Home

Mafia in Philadelphia

Posted By: Alexgg

Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 12:52 AM

Hello what you say about the current state of the Philadelphia crime family, in my opinion it is about to collapse. Am sure it is as good as dead.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 01:06 AM

collapse?why would u say that?

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 01:55 AM

Ligambi goes into the next time in the prison, Gaeton Lucibello is an informant, Scarfo forever in prison, Mazzone will not be long out there, Marty Angelina away, and Merlino and his gang are a joke. (Merlino coming out soon). greeting.
Posted By: Lenin_and_McCarthy

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 01:56 AM

Merlino is out.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 02:00 AM

yes 15 march

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 02:04 AM

There are rumors that Merlino in Florida is not in Philly
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 02:07 AM

the philly mob, while small compared to ny, has been able to weather the many, many inditments it has suffered over the last couple decades. it sems that the recent cases against uncle joe and company have been nothing more than a hiccup in the grand scheme of things.
Posted By: KCGizzo

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 02:27 AM

The guy that had brothers on different sides, Johnny Chang, is he off parole/restriction? Smart enough to lead? Are all those guys still in Philly even willing to take a back seat under Merlino? Merlino has a bloodline, but some that were "with" or looked up to him have been on their own for awhile.

Not all the guys under indictment are gonna get convicted. Monacello just looked like a photo op gangster who was gonna rat at his first indictment. Looking@ 8 years and flip? Feds better have a wiretap, b/c this guy is a joke, either way.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 02:40 AM

lucibello an informant? says who? please provide proof

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 02:41 AM

Alex I think you need to read up on the Philly mob and recent developments, Joey has been out and in Florida since last year...
Posted By: Salvie84

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 03:03 AM

The Philly mob is somewhat underground now. With Ligambi and two of his top associates awaiting trial it's unclear who will take over. Johnny Chang is too smart to take the top spot. Most of the smart ones dont want the top spot. It looks like Mazzone is in charge but he needs to be low key. He got caught on surveillance flexing his muscles to a couple guys which included Ligambi's brother. Keep in mind a lot of Scarfo era guys are being released but who knows if they will get back into the fold after doing 20 plus
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 03:35 AM

It wasn't too long ago that the Philadelphia family had only a dozen active members on the street. The point being, just because it looks like the end, and there's always somebody proclaiming that this is "it," it's not necessarily the case.

In the long term, you can see the writing on the wall with the smaller remaining families. However, it doesn't take a lot of guys to maintain the local bread and butter rackets of gambling, loansharking, and extortion. The complete "collapse" of the family is not imminent yet.
Posted By: joey_dice

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 03:40 AM

Everytime a family gets hit with an indictment someone screams the family is done. Philly is no where near done. Bosses dying, indictments, murders, they have been going on for decades but the mob survives. There is always someone who believes that this person, that person cant be done without. Truth is important and power members of many familys have gone away either, prison, death etc and the family survives. There will always be a mafia as long is there is someone who would rather steal than work. Philly, the NY familys, Chicago and probably Detroit and New England will be around long after most of us have passed on.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: joey_dice
Philly, the NY familys, Chicago and probably Detroit and New England will be around long after most of us have passed on.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The NY families, maybe. But the rest? I'm only 34. Assuming I live to an average old age (whatever that happens to be these days) I don't expect the smaller families outside New York will still be around.
Posted By: Boardwalkguy

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 04:28 AM

I say the so called Mob disappears, and we see more and more independent racketeers operating ! Iam sure the bookmakers in Delaware and Maryland didn't kick anything up ! Also the people in Reading,Harrisburg,Lancaster and KOP also didn't send an envelope down town !
Posted By: icegoodbarbPresident

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 05:01 AM

Now you can take this with your own beliefs but my theory is the 9 viable families left New York, New England, Chicago,Decavalcante and Philly will be around for the foreseeable future because they've been through it all rats,wars,rico, everything so a case like what philly is going through won't make it collapse.Obvisouly the families that are still viable are around because the mafia in these areas is still able to find members and have somewhat of a mafia culture there. Also though the charts are pretty accurate almost every indictment shows someone who is not on them
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 09:03 AM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

I don't know if I'd go that far. The NY families, maybe. But the rest? I'm only 34. Assuming I live to an average old age (whatever that happens to be these days) I don't expect the smaller families outside New York will still be around.

I think when you and I are old (I'm 32 - I wonder if you and I will still be dicking around on these boards in 2050? I know I ain't going nowhere lol) Philly might still be around given the seemingly inexhaustible supply of young Italian-American hoods there. But that's a big maybe. Personally I think it seems pretty unlikely. Chicago, New England, and the rest will almost definitely be gone.

The New York families will probably still be around, but they will be a lot different.

All I know for sure is that it's going to be a lot of fun watching this all play out.

Originally Posted By: icegoodbarbPresident
Now you can take this with your own beliefs but my theory is the 9 viable families left New York, New England, Chicago,Decavalcante and Philly will be around for the foreseeable future because they've been through it all rats,wars,rico, everything so a case like what philly is going through won't make it collapse.

Italian-American assimilation along with the legitimization of successful gangsters (resulting in their children not becoming gangsters at all) is what's going to kill the families outside of New York, not rats, wars, RICO; those things just speed up the assimilation by providing incentives to get the hell out of the life.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 01:16 PM

Okay I may have reached with Detroit, but do you really think Chicago will be gone in 40 years? I dont think it will be a fully viable family but I beieve that their will be active members and mafia activity going on. I think the familys on the verge of extinction now will be gone however, yes even KC. Somehow I pictured you much older LOL.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 01:27 PM

Philly, the NY familys, Chicago and probably Detroit and New England will be around long after most of us have passed on.

I think they will still be around, but more ethnically diversed.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 03:07 PM

Joey Dice, we have so many different groups operating in KC now, the Italians are just one of em, really fading into the stew. 50/50 on them surviving here. A few youngsters got caught on the gambling deal, but if that's all there is, they are gonna be in bad shape. The rest of their pool is assimilating or just too douchey to trust.

Sonny, the diversification will be the key to survival. The Ndrangheta are watching and waiting. They know LCN is dying out in the US. With diversification, or more a new age Luciano-way of embracing the money to be made from it, we could see a era in OC. It won't/can't happen. It will be a new group or conglomerate.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 07:47 PM

Okay I may have reached with Detroit, but do you really think Chicago will be gone in 40 years? I dont think it will be a fully viable family but I beieve that their will be active members and mafia activity going on. I think the familys on the verge of extinction now will be gone however, yes even KC. Somehow I pictured you much older LOL.

I honestly don't think the Outfit will be around 40 years from now. Why? Compare the present-day Outfit to 40 years ago. That trend will continue and, in all probability, speed up as the old timers continue to die off. And it's the same with the other smaller families outside New York. General attrition will be the main reason for their extinction, regardless of them surviving prosecutions, rats, infighting, etc.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 08:24 PM

KC if you read what I said carefully I said KC would be gone. But there are more young guys then the 5 arrested in the gambling bust.

Joe Pete Simone 35
Joe Patrick Balano - 35
Marcus Arnone - 30
The Renyolds twins - 25
Joe Scola - 25
Patrick Mangrasina - 35

Off the top of my head

BUt regardless they will be extint in 20 years,

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 08:26 PM

Food for thought IVY
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 09:16 PM

I honestly don't think the Outfit will be around 40 years from now. Why? Compare the present-day Outfit to 40 years ago. That trend will continue and, in all probability, speed up as the old timers continue to die off.

Agreed, the Outfit is doomed. I do think the culture of corruption in Chicago that helped it flourish for a few decades in the 20th century will probably still be around, but the Capone mob is now on life support. Some of the fortunes it made will have legacies in the form of legit businesses and whatnot.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 09:18 PM

40 years from now (2052) I could see the remnants of the New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Chicago families looking like how Pittsburgh is now. 5 or 6 old timers left, maybe some active, most not.
Posted By: m2w

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 10:03 PM

i dont think decavalcante family will disappear in 40 years nor being like actual pittburgh, there too many italians living there, i also doubt new england

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/03/12 11:49 PM

Yeah, I did. I said I'm 50/50 on that. If you read what I typed carefully.
Posted By: AmericanCrime

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/04/12 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Alexgg

One need not be in the area of interest to run a family, altho it helps.
Hell some bosses even manage from prisons to vary degrees of success.
But according to this. Merlino is very influential currently runnin Philly. If the authirities think it's viable who are we to argue? hehe

Merlino still runs Philly mob, court document says
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/149902935.html

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/04/12 03:23 AM

My bad, Iam so use to people telling me I am wrong lol......
Posted By: Nicholas

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/04/12 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: AmericanCrime
Originally Posted By: Alexgg

One need not be in the area of interest to run a family, altho it helps.
Hell some bosses even manage from prisons to vary degrees of success.
But according to this. Merlino is very influential currently runnin Philly. If the authirities think it's viable who are we to argue? hehe

I disagree with that article, he may get a lot of respect and some influence, but that guy does not run that family

It may be George Anastasia, but still, I don't buy it
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/04/12 12:57 PM

40 years from now (2052) I could see the remnants of the New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Chicago families looking like how Pittsburgh is now. 5 or 6 old timers left, maybe some active, most not.

Five, ten years from now, they gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five, ten years from now, they gonna mish John Gotti...

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/04/12 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Nicholas

I disagree with that article, he may get a lot of respect and some influence, but that guy does not run that family

It may be George Anastasia, but still, I don't buy it

Certainly not activily running the family over the past decade while he's been in prison. Only Ligambi was in a position to do that. Typically, that would suggest Merlino possibly having the official boss position and Ligambi the acting boss. But there was also that article that claimed Ligambi had the "acting" dropped from his title and was the official boss. But an indictment supersedes that, probably.

It seems the government is even trying to catch up here. And, considering the breakdown of the hierarchy for a small family like Philly, it's probably more grey than black and white. Some overlap in terms of authority and what not. For instance, Merlino wanting a few guys to get made but Ligambi basically saying, "You can make them when you get home."
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/04/12 07:32 PM

I'm only 34.

You're only 34, Ivy?

I figured you to be closer to my age (I'm almost 53). But I guess that's a testament to all the research you do on the subject of Organized Crime smile.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/04/12 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

You're only 34, Ivy?

I figured you to be closer to my age (I'm almost 53). But I guess that's a testament to all the research you do on the subject of Organized Crime smile.

Yeah, still relatively young, I guess.

Re: Mafia in Philadelphia - 05/05/12 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Five, ten years from now, they gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five, ten years from now, they gonna miss John Gotti...

i luv that line lol
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET