life in prison.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: LuanKuci
[font:Arial]

Uhm...actually...cospiraciy-wise, Italy is not second to anyone.
Do a quick google\wiki search of the Italian "anni di piombo" (the years of lead) and you'll be amazed that those things happened for real.

I'm aware of this. But, I'm talking about today, the past 20 years since forza italia and the whole anti-mafia movement went into affect, when it's the mafia (and even when it isn't) the govt will jump at the chance to put blame on the mafia and show them for what they are. They would not sit on that info knowing it's the mafia behind it. Never.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 02:52 AM

behind a similar attack in italy can be only mafia or right-wind terrorists or a mix of them, mafia and right-wind terrorits had links in the past and they still have
anarchist and left-wind terrorits usually have more specific targets and they usually claims the act suddenly after
i bet nobody never claims this act like nobody ever claim other sluaghters in the past done by mafia or mafia/right-wind terrorits, the so called strategy of tension

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 02:53 AM

and of course politics or secret services are often involved behind the scene too

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 09:21 AM

if Italy have become the mexico of europe, it is only because of our politicians, in 1992 tangentopolies and Clean Hands, we could be reset the political situation, the old historic parties: the Communist Party and the Christian Democratic Party, which in its history has had many elected criminals in its ranks, we were dissolved, if D'Alema with the Bicameral of 1994 has took off the television of Silvio Berlusconi, we would have had a second republicthat was not a hypocrite photocopy of the first, but this did not happen.
after 1992, the Mafia has responded with bombs, but stopped Toto Riina, Provenzano began with the strategy of the dive.
Berlusconi since 2001, has plunged Italy into a dark period,
with the euro has been halved buying power, the lack of meritocracy, a failing state and wasteful, 120 billion a year of tax evasion, a caste of politicians full of privileges, while the workers starve and fail to make ends mese.in recently increased the number of suicides due to debts, with Equitalia (the agency that collects taxes for the state) targeted by attacks, and a director of Ansaldo, kneecapped, I do not know whether it was the mafia, the Sacra Corona Unita or the secret services or the anarchists or the right-wing terrorism, I just know that such a situation had not seen even during the years of lead, I hope it is not getting worse, but I have serious doubts about this.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 02:15 PM

Well now they seem to think it was not related to mafia at all, but maybe one individual.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16231588

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 02:18 PM

[quote=short841] The mayor quick reaction to blame it on the mafia makes me think this might be a false flag operation, or something pulled off by another group, Italy did throw Gaddafi under the bus.

Complete and utter bullshit. Your belief that Italians have the special ability to solve crimes without any investigation is assinine. Italy also has a history of of what could be considered false flag attacks.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 06:35 PM

Complete and utter bullshit. Your belief that Italians have the special ability to solve crimes without any investigation is assinine. Italy also has a history of of what could be considered false flag attacks.

Well that's not what I said and certainly not what i meant to imply.

What I am saying is if there is even a slight possibility the mafias are behind anything, the govt will say it right away. If it turns out to not be an organized crime group, they will correct it at that time. I wasn't talking about all crimes ever committed in the history of Italy ever.

Italy certainly does NOT have the ability to solve crimes without any investigation. Quite the opposite. They arrest now, even on mere suspicion, and investigate after. Guilty until proven innocent is the way they operate. But they will jump at the chance to show the mafia is behind a crime and won't hold back on that info. That's all I meant.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
if Italy have become the mexico of europe, it is only because of our politicians, in 1992 tangentopolies and Clean Hands, we could be reset the political situation, the old historic parties: the Communist Party and the Christian Democratic Party, which in its history has had many elected criminals in its ranks, we were dissolved, if D'Alema with the Bicameral of 1994 has took off the television of Silvio Berlusconi, we would have had a second republicthat was not a hypocrite photocopy of the first, but this did not happen.
after 1992, the Mafia has responded with bombs, but stopped Toto Riina, Provenzano began with the strategy of the dive.
Berlusconi since 2001, has plunged Italy into a dark period,
with the euro has been halved buying power, the lack of meritocracy, a failing state and wasteful, 120 billion a year of tax evasion, a caste of politicians full of privileges, while the workers starve and fail to make ends mese.in recently increased the number of suicides due to debts, with Equitalia (the agency that collects taxes for the state) targeted by attacks, and a director of Ansaldo, kneecapped, I do not know whether it was the mafia, the Sacra Corona Unita or the secret services or the anarchists or the right-wing terrorism, I just know that such a situation had not seen even during the years of lead, I hope it is not getting worse, but I have serious doubts about this.

And then people wonder why every year around 60,000 Italians move out of the country. What a shame.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 07:29 PM

60000 italians? where do they all go like? Switzerland or something?

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 07:35 PM

And then people wonder why every year around 60,000 Italians move out of the country. What a shame.

lmao. You would be so kind as to put up a source for this number?
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 07:45 PM

Despite all the stuff with organized crime, the murder rate is extremely low In Italy, even for Naples, Lower than Britain, Australia and of course America, so generally its a safe country, Iv'e been to Naples and found it to be a pretty safe place-if a bit dirty LOL. Of course I know it's dangerous for those involved in that life.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 08:05 PM

INMO Nicky i think its dangerous for anyone in Napoli. Have you seen the BBC documentary about the Camorra? Italies Bloodiest Mafia?
Posted By: SC

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 08:11 PM

In Italy, is it source or gravy?

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

In Italy, is it source or gravy?

Isn't this the never ending debate? grin
If there's no meat, it's sauce (salsa). If you add meat, it's gravy (sugo).

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/20/12 09:52 PM

Quote:
Despite all the stuff with organized crime, the murder rate is extremely low In Italy

its right, today the murder rate in italy is the lowest ever in the history, in the south its usually linked with the mafias humor that coz it was very high in the 80s with all the mafia wars at that time
places where organized crime is very strong and organized are usually safe, look at japan, hong kong
the 80s in italy was an exception coz the virulence of corleonesi

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 01:47 AM

I kindly appreciate you concern, even though I'm not known on this forum as a liar or a chiacchierone...

http://news.centrodiascolto.it/video/tg2...rano-allestero.

http://www.migrantes.it/

http://www.istat.it/

Sorry, couldn't find anything as reliable has these govt. websites translated in English. You gonna have to spend some time on Babel Fish.

Let me translate the core of that video: in the past five years the number of Italians abroad went from 3 mil. to 4.1 mil. This in 5 years, not 15 nor 50.

The area of origin of today's immigrants hasn't changed much: the first to move out come from Southern Italy and the Italian Islands (Sardinia and Sicily), followed by Northern Italians and then residents from Central Italy.

This numbers don't count those that (thanks for EU less strict immigration policies) are currently abroad but haven't officially changed their residency yet.

60000 italians? where do they all go like? Switzerland or something?

Good call. Close enough, since that Switzerland is # 3.

First is Germany, then the UK.

15% of current Italian immigrants have at least a Bachelor's Degree.
Even if the many Student Associations argue that the actual percentage of Italian graduates leaving every year is much higher.

Personally: I have 4 cousins in Italy (actually I had) one is working in Canada, one is studying in the Netherlands, the other two are studying\working in London. As far as my family is concern that's 4 out of 4 of the new generation.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 02:03 AM

And I kindly tell you that I have no concern for you, so we're good there. Asking for a source is not implying that you're a liar, so don't get it twisted. Just because someone may be misinformed does not mean they are intentionally lying.

I read Italian with no problem, my father and husband are born and raised in Sicily, so no worries on not finding anything in english.

I am interested how they can possibly know these types of numbers, when there are people like my husband that are citizens of Italy, living in the US as a perm resident only, and not a citizen of the US. As far as Italy is concerned he lives there, no? He is there 2 sometimes 3 times a year. Do they consider him a migrator?

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 02:13 AM

And I kindly tell you that I have no concern for you, so we're good there. Asking for a source is not implying that you're a liar, so don't get it twisted. Just because someone may be misinformed does not mean they are intentionally lying.

I read Italian with no problem, my father and husband are born and raised in Sicily, so no worries on not finding anything in english.

I am interested how they can possibly know these types of numbers, when there are people like my husband that are citizens of Italy, living in the US as a perm resident only, and not a citizen of the US. As far as Italy is concerned he lives there, no? He is there 2 sometimes 3 times a year. Do they consider him a migrator?

Yes, since that once you officially reside outside of Italy you should officially be labelled as an emigrant. Is he's enrolled in the A.I.R.E. (Associazione Italiani Residenti all'Estero)? That's one of the many institutions that oversee us.

But, as you'll hear from the video I posted with the sources, due to the current state of Italian bureaucracy, numbers tend to be not that accurate.

Thankfully, there are tons of associations of Italians abroad that help the Govt. with valuable info. Such as Fondazione Migrantes.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help or info.
Buona serata.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 02:18 AM

^^^ Very good. Thank you.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 02:22 AM

^^^ Very good. Thank you.

You're very welcome Carmela.

Oh...Almost forgot the A.N.F.E., Associazione Nazionale Famiglie Emigranti.
They can be helpful for info, documents, translations, etc...

http://www.anfe.it/

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 04:01 AM

INMO Nicky i think its dangerous for anyone in Napoli. Have you seen the BBC documentary about the Camorra? Italies Bloodiest Mafia?

Yeah its dangerous if your in that life, but trust me you feel more threatened in parts of London at night or Los Angeles.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo

Yeah its dangerous if your in that life, but trust me you feel more threatened in parts of London at night or Los Angeles.

I can't say about London, but Naples is an interesting town. I know a lot of napoletani, born and bread in the city and they've openly told me that there are some areas where they wouldn't even dare going. As far as Italy is concern Naples is the most dangerous city, followed by Milan and then Rome (even if these two cities are always neck to neck for # 2). It's compared to Tijuana, and the kids living in some areas have the same PTD of Baghdad's kids (read in a Repubblica article few years ago).

As far as LA I have to admit, it's not an easy yes or no. I've been living down here since last Spring and I've gather some interesting experiences.
First of, LA is a city made of cities, with different laws, regulations and security.
Sure, just like any city on the planet there are areas where you do not want to go, period. But the overall experiences that I've been living in West LA (everything west of Hollywood) is far from being traumatic or even Naples-like.

For the massive city that it is (LA County is about 12 mil.), I have to say that it's fairly good. Statistics and data back this idea up. It's not the city I wanna live, but I have to give it respect.

Overall, I fesl more secure in West LA than when visiting relatives in Milan (even the city center).

But this is me and my own experience.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 06:39 AM

Yeah Luan I hear you, I was on holiday with a friend in LA once and we got lost driving and ended up in Watts at night, and it seemed a bit of a threatening environment! My point is as a tourist in Naples I didn't feel threatened at any point, people were very respectful. In London it can be common to get pick-pocketed or mugged.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 09:11 AM

http://www.agi.it/in-primo-piano/notizie...on_giacca_scura

There is an identikit of the alleged killer, a man apparently of middle-aged ', wearing a dark jacket of light shirt, collar open, light pants, sneakers. And 'leaning against a wall. The left hand presses a remote control or something like that. Investigators believe he could be the assassin of Brindisi. The camera has fixed that moment, and 'that was installed on a kiosk selling drinks and sandwiches in the immediate vicinity' of the school 'Morvillo-Falcone', a meeting place for the students. It lasts one minute the video of the shooting.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 09:18 AM

I would like to clarify a few things to those of the forum, think that Italy is a dangerous country;
In short, Naples, Rome or Milan are like other cities where there are dangerous neighborhoods in the hands of organized crime, which is dangerous to go there as well as in Los Angeles, London or New York;
vannio many Italians left Italy because the lack of meritocracy does not allow him to find a job, despite graduates with excellent grades;
also the homicide rate is very low, and a situation like that in Campania in the late 70th and the beginning of the 80s which there were more than a thousand dead in a few years can never be repeated because the forces of 'order are more prepared and more active than 20 or 30 years ago, as well as for the 5 mafias is increasingly hard to find durable political support.
Posted By: ledblimp

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 01:07 PM

I've been wandering around Italy for two years now. I can honestly say that I've never felt threatened or uneasy anywhere. I spent a week in Rome and wandered some lonely streets late at night, away from centro, and never had any concerns. I've never been to Milan or Naples(wanted to Furio but no time left now as I return to the states the end of next month)but was warned many times not to go to Palermo, especially by myself,walked through many rough areas there but never felt the slightest unease. Probably the closest thing to unease was in Corleone as we got alot of stares but I think that was due more to the fact that we were obvious tourists and Corleone is'nt the easiest place to get to. IMO Italy is quite safe and better than most areas in the states.

The Brindisi bombing was awful but I think it was highly irresponsible for the local government,almost immedietly, to start blaming the SCU. I hope they get the guy and give him a slow painful death.
Posted By: TonyG

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 01:53 PM

I can't say about London, but Naples is an interesting town. I know a lot of napoletani, born and bread in the city and they've openly told me that there are some areas where they wouldn't even dare going. As far as Italy is concern Naples is the most dangerous city, followed by Milan and then Rome (even if these two cities are always neck to neck for # 2). It's compared to Tijuana, and the kids living in some areas have the same PTD of Baghdad's kids (read in a Repubblica article few years ago).

Luan, I realize this is your perspective, but I have to disagree with you on the comparison to Tijuana. The atrocities in Tijuana and other cities in Mexico occur on a daily basis. This incident is just as awful, but seems to be an isolated, more rare occurrence.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 02:06 PM

It's a shame such a young beautiful girl dies in such way. Hope the person who did it get's what he deserves. wink
Posted By: Chopper2012

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 02:41 PM

I've visited LA a lot and I've been to Napoli too, but I wouldn't even think about going on vacation to Tijuana.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 06:30 PM

Quote:
in Naples I didn't feel threatened at any point, people were very respectful. In London it can be common to get pick-pocketed or mugged.

although tourists are not killed in napoli (only a few in decades) its very easy being mugged in napoli, everyone who go there told me about and myself saw it its quite dangerous even for tourists
london is dangerous too but there is not mafia, more gangs and petty crimes at most
but if you took all the camorra-related crimes like extortions to every shops even the little ones and other tons of crimes you see that napoli is far more dangerous than london, for shopkeepers and everyone

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 06:39 PM

Quote:
It's compared to Tijuana, and the kids living in some areas have the same PTD of Baghdad's kids (read in a Repubblica article few years ago).

nah in europe there is not any city even close to tjiuana or caracas or other south american city, they are by far the most violent in the world
the difference of napoli, palermo and southern cities with the european ones is the daily extortions to every shop, enterprises etc. that put in danger virtually every shopkeeper

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 06:49 PM

Within Europe, places in Russia would have the highest homicide rates, I know Russia in the last few years was in the top 5 in the world. There's some real ruthless people over there.
Posted By: ciccogol

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 06:55 PM

Being that I live in London and have spent many months living in Napoli, I think that the subtle differences are important.
In London, the risk of being mugged/beaten up is a pretty one-dimensional aspect - either due to drink/drugs or simply running into bad elements at the wrong time of day in a bad area. Similar risks can be found in all urban areas the world over, including in Napoli, with low-level pickpockets, junkies hanging around the train stations looking for an easy target etc.

However, Napoli can present more of a danger than say London and other European cities on another dimension, simply due to the fact that it is in the grip of a powerful crime system. Whilst Camorristi are very unlikely to accost a tourist or even the average Neapolitan walking around, the presence is tangible and contributes to a different 'sense' of danger, which is why someone from Napoli can be said to be more streetsmart than someone in London. Walking around, knowing that the shops pay a pizzo and that all the African merchants pay up to crime bosses is simply not a mentality that I have encountered in London, where you just have to be wary for young kids who are trying to copy American hood films.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: m2w
Quote:
It's compared to Tijuana, and the kids living in some areas have the same PTD of Baghdad's kids (read in a Repubblica article few years ago).

nah in europe there is not any city even close to tjiuana or caracas or other south american city, they are by far the most violent in the world
the difference of napoli, palermo and southern cities with the european ones is the daily extortions to every shop, enterprises etc. that put in danger virtually every shopkeeper

Well PTD isn't something that people pick up for fun. If kids in the inner city got it, there is a reason. Plus, for Eurpean standard...certain places of Naples can easly be compared to those cities. Where entire neighborhoods are under the complete control of organized crime. They even have a surveillance system around the whole area. Kids working as spotters, and teenagers questioning anyone that enters (by foot, scooter or car) even if it's an average Joe Doe.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 08:29 PM

i was talking about murder rates and general violence... in caracas and other latin american cities there is really an atmosphere of civil war
of course in napoli and other southern italian cities there are suburbs more similar of latin america than europe but in the sense they look like real shitholes not because the violence, since camorra, mafia and company keep the violence usualy law except when they are at war eachother
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/21/12 08:54 PM

i cant comment on how dangerous italy is cause ive never been there, but the us i can. in new jersey we have so many violent cities, and by violent i mean that you have the opportunity to be robbed,assaulted ect for no reason other than the wrong place wrong time. places like newark, patterson, elizabeth, jersey city, trenton, camden, even asbury park to a lesser extent have areas that if you are white you are almost guaranteed trouble. another area that doesnt get enough regognition as a crummy area is las vegas. im talking off the strip. i lived there for a few months and saw so many assaults and robberies in my first week there that i knew it wasnt gonna work out and i slacked off at my job big time smile its real uneasy living in an area with so much crime going on at any given time that there simply arent enough police to deal with it all.
Posted By: Strax

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/25/12 05:57 PM

Raffaele Brandi one of the bosses of Sacra Corona Unita,sent message to killers,he said: we'll eat them alive.Im sure they are doing their own investigation.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/25/12 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Strax
Raffaele Brandi one of the bosses of Sacra Corona Unita,sent message to killers,he said: we'll eat them alive.Im sure they are doing their own investigation.

Some investigation. The guy was caught on camera already.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/25/12 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Strax

Some investigation. The guy was caught on camera already.

lol

That's a day late and a dollar short, Strax smile.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/26/12 10:58 AM

I hate to be one to toot my own horn, but I basically called the initial reports bullshit when they blamed the mafia. I'm not a know it all, but I follow the news enough to know that info coming out right after an event is usually wrong.

Re: Bombing at girls School in Sicily blamed on Mafia - 05/26/12 03:32 PM

the mafia could be involved in the bus targeted there was the daughter of an antimafia businessman
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET