Home

Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger...

Posted By: NickyScarfo

Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 12/31/11 10:31 PM

I'm thinking: Did Carlo Gambino ever murder anyone himself? Or Paul Castellano? A lot of guys who go onto become bosses did dirty work coming up, these two and more perhaps may never have personally murdered. I think of the scene with Bobby and Tony from the Sopranos "You never did pop your cherry in that regard", in the olden days especially, was this something which made you a real respected mobster?
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 12/31/11 11:51 PM

I think some of them didnt kill someone personaly, but in most cases they would be a driver, or someone who set it up. Or maybe a reserve gunmen, but who knows what they did in the early 20 and 30s. It was very easy to kill and get away with minimum jail time, or not at all.
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 01/01/12 01:07 AM

This is a good topic. There is strong evidence to believe gotti never pulled a trigger and personally killed anybody. McBratney doesn't count since ralph galione was the triggerman. also gotti was a captain pretty much the whole time so he ordered a lot of deaths but didn't carry out any in my opinion
Posted By: Frosty

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 01/01/12 01:13 AM

Gotti did some killen wink but then when ya can have things done why not set and watch ! lol

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 01/01/12 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Frosty
Gotti did some killen wink but then when ya can have things done why not set and watch ! lol

I dont know about that. i have read a lot about gotti and i never saw one incident that he killed personally. Now he is a murderer becaus ehe ordered countless murders. But he never did actually kill someone. The two guys that was directly involved with was mcbratney which he was present but didn't actually kill. the second was anthony plate who he helped kill but willie boy johnson killed along with angelo
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 02:48 AM

When Gotti made the "brilliant" move of stripping Anthony Scotto of his Captain rank in favor of a nobody, it was because Anthony Scotto had never pulled the trigger, and thus was ineligible to even be made. And for the record, Massino says John Gotti personally killed Vito Borelli.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: BarrettM
When Gotti made the "brilliant" move of stripping Anthony Scotto of his Captain rank in favor of a nobody, it was because Anthony Scotto had never pulled the trigger, and thus was ineligible to even be made. And for the record, Massino says John Gotti personally killed Vito Borelli.

Massino actually killed Borelli.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 07:33 AM

My understanding has been, a guy didn't necessarily have to be the one who actually pulled the trigger. Participating in a murder in any way makes him just as guilty so he gets credit for it.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
My understanding has been, a guy didn't necessarily have to be the one who actually pulled the trigger. Participating in a murder in any way makes him just as guilty so he gets credit for it.

Thats true. But i think the topic was famous mobster who never personally killed someone on their own or from their hands

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 08:06 AM

Yeah like Gambino, Castellano, Scarfo, did they ever murder themselves? Its not a nice thing to say but I think it takes more toughness, balls or whatever to personally do the deed rather than organising or planning it.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 09:12 AM

I am sure Genovese did it, i am not sure about Bonanno. But like Ivy and me said, they must have participated in killings. And i am sure Anastasia, Tony Accardo did kill. Scarfo to, and i dont think Angelo Bruno has killed someone personaly.
Posted By: gemini_killer

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 10:29 AM

John Gotti had allegedly killed several people but all unconfirmed, like Tommy Desimone he apparently did that himself and did it slowly, (also read tommy agro killed him tho), John Favara he apparently chainsawed this poor guy after he returned from Florida (he was kept alive until he returned), Vito Borelli was apparently killed by John Gotti but on the Word of Joe Massino who by the way Gotti had called a "punk" and lol "a hungry whale swallowing anything he can get" so you never know... I also read that John had got iggy alogna to try and get Louis Dibono alive and bring him back to him, to which he would have certainly killed him himself - theres likely more but cant think, hungover uhwhat
Posted By: Nicholas

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 01:14 PM

Scarfo most certainly put bullets into people, and took lives in other ways --- that manslaughter thing that Bruno sent him to AC for.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 01:43 PM

When Gotti made the "brilliant" move of stripping Anthony Scotto of his Captain rank in favor of a nobody, it was because Anthony Scotto had never pulled the trigger, and thus was ineligible to even be made.

As far as I know, you don't necessarily have to kill somebody to get made. Moneymakers are more important than killers. It's always been that way since the beginning of the Five Families.
Posted By: bonanno

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 02:06 PM

i think Carlo Gamibno did...

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 02:36 PM

Robert Di-B Dibernardo and Tommy Gambino, were high ranking in the Gambino family - Tommy was a captain and i'm quite sure DB was a ranked a captain even though he never had a crew...I read somewhere he may have been made in New Jersey Decavalcante Family before being transferred to the Gambinos - when Paul was killed he apparently was made a captain for his assistance in setting big paul up...
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 02:56 PM

Let us not forget about Michael Franzese who claims he never killed anyone. Perhaps a little dubious but who are we to know?
And according to Vinny Teresa, Jerry Angiulo (the Patriarca Underboss) bought himself into the mob when taking over the numbers rackets in the Boston area.

Originally Posted By: gemini_killer
Robert Di-B Dibernardo and Tommy Gambino, were high ranking in the Gambino family - Tommy was a captain and i'm quite sure DB was a ranked a captain even though he never had a crew...I read somewhere he may have been made in New Jersey Decavalcante Family before being transferred to the Gambinos - when Paul was killed he apparently was made a captain for his assistance in setting big paul up...

GK, your quote is correct. After Terry Zappi died in 1986, his NJ soldiers came under the command of Mike Mondaglia who was made capo, while "Big" Chris Richichi (who was also made a capo) took over Zappi´s NY soldiers.
Robert DiBernardo, who had belonged to the Zappi crew as well, was also bumped up to capo for his support in the Castellano killing. Allthough he had no soldiers.
According to FBI documents that somebody posted here (I think it was Ivy, but I´m not sure), DiBernardo functioned briefly as an acting capo while Zappi was ill. A year or so before Zappi died.
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
Yeah like Gambino, Castellano, Scarfo, did they ever murder themselves? Its not a nice thing to say but I think it takes more toughness, balls or whatever to personally do the deed rather than organising or planning it.

Nicky Scarfo killed a guy over a seat at the Oregon Diner, he only did a few years for it thought. That is when Bruno wanted to have him wacked out, but Nicky's uncles saved him from death, but not banishment to Atlantic City, which was a wasteland at the time.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 04:04 PM

What about Joey Merlino? I know he was possibly the trigger man in the Scarfo jr hit, but what about other hits?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 04:08 PM

John Gotti had allegedly killed several people but all unconfirmed, like Tommy Desimone he apparently did that himself and did it slowly, (also read tommy agro killed him tho), John Favara he apparently chainsawed this poor guy after he returned from Florida (he was kept alive until he returned), Vito Borelli was apparently killed by John Gotti but on the Word of Joe Massino who by the way Gotti had called a "punk" and lol "a hungry whale swallowing anything he can get" so you never know... I also read that John had got iggy alogna to try and get Louis Dibono alive and bring him back to him, to which he would have certainly killed him himself - theres likely more but cant think, hungover uhwhat

Tommy Agro killed tommy and agro was acting on orders from gotti since gotti was a captain. John favara was ordered to die by gotti but gotti went to florida during the killing this way he would have an alibi. Louie Dibono was killed in his car by Charlies Carneglia
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 05:49 PM

Gaspipe Casso killed more than a few.

I'm interested in the older Dons. Genovese definitely was a killer, but I've never read anything about direct killing by Bonanno, Costello, Luciano, Lucchese or Mangano. Doesn't mean they didn't kill, just that I haven't read about it.

Capone, not a Mafia don, killed twice before he was 21, precipitating his flight to Chicago. There he killed with his own hands only once--a small timer who'd slapped around his bosom buddy Jake Guzik. He baseball-batted Scalise, Anselmi and Giunta, but they were finished off by Accardo and McGurn.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: JCrusher

Tommy Agro killed tommy and agro was acting on orders from gotti since gotti was a captain. John favara was ordered to die by gotti but gotti went to florida during the killing this way he would have an alibi. Louie Dibono was killed in his car by Charlies Carneglia

Well nobody knows when Favara was actually killed as the body was never found, so it is possible he was kept alive until Gotti returned... Gotti had a alibi for the time favara was kidnapped but killed I dunno... I think gotti is the type of guy that would wanna do this himself... Desimone I'd say you are right Tommy Agro killed Desimones older brother (rat fuck), and bragged that "maybe it's time to go for the Desimone Trifecta" which would suggest he killed Tommy too as well as plotting the death or the other brother left alive... But remember Desimone killed 2 of john gotti's close associates William Devino (Billy Batts) and Ronald Foxy Jerothe without the OK...something hot headed gotti would probably like to handle himself... also take into consideration that you can either believe one rat (Joe Dogs Iannuzzi) or the other (henry hill) - I think Gotti actually gave the Dibono hit to Pat Conte who could not get him, I also said that John Gotti had got Iggy Alogna "to try" and bring dibono back alive (he refused to show up for meetings, insulting gotti) however this was very difficult as Dibono moved constantly around New York and New Jersey and was continually evading the mobsters trying to find him... Then they got word he had work at the world trade center -Kevin Mcmahon was driving Bobby Boreillo was on look out and Charlie Carneglia walked up to Dibono and shot him 7 times (4 in the head) - all as I am saying as there are several sources of information and all of them come from informants, for example look at the Iceman (Richard Kuklinski)- this asshole claims he's killed everyone you can fuckin think of - Roy Demeo, Carmine Galante, Paul Castellano cant even remember all the shit he says he done that he clearly did not - I aint saying he aint a killer...just that he has took credit for more famous killings that he had fuck all to do with....

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 07:13 PM

Well nobody knows when Favara was actually killed as the body was never found, so it is possible he was kept alive until Gotti returned... Gotti had a alibi for the time favara was kidnapped but killed I dunno... I think gotti is the type of guy that would wanna do this himself... Desimone I'd say you are right Tommy Agro killed Desimones older brother (rat fuck), and bragged that "maybe it's time to go for the Desimone Trifecta" which would suggest he killed Tommy too as well as plotting the death or the other brother left alive... But remember Desimone killed 2 of john gotti's close associates William Devino (Billy Batts) and Ronald Foxy Jerothe without the OK...something hot headed gotti would probably like to handle himself... also take into consideration that you can either believe one rat (Joe Dogs Iannuzzi) or the other (henry hill) - I think Gotti actually gave the Dibono hit to Pat Conte who could not get him, I also said that John Gotti had got Iggy Alogna "to try" and bring dibono back alive (he refused to show up for meetings, insulting gotti) however this was very difficult as Dibono moved constantly around New York and New Jersey and was continually evading the mobsters trying to find him... Then they got word he had work at the world trade center -Kevin Mcmahon was driving Bobby Boreillo was on look out and Charlie Carneglia walked up to Dibono and shot him 7 times (4 in the head) - all as I am saying as there are several sources of information and all of them come from informants, for example look at the Iceman (Richard Kuklinski)- this asshole claims he's killed everyone you can fuckin think of - Roy Demeo, Carmine Galante, Paul Castellano cant even remember all the shit he says he done that he clearly did not - I aint saying he aint a killer...just that he has took credit for more famous killings that he had fuck all to do with....

I understand what you are saying. I'm not trying to discredit you in any way. I agree that gotti is a murderer. I'm just saying that I have read a lot of infor on gotti and he ordered many killings but he himself said that he wasn't a guy who carried guns. True i dont know what happened to favara but remember when he was abuducted he was shot so it isn't very liekly he lived too long after that especially since gotti was in florida for a few days. Tommy agro was close to desimone as you said he killed his brother so it made sense for him to kill him. Gotti enevr really neede to personally kill anybody because he was a captain pretty much right after he got made

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 08:15 PM

“Don't carry a gun. It's nice to have them close by, but don't carry them. You might get arrested.” you mean that quote by John Gotti, well I guess your right since he says he dont carry guns we should believe him... isnt this the guy who says "me, I know when to keep my fuckin mouth shut" while being taped? and as you said he never really "needed" to kill anyone - but did... I dont believe for one second that John Gotti never killed anyone himself since he became captain.. and as far as favara taking a 22 slug to the ass and hit with a bat (all unconfirmed) and not being able to survive for 2 days is bs...we will just agree to disagree my friend... I do think it would be risky to keep a guy for 2+ days for Gotti to come home but it has been done.... William Action Jackson lasted 3 days hanging from a hook up his ass and getting all sorts done to him...

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 08:21 PM

Well with all due respect you are telling me How do I know? The answer is I dont but you don't know either. maybe he did but from everything i have read and i've talked to a few guys in the department who are friends with my uncle who was on teh force that was involved gotti wasn't a hitman. gotti was a tough guy no doubt about it but he usually gave out orders. guys like anthony rampino,angie,willie boy johnson, and gene carried them out

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 08:34 PM

I never once said How do you know?, but your right I don't know - I've got my opinion and you got yours pal, and all due respect but unless your uncle and his buddies were street guys then they don't know either.... you seem pretty one sided about this so as I did actually say "we will agree to disagree" my friend rolleyes

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 08:42 PM

Relax man i was always respectful to you no need to be nasty. You are misinterpreting what i said. i wasn't mocking you i was just saying that neither of us know. I understand where you are coming from but you shouldn't jump to conclusions since i was being respectful to you

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 08:52 PM

I was never nasty buddy, you got it all wrong ... why dont you show me where I was nasty to you? if so I will apologize ...come on I understand what you are saying perfectly I just don't agree with you ...If you mean nasty by my use foul language when describing the mob then I'll stop ...no problem, I don't want any problems with you guy - I'm a new member with a big mouth whistle relax

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 08:56 PM

I was never nasty buddy, you got it all wrong ... why dont you show me where I was nasty to you? if so I will apologize ...come on I understand what you are saying perfectly I just don't agree with you ...If you mean nasty by my use foul language when describing the mob then I'll stop ...no problem, I don't want any problems with you guy - I'm a new member with a big mouth whistle relax

You seem to know your stuff and make good points and i was just trying to offer an opinion thats all. i never disrespect anybody i just think you misinterpreted some things which is cool. I mean i just try to be nice but i have no problem with you at all

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 09:05 PM

ok no problem salud, NOW GO HOME GET YOUR FUCKING SHINEBOX lol

only kidding pal - I'm a bit drunk, I'm usually a good fella wink

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 01/01/12 09:08 PM

lol You guys are good ! Why did I know that thar was comin cool We are a good family hare wink cool

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 01/01/12 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Frosty
lol You guys are good ! Why did I know that thar was comin cool We are a good family hare wink cool

Ya i didn't mean to get off the topic i was just a little surprised that all of a sudden someone was pissed lol. anyway back to the topic paul castellano is a good example but castellano was responsible for a shitload of people getting whacked

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 09:13 PM

ok no problem salud, NOW GO HOME GET YOUR FUCKING SHINEBOX lol

only kidding pal - I'm a bit drunk, I'm usually a good fella wink

No problem man i have the hangover as well lol

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 09:24 PM

what about Junior Gotti I doubt he pulled the trigger .. he has shot a couple of people but didn't kill em and never meant to either...

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 01/01/12 09:28 PM

lol He was just playen with his daddys gun and should have been .

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 09:36 PM

what about Junior Gotti I doubt he pulled the trigger .. he has shot a couple of people but didn't kill em and never meant to either...

Junior stabbed a guy to death in 1983. According to John alite he whacked a drug dealer a few days before he was made in 1988 and then drove back to see the body. One thing i can say for sure is that junior has killed more than his old man

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 09:46 PM

I don't really wanna go down this road again but come on .. are you serious... Junior Gotti has killed more people than his father?, I strongly disagree with that and I don't think alite knows his asshole from his elbow.. can you show me where your read that Junior has killed people?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 09:56 PM

I don't really wanna go down this road again but come on .. are you serious... Junior Gotti has killed more people than his father?, I strongly disagree with that and I don't think alite knows his asshole from his elbow.. can you show me where your read that Junior has killed people?

In 1983 daniel sliwa was stabbed at the silver fox bar. It was confirmed gotti was there and got into a fight with him. George Grosso was nother victim of junior. look I never said gotti never killed someone but he was not a member of murder inc lol

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 09:59 PM

Gotti was a tough guy but that doesn't me he was a hitman. I can name all the guys he was involved in murders with and i see only two that it was possible that he could have personally killed. when McBratney was wahcked in 73 at snoope's bar he and angleo held jimmy while ralph galione shot him. In August 1979 gott angelo and willie boy were involved in anthony plaet's murder in florida. Now maybe he did kill plate but it seems more likely that willie boy did and willie boy was also involved favara's murder. i'm not trying to start anything again i jst feel that i shouldn't lie about facts

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 10:12 PM

"According to the reports, Cennamo, who is also identified as John Cennamo in the reports, was one of four patrons at the Silver Fox who had identified Mark Caputo as the knife-wielding suspect who killed Silva, Caputo was assigned by Gotti Sr to watch over his son and on that evening left the Silver Fox with Junior. After Cennamo's death, the other witnesses either left the state or recanted, and the prosecutors dropped the charges against Caputo in 1985." - check it out..

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 10:18 PM

"According to the reports, Cennamo, who is also identified as John Cennamo in the reports, was one of four patrons at the Silver Fox who had identified Mark Caputo as the knife-wielding suspect who killed Silva, Caputo was assigned by Gotti Sr to watch over his son and on that evening left the Silver Fox with Junior. After Cennamo's death, the other witnesses either left the state or recanted, and the prosecutors dropped the charges against Caputo in 1985." - check it out..

I did check that out on friendsofours.com back in 2009. Junior said his father ordered John carneglia and angleo to kill cennamo and make it look like a suicide which is why he was hung from a tree. But this is all i am trying to say Gotti Sr is a murderer but he ordered all the murders but that still makes you a murderer

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 10:30 PM

Interesting , good info gentleman .

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 10:30 PM

so he didn't stab that guy to death then?, it was Mark Caputo according to four witnesses - 3 recanted or left the state and one apparently had depression lol..I agree Johnny Canig and Fat Ange would have done this no problem ...even if you aint the one who actually stabbed the guy, you leave with the killer and don't report it you still go to jail as if you were so his father was protecting his son.. even though it was caputo who killed the guy

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 10:34 PM

so he didn't stab that guy to death then?, it was Mark Caputo according to four witnesses - 3 recanted or left the state and one apparently had depression lol..I agree Johnny Canig and Fat Ange would have done this no problem ...even if you aint the one who actually stabbed the guy, you leave with the killer and don't report it you still go to jail as if you were so his father was protecting his son.. even though it was caputo who killed the guy

Ya thats the point gotti sr was also present in murders but he didn't actually kill anybody either. good info man

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 10:37 PM

[quote=gemini_killer]so he didn't stab that guy to death then?, it was Mark Caputo according to four witnesses - 3 recanted or left the state and one apparently had depression lol..I agree Johnny Canig and Fat Ange would have done this no problem ...even if you aint the one who actually stabbed the guy, you leave with the killer and don't report it you still go to jail as if you were so his father was protecting his son.. even though it was caputo who killed the guy

Ya thats the point gotti sr was also present in murders but he didn't actually kill anybody either. good info man. I think that Junior could have also been the killer. That case a lot of guys lied so either Caputo or Junior may be the one
Posted By: Mussolini14

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/01/12 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Gaspipe Casso killed more than a few.

I'm interested in the older Dons. Genovese definitely was a killer, but I've never read anything about direct killing by Bonanno, Costello, Luciano, Lucchese or Mangano. Doesn't mean they didn't kill, just that I haven't read about it.

Capone, not a Mafia don, killed twice before he was 21, precipitating his flight to Chicago. There he killed with his own hands only once--a small timer who'd slapped around his bosom buddy Jake Guzik. He baseball-batted Scalise, Anselmi and Giunta, but they were finished off by Accardo and McGurn.

I cant remember where I read it but IIRC Gambino said Lucchese was one of the best hit men he ever knew, even better than Anastasia because he was a marksman and always kept his cool never letting anger or emotion cloud his thoughts.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 01/02/12 12:01 AM

Thats true. But i think the topic was famous mobster who never personally killed someone on their own or from their hands

Exactly. It's one of questions that we can speculate on until hell freezes over.
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/29/12 03:48 PM

I don't think carlo or paul ever did does anyone know if the chin or amuso did?
Posted By: SC

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/29/12 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Camarel

Gigante would have but his aim was bad.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/29/12 07:08 PM

amuso shot and killed buddy luongo in the back of the head at a sitdown with casso as his first act as boss of the lucchese family
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/29/12 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: SC

According to pic chin missed on purpose. I will find th post and put it up, there is a couple telling of reasons why. Th main one is that Chin and Vito would have had to have been killed if they would have carried out the hit.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/29/12 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: danielperrygin
According to pic chin missed on purpose. I will find th post and put it up, there is a couple telling of reasons why. Th main one is that Chin and Vito would have had to have been killed if they would have carried out the hit.

Don't believe the "play-by-the-rules" bullshit. Mob bosses were getting killed left and right in the 50s without any retribution. Genovese's biggest mistake was picking someone who got rattled around the ring too often to do the shooting.
Posted By: leftygun62

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 12:40 AM

Was it really a mistake if Genovese got his desired result anyway?

I always wondered why Chin wasn't clipped for bungling that job, but if he did purposely miss he would have to be one hell of a marksman.
Posted By: GaryH

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 09:40 AM

Chins mistake was yelling at Costello just before firing, he should have just popped him and Frank would never have known what hit him!

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 09:55 AM

Please post if you find it.
I don´t understand the logic behind the failed hit, but it would be interesting to read the post.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 10:06 AM

I think the only sure are Angelo Bruno, who did a lot of money from illegal gambling and was a friend of Carlo Gambino, when the boss of the family of Philadelphia wanted to kill him, Bruno brought the matter before the Commission, it is thanks to Don Carlo became boss of the Philadelphia family, without, to kill the old boss.and Jerry Angiulo that in the 50s, promised and kept his promise to give to Patriarca, 100,000 dollars a month, in return he became a made man
Posted By: ImpactPlaya

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 03:47 PM

John Scalish Cleveland boss
Posted By: Joe_Bonanno

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 04:15 PM

Don Carlo worked as a hitman from a very young age, he killed people I'm almost 100% sure

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe_Bonanno
Don Carlo worked as a hitman from a very young age, he killed people I'm almost 100% sure

Where did you hear this out of interest?
Posted By: Joe_Bonanno

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 05:11 PM

I've heard it from one documentary when I find it, I'll post it to you.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 06/30/12 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ImpactPlaya
John Scalish Cleveland boss

Do you have any other information on John Scalish? I'd be very interested.

Did Henry Hill ever kill anyone? On a drunken Howard Stern appearance he says yes, three times but who know with him.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 06/30/12 07:28 PM

Was Scalish's real name Scalise?
Posted By: Ted

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 08:20 PM

I can't imagine any of the young Turks who became bosses not killing at least one person. Between the fight for the booze rackets and the war between Masseria and Maranzano how couldnt have they?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 09:06 PM

It was also a helluva lot easier to get away with murder back then Ted

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 06/30/12 11:29 PM

Exactly. And Prohibition lasted 13 years and everyone if them was a bloody one. Anybody who made it out alive had to have done it by the "kill or get killed" method. All those young Turks that became bosses had to have committed multiple murders.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 01:22 AM

I've heard it from one documentary when I find it, I'll post it to you.

Ok thanks was it when he was in the honored society in sicily ?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 01:24 AM

Did scarfo or ligambi kill anyone? If scarfo didn't that is very ironic lol
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 01:31 AM

didnt scarfo stab that guy to death with a big knife somewhere in a diner in south jersey? besides that, with scarfo i think everyone would agree that he ordered so many murders personally that it made no difference if he did it personally himself or not as he shared the same amount of responsibility as any of the murderers directly involved.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/01/12 01:36 AM

Ligambi allegedly was the murderer of Frankie Flowers D'Alfonso, but was acquitted. Scarfo killed that longshoreman with a knife in a diner (and was banished to AC for it).

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/01/12 01:53 AM

Ligambi allegedly was the murderer of Frankie Flowers D'Alfonso, but was acquitted. Scarfo killed that longshoreman with a knife in a diner (and was banished to AC for it).

What about merlino sorry for all the questions just don't know as much as you guys lol

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 02:13 AM

Don't believe the "play-by-the-rules" bullshit. Mob bosses were getting killed left and right in the 50s without any retribution. Genovese's biggest mistake was picking someone who got rattled around the ring too often to do the shooting.

Originally Posted By: "lucky7"

As far as Costello goes....Vito didn't intend to kill him,if he had,and Chin actually was the shooter Chin never succeeds in his ride to the top,instead he takes a 'ride' the same night one way.If the move was to kill him regardless of the shooter he dies if he was successfull.It was a delicate piece of 'work' by some one well trained not to kill him.
Costello's shooting was a bargaining tool.Nothing more,nothing less.It was also some very intricate political stuff,Alberts murder was Vito's give back for Carlo's support.Probably the other 3 bosses as well.

YUP!

1.If they missed the first time they should have been able to get the job done over the next 16 years.
2.The commission was all powerfull at the time and killing Frank means death to all involved.Vito died in 69.....Miranda when???Catena???Carlo???
Point being they all died of natural causes.
3.What is never written about is that they were on the 'mattresses' for a year or so before the shooting.Very uneasy 'calm'.All the 47 and 54 guys laying low.Frank gets 'shot' and everything was put in place where it pretty much remains today.

Vito didn't have much of a fan club lol,what he had was animal instinct to survive and was a stone killer.He kills Costello he gets clipped.He lets Costello live he has a bargaining chip.

No more moves on Frank and no moves on him.Plus Carlo becomes boss and they become allies by attrition.

Vito doesn't get his just due.All the 54 guys were 'his' hand picked choices.Frank was busy with the opera and Keafaufer.Probably the best graduating class in the history of Cosa Nostra....one foot in the past[tradition] and one foot pointed in a new direction.Vito bought in a Jersey guy as his under[Catena] and kept a mustasche as his consigliere as to not alienate the old guard and the NY guys.He brings in as his under a guy with so much money he didn't need the top spot and to much smarts to want it.....life without looking over your shoulder by design is a sign of genius.Plus he gets wired in nationally to the old syndicate,especially to the Jews who were shaping Vegas.Lansky was a Costello crony,Catena wires Vito in nationally where he hadn't be really welcome.He could blast through walls but using a door is easier,and Catena had the key.He was smart enough to choose Catena and that makes him a great boss if he never does another thing.Another thing is that Vito understood that a system of checks and balances is essential to maintaining power,so he created this shifting sands delegation of authority.I don't know if he sat down and planned this,doubt it.But in retrospect it is pure genius.He was dead 43 a month or so back and you can still reach into the well of the administration and find his thumb print all over the place.
Pic

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 02:48 AM

As far as Costello goes....Vito didn't intend to kill him,if he had,and Chin actually was the shooter Chin never succeeds in his ride to the top,instead he takes a 'ride' the same night one way.If the move was to kill him regardless of the shooter he dies if he was successfull.It was a delicate piece of 'work' by some one well trained not to kill him.
Costello's shooting was a bargaining tool.Nothing more,nothing less.It was also some very intricate political stuff,Alberts murder was Vito's give back for Carlo's support.Probably the other 3 bosses as well.

YUP!

1.If they missed the first time they should have been able to get the job done over the next 16 years.
2.The commission was all powerfull at the time and killing Frank means death to all involved.Vito died in 69.....Miranda when???Catena???Carlo???
3.What is never written about is that they were on the 'mattresses' for a year or so before the shooting.Very uneasy 'calm'.All the 47 and 54 guys laying low.Frank gets 'shot' and everything was put in place where it pretty much remains today.

Vito didn't have much of a fan club lol,what he had was animal instinct to survive and was a stone killer.He kills Costello he gets clipped.He lets Costello live he has a bargaining chip.

No more moves on Frank and no moves on him.Plus Carlo becomes boss and they become allies by attrition.

Vito doesn't get his just due.All the 54 guys were 'his' hand picked choices.Frank was busy with the opera and Keafaufer.Probably the best graduating class in the history of Cosa Nostra....one foot in the past[tradition] and one foot pointed in a new direction.Vito bought in a Jersey guy as his under[Catena] and kept a mustasche as his consigliere as to not alienate the old guard and the NY guys.He brings in as his under a guy with so much money he didn't need the top spot and to much smarts to want it.....life without looking over your shoulder by design is a sign of genius.Plus he gets wired in nationally to the old syndicate,especially to the Jews who were shaping Vegas.Lansky was a Costello crony,Catena wires Vito in nationally where he hadn't be really welcome.He could blast through walls but using a door is easier,and Catena had the key.He was smart enough to choose Catena and that makes him a great boss if he never does another thing.Another thing is that Vito understood that a system of checks and balances is essential to maintaining power,so he created this shifting sands delegation of authority.I don't know if he sat down and planned this,doubt it.But in retrospect it is pure genius.He was dead 43 a month or so back and you can still reach into the well of the administration and find his thumb print all over the place.
Pic

Are you reffering to me asking if the chin ever killed anyone?
Posted By: carmela

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 02:50 AM

Didn't "lucky" say he was retiring from posting... like...3 years ago? "I'm an old man, and I'm dyiiiiinggggggg." rolleyes

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 05:24 AM

Next to the old Petes I think Scarfo was the only mob boss (if not even across ethnic lines for the most part) who took part in murders or played an extensive part in planning some, i.e. Vincent Falcone, Alvin Feldman, Eddie Helfant, he also interrogated Joe Ciancaglini at gun point.
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 06:42 AM

i think that Frank Costello never pulled the trigger...but a lot of ppl where gone on his orders

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 05:31 PM

Unless someone is posting as him he is still around. He doesnt post alot unless to answer a question or say something of his interests. Him and wiseguy(no offense ivy jus filling tag in) kinda got into it and he hasnt been around much since then.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 05:45 PM

YUP!

Pic

Naw more to SC saying Chin had bad aim.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 06:08 PM

Naw more to SC saying Chin had bad aim.

I gave you my best answer to this and I stand by it. Believe it or don't; that's up to you. I ask one thing, though.... please use the quote feature correctly. It's hard to follow what you're trying to convey if used incorrectly. Thanks.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 06:13 PM

Thanks for the advice, personally i got no problem saying i dont have a clue what really happened. Just trying to offer up someones opinion i found interesting because it was different from the norm,not attack your post skip.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 06:42 PM

Unless someone is posting as him he is still around. He doesnt post alot unless to answer a question or say something of his interests. Him and wiseguy(no offense ivy jus filling tag in) kinda got into it and he hasnt been around much since then.

No need to fill me in. I was being sarcastic. I'm well aware of Lucky's come and go antics. He's made several "I'm outta here from now on, I will never post again" threads over the years.

Now on to watch my game. Forza Italia.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 06:48 PM

Lol i dunko why i felt the need to gossip, i know you really dont care.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 07:07 PM

Regarding Lucky7´s post, I don´t see any solid arguments backing up his claim. It seems to me that he is mostly rambling. I understand that he is expressing his opinion which is fine, but hopefully there was somebody overthere who challanged his assertions.

SC is right. Back then Gigante had a reputation of somebody who had been hit too many times on the chin. I guess as a former boxer, and not a very good one, contributed to this reputation.
Don´t get me wrong though. As a boss, he seems to have been as smart and clever as any other boss throughout Mafia history.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 08:01 PM

Everyone was against but you must think his thoughts are backrd up by events that occured. How do a Vito and Chn live if they kill Frank? If they really wanted to kill him why didnt they?

What do you consider a good boxer hairy? 21-4 not a decent pro record? He had a 2nd ko at MSG.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 08:08 PM

Gigante was 21-4 as a boxer. So he definitely wasn't bad.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Regarding Lucky7´s post, I don´t see any solid arguments backing up his claim. It seems to me that he is mostly rambling. I understand that he is expressing his opinion which is fine, but hopefully there was somebody overthere who challanged his assertions.

SC is right. Back then Gigante had a reputation of somebody who had been hit too many times on the chin. I guess as a former boxer, and not a very good one, contributed to this reputation.
Don´t get me wrong though. As a boss, he seems to have been as smart and clever as any other boss throughout Mafia history.

You pretty much said it. It's fine for pic/lucky7 to express his opinion. Though I'm not sure how he could really know that Chin missing was intentional. But, in any event, the problem comes that some people take what he says as gospel, and eventually, it's taken as fact that Chin really did intend to miss because, well, pic said so.

In my opinion, it's very unlikely that there was any intention to just "graze" Costello. How realistic is that? I think Chin had every intention of blowing Costello away.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 10:47 PM

Lucky7 is ok. I'm glad he hasn't died of cancer like he said he was years ago. I'll never forget when he said to me, "Tag, I want you to call me 'Bitch Tits Lenehan' from now on."
I laughed and told him I couldn't do that, it wouldn't be right.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/01/12 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Ted

Your argument doesn't hold water.
1. Pro boxing in the '50s wasn't exactly a clean sport. A young connected fighter's record may not indicate the true worth of the boxer.
2. Who did Gigante fight? Could've been a bunch of old club bums.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: carmela
Lucky7 is ok. I'm glad he hasn't died of cancer like he said he was years ago. I'll never forget when he said to me, "Tag, I want you to call me 'Bitch Tits Lenehan' from now on."

Philly actually started a thread with that title in the Sit Down recently.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Ted

Your argument doesn't hold water.
1. Pro boxing in the '50s wasn't exactly a clean sport. A young connected fighter's record may not indicate the true worth of the boxer.
2. Who did Gigante fight? Could've been a bunch of old club bums.

If those are the times he boxed in so be it, he is a winner. I hear what your saying but thats like saying Bonds was not a good batter because he was on the juice, well so were the pitchers. Chin had his connections and so did everyone else. Im sure Chin was gave a few and gave away a few, but its not like all 25 fights had big money that mattered on it.
Posted By: ImpactPlaya

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/02/12 01:23 AM

There isn't much on John Scalish (Giovanni Scalise)
But he rose fast in the family ranks.
he was a stick up man and took the rap for a robbery in the early 30's
He got a early pardon.
He was a lieutinent under Big Al Polizzi.
When Polizzi had made enough $$$$,he "retired" to Florida.
Because Scalish took the rap and didn't sell anybody out on that robbery of a bottling company,they made him boss at the Statler Hotel in Cleveland in 1944.
He was able to successfully merge business interests with the Jewish boys..Maishe Rockman, Shonder Birns.
But Dalitz, Tucker, Milano, already formed the "Combination" a decade earlier.
Scalish just did what was working well.
But after the Applachian Bust in 1957 with John DeMarco...Scalish decided to stop making new members. Closed the books. He had enough $$$$. Skim $$$,
casinos in Southern Ohio...gambling proceeds from Youngstown...his vending sevice....
At this time his health was slowly going south.
He moved out Kinsman Road(ghetto) in Cleveland to Gates Mills(Eastern Suburb) in 1964. Rockman and Lonardo moved to the same suburb.
Scalish was so well off,he gave the numbers rackets to Shonder Birns.
Intresting side note about Scalish.....the guys beneath him...Frank Brancato, Dominic Sospirato(Ange's cousin) John DeMarco, Anthony Milano all spoke in their old country dialects...Sicilian, Calabresian.....but Scalish didn't have a accent...I guess part of that being he was born in Cleveland.
I do know at some point Scalish instructed all his capos, and street bosses to drive Buicks instead of Cadillacs.
But Scalish was a very low key boss was very much in the shadows. He was close to Mickey Cohen and Jackie Pressers dad Bill Presser.
I don't think he imposed a street tax like that do in Chicago.
He lets all his underlings make their own money. Every earned under Scalish.
I don't he had "green eyes"

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: carmela

Philly actually started a thread with that title in the Sit Down recently.

Maybe great minds think alike. wink
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 02:07 AM

Its funny with pic/Lucky7/Lenehan/whatever. He's the only 'street guy' to my knowledge that really polarises people so much.

One of my first posts at Real Deal was a question asking him if he was Lenehan. I basically got attacked by the admin and backed down pretty quick since I didn't want to burn up my welcome there. Funnily enough, since then Ive had a bunch of PM's, some guaranteeing me that he is, some assuring me he is not. In any case, he's an asset, in that he was around some guys and can offer a degree of insight.

It's interesting that he never actually denies it too.

In regards to OP; I cant remember reading much about Frank Costello participating directly in any hits. Im waiting for his biography Uncle Frank by Leonard Katz to come in the mail. So if I read anything suggesting otherwise I'll ammend this.
Posted By: phatmatress

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 02:36 AM

don't listen to steve lenehan hes nothing but a gangster on a mafia forum. and yes pic is steve lenehan.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 02:42 AM

While we can only speculate in many cases, guys like Frank, Carlo, Paul, Chin, and even Amuso came from a time where it would have been rather unlikely for them to not have at least taken part in a murder in some way or another. I don't think one necessarily had to be the guy who pulled the trigger. Helping to dispose of the body, after the fact, is taking the same risk and showing the ability, more or less.
Posted By: jace

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 07:34 AM

Isn't it true that those made before 1957 had to at least take part in a killing, while those inducted post 1975 when books reopened were not so required?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: jace
Isn't it true that those made before 1957 had to at least take part in a killing, while those inducted post 1975 when books reopened were not so required?

I'm not sure there was ever really an exact cutoff, whether in 1957 or whenever. But it seems, over time, it became less of a requirement.
Posted By: furio_from_naples

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/02/12 08:44 AM

here is a list of mobsters, who have reached top positions without having ever pulled the trigger

Angelo Bruno
Carlos Marcello
Santo Trafficante, Jr.
Peter Milano
Jerry Agiuolo
Matthew Madonna
Michael Franzese
Nicky Scarfo Jr
Frank Gioia Jr
Bill Bonanno
Posted By: B_A_

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/02/12 09:23 AM

I'd say Tommy Gambino (the son of) never killed. At least not that I know of.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 10:53 AM

Everyone was against but you must think his thoughts are backrd up by events that occured. How do a Vito and Chn live if they kill Frank? If they really wanted to kill him why didnt they?

What do you consider a good boxer hairy? 21-4 not a decent pro record? He had a 2nd ko at MSG.

Sorry, I´ve read those numbers as 4-21. My bad.

By aimaing and shooting (even if only grazing) the boss, the damage is already done. Normally that should be more fearsome for the assailants than actually killing the boss.
Vito and Gigante got away with it because after the Anastasia hit, Costello lacked muscle. He promptly stepped down and allowed Genovese to take over. The wast majority of the Commission members sided with Genovese.

In my opinion, the Costello hit was a botched hit. According to Valachi, Genovese took to his Atlantic Highlands home with some 40 men around him, guarding him. And key members of Tony Bender´s regime hit the mattresses. I believe these measures taken, after the Costello hit, would not had been necessary if Costello had been killed.
I think Genovese read Anastasia pretty good. I think most of the bosses did. In addition to his wild temper, Anastasia was also regarded as naive and one sided. As long as Costello was still in power (and still alive), he would have had taken up arms defending his close friend Costello. Not even Genovese, I believe, would have wanted to go against Anastasia. In these regards intentionally only grazing Costello and letting him live, would had been a stupid move.
Besides, why shoot at Costello´s head in order to just scare him off if that was Genovese´s plan all along? A shot to the leg would had been much safer. In my opinion.
Posted By: Chopper2012

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 11:06 AM

I'm surprised Genovese didn't kill Gigante after the botched hit. He must have had a soft spot for the guy, cause Vito wasn't really the forgiving type.

In the end, he did the family a favor by keeping Chin around.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 12:14 PM

Thats what i am kinda trying to say, if they kill Frank its a war. If they scare Frank he steps down.

A shot in the leg is an insult, a miss to the head is a message/warning.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 03:12 PM

Thats what i am kinda trying to say, if they kill Frank its a war. If they scare Frank he steps down.

A shot in the leg is an insult, a miss to the head is a message/warning.

Genovese had desired the top spot for a very long time. And when you look at Genoovese´s original plan of getting rid of Costello, it seems simple but Machiavelian at the same time. Costello was not a threat to Genovese. Anastasia (who was a close friend of Costello and his muscle) definitely was.
But taking over the top spot from Costello by first killing Anasatsia would not have accomplished anything. The Commission would had been all over him and perhaps even punished him for killing a member of another Family without permission. But by killing Costello first and claiming self defense is somehow more justifiable in front of the Commission. After all, it had been done before. Members of the Commission, Lucchese and others who were allied with Genovese, would feel that defending Genovese would be the right thing to do. "Vito was only protecting himself..."
The Commission´s ruling would be essential. According to plan, it would go in Genovese´s favor and the ruling would have pacified Anastasia, the dead Costello´s friend. It would also have prevented him from demanding revenge.
Now, as it turned out, Costello survived the attempt on his life. He was still alive and very much able to confront Genovese´s accusations.
Here is when Genovese "fled" to his mansion with 40 or so men, and Genovese soldiers started to hit the mattresses. Genovese feared Anastasia´s wrath. Now was the time to fear war, now when Costello was still alive.
War never erupted though. Because majority of the Commission members sided with Genovese anyway and decided for the sake of peace (and other foolish transgression by Anastasia that had amounted) to get rid of Anastasia instead.

So it was safer for Genovese to kill Costello off properly than just sending him a warning. Are you following my logic, Danny?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
One of my first posts at Real Deal was a question asking him if he was Lenehan. I basically got attacked by the admin and backed down pretty quick since I didn't want to burn up my welcome there.

Interesting thing is that when I brought up that I had read Lenehan was known to post as Picasso the thread was quickly closed by the admin.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 04:10 PM

Vito and Gigante got away with it because after the Anastasia hit, Costello lacked muscle.

I've always had some trouble believing the lacked muscle argument. Why would Costello need muscle from another family to assure his position within his own family? If you ask me, that's kind of silly.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Vito and Gigante got away with it because after the Anastasia hit, Costello lacked muscle.

I've always had some trouble believing the lacked muscle argument. Why would Costello need muscle from another family to assure his position within his own family? If you ask me, that's kind of silly.

He wasn´t a violent man. He seems to have relied on Moretti at first, and then on Anastasia to "bodyguard" him, so to speak. He was def more of a talker than a doer.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/02/12 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ImpactPlaya
There isn't much on John Scalish (Giovanni Scalise)
But he rose fast in the family ranks.
he was a stick up man and took the rap for a robbery in the early 30's
He got a early pardon.
He was a lieutinent under Big Al Polizzi.
When Polizzi had made enough $$$$,he "retired" to Florida.
Because Scalish took the rap and didn't sell anybody out on that robbery of a bottling company,they made him boss at the Statler Hotel in Cleveland in 1944.
He was able to successfully merge business interests with the Jewish boys..Maishe Rockman, Shonder Birns.
But Dalitz, Tucker, Milano, already formed the "Combination" a decade earlier.
Scalish just did what was working well.
But after the Applachian Bust in 1957 with John DeMarco...Scalish decided to stop making new members. Closed the books. He had enough $$$$. Skim $$$,
casinos in Southern Ohio...gambling proceeds from Youngstown...his vending sevice....
At this time his health was slowly going south.
He moved out Kinsman Road(ghetto) in Cleveland to Gates Mills(Eastern Suburb) in 1964. Rockman and Lonardo moved to the same suburb.
Scalish was so well off,he gave the numbers rackets to Shonder Birns.
Intresting side note about Scalish.....the guys beneath him...Frank Brancato, Dominic Sospirato(Ange's cousin) John DeMarco, Anthony Milano all spoke in their old country dialects...Sicilian, Calabresian.....but Scalish didn't have a accent...I guess part of that being he was born in Cleveland.
I do know at some point Scalish instructed all his capos, and street bosses to drive Buicks instead of Cadillacs.
But Scalish was a very low key boss was very much in the shadows. He was close to Mickey Cohen and Jackie Pressers dad Bill Presser.
I don't think he imposed a street tax like that do in Chicago.
He lets all his underlings make their own money. Every earned under Scalish.
I don't he had "green eyes"

Here´s some additional info on John Scalish:

Scalish was born September 25, 1912 at Cleveland, Ohio as Giovanni T. Scalici. Father Francisco Scalici born Italy and mother Margherata Zito born Italy.

Scalish had the following criminal convictions:

Feb 5, 1931 Convicted of traffic violation City of Cleveland and sentenced to fifteen days in the City work house plus court costs.

Feb 18, 1931 Turned over to the Police Department in Ravenna, Ohio for bank burglary and sentenced to the Ohio State Reformatory.

Sep 9, 1931 Arrested by Cleveland Police Department as parole violator and returned to the Sheriff's Office in Ravenna, Ohio.

Sep 9, 1931 Convicted of robbery in Cuyahoga County, Cleveland Ohio and sentenced to the Ohio State Reformatory.

Jul 27, 1932 Convicted of robbery, Cuyahoga County, Cleveland, Ohio. Sentenced to the Ohio State Reformatory. Was released on appeal and finally sentenced to Ohio State Reformatory April 26, 1933 to serve a 10 to 25 year sentence.

Jan 14, 1935 Recieved Governor´s pardon and released from Ohio State Reformatory.

May 25, 1959 Conspired to commit perjury before Grand Jury Southern District, New York. Recieved 5 years and fines of 5,000 dollars. Conviction set aside by US Court of Appeals Nov 18, 1960.

John Scalish died on May 26, 1976 during heart surgery.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 08:24 PM

Costello didnt really come up in the family but Moretti had been by his side for years and was a "young turk" with AA. Frank was not a talker, he was the "talker". He died free, rich and at peace. Thats a lot better than most people he grew up and worked with.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/02/12 08:45 PM

Going back some: since Chin was 21-4 with only one ko, how many where fixed? Did he pay the judges, cause only one guy "took a fall".

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/03/12 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
here is a list of mobsters, who have reached top positions without having ever pulled the trigger

Angelo Bruno
Carlos Marcello
Santo Trafficante, Jr.
Peter Milano
Jerry Agiuolo
Matthew Madonna
Michael Franzese
Nicky Scarfo Jr
Frank Gioia Jr
Bill Bonanno

I know that both Bill Bonanno and Michael Franzese claimed they never personally killed anyone. And maybe they're telling the truth. But I don't know how we can be so sure for everybody on that list.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/03/12 09:17 PM

Going back some: since Chin was 21-4 with only one ko, how many where fixed? Did he pay the judges, cause only one guy "took a fall".

The mob made money on boxers much the same way as the mob did/do with "pump and dump" schemes on Wall Street. Having a boxer with, let´s say a 7 or 8 winning streak, the mob made huge money on betting on the same boxer to lose a match against a weaker opponent who average Joe was convinced would lose.
The mob controled the boxing industry back then and managed many, many boxers. Those boxers were told to take a dive, or lose on purpose, when it suited the mob.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/03/12 11:35 PM

So Chin's losses are most likely the mob cash in fights.
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/04/12 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples

Angelo Bruno
Carlos Marcello
Santo Trafficante, Jr.
Peter Milano
Jerry Agiuolo
Matthew Madonna
Michael Franzese
Nicky Scarfo Jr
Frank Gioia Jr
Bill Bonanno

I know that both Bill Bonanno and Michael Franzese claimed they never personally killed anyone. And maybe they're telling the truth. But I don't know how we can be so sure for everybody on that list.

I'm almost positive I've read that Angelo Bruno and Phil Testa gunned down a guy together in 1940s. Maybe it was in Celeste Morello's work? Can't remember, someone help me out here.
Posted By: PP

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/04/12 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
One of my first posts at Real Deal was a question asking him if he was Lenehan. I basically got attacked by the admin and backed down pretty quick since I didn't want to burn up my welcome there.

Interesting thing is that when I brought up that I had read Lenehan was known to post as Picasso the thread was quickly closed by the admin.

These arguments are still going on? I was a member of the RD back around 98-01 and that was the talk then. Some guy by the name of Batman was all over him. Telling everyone that he was Lenehan and trying to expose him. There were two groups back then, those that were 100% sure he was and those that were 100% sure he wasn't. I figured thos would have been figured out by now or at least dropped. I actually was surprised to hear he was alive, last I heard he was on his death bed.

I think people have reasons to protect him, i.e: so that he continues to post.

Are Smartened Up, LTH and Jilly still posting on the RD?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/04/12 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: PP

These arguments are still going on? I was a member of the RD back around 98-01 and that was the talk then. Some guy by the name of Batman was all over him. Telling everyone that he was Lenehan and trying to expose him. There were two groups back then, those that were 100% sure he was and those that were 100% sure he wasn't. I figured thos would have been figured out by now or at least dropped. I actually was surprised to hear he was alive, last I heard he was on his death bed.

I think people have reasons to protect him, i.e: so that he continues to post.

Are Smartened Up, LTH and Jilly still posting on the RD?

Smarten Up still posts on occasion. Haven't seen LTH or Jilly post in a while.
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/04/12 05:08 AM

LTH seems to show about once per year on average now.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/04/12 06:20 AM

The mob made money on boxers much the same way as the mob did/do with "pump and dump" schemes on Wall Street. Having a boxer with, let´s say a 7 or 8 winning streak, the mob made huge money on betting on the same boxer to lose a match against a weaker opponent who average Joe was convinced would lose.
The mob controled the boxing industry back then and managed many, many boxers. Those boxers were told to take a dive, or lose on purpose, when it suited the mob.

So Chin's losses are most likely the mob cash in fights.

Well, I was talking about mob connected boxers in general.
But Chin seems to have had mob connections early on.
He sprung up in Greenwich Village which was Vito Genovese territory through and through. A lot of Genovese guys and members of that Greenwich Village crew managed boxers from time to time. Tommy Ryan comes to mind. Tony Bender also managed a couple of boxers if memory serves me right.
Posted By: fergie

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/07/12 02:17 AM

There is a fair amount of literature accusing Carlo Gambino of actually carrying out the hit on anastasia. Not entirely convinced he did, but as was said earlier, in the 20's and 30's these guys killed for fun, The only one I'm not convinced about is Paul Castellano...Gambino gave him the title and, unfortunately, it was the bigest mistake of his long life - at least he made it at the end and not near the start! People say Gotti raised the profile too much but Castellano certainly pushed off in that direction...
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/08/12 08:22 AM

From what i've read i don't recall Meyer Lansky killing anybody personally..

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/08/12 09:03 AM

Originally Posted By: fergie
Carlo Gambino of actually carrying out the hit on anastasia.

Sounds very, very unlikely. Gambino was a high ranking member at the time.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/21/12 08:20 AM

This just popped in to my head. We can name like...7 murders that Carlo Gambino ordered and dozens of murders that Albert Anastasia ordered. But what of Vincent Mangano? Was he a relatively peaceful guy? His primary often called for terrorizing dock workers but I never heard of any of them getting hurt. Just wondering.
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/21/12 08:28 AM

he was a very shadowey figure,not many information about him...but since he was a don..his body count must've been very high,at least 10 ppl min. i bet
Posted By: TheKillingJoke

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/21/12 09:05 AM

I think the vast majority of the top guys definitely carried out some hits themselves. They where not loose cannons ( unlike Anastasia). That's why it may seem they never killed anyone.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/21/12 10:08 AM

There were several murder cases involving the ILA in Brooklyn during the 1930s and 1940s. Among them the Peter Panto murder in 1939. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Panto

Most of the killings were attributed Albert Anastasia, but let´s not forget that the ILA in Brooklyn was originally Vincent Mangano´s bread and butter. And as boss of the (early) Gambino Family, he wielded a lot of power in that racket.

Vincent Mangano´s younger brother Philip, seems to have been directly involved with murder, more so than Vincent. Well, according to his rap sheet. Philip was arrested in 1923 and questioned in the Giovanni Pecoraro murder. (Pecoraro´s son "Skinny Mike" later became a made member of the Gambino Family.) Philip was also picked up in 1924 and questioned in the Joe DiCarlo murder in Buffalo. (DiCarlo was the son of the former Buffalo boss Joseph Peter.) But none of this led to any charges or indictments.

Correction - Philip Mangano was questioned for the murder of a WITNESS AGAINST Joe DiCarlo. And he WAS charged in the Giovanni Pecoraro murder but acquitted.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger. - 07/21/12 04:47 PM

This just popped in to my head. We can name like...7 murders that Carlo Gambino ordered and dozens of murders that Albert Anastasia ordered. But what of Vincent Mangano? Was he a relatively peaceful guy? His primary often called for terrorizing dock workers but I never heard of any of them getting hurt. Just wondering.

Got a question for you barret. Did Anastasia come up under Mangano and this is why he was working the docks? Or did he just start working the docks and came under tye wing of Mangano who controlled the docks? Also did Mangano have much invlovment with drugs? You wouldthini he had to have some if he controlled the docks.

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/28/12 09:24 PM

Massino yesterday also named John Gotti as the triggerman in the 1975 hit of Vito Borelli, who'd made a crack about mob boss Paul Castellano's resemblance to renowned chicken man Frank Perdue.

http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/2011/04/nomerta-mafia-boss-squealer.html
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/29/12 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Massino yesterday also named John Gotti as the triggerman in the 1975 hit of Vito Borelli

Was he related to Henry Borelli in any way?

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/29/12 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Massino yesterday also named John Gotti as the triggerman in the 1975 hit of Vito Borelli

Was he related to Henry Borelli in any way?

Doubt it. Vito was Castellano's daughter Constance's boyfriend.
Posted By: strococs

Re: Huge Mob Figures who Never Pulled the Trigger... - 07/31/12 01:21 AM

to impactplaya you really think Scalish never whacked any one? or you just think he never pulled the trigger? I really think he would of had to be made back then. I am interested to hear your reply seems like a good subject.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET