Home

Sal Montagna shot and killed!

Posted By: Dapper_Don

Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 07:17 PM

saw this on the real deal forum here is the link

The man killed Thursday morning in a suburb north of Montreal is Salvatore Montagna, a man thought to be next in line to lead Montreal's mafia underworld, sources told QMI Agency. Montagna, who is originally from Montreal but grew up in Sicily, was interim leader of New York's Bonanno crime family.
He was deported from the U.S. in 2009 and moved to Montreal.
Montagna, 40, was nicknamed "the iron worker" because of the metal-working company he owned in the Bronx.
He played an important role in the fall of Montreal's Rizzuto clan, which until recently, allegedly controlled a large part of the city's organized crime.
His murder could be tied to the attempted murder last September of businessman and reported Vito Rizzuto associate, Raynald Desjardins.
Police pulled Montagna's body from a river north of Montreal Thursday morning after witnesses reported seeing a man running towards the water, diving in and hearing gunshots.
The man's body had laceration marks, police said.
A witness said he heard a loud bang followed by the sound of breaking glass.
"I saw a man running towards the river," said the witness, who did not want to be identified. "I asked him what he was doing, he didn't respond."
Another witness reported a white car quickly fleeing the area.
Police have established a large security perimeter around the area as the investigation continues.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2011/11/24/19015601.html

i got some pics of a whacked out montagna on my blog, they seem to not be going up here check them out below

http://fivefamiliesnyc.blogspot.com/
Posted By: yigido

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 08:28 PM

damn who the hell is behind this all
Posted By: ronnie_little

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 08:35 PM

Wow,I guess the conspiracy theories will begin.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 08:46 PM

Could this mean that Vito is striking back?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 08:57 PM

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/24/reputed-montreal-mob-boss-killed

thats a video of authorities trying to revive montagna it is kind of graphic

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:01 PM

hairy it doesnt have to be vito it could be others to like the calabrians or this desjardin guy.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:13 PM

apparently sal was trying to reorganize what was left of the rizzutos and was taken out for doing so prob by the cotronis or whoever it was

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: yigido
hairy it doesnt have to be vito it could be others to like the calabrians or this desjardin guy.

I´m not really that familiar with the situation in Montreal. But what is the general opinion? Is this a struggle between two warring factions?
Posted By: carmela

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:29 PM

I said it once, I said it a million times. Calabrians have taken over Montreal. Cotroni is at the top. Montagna was getting in the way now, apparently, and off he went.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:30 PM

Oh and for the love of God, somebody PLEASE tell JoeyCigars on Real Deal that Tag sends her warmest regards. He'll understand. grin
Posted By: eurodave

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela
I said it once, I said it a million times. Calabrians have taken over Montreal. Cotroni is at the top. Montagna was getting in the way now, apparently, and off he went.

I think you're right. Montagna was probably trying to reorganize the Rizzuto clan and he got in the way, as did Lopresti.
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:36 PM

Oh and for the love of God, somebody PLEASE tell JoeyCigars on Real Deal that Tag sends her warmest regards. He'll understand. grin

He's strangely silent on a thread that's already two pages long despite only being posted a few hours ago.

He's probably in a fetal position rocking back and forth, muttering "Not Sal. Not Sal. Oh God please not Sal"

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

I´m not really that familiar with the situation in Montreal. But what is the general opinion? Is this a struggle between two warring factions?

More like a number of seperate factions involved peripherally or otherwise, although the main thrust seems to be certain Calabrian elements.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: eurodave

I think you're right. Montagna was probably trying to reorganize the Rizzuto clan and he got in the way, as did Lopresti.

I know you're on Real Deal. You look up my username there: tagliafaccia (tag) and you'll see on those threads I have stood constant that Calabrians (Cotroni godfather) is behind the takeover, with some leftover Sicilians falling in line behind. A collaboration, but mainly Calabrian. I always maintained Montagna was NOT the man others were making him out to be. His getting hit was a long time coming.
He couldn't re-organize or take control of his own dinnertable let alone Montreal.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:44 PM

I know you're on Real Deal. You look up my username there: tagliafaccia (tag) and you'll see on those threads I have stood constant that Calabrians (Cotroni godfather) is behind the takeover, with some leftover Sicilians falling in line behind. A collaboration, but mainly Calabrian. I always maintained Montagna was NOT the man others were making him out to be. His getting hit was a long time coming.
He couldn't re-organize or take control of his own dinnertable let alone Montreal.

Yeah I figured it was you and I'm sure you know who I am. As for Montagna, you're absolutely spot on. He probably tried, but ultimately the Montreal men refused his leadership. I was even told a year ago before all the Montagna articles that he was rumored to be the new boss. I guess that didn't last long.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:50 PM

This is a real shock to me! So this ends the Bonanno era up there for good, he was the last strong link. I never have thought he would be shot, its clear someone stronger there viewed him as a thread.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mukremin
This is a real shock to me! So this ends the Bonanno era up there for good, he was the last strong link. I never have thought he would be shot, its clear someone stronger there viewed him as a thread.

Probably the Cotroni-Di Maulo and Ontario clans (Violi-Luppino)
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:54 PM

I can truly attest that carmela (Tag) and JoeyCigars were the best of friends. grin

God only knows how many debates, theories, and predictions this latest development will lead to...

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I can truly attest that carmela (Tag) and JoeyCigars were the best of friends. grin

God only knows how many debates, theories, and predictions this latest development will lead to...

Thats for sure, they were one of the few who believed he was going for the top spot and was still overseeing things for the Bonannos.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 10:00 PM

Obviously some reports have said that he was one of those trying to assert control in the new power vacuum. From my understanding, he was born in Canada but spent most of his life here in the U.S. before the feds kicked him out. That he - the former acting Bonanno boss - could possibly be one of those "in the mix" up there suggests there is/was still some kind of connection. Also, as I've mentioned before, the fact that Rizzuto said he wouldn't take orders from Montagna. What that connection is, is anybody's guess. And it looks to be in a continual state of flux anyway.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 10:02 PM

We can expect more bodies to fall.. thats for sure. I dont know how the hell it became such a mess up there, no way for us to figure out whos on what side. The shit wont clear up there for months.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 10:44 PM

Holy shit!

If this wasn't sanctioned by the Bonannos, you could expect some retaliations...

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 10:46 PM

The Bonannos cant do nothing about it, even if they wish. I dont think they would care if he was killed or not, business as usual and life goes on.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 10:48 PM

The Bonannos cant do nothing about it, even if they wish. I dont think they would care if he was killed or not, business as usual and life goes on.

Amen.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 10:55 PM

And which Cotroni would that be? Could you elaborate on this? What makes you think Calabrians are behind all this?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 10:57 PM

In Mafia Inc it's stated that Montanga was seen meeting with mafia members whom where suspected to be behind the killings.

This could very well be a retaliation.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:01 PM

Why could they not? Like I said before, it's not like they don't have the muscle. People lately seem to make the Bonannos as a mickey mouse family. They are still considered to be a viable organization. It could be that they wouldn't care though.
Posted By: John_W

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:06 PM

Hows you doing Carmela(Tag) long time no speak, no one on RD has heard from Joey yet, probably locked himself in his bathroom crying looking at his picture of Sal in his wallet.

For people that dont know me, im a longstanding poster on Real Deal and thought i would see how things are here

Regards

John W

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

And which Cotroni would that be? Could you elaborate on this? What makes you think Calabrians are behind all this?

I already said as much as I'll say on this. I don't like spitting out first names and yeah sure I could be wrong. All I was pointing out is my theories of Calabrian takeover with some Sicilians in tow, is what I still maintain. Little by little all things I've said over the last year+ have come to pass. And Montagna, for sure, had no chance of being at the top of this takeover. I know some see him as some mean badass mobster, whose intelligence is rival to none, but that is far from true.

Aaaaand as I have mentioned plenty times and will repeat once more... Giuseppe Big Joe Cun trera was nowhere to be found when Agostino was gunned down. Nor was he at the funeral. He was back in his hometown of Sicily. Doesn't this seem odd to anyone? cool
Posted By: Mick2010

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Could this mean that Vito is striking back?

I doubt it. There has been reports that recent events (i.e.- failed attempt on Desjardins, Lorenzo Lo presti killed, and even that stockpile of weapons Montreal police found earlier this year) happened because after the elimination of the Rizzutos was complete, the different factions involved couldnt agree on who would now be in charge. Police sources said they were expecting a violent autumn in Montreal and now it is happening. Looks like Sal tried to grab too much power.

To be honest, Im not surprised at all. For some reason, following the attempted hit on Desjardins, I had been expecting this to happen.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: John_W
Hows you doing Carmela(Tag) long time no speak, no one on RD has heard from Joey yet, probably locked himself in his bathroom crying looking at his picture of Sal in his wallet.

For people that dont know me, im a longstanding poster on Real Deal and thought i would see how things are here

Regards

John W

John...I miss you!!! Nice to see you again!! Yes, you are a very longstanding, and educated poster on Real Deal. I always valued your opinion. Mainly because it was in line with my own. grin They axed me over there, I'm sure you know. frown

My guess is JoeyCigars is on the next flight to Canada.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:14 PM

I already said as much as I'll say on this. I don't like spitting out first names and yeah sure I could be wrong. All I was pointing out is my theories of Calabrian takeover with some Sicilians in tow, is what I still maintain. Little by little all things I've said over the last year+ have come to pass. And Montagna, for sure, had no chance of being at the top of this takeover. I know some see him as some mean badass mobster, whose intelligence is rival to none, but that is far from true.

Aaaaand as I have mentioned plenty times and will repeat once more... Giuseppe Big Joe Cun trera was nowhere to be found when Agostino was gunned down. Nor was he at the funeral. He was back in his hometown of Sicily. Doesn't this seem odd to anyone? cool

In mafia terms, that means he approved. The question is why?
Posted By: John_W

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:23 PM

Regards

John W

John...I miss you!!! Nice to see you again!! Yes, you are a very longstanding, and educated poster on Real Deal. I always valued your opinion. Mainly because it was in line with my own. grin They axed me over there, I'm sure you know. frown

I heard about that, its a shame, a few of us asked for you but no go im afraid, maybe in time, at least it seems to be active here and most are RD posters anyway.

Some crazy shit still going on up there, i thought it was all done with the death of Nicolo, maybe this is the second phase to kill the people who try to step up.

Regards

John W

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:25 PM

In mafia terms, that means he approved. The question is why?

Maybe because from the so called "man of honour" perspective, he knew it was a legitimate act of revenge?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:30 PM

I think youre absolutely right. The Bonannos werent behind the taking out of the Rizzutos. Approval for the hit on old Nick came from Hamilton. No approval from NY was needed. When Sal came to Montreal the writing was already on the wall for the Rizzutos. Mafia Inc mentions that Sal had nothing to do with the 2 murders that happened within the 1st 3 months of Sals arrival (Del Peschio, Nick Rizzuto jr.), but that Sal could see that the Rizzutos had lost the confidence of the citys underworld, and he decided to join forces with the winning team. Seems like he was highly respected at that point and welcomed with open arms into the ongoing conspiracy.

Im only speculating, but it seems highly likely that he just got too greedy for power. He should have been able to work WITH the local Montreal mob and the other Calabrians, but he probably wanted total control, and it cost him. Just my guess though.

It should be interesting to see what happens next.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:34 PM

Good points, Mick. And to note, I've never read Mafia Inc or any other mafia book for that matter. But I've also said in the past that Montagna will sit back, and see where the chips will fall and then choose the winning side. Which is why, I always referred to him as a 'man without a family'.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:38 PM

One thing I was dead wrong on and I'll admit, is I said over and over there would be no more killings after Nick. I was wrong on that. Obviously. But maybe things took a different turn up there and made a change of unplanned events that involved killing others.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/24/11 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Mick2010
I think youre absolutely right. The Bonannos werent behind the taking out of the Rizzutos. Approval for the hit on old Nick came from Hamilton. No approval from NY was needed.

So you think that Montreal answers to Hamilton now? Why would they need approval from Hamilton otherwise? If anyone would have wanted Nick to be killed it were the Hamilton guys. I would imagine it would rather be the other way around; approval from New York.

Anyway, I was about to go to bed when I read this news. Too flabbergasted right now...
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 12:09 AM

Half the posts in the Montagna murder thread over in the Real Deal are Joey Cigars jokes.

I imagine he's got a Montagna memorial shrine set up by now, complete with portrait (that he painted himself) surrounded by candles.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 12:22 AM

Quote:
So you think that Montreal answers to Hamilton now?

No I dont think Montreal answers to Hamilton, but I do think the Hamilton families are now working much closer with Montreal, and possibly the Toronto families and the D'Amicos are as well. And maybe they have more of a voice in Montreal now.

Right now, it appears everything is uncertain with this war that is going on though. Who knows who answers to who right now.

Quote:
Why would they need approval from Hamilton otherwise? If anyone would have wanted Nick to be killed it were the Hamilton guys. I would imagine it would rather be the other way around; approval from New York.

Everything I have read suggests approval came from Hamilton. Maybe I should've worded it differently. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the order came from Hamilton, but thats the way its been worded ins some articles I have read. such as these 2 for example: http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/national/archives/2011/01/20110107-044313.html

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/national/archives/2011/01/20110108-070819.html

Local law enforcement seem to believe in the Hamilton theory. And they knew old Nick was going to be killed and warned him it was going to happen. I would think they have some pretty solid information if they knew of the contract well before the hit took place. If they knew of the contract, they must have some idea who was behind it. Of course I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that Hamilton sought approval from the Bonannos.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/24/reputed-montreal-mob-boss-killed

thats a video of authorities trying to revive montagna it is kind of graphic

this article was updated about a half hour ago. Some interesting stuff there, such as the theory that the Lorenzo Lo Presti murder was meant to be a message to Sal. Its definitely still unclear at this point who is on each side.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 01:10 AM

"Police sources believe there was a pact between Montagna and Calabrian-based ‘ndrangheta crime families in Ontario. Further, the Calabrian clans with links to Montagna have operations in New York which have been operating under the radar because law enforcement is focused on terrorism.

The first shots may have been fired by a coalition of Montagna’s clan and southern Ontario’s Calabrian groups, but police had been waiting for the response to determine who is on which side"

Very interesting........it also corroborates with the idea by Quebec journalists that Montagna was seen many times in Ontario.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 01:21 AM

"Police sources believe there was a pact between Montagna and Calabrian-based ‘ndrangheta crime families in Ontario. Further, the Calabrian clans with links to Montagna have operations in New York which have been operating under the radar because law enforcement is focused on terrorism.

The first shots may have been fired by a coalition of Montagna’s clan and southern Ontario’s Calabrian groups, but police had been waiting for the response to determine who is on which side"

Very interesting........it also corroborates with the idea by Quebec journalists that Montagna was seen many times in Ontario.

Interesting to say the least. Sal definitely had a pact with Ontario calabrians. Whether that pact was still in tact at this point, is the question. If it was, it will be really interesting to see what the response will be. Whoever was behind this could have the Ontario calabrians and the Bonannos coming after them. I just get the feeling we may see another attempt on Raynald Desjardins life in the near future. Just a guess though.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Mick2010

Interesting to say the least. Sal definitely had a pact with Ontario calabrians. Whether that pact was still in tact at this point, is the question. If it was, it will be really interesting to see what the response will be. Whoever was behind this could have the Ontario calabrians and the Bonannos coming after them. I just get the feeling we may see another attempt on Raynald Desjardins life in the near future. Just a guess though.

I think that the pact was put into place to get rid of the Rizzuto reign and give the Calabrians more access to the Montreal distribution network, as well as the Bonnanos.

That being said, Montagna didn't have the blessing of established Montreal mafiosi and once they were able to eliminate Rizzuto, all the allies started fighting over who would take over, hence Lopresti, Montagna and Desjardins.

The most important point of all this bloodshed was the removal of the Rizzuto hegemony. Now that it's been accomplished, the Calabrians will work with whoever is left.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 01:48 AM

Regards

John W

I, myself, wish David would reconsider with a few people. Sort of like a one-time amnesty thing or whatever. Tag, Maggio, Les Paul, to name a few. But Maggio got under David's skin like nobody I've ever seen. whistle

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 01:55 AM

Regards

John W

I, myself, wish David would reconsider with a few people. Sort of like a one-time amnesty thing or whatever. Tag, Maggio, Les Paul, to name a few. But Maggio got under David's skin like nobody I've ever seen. whistle

You're sweet wiseguy, you really are. I always liked you. And you're probably one of those really hot mormons. grin But... just speaking for myself, there is nothing to reconsider, as I never even once approached Dave about my ban. He perm banned me, no first time offense, no warning, no temp ban..just a straight up perm ban..and I accepted it. There is not a chance that I would lower myself to ask to come back or to accept an invitation to come back. It was a harsh penalty, but one I was fully prepared to accept if it came to it.
Since reading my ban message a couple months ago, I have never heard a word from Tommy or Dave..and yet, my life seems to continue. wink

Back to the topic at hand. smile

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 11:16 AM

The one thing I would say is that no one should underestimate the Bonannos.

A made man and high ranking figure of theirs is killed. If they didn't sanction it, they could respond just out of principle. These guys live by certain rules/codes, even today.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 06:00 PM

We will see what happens, i dont expect anything from NY.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 06:09 PM

I was reading in the NYPost how when Mike Virtuoso "The Butcher" was popped a while back the fbi seized a bunch of newspaper clippings of Bonanno mobsters he had been keeping- amongst those clippings where stuff about Montagna's deportation

I wonder how Montagna was viewed when he was Acting Boss in NYC, was he effective? I think he must have been a capable guy to be made Acting Boss in his 30s! Regardless of whether there was anybody left there is ALWAYS somebody older who is out on the streets that can be appointed.
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 06:36 PM

Does anyone think that this will create violence in new york?
Posted By: Mooney

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 06:37 PM

That video of the paramedics trying to revive Sal is badass. Looking dapper, shot and killed on thanksgiving morning, Blood in the snow.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Scorsese
Does anyone think that this will create violence in new york?

prob not

i wonder what capeci will say about this in gangland...
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/25/11 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Mooney
That video of the paramedics trying to revive Sal is badass. Looking dapper, shot and killed on thanksgiving morning, Blood in the snow.

You know how articles are always saying "it was a scene out of the Godfather" or "it was like the Sopranos"? This time, it really was!
Posted By: Mussolini14

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 12:43 AM

Why not? Montreal is by rights the Bonanno territory and I doubt TG will just walk away when tens of millions are are stake. Not without a fight he wont.
Posted By: LordSlickNutz

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 01:06 AM

I think he must have been a capable guy to be made Acting Boss in his 30s! Regardless of whether there was anybody left there is ALWAYS somebody older who is out on the streets that can be appointed.

Dapper, I concur. It probably help when he was closed to Vinny Gorgeous at the time. His Sicilian and Montreal links didn't hurt either.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 01:10 AM

Many observers reckoned the link between NY and Montreal was broken after the Sciascia's hit.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: LordSlickNutz
I think he must have been a capable guy to be made Acting Boss in his 30s! Regardless of whether there was anybody left there is ALWAYS somebody older who is out on the streets that can be appointed.

Dapper, I concur. It probably help when he was closed to Vinny Gorgeous at the time. His Sicilian and Montreal links didn't hurt either.

Back in the days it was quite normal for bosses to start young. Bonanno at 26, Luciano in his early thirties, Profaci, Trafficante, etc.
Posted By: phatmatress

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 01:45 AM

anyone think that the iron worker may have been hit by new york?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 01:47 AM

True that. Although it must be noted this was after a power struggle where a "new wave" took out the old guard of "moustache pete".

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Mussolini14
Why not? Montreal is by rights the Bonanno territory and I doubt TG will just walk away when tens of millions are are stake. Not without a fight he wont.

TG?

TG is too busy going back int he can with his recent arrest, besides with his daughters all over tv I think that made any boss ambitions he might have had out the window

unless the bonannos are that desperate to have him which i doubt

there are some other capable guys out there

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 08:02 AM

the funny thing is a lot of papers show vinny gorgeous' picture as salvatore montagna. and this turkish paper also says that montagna was the official current boss and not the former acting boss.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/planet/19323545.asp
http://america24.com/news/ucciso-mafioso-siciliano-ex-capo-della-famiglia-bonanno
http://www.corriere.com/viewstory.php?storyid=113992
http://www.antena3.ro/externe/familia-bo...rau-145342.html

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 08:32 AM

Slain mobster 'exported construction fraud'
Shot to death; No suspects found in Montagna hit
By PAUL CHERRY, The Gazette November 26, 2011

Salvatore Montagna, the reputed mafioso killed on Thursday, was very active in construction fraud in the U.S. and continued the practice when he was deported to Canada, an expert on money laundering says.

Jeffrey Robinson, the New York-based bestselling author of books like The Merger: How Organized Crime is Taking Over Canada and the World and The Laundrymen was not surprised to learn that Montagna, who was briefly the head of the Bonanno crime family in the U.S., was fatally shot in an apparently well planned hit as he was leaving a house on Île Vaudry, a small island just east of Montreal.

Robinson said Montagna, 40, was "a great earner" for the Bonanno family in New York when it came to construction fraud, which perhaps explained his quick ascent to the top of the organization despite being in his mid-30s at the time.

Montagna was deported to Canada in 2009 after authorities realized he wasn't an American citizen and had a criminal record for contempt of court. Montagna, a dual citizen, was born in Montreal and raised in Italy. For his deportation he chose to return to Montreal and, after apparently laying low for months, suddenly emerged in 2011 as someone police sources believe was eagerly seeking to take control of the Mafia in Montreal.

Robinson said he had learned that Montagna tried to apply what he was doing in New York to the construction industry in Montreal.

"I know he simply exported the construction fraud to Montreal. It was what he knew. He took what he knew and brought it to Montreal," said Robinson, who is often invited to speak to police investigators at conferences on money laundering in the U.S. and Canada. Last month, he was an invited speaker at the International Money Laundering Conference which was held in downtown Montreal and attended by more than 600 delegates from 48 countries.

Montagna, known as Sal the Ironworker when he was in the Bonanno organization, owned a steel company in New York.

The author said it is estimated that the five major Mafia families in New York take a five-per-cent share of all construction projects in the city.

"The Bonanno family was a big part of it," Robinson said while alleging the organizations were experts in overestimating the amount of workers or materials needed for large-scale construction projects. "From early on, the Bonannos saw a niche in construction. They were experts in inflating invoices."

During deportation proceedings in 2009, the U.S. government alleged that Montagna was the acting boss of the Bonanno family, a position he likely attained following three disastrous years for the organization. Most of its leadership was rounded up in 2004 as part of an FBI investigation, and its leader at the time, Joseph Massino, became an informant. This in turn led to the arrest of the next Bonanno leader, Vincent Basciano. Montagna assumed leadership over what was left.

U.S. court records indicate American authorities continued gathering information about Montagna long after he was deported.

On Dec. 2, Salvatore (Sal the Plumber) Volpe, 48, a man described in court documents as "an associate within the Bonanno crime family," is scheduled to be sentenced in a U.S. District court in Brooklyn in a racketeering case involving two acts of extortion, including one he carried out for Montagna.

On April 8, Volpe entered his plea under sealed proceedings that were only recently made public. According to his allocution, Volpe and Paul Spina, a soldier in the Bonanno family, were dispatched in 2006 to threaten a man who owed money to a legitimate company owned by Montagna.

"Paul Spina told the individual that if he didn't pay, I would be back to see him," Volpe said in court.

The other criminal act in the racketeering case involved orders Volpe said he took from Anthony (Fat Tony) Rabito, Montagna's consigliere, or adviser. Volpe said Rabito was concerned that an associate was withholding money the organization had collected for the many wives of Bonanno family members who were incarcerated in 2006.

"I told him that if he didn't get in touch with Anthony Rabito, I would be back to smack him," Volpe said in U.S. court back in April.

Volpe, who is a government witness, made headlines in New York tabloids this year when he testified in a murder trial involving Basciano. He revealed that a New York restaurateur paid mobsters $50,000 to avoid being killed for impregnating Volpe's wife.

On Friday, Sûreté du Québec Sgt. Benoit Richard said there were no new developments to report in the investigation into Montagna's death. He said autopsy results would likely be available on Monday. No one has been arrested in connection with the homicide.

Montagna is believed to have been shot as he exited a house on Île Vaudry and then, in an attempt to elude the shooter, jumped into a narrow section of the Assomption River which he swam across to nearby Charlemagne, a municipality near Repentigny. When police arrived they found him lying on the shore of the river and tried to resuscitate Montagna. He was declared dead after being taken to a nearby hospital.

Montagna did not reside in Île Vaudry and the house he was visiting was reportedly owned by a known criminal.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/toda...0820/story.html
Posted By: m2w

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 02:46 PM

that's a revenge of caruana-[BadWord] for the murder of agostino, it's like i said a war between sicilians... there's no way at this point any calabrian group is behind it where are the calabrians killed? we would seen a couple of them at least if they were involved they are not so strong to kill a caruana-[BadWord] and a bonanno boss with no retaliation

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 02:53 PM

So he was expanding Bonanno territory, and moving in on the construction business.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 02:54 PM

the funny thing is a lot of papers show vinny gorgeous' picture as salvatore montagna. and this turkish paper also says that montagna was the official current boss and not the former acting boss.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/planet/19323545.asp
http://america24.com/news/ucciso-mafioso-siciliano-ex-capo-della-famiglia-bonanno
http://www.corriere.com/viewstory.php?storyid=113992
http://www.antena3.ro/externe/familia-bo...rau-145342.html

Thats funny, dont understand how they could made such a mistake. Pretty sure they copied his name and searched for pictures on google

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: m2w
that's a revenge of caruana-[BadWord] for the murder of agostino, it's like i said a war between sicilians... there's no way at this point any calabrian group is behind it where are the calabrians killed? we would seen a couple of them at least if they were involved they are not so strong to kill a caruana-[BadWord] and a bonanno boss with no retaliation

So you're saying a Sicilian was behind the murder of Agostino? Now we're getting somewhere.

But, it's still a Calabrian godfather. (my most humble opinion, of course).

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 03:15 PM

yes it's a war between the bonanno's and the rizzuto's
the bonanno want to take the montreal faction
i'm sure that the latest murders lopresti and montagna is a revenge of the rizzuto
if the calabrians were behind it they had no reason to kill montagna who was an enemie of rizzuto

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 03:22 PM

For what it's worth, I said last summer (2010), right after Agostino's burial that it was a Sicilian that hit him. On the rest that you wrote, we disagree.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 03:27 PM

yes it's a war between the bonanno's and the rizzuto's
the bonanno want to take the montreal faction
i'm sure that the latest murders lopresti and montagna is a revenge of the rizzuto
if the calabrians were behind it they had no reason to kill montagna who was an enemie of rizzuto

Yes and no. Montagna was part of the plot to get rid of the Rizzuto clan but he mainly did that with support from Calabrians in Ontario and Montreal. It was a combined effort of sorts.

Montagna was also very close to other Sicilians and it seems he did not have support from the Montreal mafia.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 03:43 PM

i don't know why everyone thinks the calabrians are behind it they are not obviously, the calabrians in ontario has nothing to do with montreal they have not any power theremontagna was sure part of the plot to get rid of the rizzuto's but he did the mistake to kill agostino [BadWord] era with extremely powerful worldwide connections
yeah it's possibile montagna was killed by the same faction who did a pact to delete the rizzuto's but it would be the di maulo's who are not even calabrians

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 03:57 PM

I think it's safe to say that Hamilton is playing it safe and probably staying in the background and letting montreal work itself out. However you can't deny that Montagna had been seen making trips to ontario, he was probabaly going down to let them know he was making a power move and wanted their help or blessing, who knows what they said. They might be staying out of it and letting the war work itself out first.

You have Joe Di Maulo, Raynald Desjardins and Sal Montagna on one side and you have another sicilian faction (Rizzuto's, Caruana- C untrera's)in montreal all battling for power. In my opinion i think Di Maulo and Raynald Desjardins are not rizzuto loyalists anymore (just a theory). For the past few years we have seen rizzuto allies dropping, now it seems like they are fighting back. I would suspect you will see another attempt on Desjardins life and probably a hit on Di Maulo although it will be hard because their whole life from here on out will be in the rear view mirror.

I don't think the Calabrians are so much behind this as they are just sidelining, perhaps they are picking a side and offering help but im not sure. I think they might be just waiting to see who comes out on top. I certainly don't think they orchestrated all this though...no way. Montreal will continue to be a sicilian stonghold, it will never go back to the calabrians.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 04:17 PM

I think it's safe to say that Hamilton is playing it safe and probably staying in the background and letting montreal work itself out. However you can't deny that Montagna had been seen making trips to ontario, he was probabaly going down to let them know he was making a power move and wanted their help or blessing, who knows what they said. They might be staying out of it and letting the war work itself out first.

You have Joe Di Maulo,Raynald Desjardins and Sal Montagna on one side and you have another sicilian faction (Rizzuto's, Caruana- C untrera's)in montreal all battling for power. For the past few years we have seen rizzuto allies dropping, now it seems like they are fighting back. I would suspect you will see another attempt on Desjardins life and probably a hit on Di Maulo although it will be hard because their whole life from here on out will be in the rear view mirrow.

I don't think the Calabrians are so much behind this as they are just sidelining, perhaps they are picking a side and offering help but im not sure. I think they might be just waiting to see who comes out on top. I certainly don't think they orchestrated all this though...no way. Montreal will continue to be a sicilian stonghold, it will never go back to the calabrians.

That`s fairly accurate. The Ontario Calabrians have no interest in actually taking over Montreal directly. They have financial interests and drug shipment deals but all they care about is a reliable power source who can provide what they need.

The power has always been split in Canada between the two groups and they broker deals as to who will control what area, like it happens in Italy between mafia groups.

You said Montagna, Di Maulo and Desjardins are on the same side but it doesn`t seem so.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/26/11 04:29 PM

the ontario calabrians can't take over anything they are far weaker than montreal mafia
the bonanno's wanted to take over montreal again with the help of some local faction (di maulo?) who would answer to bonanno's in the future
it's possibile that after rizzuto's were decimated started a war between montagna and di maulo but it could be a revenge of the caruana - cun trera/rizzuto
Posted By: Frank

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/27/11 03:04 PM

I can t understand why a powerful family like Rizzutos failed to have a minimal reaction against their enemies. and is a reason why no one knows who's the enemy. The enemy has not had even one dead lol
why???

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/27/11 06:19 PM

there are tons fo explanations like they didn't understand who did the attack first or they were too weak to answer or some of the minor people killed like bruni, desalvo etc. where on the other side or even that cun trere was on the side of montagna nobody knows it for sure
Posted By: TonyG

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/27/11 08:15 PM

I am curious whose house Sal was at. Sounds of broken glass then gunshots followed by a run into the river suggests that Sal saw it coming.

Makes ya wonder if he was supposed to get whacked inside the house.

Anyone have any info?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/27/11 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyG
I am curious whose house Sal was at. Sounds of broken glass then gunshots followed by a run into the river suggests that Sal saw it coming.

Makes ya wonder if he was supposed to get whacked inside the house.

Anyone have any info?

One article I read mentioned that the tenant who rents the house is in his sixties and is known to police. Also said police cannot find this guy. Didnt mention his name though. Also mentioned that Sal broke a window to get out of the house.

You have to think he trusted the people he was meeting there, although he wouldnt be the first mafioso to show up for a meeting even though he thought he might be whacked. I doubt thats the case though.
Posted By: Joeycigars

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 02:35 AM

For what it's worth, I said last summer (2010), right after Agostino's burial that it was a Sicilian that hit him. On the rest that you wrote, we disagree.

My old buddy , Hey Sal is gone , But He was active you where way off kid

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Joeycigars

My old buddy , Hey Sal is gone , But He was active you where way off kid

What up Sybil? How are the voices in your head? None of them told you to put a gun to your head yet? That's a shame. I knew you'd follow me here eventually. I'm a hard habit to break, I get it. Just don't fuck with me. I got home court advantage.

I never said Sal wasn't active. I said he had nothing to do with the Montreal takeover.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 04:23 AM

Tag , You be surprised what Sal was up too , The news is he told Nick Sr step aside , Sal wanted to be Boss , And he was making moves

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 04:25 AM

Tag , You be surprised what Sal was up too , The news is he told Nick Sr step aside , Sal wanted to be Boss , And he was making moves

...and now he's dead, the poor bastard. Next.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 04:27 AM

And what news? The news is he told Nick Sr to step aside? What news? Link? He told.... lmao. What did he tell. Man you are funny Sybil.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 04:35 AM

Tag and JoeyCigars: Round 8!!!! grin

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 04:54 AM

Well I don't know if it's true or not but IIRC in the epilogue of the English version of "Mafia Inc" the authors claim Montanga had a meeting with Nick SR at which he told him to step down and his time was up. Again, not saying this is true or not, but this is what the authors of 'Mafia Inc' wrote.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 06:16 AM

heres the stuff about montagna meeting with nick rizzuto, its the last two pages of the book

http://www.amazon.com/Mafia-Inc-Canadas-Sicilian-ebook/dp/B004J4XA7S#reader_B004J4XA7S

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 06:20 AM

Speaking for myself, I'm content to avoid a lot of the speculation about the war and just wait for information to come in when it does.

That said, I've noticed that quite a few people here make the assumption that a big part of all this conflict is the drug pipeline between Canada and the U.S. Or, to be more specific, between Montreal/Toronto and New York. The thinking seems to be that the Montreal and Toronto guys have the product, because of their international connections, and so they are the suppliers to the New York guys, who don't have the same international connections, but have a market.

On it's face, this would make sense. Until one finds that the flow of drugs, at least when it comes to Italian OC, isn't going south for the most part. It's going north. And that's where it's staying. In other words, the Rizzutos and their guys in Montreal were smuggling cocaine and other drugs into Montreal and were distributing it in the local market there. Same for the Calabrians in Toronto. Except for some marijuana sent south across the US/Canadian border to New York and Florida, there is really little evidence of the Italians up in Canada - be they Sicilian or Calabrian, in Montreal or Toronto - importing drugs there and then smuggling it into the U.S. In fact, marijuana is the one exception, where most of it is going south from Canada to the U.S. But that's done mostly by Asian groups, bikers, and others.

Furthermore, I really have to question the claim made in one of the recent articles about the 'Ndrangheta operating under the radar in New York because law enforcement is focused on terrorism. If this were the case, how would the writer(s) of the article even know this? They get their information from law enforcement, not the other way around. A few years ago there was that massive bust, dubbed "Operation Reckoning" and "Operation Solare" that involved the Gulf Cartel, members of the 'Ndrangheta in New York, Canada, and Europe, as well as a few local NY mob guys, but that was largely about moving cocaine from South America and Mexico to the U.S. and Europe. Not to Canada and then into the U.S.

Finally, I have to at least question the size estimates made by some about the mob up there. If I'm not mistaken, the population in the greater Montreal area is about 3.6 million, making it comparable to Seattle or San Diego. And the population in the greater Toronto metro area is about 5.5 million, making it comparable to Philadelphia or Houston. I believe there are about 250,000 Italians in Montreal and another 200,000 in Toronto. Making both of them fall somewhere between Detroit and Cleveland, by comparison.

Personally, I don't have a hard time believing that the 100+ guys rounded up in the Project Colisee case between 2006 and 2008 were the bulk of the Rizzuto organization. It was certainly enough people removed to create a big enough power vacuum for the ensuing chaos to occur. And Italian authorities who cited the 7 'Ndrangheta clans in Toronto also cited about 40 people who made up the "Canadian cell" (or those 7 Toronto-based clans) of the 'Ndrangheta. And the Thunder Bay wing of things, at least until fairly recently, was said to be dormant. So I do have a hard time believing there are literally "hundreds" of Sicilian Mafia and 'Ndrangheta members in Montreal and Toronto. Or, frankly, in all of Canada.

From what I can tell, there is a hodgepodge of Sicilian and Calabrian OC elements up in eastern Canada. And both have had connections, or even members, in American LCN families in the past, which makes things more confusing. There certainly seems to be more of an "international" element to Italian mobsters in Canada, when compared to those in the U.S. And there are obviously still links between them. But it seems many tend to overstate those links, thereby conjuring up a much bigger and more widespread conspiracy. That's where we get into the theories about the Sicilians and Calabrians fighting over who will control the flow of drugs into Canada - and by extension - into the U.S. With a little decades-old payback thrown in for good measure. And it all being mastermind by the bosses back in Italy.

Well, I don't see it. The mob guys up in Canada may be more international than their American counterparts, but they seem to be as much Canadian as the guys in the U.S. are American. Some of them using their passports more frequently doesn't change that. They're local guys largely dealing with local issues within and between Montreal and Toronto, with more of an indirect and distant connection to New York or Italy.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 08:31 AM

Two cents? That a buck-oh-five at least.

Great points, and very interesting observation. Especially concerning the direction of drug flow, facts that are often ignored.

FWIW, that BC Bud seems to be the one drug that North America manages to make that's better then anything out of Mexico, South America or the third world.
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 09:41 AM

Even if they were moving their drugs into the states they wouldnt need to bring in any of the five families when theirs about a hundred other groups there that specialise in transporting the drugs across the border anyway. You can contract out to indo canadian gangs to transport drugs across for you because of their link to the transportation industry.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/speci...4f-f85dad8fffe2

http://www.turnto23.com/news/19860570/detail.html

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 11:46 AM

Interesting info IvyLeague, thanks for sharing it with us.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 02:46 PM

Great post, Ivy.

I've been away a few days and have very little to add, except that Montagna's murder received almost zero press coverage in the New York papers, which leads me to believe that he wasn't quite as newsworthy as they would have had you believe a few years ago (Bambino Boss, etc.).

I also tend to agree with Carmela about Montagna's general intelligence and leadership abilities. Let's face it, sometimes people advance in their chosen fields in spite of their intelligence, not because of it. Right place, right time and all that. Plus, writing about a 35 year old "boss" made good copy a few years back. Today, not so much.

And slightly off topic: If you look at Patty's Bronx crew from, say, ten or fifteen years ago?

Boy, if they're not a testament to the dangers of mob life, I don't know what is. The only one who's still alive and not jailed for life is Johnnie Joe, and he has at least ten years to go on his sentence. He's my age (I'm 52), so he'll pretty much be an old man when he gets out. And let's face it, life probably ain't gonna be pretty for him. As it is, his wife and kids are already crying poverty.

"This is the business we've chosen." ----- You got that right.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 03:19 PM

I believe there are about 250,000 Italians in Montreal and another 200,000 in Toronto. Making both of them fall somewhere between Detroit and Cleveland, by comparison.

If you firmly believe in stats it would mean that the Montreal and Toronto families would only have 50 members, comparable to the size the Cleveland and Detroit families once had.

However, that you could compare the size of the Italian community in Montreal and Toronto with Cleveland and Detroit doesn't necessarily have to mean that there would also be the same amount of Italian criminals. Ratios can differ from place to place.

Quote:
And Italian authorities who cited the 7 'Ndrangheta clans in Toronto also cited about 40 people who made up the "Canadian cell" (or those 7 Toronto-based clans) of the 'Ndrangheta.

So you're stating that the 'Ndrangheta families in Toronto have only 40 men in total? That would explain a lot of their supposed power. Could you direct me to the source which state this? I'm very curious.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 03:31 PM

I agree a lot with what Ivy said, and a lot of it's been said before (mostly by me, but I digress...). After Agostino was hit, after Nick was hit, people kept asking where is all the retaliation from their family back in Sicily. What? Come on. People just thought Caruana's and Cun trera's (wish we could fix that word on this site FOR REAL!) were going to fly in, left and right, to come save the day and start shooting up the place. I don't understand why. Yeah, they are tied to Sicily and yeah, they do business together globally, but Canada is Canada (eh?) and Italy is Italy. Whatever retaliations that would happen would have to come from whoever is up there now. And also as Ivy said, that numbers been overestimated.

And along the lines of what Pizzaboy said about Montagna not getting much news coverage...they barely even blinked an eye in Italy. It hardly made news at all and if it did, nobody cared. I know plenty people in Sicily didn't even know he was hit and who he was even. He's not the guy people made (make) him out to be. Get that..JoeyCigars?

Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 05:40 PM

Interesting info Caramela. So does that mean that Sal the Ironworker wasn't really anybody substantial? Does this mean that the Montreal piece of the pie isn't that big or that worth it?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 05:43 PM

It doesn't mean anything, it's just an opinion. Carmela could be right, or wrong. Just as the rest of us.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 06:01 PM

It doesn't mean anything, it's just an opinion. Carmela could be right, or wrong. Just as the rest of us.

True. Although my last post up there ^^^^ is all fact, not opinion. And a LOT of other things I've posted are based on more fact than opinion. But yeah sure, Sonny I could be wrong, and I probably am. wink Don't care if I am, don't care if I'm not. They don't put food on my table up there. I have zero interest in who's behind all this in Montreal. Zero. It's just that I happen to know many of the Caruana-Cun trera families, both blood and by marriage. But that's as far as my interest goes, and that's where I pull any info that I have from.

And to answer Jimmy_Two_Times, in Sicily I can tell you 100% that Montagna was nobody substantial.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 06:53 PM

True. Although my last post up there ^^^^ is all fact, not opinion. And a LOT of other things I've posted are based on more fact than opinion. But yeah sure, Sonny I could be wrong, and I probably am. wink Don't care if I am, don't care if I'm not. They don't put food on my table up there. I have zero interest in who's behind all this in Montreal. Zero. It's just that I happen to know many of the Caruana-Cun trera families, both blood and by marriage. But that's as far as my interest goes, and that's where I pull any info that I have from.

And to answer Jimmy_Two_Times, in Sicily I can tell you 100% that Montagna was nobody substantial.

I was only referring to you stating that Montanga was a nobody in Montreal. Not one of us knows his role for certain, although both you and Joey seem to know it for sure.

Anyway, even if you do know the [BadWord]-Caruana's (I don't know you do so if you say you do I take that for granted), would they even tell things like "Renda sleeps with the Fishes" or "Agostino is killed by a Sicilian" to their own wives let alone other relatives?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 07:42 PM

Apparently the funeral was pretty low key. None of the ostentatious shows of some other Montreal Mafia funerals.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/show+Montagna+church+service/5777841/story.html

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 07:48 PM

I was only referring to you stating that Montanga was a nobody in Montreal. Not one of us knows his role for certain, although both you and Joey seem to know it for sure.

Anyway, even if you do know the [BadWord]-Caruana's (I don't know you do so if you say you do I take that for granted), would they even tell things like "Renda sleeps with the Fishes" or "Agostino is killed by a Sicilian" to their own wives let alone other relatives?

Yeah, I know what you're saying and you're right. But you know, when you're around people..people talk, it's conversation at a family gathering, etc.
Summer of 2010, I went to a memorial tribute for Agostino in Siculiana, Agrigento. I posted about it on Real Deal. Nobody even knew there was one going on. Who would know, unless you were there? But I was and I posted it. People talk at those types of gatherings. And some listen.
When Renda went missing, people speculated he was maybe kidnapped. Others speculated he was already dead. I backed up the people saying he was dead. I knew he was. And not only dead, I heard he went in a gruesome way. Tortured and dismembered. This is just stuff nobody comes up to you to tell you, but within a family people talk. Sometimes they're just speculating themselves. Sometimes they know for certain. Gossip and talk travels fast either way, though.

Regarding Montagna..I honestly don't know what was his role in Montreal or what was going thru his mind. I only said he was in no way the mastermind behind some takeover.

I'm done in here now...

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 08:30 PM

When Renda went missing, people speculated he was maybe kidnapped. Others speculated he was already dead. I backed up the people saying he was dead. I knew he was. And not only dead, I heard he went in a gruesome way. Tortured and dismembered. This is just stuff nobody comes up to you to tell you, but within a family people talk. Sometimes they're just speculating themselves. Sometimes they know for certain. Gossip and talk travels fast either way, though.

Sick people. That's not even revenge, it's far worse than that. Violi was killed without even realising it. One shot and he was dead, probably didn't feel any pain.

Why was Renda tortured and [BadWord] and Rizzuto only shot at? Does this suggest that Renda's role in the Violi murder was bigger than them? Could Renda have pulled the trigger personally?

And if [BadWord] was killed by a Sicilian, why? Was it a Sicilian hired by Hamilton, or was it one of his own? Could it be that Big Joe agreed that Agostino should pay for deeds in the past on the condition that they would do it themselves?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 08:35 PM

As a coincidende I found a very interesting page about the Montreal mafia:

http://www.montrealites.ca/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=43&tag=montreal%20mafia
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 09:27 PM

@Carmela The more I think about it, the more that makes sense. I always thought the theory about kidnapping Renda to negotiate with him was bullshit. You can't assume that's the truth just because of his rank. The other theory was for once, they didn't want another body. But that was even less plausible. If they had a body it could tell us so much. Partial dismemberment I hear about in Sicily. But in New York, torture never goes past severe beating, or at the most, cuts. The less creative, the more Western. I'm sure they'll never find him.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/28/11 11:15 PM

If you firmly believe in stats it would mean that the Montreal and Toronto families would only have 50 members, comparable to the size the Cleveland and Detroit families once had.

However, that you could compare the size of the Italian community in Montreal and Toronto with Cleveland and Detroit doesn't necessarily have to mean that there would also be the same amount of Italian criminals. Ratios can differ from place to place.

I'm a stats and figures guy, by nature, but I agree that the ratios in the Canadian cities don't necessarily reflect those in the U.S. But looking that the numbers, it is hard to believe there are "hundreds" of Cosa Nostra and 'Ndrangheta members there.

Quote:
So you're stating that the 'Ndrangheta families in Toronto have only 40 men in total? That would explain a lot of their supposed power. Could you direct me to the source which state this? I'm very curious.

That was how many Italian prosecutors cited in their report. There's an extensive article about it below -

http://www.jeff-goodall.com/?p=2440
Posted By: Tonymtl

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 12:03 AM

Word on the streets. Lorenzo lopresti was one of Sals drivers throughout the year. He aligned himself with sal. Police sources indicated that Tony mucci was seen circulating in the same area sal was killed the last few months. Sal was probably killed in a considered safehouse.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 12:14 AM

On a personal note. Saw the funeral today. My sympathies but it shows that Sals family don't belong in this city. Pulling the bird to journalists and police. No class at all. Italian montrealers would never act this way.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 12:16 AM

I am wondering why they would kill Larry lopresti first?? Perhaps they were simply hoping it would make Montagna fall in line?
Posted By: antimafia

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 12:22 AM

A suspect has been arrested.

Link to French-language article:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/qu ... cueil_POS2

Google translation:

Arrest of the man whose home was searched after the murder of Montagna
Vincent Larouche
La Presse

An entrepreneur of Charlemagne, whose house was searched after the murder of mafioso Salvatore Montagna last week was arrested by the Emergency Response Team of the Ontario Provincial Police Monday.

According to our sources, Jack Simpson was singled out during a massive police deployment in Ottawa. The 69 year old man is the owner of the house on the island Vaudry, Charlemagne, where investigators had visited after the death of Montagna, close by.

Jack Simpson was not arrested in connection with the murder, but for a breach of conditions related to a previous conviction.

It is clear, however, that investigators trying to solve the murder of Montagna will want to talk to him, according to our sources.

Jack Simpson the company has roughly Floors Inc.. He had some trouble with the law over the years.

Recall that Salvatore Montagna, 40, was killed last Thursday in Charlemagne. Born in Montreal, he had lived in Italy and New York, where he became acting head of the Bonanno crime family.

Deported to Canada in 2009, he had quietly begun to take in large circles in the mafia. His name also circulated as one of possible candidates for head of the local mafia.

Neither the Ontario Provincial Police or the Quebec Provincial Police have refused to confirm the arrest of Jack Simpson on Monday night.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 12:28 AM

Who did Simpson rent the house to? That's what the cops wanna know. And what ever happened to Sals driver who drove him to the house? I'm sure it was a big setup.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 12:46 AM

In last Thursday's journal de Montreal. Reporter mentioned thru police sources that there was a big mob meeting in east end Montreal. Aparently it ended abruptly when reps from Hamilton and Ontario left. Some kind of disagreement This I'm sure was the beginning of the end for Sal. Thats why the cops said it would be a hot fall/winter in Montreal. The meeting apparently took place in September.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Tonymtl
In last Thursday's journal de Montreal. Reporter mentioned thru police sources that there was a big mob meeting in east end Montreal. Aparently it ended abruptly when reps from Hamilton and Ontario left. Some kind of disagreement This I'm sure was the beginning of the end for Sal. Thats why the cops said it would be a hot fall/winter in Montreal. The meeting apparently took place in September.

Oh wow, i hadn't heard about that. Excellent info, thanks.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 01:28 AM

Speaking for myself, I'm content to avoid a lot of the speculation about the war and just wait for information to come in when it does.

That said, I've noticed that quite a few people here make the assumption that a big part of all this conflict is the drug pipeline between Canada and the U.S. Or, to be more specific, between Montreal/Toronto and New York. The thinking seems to be that the Montreal and Toronto guys have the product, because of their international connections, and so they are the suppliers to the New York guys, who don't have the same international connections, but have a market.

Ivy, I really appreciate your informed posts and I generally agree with you but only partly here. I do believe this has a lot to do with drug trafficking and routes. I agree with you that much of the drug trafficking is for the Canadian market. I disagree with your assertion that very little of it flows south to the US.

The Canadian US border is porous. There are old country roads you can take into the US from Canada without seeing CBP or a stop. Those routes have been used by LCN since the late 50's. That border is so porous, very few seizures have occurred even during the height of the French Connection, Pizza Connection and before.

From some of my readings, outside of what comes from Mexico, there are traffickers bringing in marijuana, cocaine, Meth and heroine on fishing vessels on both the Atlantic and Pacific. These fishermen make pick ups and transfers hundreds of miles out to sea and bring them back to smaller ports in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The Canadian ports are lightly policed compared to the US, especially the smaller fishing ports. From there, the drugs are trucked into Montreal and Toronto, for Canadian distribution and consumption, but also to fulfill US market needs, especially New York.

Gaspipe Casso evidently used this technique in his trafficking according to the Carlo book. Every now and again you will read about a fishing vessel getting busted, usually at the dock in a small port town, because someone informed. Rarely does the coast guard make a bust outside of the Gulf of Mexico.

Keep in mind that most heroin in NY is not the dark Mexican stuff, but the white Asian stuff.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 01:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5FtWERa7zk

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 01:34 AM

I was watching that video earlier, lol i like how another procession pulls right up after Montagna's is done.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 01:39 AM

Ivy, I really appreciate your informed posts and I generally agree with you but only partly here. I do believe this has a lot to do with drug trafficking and routes. I agree with you that much of the drug trafficking is for the Canadian market. I disagree with your assertion that very little of it flows south to the US.

The Canadian US border is porous. There are old country roads you can take into the US from Canada without seeing CBP or a stop. Those routes have been used by LCN since the late 50's. That border is so porous, very few seizures have occurred even during the height of the French Connection, Pizza Connection and before.

From some of my readings, outside of what comes from Mexico, there are traffickers bringing in marijuana, cocaine, Meth and heroine on fishing vessels on both the Atlantic and Pacific. These fishermen make pick ups and transfers hundreds of miles out to sea and bring them back to smaller ports in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The Canadian ports are lightly policed compared to the US, especially the smaller fishing ports. From there, the drugs are trucked into Montreal and Toronto, for Canadian distribution and consumption, but also to fulfill US market needs, especially New York.

Gaspipe Casso evidently used this technique in his trafficking according to the Carlo book. Every now and again you will read about a fishing vessel getting busted, usually at the dock in a small port town, because someone informed. Rarely does the coast guard make a bust outside of the Gulf of Mexico.

Keep in mind that most heroin in NY is not the dark Mexican stuff, but the white Asian stuff.

I never said the US/Canadian border wasn't porous. If you look at the DEA reports, there are plenty of busts/seizures involving OC groups trafficking drugs across the border. I said that, when it comes to Italian OC, actual examples of drugs being trafficked southward, from Canada to the U.S., are rather rare. There is little evidence to support the assumption that the mob guys in Montreal or Toronto were ever trying to tap into the NY market in a big way. Or that the ongoing killings up there have anything to do with a struggle over who will control that pipeline. A pipeline into and distribution in Montreal or Toronto? Yes. But not really from there into New York or elsewhere in the U.S.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 01:45 AM

I was watching that video earlier, lol i like how another procession pulls right up after Montagna's is done.

The next procession, ironically, was coming from the Complexe Funéraire Loreto, the Rizzuto-owned funeral home.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 02:22 AM

If all is relatively quiet leading up to Vitos release than you know that Sal was a one man army. He spread fear on Montreal the way he decapitated the rizzutos and [BadWord]. He forced his way in Montreal he didn't earn it. That's how he lost respect. I heard he had assassins come in from across the border to have his work done. He had no choice but to kill as many powerful rizutto loyalists as possible because many are waiting for Vito on the sidelines. Sal hadn't finished before he died. They got to him first. I think Vito and his old allies will take back power. We will wait to see.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 02:31 AM

FWIW, some recent articles have mentioned that Mexican and South American OC groups are now capable of producing the classic 'Number Four" or white heroin, having obtained the neccesary know-how and lab. capabilities.

Originally Posted By: antimafia

The next procession, ironically, was coming from the Complexe Funéraire Loreto, the Rizzuto-owned funeral home.

Wow. Lifes irony indeed.

As antimafia posted, the owner of the house Montagna was apparently fleeing from is one Jack Simpson, a 69 year old male known to police. As also mentioned in said article, the guy was arrested not in connection to the murder, but in relation to certain breaches of his parole for prior convictions. (It doesn't exactly say that in the article, but it's my assumptions)

Is there much known about this guy Simpson, what his convictions were, who he was connected/in with? A quick google search yeilded not much beyond the mention in relation to the Montagna hit.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 02:43 AM

If all is relatively quiet leading up to Vitos release than you know that Sal was a one man army. He spread fear on Montreal the way he decapitated the rizzutos and [BadWord]. He forced his way in Montreal he didn't earn it. That's how he lost respect. I heard he had assassins come in from across the border to have his work done. He had no choice but to kill as many powerful rizutto loyalists as possible because many are waiting for Vito on the sidelines. Sal hadn't finished before he died. They got to him first. I think Vito and his old allies will take back power. We will wait to see.

I always thought it was wayyyyy to much of a coincidence for all the Rizzuto bodies to start dropping the year Montagna got to montreal.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
FWIW, some recent articles have mentioned that Mexican and South American OC groups are now capable of producing the classic 'Number Four" or white heroin, having obtained the neccesary know-how and lab. capabilities.

Yep. The Colombians started refining their own high-grade heroin in the 1990's and the Mexicans not long after. It's why they were able to replace the China-White heroin in the NY market, which in turn had replaced the heroin that came by way of the Pizza Connection.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 03:53 AM

when you talk about earners - Gaspipe is def in/near the top of that list that guy was a monster in more ways than one

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 03:54 AM

NY Presence at Montagna's funeral?

Bonanno street boss buried in Canada

By MITCHEL MADDUX

The murdered, former street boss of New York's Bonanno crime family was remembered today at a funeral service in Canada -- and law-enforcement officers outside busily snapped photos of those attending.

Mourners filed into the Montreal church to pay their final respects to Salvatore "Sal the Iron Worker" Montagna, a native of Canada who was murdered Thursday after he left a house there.

The service was sparsely attended -- with an estimated 70 mourners -- contrasting sharply with recent funerals for other Canadian mobsters with deep roots in Quebec's Italian community, The Montreal Gazette said.

Montagna was deported to Canada from the US in 2009. Although born in Canada, he had lived most of his life in Italy and New York, officials said.

Over the weekend, several cars bearing New York state license plates were spotted at a Montreal funeral home, but few were seen at the church.

Before his death, Montagna had been reportedly engaged in discussions over the future leadership of Montreal's mob, which has been weakened in recent years by arrests and assassinations.

On Thursday, witnesses heard gunshots as Montagna left a house in a working-class suburb outside Montreal. Police believe he then jumped into a frigid river and swam to the opposite bank before dying in a bed of snow.

Investigators are still searching for the killer and believe a confrontation took place at the house.

"We think something happened - a struggle, a fight - something happened there," Sgt. Benoit Richard of the Sûreté du Québec, the provincial police agency, told The Post.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bonan...K#ixzz1f3wr9ksQ

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 04:00 AM

JoeyCigars and all his alter egos were 65 of the 70 participants at Montagna's funeral. Now all we need to figure out is who were the other 5 people.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 04:01 AM

what'a about the di maulo's?
the murder of montagna was after the attempted murder of desjardins, maybe montagna and dimaulo did a pact to move war to rizzuto's and after that they started fighting eachother who knows?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 04:21 AM

JoeyCigars and all his alter egos were 65 of the 70 participants at Montagna's funeral. Now all we need to figure out is who were the other 5 people.

maybe the others where whats left of the bonanno zip faction?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 04:33 AM

Apparently when Sal went to see old man Rizzuto to ask him to step down he was unreasonable. We all know he wanted the power but he also wanted an unreasonable amount of money owed to the bonnano family for all unpaid royalties over the years. Millions of dollars I heard.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 04:40 AM

I never said the US/Canadian border wasn't porous. If you look at the DEA reports, there are plenty of busts/seizures involving OC groups trafficking drugs across the border. I said that, when it comes to Italian OC, actual examples of drugs being trafficked southward, from Canada to the U.S., are rather rare. There is little evidence to support the assumption that the mob guys in Montreal or Toronto were ever trying to tap into the NY market in a big way. Or that the ongoing killings up there have anything to do with a struggle over who will control that pipeline. A pipeline into and distribution in Montreal or Toronto? Yes. But not really from there into New York or elsewhere in the U.S.

Ivy, let's agree to disagree. smile

I just do not see this being a beef over construction extortion or bookmaking.

I think it is drugs and power.

I think those smuggling routes have been in frequent use since Prohibition. I think the Canadian LCN / OC has plenty of contacts in South America and in Europe to move cocaine, heroine, etc into Canada and subsequently down into the US. That is their pipeline, no? Don't some of the Canadians have blood relatives in South America?

The Caruna - Contrera org (among other Canadian OC) has been smuggling forever. We both know the Bonannos have been neck deep in junk since the 50's.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 04:41 AM

maybe the others where whats left of the bonanno zip faction?

LOL!!! smile smile smile smile
Posted By: Clearsudden

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 05:33 AM

Someone mentioned that Lorenzo lo presti was Sal montagna driver.

So that would make him an enemie of the rizzutos. His funeral was at loreto which is owned by rizzutos. Go Figure?
See below.
http://www.complexeloreto.com/obituaries.php?action=view&id=996

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 07:27 AM

The only NY presence at the Montagna funeral seems to have been his own family members, to the best of my knowledge at least. The NY plates may have been theirs.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 08:04 AM

I always thought it was wayyyyy to much of a coincidence for all the Rizzuto bodies to start dropping the year Montagna got to montreal.

Mooney...So did I ,

I now believe 80% chance Sal was in on some of the hits , At least the plans or some input cool

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 10:09 AM

That was how many Italian prosecutors cited in their report. There's an extensive article about it below -

Interestingly, the article states that Italian procecutors "named" 40 men, which doens't necessarily mean that this is their total membership.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 06:09 PM

My sympathies but it shows that Sals family don't belong in this city.

My money says his wife and kids are back on Long Island for Christmas.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 06:21 PM

[Keep shit from other forums off this one, please. And NO MORE baiting other members in public! --JG]

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 07:57 PM

Carmela, I would rather not see this thread (or any other) turn into a pissing contest.

Statements of fact, interpretation, speculation, conjecture and respectful debate are what makes this interesting to me.

Speaking for myself, I really do not care whether you or Joey is right or wrong (here or at Real Deal, of which I am also a member).

Please, give it a rest.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 08:25 PM

Carmela, I would rather not see this thread (or any other) turn into a pissing contest.

Statements of fact, interpretation, speculation, conjecture and respectful debate are what makes this interesting to me.

Speaking for myself, I really do not care whether you or Joey is right or wrong (here or at Real Deal, of which I am also a member).

Please, give it a rest.

No pissing contest. I was in no way out of line. I only posted a compilation of Joey's past quotes to remind him of his theories of the past. He's not gonna start that flip flopping nonsense again. I was civil, I wasn't disrespectful and I was on topic.

As far as what makes things interesting to you and for you, I couldn't care less. Welcome to the club. How much bullshit and absolute nonsense I sift thru just to find some interesting stuff here and there. It's a forum, it is what it is. May not be interesting to you or me, but will be to others.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 09:06 PM

Carmela, you don't even respond to my questions, instead you continue that never ending fight with you're arch enemy here on GangsterBB... Like Tony said, give it a rest.

I'm deeply offended, humiliated and I'm not sure if I would ever be able to forgive you.

(Thinking about going to that meeting in that basement in a Montreal suburb)

(Leaves his Rolex Watch, ring and a C-note in an open drawer so his wife could find it)

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 10:21 PM

Ivy, let's agree to disagree. smile

I just do not see this being a beef over construction extortion or bookmaking.

I think it is drugs and power.

I think those smuggling routes have been in frequent use since Prohibition. I think the Canadian LCN / OC has plenty of contacts in South America and in Europe to move cocaine, heroine, etc into Canada and subsequently down into the US. That is their pipeline, no? Don't some of the Canadians have blood relatives in South America?

The Caruna - Contrera org (among other Canadian OC) has been smuggling forever. We both know the Bonannos have been neck deep in junk since the 50's.

Those smuggling routes were used back when the Italians dominated the heroin trade. But that really hasn't been the case for the last 25 years here in the U.S. And they were never in a position to control cocaine or marijuana here. Once again, the Italians importing and controlling a big chunk of the drug trade in Montreal is one thing. But there's little evidence to suggest Montreal or Toronto is being by the Italians as a way station for drugs to New York. Look at the DEA seizures involving drugs going north as opposed to drugs going south. Except for marijuana and ecstasy, which involve other groups more, there is no comparison.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/29/11 10:22 PM

Interestingly, the article states that Italian procecutors "named" 40 men, which doens't necessarily mean that this is their total membership.

True enough. I don't think they would be able to name every last guy. But it wouldn't surprise me if the total number is closer to 40 than what some apparently claim.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 12:18 AM

I'm done in here now...

It's amazing how civil the discussion got after you posted that. Then you posted again.

As I said in your previous post (that I edited), keep shit from other forums off this one, please. Instigating will not be tolerated, either. Take it to PM or let it go. Otherwise, it's an entire disruption to the conversation.

Thank you.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 03:13 AM

On it's face, this would make sense. Until one finds that the flow of drugs, at least when it comes to Italian OC, isn't going south for the most part. It's going north. And that's where it's staying. In other words, the Rizzutos and their guys in Montreal were smuggling cocaine and other drugs into Montreal and were distributing it in the local market there. Same for the Calabrians in Toronto. Except for some marijuana sent south across the US/Canadian border to New York and Florida, there is really little evidence of the Italians up in Canada - be they Sicilian or Calabrian, in Montreal or Toronto - importing drugs there and then smuggling it into the U.S. In fact, marijuana is the one exception, where most of it is going south from Canada to the U.S. But that's done mostly by Asian groups, bikers, and others.

Furthermore, I really have to question the claim made in one of the recent articles about the 'Ndrangheta operating under the radar in New York because law enforcement is focused on terrorism. If this were the case, how would the writer(s) of the article even know this? They get their information from law enforcement, not the other way around. A few years ago there was that massive bust, dubbed "Operation Reckoning" and "Operation Solare" that involved the Gulf Cartel, members of the 'Ndrangheta in New York, Canada, and Europe, as well as a few local NY mob guys, but that was largely about moving cocaine from South America and Mexico to the U.S. and Europe. Not to Canada and then into the U.S.

Finally, I have to at least question the size estimates made by some about the mob up there. If I'm not mistaken, the population in the greater Montreal area is about 3.6 million, making it comparable to Seattle or San Diego. And the population in the greater Toronto metro area is about 5.5 million, making it comparable to Philadelphia or Houston. I believe there are about 250,000 Italians in Montreal and another 200,000 in Toronto. Making both of them fall somewhere between Detroit and Cleveland, by comparison.

Personally, I don't have a hard time believing that the 100+ guys rounded up in the Project Colisee case between 2006 and 2008 were the bulk of the Rizzuto organization. It was certainly enough people removed to create a big enough power vacuum for the ensuing chaos to occur. And Italian authorities who cited the 7 'Ndrangheta clans in Toronto also cited about 40 people who made up the "Canadian cell" (or those 7 Toronto-based clans) of the 'Ndrangheta. And the Thunder Bay wing of things, at least until fairly recently, was said to be dormant. So I do have a hard time believing there are literally "hundreds" of Sicilian Mafia and 'Ndrangheta members in Montreal and Toronto. Or, frankly, in all of Canada.

From what I can tell, there is a hodgepodge of Sicilian and Calabrian OC elements up in eastern Canada. And both have had connections, or even members, in American LCN families in the past, which makes things more confusing. There certainly seems to be more of an "international" element to Italian mobsters in Canada, when compared to those in the U.S. And there are obviously still links between them. But it seems many tend to overstate those links, thereby conjuring up a much bigger and more widespread conspiracy. That's where we get into the theories about the Sicilians and Calabrians fighting over who will control the flow of drugs into Canada - and by extension - into the U.S. With a little decades-old payback thrown in for good measure. And it all being mastermind by the bosses back in Italy.

Well, I don't see it. The mob guys up in Canada may be more international than their American counterparts, but they seem to be as much Canadian as the guys in the U.S. are American. Some of them using their passports more frequently doesn't change that. They're local guys largely dealing with local issues within and between Montreal and Toronto, with more of an indirect and distant connection to New York or Italy.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Not for nothing, some interesting stats on the GTA and Ivy at least if these stats are right, there are way more than 200 000 people of 50% of more Italian blood in the GTA.

Language

Toronto remains a mosaic of many languages. In 2006, forty-seven percent of the population had a mother tongue in a language other than English or French.

The top 5 mother tongue languages in 2006 were:

Chinese (420,000);
Italian (195,000);
Punjabi (138,000);
Tagalog/Pilipino (114,000);
Portuguese (113,000).

http://www.toronto.ca/toronto_facts/diversity.htm

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 03:37 AM

Those smuggling routes were used back when the Italians dominated the heroin trade. But that really hasn't been the case for the last 25 years here in the U.S. And they were never in a position to control cocaine or marijuana here. Once again, the Italians importing and controlling a big chunk of the drug trade in Montreal is one thing. But there's little evidence to suggest Montreal or Toronto is being by the Italians as a way station for drugs to New York. Look at the DEA seizures involving drugs going north as opposed to drugs going south. Except for marijuana and ecstasy, which involve other groups more, there is no comparison.

Ivy, I agree that the Italians no longer dominate the drug trade as they did 25 years ago. But I think they are still involved, and partnering / using other groups (Motorcycle Clubs and other OC gangs).

I understand your point, but just because there are not a significant number of seizures going south does not mean it is not happening. There was an article in the papers here in Texas about the Mexican cartels (Sinaloa and Gulf) creating cells / networks all over the US and Canada. As I mentioned above, they are using fishing vessels, mid sea transfers to US and Canadian fishing vessels, which land in the Pacific Northwest, Eastern Seaboard and Canada, with most of it ear marked for the US markets. I think it was mostly cocaine, heroin and meth distribution.

I will try to find a reference for you.
Posted By: Nicholas

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 05:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

FWIW, that BC Bud seems to be the one drug that North America manages to make that's better then anything out of Mexico, South America or the third world.

Oh, I hear ya on that!! wink

Though I can't think of any Italian OC in British Columbia.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 08:33 AM

I understand your point, but just because there are not a significant number of seizures going south does not mean it is not happening. There was an article in the papers here in Texas about the Mexican cartels (Sinaloa and Gulf) creating cells / networks all over the US and Canada. As I mentioned above, they are using fishing vessels, mid sea transfers to US and Canadian fishing vessels, which land in the Pacific Northwest, Eastern Seaboard and Canada, with most of it ear marked for the US markets. I think it was mostly cocaine, heroin and meth distribution.

I will try to find a reference for you.

I'm not saying that drugs never finds it's way from the Italian guys up in Montreal to the Italian guys in NY. But I would think there would be more evidence of it if it was on the scale many assume it is. Especially if it was big enough to be a major factor in the war going on up in Montreal.

I can only think of a few cases involving drugs being shipped south. There was Vinny Basciano's crew smuggling marijuana. There was also marijuana being shipped down to Florida but I don't recall who that involved. I can't think of a single case involving cocaine or heroin. There was a case involving Matthew Guglielmetti of the Patriarca family but they were smuggling cocaine up to Canada.
Posted By: NJBoy55

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 09:39 AM

I read about the killing of Sal, It's pretty crazy.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 12:10 PM

From the NYPOST.com, we learn that Sal Montagna, the former acting boss of the Bonanno family who was deported to Canada a few years ago, may have been murdered by bikers for trying to wrest control of the Montreal Mafia from the dying Rizzuto family. Bikers may have done the hit, but it seems more than likely they would only be hired guns.

The police also calls the murder amateurish.

They are looking into whether the hit may be related to the murder last week of an outlaw biker with organized-crime connections in an adjacent town. They said it “doesn’t seem to be” linked, but cops aren’t “ruling out anything.”

Montagna, 40, was also reportedly involved in a three-way power struggle to take over the Montreal mob, and had been in talks with his rivals to pick a consensus leader, the NYPOST.com reports.
“Looks like it didn’t work,” an investigator told the Montreal Gazette.
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 12:22 PM

Many thanks Caramela for the input. Much obliged.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 12:33 PM

Don't underestimate the trade in others drugs like XTC, which entirely comes from Europe and likely goes through the ports of Montreal into the United States.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Clearsudden
Someone mentioned that Lorenzo lo presti was Sal montagna driver.

So that would make him an enemie of the rizzutos. His funeral was at loreto which is owned by rizzutos. Go Figure?
See below.
http://www.complexeloreto.com/obituaries.php?action=view&id=996

Thanks for posting! I have been looking for a photo of Larry lo presti for a while!
Posted By: NJBoy55

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: J Geoff
I'm done in here now...

It's amazing how civil the discussion got after you posted that. Then you posted again.

As I said in your previous post (that I edited), keep shit from other forums off this one, please. Instigating will not be tolerated, either. Take it to PM or let it go. Otherwise, it's an entire disruption to the conversation.

Thank you.

Well said. She has started trouble with me for no reason as well. Some think she is from that other forum to start crap here.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 11/30/11 08:06 PM

J Geoff You're right, I should keep whatever beef between JoeyCigars and I off your board. He joined and started right away with the PMing me with his usual crap, and I reacted, but I was wrong to bring it public. I'll handle him privately, as usual. My apologies.

That being said, I also brought more info to this thread than most.

NJBoy55, I'm sure it brings Geoff great comfort in the fact that you got his back.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 06:03 AM

Well if a violent group people from Calabria, half a world away, care about the millions of dollars at stake then it is ludicrous to think a Violent group from NY which is only 6 hours away wouldn't care.

There very easily could be some repercussions.

Wasn't Vic Controni a captain in the Bonanno family. Isn't Frank a soldier in the Bonanno family?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Mussolini14
Wasn't Vic Controni a captain in the Bonanno family.

Yes, Vic Cotroni was a captain in the Bonanno Family during the 60s and the 70s. It seems that he retired in 1975 and a split within the Montreal crew occured.
Paolo Violi was backed by Rastelli, while the Rizzutos seems to have been backed by Lilo Galante.
In the 80s the Montrealers were back into the Bonanno´s fold as one unit but if they were under the command of Gerlando Sciascia or some other Bonanno captain is hard to know.
Anyway, according to Sal Vitale´s testimony, Massino wanted to appoint Vito Rizzuto to the rank of a captain after the Sciascia murder in 1999. But the Rizzuto´s chose to sever themselves away from the New York Family´s influence by not accepting Massino´s appointment.
Because of the disarray that follwed within the Bonanno Family, I believe, the issue of the Montreal crew and it´s status with the Bonannos was never solved.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 05:55 PM

Killing Montagna severed ties between the Bonnano's and Montreal. Montagna was a crucial link to rebuild that bridge and somewhat take over Montreal for the Bonnanos. Obviously times have changed and Canadian mobsters couldn't care less about some guy from NYC trying to run things.

This ain't the 50s

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 06:00 PM

montagna is sure behind the attack against rizzuto's and he was not alone he formed a group in montreal

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 06:00 PM

Killing Montagna severed ties between the Bonnano's and Montreal. Montagna was a crucial link to rebuild that bridge and somewhat take over Montreal for the Bonnanos. Obviously times have changed and Canadian mobsters couldn't care less about some guy from NYC trying to run things.

This ain't the 50s

You're right, but being there in the first place was a mistake on their part. The New York families have enough problems in New York, let alone getting involved in another country.

As far as Canada deferring to the New York families? Well, the commission hasn't been in place in quite some time. If it were, then Montreal would probably have to defer to New York somewhat. But like you said, this ain't the '50s.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

This ain't the 50s

You're right, but being there in the first place was a mistake on their part. The New York families have enough problems in New York, let alone getting involved in another country.

As far as Canada deferring to the New York families? Well, the commission hasn't been in place in quite some time. If it were, then Montreal would probably have to defer to New York somewhat. But like you said, this ain't the '50s.

Don't think I'm assuming some patriotic Canadian mafioso opinion here, but the reality is that the LCN in America is heavily scrutinized by law enforcement and has become a risk to deal with, since RICO and some many rats infiltrated the organsation, which puts the Canadian mafia at risk by proxy.

Look at Vito Rizzuto, the guy had no criminal record per say and was put in prison by some LCN mafiosi rats. Let's just say Canadian mafiosi and Italian crime syndicates are well aware times have changed.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 06:17 PM

Don't think I'm assuming some patriotic Canadian mafioso opinion here

You mean they don't get up and sing "O Canada" at the Canadian mob initiation ceremony? tongue lol

I'm agreeing with you, by the way. I couldn't care less if these guys rat each other out into the next century. It's a whole new world today.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 06:20 PM

Don't think I'm assuming some patriotic Canadian mafioso opinion here

You mean they don't get up and sing "O Canada" at the Canadian mob initiation ceremony? tongue lol

I'm agreeing with you, by the way. I couldn't care less if these guys rat each other out into the next century. It's a whole new world today.

With the legal system we have here, I'm pretty sure they're singing O Canada at every chance.

American mobsters wish they lived in Canada today.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 06:21 PM

Well sure, free health insurance lol.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 06:23 PM

That's just one of the perks!

Having the hottest chicks in North America is an added bonus and makes the long winters bearable.
Posted By: Frosty

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 08:14 PM

Having the hottest chicks in North America is an added bonus and makes the long winters bearable.
Speaking of long cold winters I sure could use some of that to make my cccooolllddd wwiiinnttteerrr bbbbeeaaarrrbbblle. smile

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Frosty

Speaking of long cold winters I sure could use some of that to make my cccooolllddd wwiiinnttteerrr bbbbeeaaarrrbbblle. smile

Montreal women are hot all year long.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 10:20 PM

Pics or it didn't happen. grin

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 12/05/11 10:34 PM

Pics or it didn't happen. grin

a Calabrian never brags about his conquests smile

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 05:46 PM

Giuseppe Renda, someone unrelated to Paolo Renda and apparently close to Sal Montagna, has been possibly kidnapped. He is definitely missing.

http://www.24hmontreal.canoe.ca/24hmontreal/actualites/archives/2012/05/20120507-132745.html

Google translation

GIUSEPPE RENDA
A mafia associate disappears in Montreal

Daniel Renaud
Le Journal de Montréal
07/05/2012 1:27 p.m.

MONTREAL - A man of Italian origin close to the Mafia murdered Salvatore Montagna has been missing since Friday night in Montreal, told Le Journal de Montréal.

All indications are that Giuseppe Renda, 53, was kidnapped. But for now, the police, who opened an investigation, prefers to speak of a disappearance.

"Right now, we consider this case as a disappearance as long as we do not have elements that will allow us to believe a crime has been committed," said Lt. Ian Lafrenière of the Montreal police.

It is the wife of the disappeared, worried, who alerted the police on Friday dinner time. Investigators from the Southern Operational Centre Montreal police have launched immediately on some tracks and quickly returned to the car of Mr. Renda on St. Urbain Street in Little Italy.

It seems that Giuseppe Renda has left his home in Westmount mid-morning Friday to meet with someone.

The rendezvous took place as planned, but Mr. Renda is never returned home thereafter.

Nervous

Giuseppe Renda was not related to Lieutenant Clan of the Sicilians, Paolo Renda, 70, who has never been seen since he was abducted near his home in Spring 2010.

Giuseppe Renda was born in the United States, but dwell Montreal for several years.

It would be close to Salvatore Montagna, this candidate-sponsor murdered on the island-Vaudry, to Charlemagne, in November 2011. Recall that the former right of ousted godfather Vito Rizzuto, Raynald Desjardins, and half a dozen other men, charged with the murder.

It seems that Giuseppe Renda was very nervous since the murder of Montagna and the murder of Lorenzo Lopresti and attempted murder against Antonio Pietrantonio, aka "Tony Suzuki," last fall.

Want some information that these two individuals, once close to the Rizzuto clan will be joined at Montagna after falling Rizzuto in 2010.

About money or debt could be the cause of the disappearance of Giuseppe Renda.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 07:53 PM

i read giuseppe renda is a nephew of gerlando sciascia so i thought he close to rizzuto's and not montagna

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 08:25 PM

i read giuseppe renda is a nephew of gerlando sciascia so i thought he close to rizzuto's and not montagna

This is a discussion on the RealDeal forum as well, where Gangster BB poster Sonny_Black pointed out there the possible connection between the missing Giuseppe Renda and Sciascia.

I pointed out that the journalist may have made a mistake when stating that the missing Giuseppe Renda is not related to Paolo Renda, as The Sixth Family states that Gerlando Sciascia had a nephew named Luciano Renda who is related to Paolo.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 09:07 PM

Gerlando Sciascia was killed by Patrick DeFilippo, who was the capo of the crew Salvatore Montagna was part off. Montagna later took over this crew before he was elected to acting boss. So it's interesting to say the least that Gerlando's nephew sided with Montagna. Giuseppe Renda is a made member in the Bonanno family and part of the Montreal crew.

If this was not sanctioned by the Bonannos themselves, then the guys who are behind this have huge balls.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 09:13 PM

^^just a technicality, Montagna wasnt elected Acting Boss. He was appointed by Basciano.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 09:31 PM

i doubt giuseppe renda sided with montagna, i think sided with the rizzuto's so this could be a murder of the montagna group i also think colapelle is

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 09:32 PM

^^just a technicality, Montagna wasnt elected Acting Boss. He was appointed by Basciano.

Source?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 09:47 PM

Source?

"Federal law enforcement authorities have recently claimed in a New York Daily News column that current Bonanno Family Boss Vincent Basciano has named Brooklyn business owner Salvatore "Sal the Ironworker" Montagna, age 35 of Elmont, Long Island as the new acting boss of the Bonanno Family. Sal Montagna was an unknown soldier in the Bronx crew of Capo Patrick "Patty from the Bronx" DeFilippo and became acting capo of the crew upon DeFilippo's 2003 arrest on murder and racketeering charges. Law enforcement sources have stated that Salvatore Montagna was tabbed as acting boss with Vincent Basciano's consent to maintain the Bonanno Family's base of power within the Bronx faction of the Family."

http://www.lacndb.com/php/Info.php?name=Family%20-%20Bonanno

"Sources said Montagna's promotion couldn't have happened without the blessing of Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano, who once operated Hello Gorgeous, a hair salon in the Bronx, and became the official boss of the crime family after Massino turned rat."

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news...9#ixzz1uDshOIv1

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 09:53 PM

That website does not provide a source either. And Basciano giving his blessing might not be the same as appointing. I'm probably a ball breaker right now and I'm not saying you're wrong, but being elected to acting boss is the usual practise. Wasn't Basciano an acting boss himself?

If we would go with Ivyleague's defintion of acting boss, it means that an acting boss loses his title when he goes to jail.

In this article Jerry Capeci states that when Basciano was in jail, the Bonanno family did not take orders from him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jerry-capeci/mob-murder-in-montreal-co_b_417688.html
Posted By: short841

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 09:59 PM

i thought basciano was the unofficial boss or is that the same as acting?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 10:01 PM

That website does not provide a source either. And Basciano giving his blessing might not be the same as appointing. I'm probably a ball breaker right now and I'm not saying you're wrong, but being elected to acting boss is the usual practise. Wasn't Basciano an acting boss himself?

If we would go with Ivyleague's defintion of acting boss, it means that an acting boss loses his title when he goes to jail.

In this article Jerry Capeci states that when Basciano was in jail, the Bonanno family did not take orders from him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jerry-capeci/mob-murder-in-montreal-co_b_417688.html

That websites source is the article I provided below it on the NY Dailynews website.

An Acting Boss is appointed by the Boss (eg. Vic Orena via Carmine Persico). For all intents and purposes, after Massino turned Basciano was viewed as the unofficial boss of the family. He appointed (evidenced by wiretaps) Michael Mancuso who was picked up in 2006 and then appointed Montagna that same year. Montagna ran things until April of 2009 when he was deported. There was a ruling panel instituted after that which included Joseph Sammartino, and others until the election of Vinny TV in 2010. Vinny TV was named as the acting boss of the family in all the recent indictments, who might be the official boss you say? I personally think the family probably hasnt formally elected a new boss since Massino turned and Basciano went to the can (there is no proof they have).

That article you provided by Capeci was published in January of 2010, the year the feds say Vinny TV took over as acting boss. This makes sense that the family isnt taking orders anymore from Basciano at that point as evidenced by the quote by the "source" in the article.

I still carry Vinny as the unoffical boss of the family, until noted otherwise in an indictment, etc. The feds were saying as late as 2011 that Basciano was trying to smuggle/communicate with Bonanno members on the outside so it is not inconceivable he could have been giving some orders/blessings to some decisions. Check this out:

"He's under 23-hour lockdown, but former mob boss Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano still managed to get his hands on porn in federal jail, officials revealed.The feds got a tip that the ex-Bonanno chief was trying to pass messages through another inmate in a legal-research room at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn."In exchange, Basciano would provide the other inmate with contraband items, such as stamps and pornographic and other DVDs," prosecutor Taryn Merkly said in court papers. Investigators searched the room and found a DVD stashed there and "unauthorized magazines" in Basciano's cell, Merkl said."

"But prosecutors have suggested that Basciano might be secretly communicating with the outside world, claiming he seems to speak in code during visits with his son."

http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/2010/11/feds-vinny-gorgeous-smuggles-porn-in.html

"Law enforcement officials still believe Basciano is trying to pass messages from prison to Bonanno crime family members."

http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/2011/08/notorious-mobster-vinny-gorgeous-takes.html

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: short841
i thought basciano was the unofficial boss or is that the same as acting?

I've never really heard the term "unofficial boss." What you have is either an "official boss" or an "acting/street boss." Basciano was in line to become official boss but he got life in prison.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/07/12 11:31 PM

Appointed or elected, it doesn't seem that there was much resistance to Montagna becoming acting boss. Vincent Basciano couldn't name him acting boss without the approval of other influential members in the organization.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 12:49 AM

Appointed or elected, it doesn't seem that there was much resistance to Montagna becoming acting boss. Vincent Basciano couldn't name him acting boss without the approval of other influential members in the organization.

Agreed, no resistance to Sal taking the reins.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 01:28 AM

Just like there wasn't resistance to Mancuso taking the acting boss position before that. Basciano would have been a shoe in to replace Massino but, because of his legal troubles, he wasn't exactly in a position to take over, despite what some on the internet claimed.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 01:35 AM

Just like there wasn't resistance to Mancuso taking the acting boss position before that. Basciano would have been a shoe in to replace Massino but, because of his legal troubles, he wasn't exactly in a position to take over, despite what some on the internet claimed.

For all we know the family voted Basciano in as official boss out of respect regardless if hes in the can for life (wouldnt be the first official boss in jail for life/extended period of time). No proof otherwise.

Read my signature, its about Mancuso and co.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 02:12 AM

For all we know the family voted Basciano in as official boss out of respect regardless if hes in the can for life (wouldnt be the first official boss in jail for life/extended period of time). No proof otherwise.

For all we know? That's just it, we don't know. People are too quick to crown somebody the new king. It's like people on these forums hate a power vacuum. I'll believe Basciano is the official boss if and when the feds say so. Not because of some short exchange between him and Massino before Basciano got life in prison.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 02:39 AM

For all we know? That's just it, we don't know. People are too quick to crown somebody the new king. It's like people on these forums hate a power vacuum. I'll believe Basciano is the official boss if and when the feds say so. Not because of some short exchange between him and Massino before Basciano got life in prison.

Your right we dont know, but it could be true. Remember last week I floated the idea that Merlino might be the official boss as the reason the feds had Ligambi as Acting Boss in the superseeding indictment. You shot that possibility down as unlikely because of lack of evidence, later in the week it comes out that Merlino is the boss.

Just saying that things can happen.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 05:57 AM

Your right we dont know, but it could be true. Remember last week I floated the idea that Merlino might be the official boss as the reason the feds had Ligambi as Acting Boss in the superseeding indictment. You shot that possibility down as unlikely because of lack of evidence, later in the week it comes out that Merlino is the boss.

Just saying that things can happen.

A lot of things could be true. Maybe Joey Merlino is getting his marching orders from Jimmy Buffett down in Florida. People on these forums float theories all the time. If it doesn't pan out, well, it was just a theory. If, by some chance, it does, they're like, "See! I told ya." Even though they really had no idea. They're just throwing darts in the dark and sometimes one happens to stick.

Once it came out that Massino flipped, it seemed people were determined (as they always are) to anoint somebody else the next official boss. In this case, Basciano. And I agree, he likely would have been had he not gotten life in prison. But he was indicted as the acting boss and he ultimately did get life in prison.

Furthmore, you can't fail to see the irony in your signature where Basciano seems to be usurping Massino's authority, since Massino was behind bars. And, yet, now that Basciano is doing life in Colorado, it's really possible he has the official boss position? Well, again, anything is possible but why not just keep that slot blank until it's actually known or not? Because otherwise people start treating their theories like probabilities, and then those probabilities morph into accepted fact, and before you know it, people start talking as if Basciano is the official boss when there's never been anything concrete to indicate that.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 04:27 PM

"He's under 23-hour lockdown, but former mob boss Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano still managed to get his hands on porn in federal jail, officials revealed.The feds got a tip that the ex-Bonanno chief was trying to pass messages through another inmate in a legal-research room at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn."

Passing a message from the MDC in Brooklyn is a far cry from getting one out of SuperMax in Florence, where Vinny will be housed until they carry him out feet first.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 06:23 PM

Re: the missing Giuseppe Renda; decimation of the Montagna faction?

There is a photo that accompanies the French-language article for which I've provided a Google translation below. The article accompanies the French-language video. (I haven't watched the video because I can't at the moment.) This is another article that stresses Giuseppe Renda is not related to Paolo Renda.

Link to original article:

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/faitsdivers/archives/2012/05/20120508-093922.html

Link to photo:

http://tvanouvelles.ca/archives/lcn/infos/faitsdivers/media/2012/05/20120508-093922-a.jpg

Google translation:

Disappearance of an alleged mafioso
Montagna clan decimated?

Published May 8th, 2012 at 09:39
Updated: May 8, 2012 at 10:46

Murders, attacks, disappearances. Relatives of Salvatore Montagna, aspiring godfather of Mafia Sicilian Montreal assassinated in November, would they be victims of a "clean" rule led by a rival clan?

The question arises, but the police did not publicly devises theory for now. The Police Service of the City of Montreal (SPVM) also treats the case of Giuseppe Renda, 53, who has not been seen since he left his home in Westmount Friday, as a loss and not a removal.

No news of her husband, who had to attend an appointment, his wife alerted police to 1:15 p.m., Friday.

The vehicle that would be an intimate Montagna was found several hours later St. Urbain Street in Little Italy. Since then, nothing that would work for Renda in the renovation.

About money or debt

"We always speak of a disappearance, despite the facts that are advanced. Here we go with what we can prove, not what you might think. According to preliminary expert opinions on the vehicle, there is no evidence that there is something criminal at the moment. We try to find him. The investigation has not been transferred to the major crimes," said Lt. Ian Lafrenière SPVM.

A native of the United States, Renda, who has no family relationship with Paolo Renda, consigliere of the Rizzuto clan kidnapped in May 2010, "would not have much in terms of criminal history," according to Ian Lafrenière.

The disappearance of the [Quadragenarian] could be related to a debt or a matter of money, according to what reported Le Journal de Montréal on Monday.

Lopresti and Pietrantonio targeted

In fall 2011, two other Montrealers related to mafia as well as Salvatore Montagna are targeted. First in October, Lorenzo Lopresti is gunned down in Saint-Laurent.

The 40 year old father was a close Rizzuto. And since Operation Coliseum, it is identified as the right arm of Antonio Pietrantonio.

A few weeks later in December, Pietrantonio, 48, alias Tony Suzuki, is shot through near a restaurant in the Rue Jarry Est. One of the main allies of the clan Rizzuto survives her attack.

Meanwhile on November 24, Salvatore Montagna, 39, fell under the bullets of a sniper in the island Vaudry in Lanaudière. He was tipped as a successor of Nicolo Rizzuto, 86, killed at his home in November 2010.

Raynald Desjardins, important figure in organized crime in Montreal itself a victim of attempted murder in Laval in September 2011, was charged with premeditated murder accomplices of Montagna at the end of 2011.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 06:35 PM

how they know he was an ally of montagna? the article is too generic to claim it

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 07:42 PM

The plot thickens regarding the missing Giuseppe Renda and his putative ties to Sal Montagna.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/with+ties+Mafia+Montreal+missing/6586743/story.html

Man with ties to Mafia in Montreal missing
By Paul Cherry, The Gazette May 8, 2012 3:07 PM

[snip]

In 2001, Renda was part of a large group of people, including several who had ties to the Rizzuto organization, arrested as part of an investigation into illegal bookmaking.

[snip]

Police sources said Renda, who was born in the U.S., used to have close ties to Gerlando Sciascia, a Mafioso who lived in Montreal for many years and was killed in New York in 1999 as part of an internal purge within the Bonanno crime family. A police source also confirmed a report, in the Journal de Montréal, that Renda was known to have ties to Salvatore (Sal the Ironworker) Montagna, a man who was believed to have been aspiring to take over as head of the Mafia in Montreal until he was killed in November on Île Vaudry, a small island just northeast of Montreal.

Police also said they believe Giuseppe Renda is not related to Paolo Renda, the brother-in-law of Vito Rizzuto, who was apparently kidnapped in 2010. Paolo Renda is still considered as missing.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/08/12 09:31 PM

according to this article joe renda had close ties to sciascia but he wasn't his nepwhew, i thought he was
but if he was close to sciascia its strange he sided with montagna now, sciascia was killed by montagna's crew in new york

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/09/12 02:24 PM

They don't specifically state that he was not the nephew of Gerlando Sciascia.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/09/12 04:57 PM

im starting to think that dimaulo-desjardins group still side with the rizzuto's, both against the montagna-arcuri group, maybe arcadi's group sided with montagna-arcuri's too, there are at least 2-3 factions vs 2-3 factions

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/09/12 06:16 PM

im starting to think that dimaulo-desjardins group still side with the rizzuto's, both against the montagna-arcuri group, maybe arcadi's group sided with montagna-arcuri's too, there are at least 2-3 factions vs 2-3 factions

I don't follow Montreal too closely, but I agree that there seems to be A LOT of factions up there.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/09/12 08:38 PM

I think the Arcadi group is either independent or siding with the remnants of the old Cotroni group rather than siding with the Montagna-Arcuri group. The Arcadi group was the dominant group in recent years and if they sided with Montagna then this group would've had an easier time taking over instead of being shattered the way they are now.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/09/12 08:57 PM

What about the siderno group and all the calabrian clans in canada. What you think there say is in the current mess sonny?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/09/12 10:01 PM

One of the earlier theories suggested that they were involved, but since then a lot of new information has come out and it seems their role is secondary at best. The Rizzuto-Cammalleri family has established ties with the Commisso clan--one of their family members is married to a Commisso member. Sal Montagna as we know made regular trips to Toronto, but it is unclear if he met with 'Ndrangheta clans or the Toronto Sicilians. I think it's the latter, although he could also have met with both.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/10/12 12:29 AM

Quote:
I think the Arcadi group is either independent or siding with the remnants of the old Cotroni group

i dont think its independent since bertolo, bruni, disalvo and others killed wer on that side
i think they side with montagna, but who knows
Posted By: KCGizzo

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/10/12 04:27 AM

One of the earlier theories suggested that they were involved, but since then a lot of new information has come out and it seems their role is secondary at best. The Rizzuto-Cammalleri family has established ties with the Commisso clan--one of their family members is married to a Commisso member. Sal Montagna as we know made regular trips to Toronto, but it is unclear if he met with 'Ndrangheta clans or the Toronto Sicilians. I think it's the latter, although he could also have met with both.

The intermarriage between Rizzuto/Cammalleri-Commisso is intriguing. Money is money, but that carries a little weight, when it comes to putting who with who or crossing possible enemies off the list. A little. Anyone have an educated guess about how many and how the factions break down?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/10/12 01:11 PM

Daniel Renaud has written that there are three to four cells in Montreal that at first formed a consortium until hostilities began.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/11/12 02:54 PM

Daniel Renaud has written that there are three to four cells in Montreal that at first formed a consortium until hostilities began.

You really need a scorecard to follow all the players up there whistle.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/11/12 03:12 PM

There are many and some are more involved than the other. Tony Mucci seems to be one of the most active players, but there are others as well. The Arcuris, Pietrantonio, maybe the Sollecitos, the Scoppas and the Armenis...

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/11/12 03:15 PM

Sonny, where do you get all of this information! is there a website which specilises in the canadian mob?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/11/12 03:17 PM

Sonny, where do you get all of this information! is there a website which specilises in the canadian mob?

When it comes to recent events mostly from Mafia Inc. and reading articles, a lot of articles.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/11/12 03:19 PM

yeh i got mafia inc, great book! problem is that theres an unbelievable amount of names! Got to read the Collapse chapter again!

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/12/12 11:30 AM

Re: the missing Giuseppe Renda; decimation of the Montagna faction?

Police seem to have been able to trace where Giuseppe Renda was and with whom, possibly, on May 4, the day he was reported missing.

Link to French-language article: http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2012/05/11/la-police-fouille-un-immeuble

Google translation:

MAFIA | INQUIRY
The police search a building

Daniel Renaud
JOURNAL DE MONTRÉAL, POSTED ON: FRIDAY, MAY 11, 2012, 11:05 P.M. | UPDATED: FRIDAY, MAY 11, 2012, 11:15 P.M

The investigation into the disappearance of mobster Giuseppe Renda has led the police to sift through a building renovation in the Plateau Mont-Royal, Thursday.

According to workers interviewed by Le Journal, an army patrol, investigators and crime scene technicians spent several hours in the building of St. Viateur, corner Jeanne-Mance, banning it.

This building could be the last place where Giuseppe Renda was seen on the morning of May 4, before his death is reported by his wife, in the evening.

According to our information, the 53 year old man, who would have experienced money problems, had an appointment with a relative of the former lieutenant of the Mafia, Agostino [BadWord], killed in July 2010, before disappearing without a trace.

Case of the disappearance

"We are still at the stage of the disappearnce. The police continue to close the doors in order to find the person," says the agent Simon Delorme.

According to our sources, Giuseppe Renda was an associate of the godfather candidate Salvatore Montagna and was very nervous, since the murder of the latter and Lorenzo LoPresti, and attempted murder against Antonio Pietrantonio, last fall.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/12/12 02:31 PM

so the caruana-cun trera would kill renda?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/12/12 03:54 PM

You really need a scorecard to follow all the players up there whistle.

lol - I have been following the Montreal War / Purge / Fighting and I am totally confused as to who is with who and which alliances are in place and which have been broken, if that info is even known. confused

I would love to see an updated timeline and maps / charts of the main players from the different factions . Anyone informed and feeling motivated??

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/12/12 04:32 PM

I would love to see an updated timeline and maps / charts of the main players from the different factions . Anyone informed and feeling motivated??

I've been busy making charts. You can find them on the real deal forum.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/12/12 04:35 PM

Post them on here Sonny...please! Not on Real Deal Forum!
Posted By: Strax

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/12/12 08:20 PM

I can't find them on real deal frown

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/12/12 10:20 PM

Probably and I'm leaning that way, but who knows. Someone who didn't want that meeting to happen coulda did it. I wanna know if Agostino was allowed to be killed b/c of revenge or his family was in the way??

C'mon Son-ny, you know some of us newbies don't have our stripes on the other side yet. Sh*t, I don't have my stripes on this one.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 11:09 AM

Why is real deal not allowing new member! Is it better then this blog in ways?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 12:52 PM

Word on the street is that Ivyleague was selling membership so the administration decided to close the books for the time being. wink

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 01:57 PM

haha! naughty naughty ;), some one invite us, only if you want to....

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 03:16 PM

Oh my God, make it stop. Quit all the whining already. It's nice over here and if you want to make it better, bring something to the table other than whaaaaaa I want into RD whaaaaaa. It's not some secret society over there. People... stop worrying about what's going on in other places and just enjoy where you are.
RD is a forum, just like this one, only it's run by a big Dutch dictator with an iron fist and his noble (although castrated) second in command.

Happy Mother's Day!
Posted By: Chopper2012

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 03:53 PM

RD is a forum, just like this one, only it's run by a big Dutch dictator with an iron fist and his noble (although castrated) second in command.

Happy Mother's Day!

Never trust the Dutch lol !

I agree 100% though. This forum is fine too, plus it's insulting to the owner/moderators of the BB to come here, and do nothing but whine about the RD and ask members if they please, please can have an invite.

Relax. Enjoy your time here, use the search function if you want to learn something about american organised crime. And if you want an invite to the RD, pm a member. Don't be so obvious about it.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 04:06 PM

Agreed with both. Although the real deal is a somewhat secret society because it's not an open forum like this one. But you can have as much fun here as over there. Now stop whining and show some respect. wink

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 04:10 PM

sorry if i pissed you all off :S, dont get me wrong I like it here but does sound interesting over there, wheny out alk about these charts etc smile
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Chopper2012

Happy Mother's Day!

Never trust the Dutch lol !

I agree 100% though. This forum is fine too, plus it's insulting to the owner/moderators of the BB to come here, and do nothing but whine about the RD and ask members if they please, please can have an invite.

Relax. Enjoy your time here, use the search function if you want to learn something about american organised crime. And if you want an invite to the RD, pm a member. Don't be so obvious about it.

yeah and let's be honest, Ivy is here as well as there so usually whatever you want to know about OC gets answered smile

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 06:51 PM

Ivyleague is the messaggero between both forums. But lately I've been told the dons are not happy with him being away too much doing business without informing them and so they question his loyalty.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 06:59 PM

On a curious note, been reading Mafia Inc today, and talked about Moreno Gallo. you know he was sent back to italy? has he tried to get back into Canada or no new lately?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 07:23 PM

Doesn't seem like it. Shortly before he left the country police had informed him that his life was in danger. I've read reports that state the Bonanno family had put out a contract on him and Desjardins because of their role in the murder of Montagna.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 08:09 PM

You think they'll try to get to him over there? The cops/rcmp/feds probably knew all along who's throwing the blows and why if they were able to notify him that he was in play. Informants in the know, with the Bonanno higher-ups? And not to be a di*k, but are you gonna post them Montreal charts over here, too?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 08:28 PM

I'm not planning to post them here anytime soon. Most of it is still guesswork anyway. As of now new information keeps popping up. Just follow the news and you will learn a lot yourself. I doubt the Bonannos are going to look for Gallo in Italy, if they are looking for him in the first place.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/13/12 08:34 PM

i wonder which side is gallo anyway, i heard tony mucci was at the funeral of cun trera, so mucci his close to both gallo and cun trera
anyway if they want they can cath gallo in italy, the bonannos have strong links to sicily and the sicilians with the ndrangheta, so if they want him dead hes not safe at all in italy

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/14/12 02:37 AM

On a curious note, been reading Mafia Inc today, and talked about Moreno Gallo. you know he was sent back to italy? has he tried to get back into Canada or no new lately?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/25/deported-killer-wants-to-return-to-canada

Quote:
MONTREAL — A suspected adviser to the Rizzuto crime family, who agreed to be deported to Italy, has done an about-face and now wants a Federal Court judge to approve his return to Canada.

Moreno Gallo, a convicted murderer and popular baker in Montreal's Little Italy neighbourhood, filed the motion days after his expulsion on Jan. 4.

The Canada Border Services Agency says Gallo has an "active implication in organized crime."

The 66-year-old had said through his lawyer that he'd rather live in Europe than face assassination amid an ongoing purge of top Rizzuto figures.

But in court documents filed in Winnipeg, Gallo says he is known as an upstanding citizen in Montreal, where he immigrated when he was nine years old.

"Our bakery employs 15 people, including members of my family," he wrote to the court. "My family and I provide donations through charities. We provide pizza to poor children and give to local campaigns. Personally I help the poor and homeless of the community. They know they can always find food and comfort in our bakery."

Gallo, from Italy's southern Calabria region, worked with the Rizzutos after an earlier affiliation with the Cotroni clan, sources tell QMI Agency. He had been under lifetime parole conditions for the 1973 murder of a drug dealer, a crime for which he served 10 years in prison.

Despite the convictions, Gallo says Canada was wrong to revoke his permanent residency.

"Authorities knew about Mr. Gallo's permanent residency since 1970 and did not act, allowing him to settle down, raise a family, (start a) business, etc," defence lawyer Marie-Helene Giroux said.

Gallo says he considers himself to be Canadian after spending 57 years in the country.

"Canada has been my home since my arrival," he argues in court documents. "I was nine when I arrived in Canada. I have no recollection of Italy."

Gallo would be subject to strict conditions if he's ever allowed to return to Canada.

Could be a long process for him to get back in though.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/14/12 04:18 PM

If he's planning to continue fighting his extradition and go back to Canada there was no reason for him to leave the country in the first place. Just after police warned him that his life was in danger he left the country.

This latest statement is probably a last effort to not loose face. Or maybe he wants to return when the dust settles. He's either permanently in Italy or because he's hiding. Arcadi did the same when he feared for his life.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 05/14/12 06:31 PM

If he's planning to continue fighting his extradition and go back to Canada there was no reason for him to leave the country in the first place. Just after police warned him that his life was in danger he left the country.

This latest statement is probably a last effort to not loose face. Or maybe he wants to return when the dust settles. He's either permanently in Italy or because he's hiding. Arcadi did the same when he feared for his life.

Thats what I figure. Hes lived in Canada for 57 years, I think he definitely wants back in, but right now, I doubt hes in a hurry to get back.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/01/12 08:43 PM

On p. 325 of the English-language Mafia inc. book is the following:

From his cell in Brooklyn, Massino managed to get a message out to a man he trusted. He asked that man to travel to Canada and inform Vito of Vitale's treachery. In the end, however, the mission fell to a member of the Gambino family. The meeting was held in a shopping centre in Longueuil, on Montreal's South Shore. Fearing he could be arrested any day, Vito fled Canada two weeks later with his wife, Giovanna.

See Excerpt from p. 325 of _Mafia inc._ Although the excact date of the meeting between this Gambino member and Vito is not provided, it must have been held in February 2003, based on the context in the paragraph.

carmela, others:

Any opinions as to whether the Gambino Family member who was an emissary was an Inzerillo? Someone related to the Inzerillos? Would Frank Cali have been too high profile to have travelled to Montreal?

Please note that the word "member" might not necessarily mean a made Gambino. Recall that Mafia inc. was written in French and then translated. As well, Canadian organized-crime writers and journalists often use the word "member" generically.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/02/12 02:12 AM

antimafia, I would say that Cali would not have been in Montreal at that time. Other than that, I am of no help. Could have been any one of them.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/04/12 07:54 PM

antimafia, I would say that Cali would not have been in Montreal at that time. Other than that, I am of no help. Could have been any one of them.

carmela:

Thanks for the insight.

Back on February 8, 2008, The Sixth Family co-author Adrian Humphreys wrote an article in Canada's National Post about the Old Bridge operation's transatlantic mafia arrests, in particular those of Filippo Casamento and Giovanni Inzerillo.

From the article:

On Jan. 22, 2004, anti-Mafia investigators in Montreal called colleagues in Toronto in a panic, saying Messrs. Casamento and Inzerillo were about to arrive at Pearson airport.

The pair was expected to fly from Sicily to Montreal but suddenly changed their destination to Toronto.

"We mustered a crew together and watched them get off the plane and check into the Sheraton hotel," said retired RCMP Staff Sergeant Larry Tronstad, who is now a partner with Detek Investigative Group, a private security firm in Toronto.

"He's walking around downtown like he'd been here a thousand times. He knew where he was going, where to get the shuttle bus, where to get his espresso."

I wonder whether changing their destination from Montreal to Toronto was a diversionary tactic. If not, I wonder whether they would have met with individuals in the old Rizzuto organization to discuss new drug routes and pipelines.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/16/12 02:32 PM

This article was posted by antimafia on the real deal forum. It suggests that members of the Rizzuto clan are making a comeback.

Link to article:

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2012/0 ... elle-large

Google translation:

Wide criminal alliance
Mafia, Hells, West End Gang, Syndicates form the network of suspected traffickers dismantled Thursday
DANIEL RENAUD
JOURNAL DE MONTREAL, POSTED ON: FRIDAY, JUNE 15, 2012, 10:30 P.M. | UPDATED: FRIDAY, JUNE 15, 2012, 10:40 P.M.

Is unity strength in this period of criminal instability? At least three distinct groups, the Mafia, the Hells, and the West End Gang operated together the cocaine trafficking ring dismantled Thursday by Montreal police.

The ten people arrested, eight men and two women, appeared yesterday in Montreal. They faced a litany of charges, including cocaine trafficking and weapons possession.

One of them, Sylvain Nuckle, 52, an individual with a heavy criminal record, would be a henchman of the West End Gang we have heard more about for the past year and a half.

Another, Marcus Barthelus, 31, is the brother of John Winsing Barthelus, member of the Syndicates, a group in the pay of the Hells Angels. Jean-Winsing was arrested in a major operation conducted in 2008, Project Axe.

The Syndicates, whose godfather is Gregory Wooley, a former member of the Rockers, a former farm club of the Hells Angels, would lead off in downtown Montreal since leaving prison guardian, almost a year ago.

Other individuals arrested have a long track record. Gaétan Ponton, 53, and Guy Therrien, 47, were sentenced to prison terms of six years and four years imprisonment for cases of hashish and cocaine from the early 2000s.

The Mafia

Among the 10 individuals arrested, there are also Nico Ouellet, 39, who has been arrested along with an Angelo Follano in 2000.

But Follano was arrested for importing drugs during the broad anti-mafia raids in 2006, Project Colisée.

To catch him, the police had approached an individual who had infiltrated the amateur baseball team in which he and his accomplices were playing.

The Rizzutos?

Other individuals targeted in the investigation that led to searches would also be linked to the Mafia, specifically the Rizzuto clan, according to reports which have however not been confirmed.

According to sources, the former dominant clan, beheaded during a vendetta orchestrated by cells of the mafia in 2009-2010, has been recovering little by little since the murder of Salvatore Montagna and the arrest of Raynald Desjardins and his conspirators, all accused of murder.

Former old allies of the Rizzutos, packed by the ephemeral new Mafia bosses, have begun to rally, four months before a possible return of the imprisoned godfather Vito Rizzuto.

Regularly in downtown Montreal, relatives of the clan would be seen in the company of people associated with bikers, street gangs or Turkish, Russian or Arabic criminal groups.

It seems more than ever in these troubled times, the trend is for the clans to unite to make money.
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/16/12 02:44 PM

nice find, thanks. whats the deal with the west end gang up there? are they still semi organized or just running on fumes? any idea about the number of members?
Posted By: EddieCoyle

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/16/12 04:19 PM

Well many people argue there really isn't an actual organization known as the West End Gang or the Irish mob in Montreal. Its a title that was simply given to a group of men, by the media/police who occasionally worked/scammed/robbed/imported together. I dont think its an organization in the mafia sense, thus no official membership. Think the Westies in New York.
At least now a days. Dunie Ryan, a Whitey-esque gangster from 30 odd years ago had a large Irish criminal organization.
I think the "West End Gang" criminals that are still active today are either former members of Ryan's old group or are descendents/apprentices of those members which is what has kept the term West End Gang alive.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 10/26/15 01:53 PM

According to Gaspare Valenti, Vinny Asaro didn't know about Sal Montagna's murder in Charlemagne, Quebec.

Link to French-language article:

http://www.lapresse.ca/international/eta...eux-mafieux.php
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 10/26/15 02:16 PM

Lol, guess he really was Persona Non Grata.

"I don't even know what's going on in Ozone Park..." And he lived there. LMAO!!!!
Posted By: gangstereport

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 10/26/15 02:22 PM

i knew he was not doing well financily but did not realize he was this broke

and what is a capo doing planning to rob a drug dealer for 2k

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 06:02 PM

Link below is to an article that may be the best thing you will have read today.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-ne...he-montagna-hit
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 06:26 PM

Good stuff.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 06:29 PM

Thank you for the article anti. Nicaso and the other author of the Business Or Blood book was on the money the entire time, all the way down to what Di Maulo told investigators. Which shows they had access to these texts years ago. But nice to see some of the actual texts sent between Desjardins and Mirarchi, that's insane. These guys are caught red handed. Its going to be interesting to see how these guys will manage to get off from this. Montagna had literally NO support, aside from the Arcuri's. And the guy who infiltrated his group and got his phone cloned for the Desjardins group is said to be Giuseppe Colapelle. Once his alliance with Desjardins ended , Montagna was literally a dead man walking. I think this puts an end to the speculation that he had backing from the Bonannos.
Posted By: Ted

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 06:30 PM

Link below is to an article that may be the best thing you will have read today.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-ne...he-montagna-hit

You weren't lying. clap
Posted By: azguy

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 07:14 PM

Fascinating, great read !!

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
Once his alliance with Desjardins ended, Montagna was literally a dead man walking.

uhwhat
Posted By: Holyoke

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 08:38 PM

That was a great read. I still can't beliveve Montagna had some people on his side. I mean, he got deported and shortly after he's all over the place making moves, meeting people etc. He had some power but... How did that happen???
Posted By: mightyhealthy

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 08:50 PM

Desjardins ended the exchange with: “K lol”

Great sendoff as you sign off on a murder.

By the way, fantastic article. Thanks.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Desjardins ended the exchange with: “K lol”

Great sendoff as you sign off on a murder.

By the way, fantastic article. Thanks.

The Gazette didn't include the message he sent after that: "OMG! U c he die? ROFL. Guy shd ttly stayd in NY. Dis how we do up in Canada 4eal. Kinda pity guy ttly had cutest butt tho.."
Posted By: mightyhealthy

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 08:54 PM

This Jack Simpson guy is a complete moron. He's lucky he's not dead now.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 08:56 PM

Why? Because of old age?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 08:59 PM

I was being sarcastic. I would like to know why would this guy, Simpson, offer to be the trigger man.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Holyoke
That was a great read. I still can't beliveve Montagna had some people on his side. I mean, he got deported and shortly after he's all over the place making moves, meeting people etc. He had some power but... How did that happen???

He really had no people on his side, his Ontario connections came from Mirarchi and Desjardins in all likelihood. He was simply someone who was willing to capitalize on Rizzuto being gone and the weakened state of his mafia family. Something Desjardins already had in mind to do long before with Giuseppe De Vito. Montagna in all likelihood simply hooked up with members of that group, which is something that's supported in the book, Business or Blood. Di Maulo brought people to him, as well as the Arcuri brothers. So everyone around him, other than maybe Tony Magi, were introduced to Montagna through other people. And again, once Desjardins withdrew his support, Montagna's Ontario connections dissipated, those who stayed with him, which were like four or five guys aside from the Arcuris, guys like Larry LoPresti and Tony Suzuki, were hit after Montagna. Suzuki survived only to be killed years later . But Montagna was the first of his group to die. Those who weren't hit afterwards abandoned his cause.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 10:22 PM

Thanks anti for the link. Was some good stuff, can't wait to see if anything else is released from up there.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/10/16 11:59 PM

He really had no people on his side, his Ontario connections came from Mirarchi and Desjardins in all likelihood. He was simply someone who was willing to capitalize on Rizzuto being gone and the weakened state of his mafia family. Something Desjardins already had in mind to do long before with Giuseppe De Vito. Montagna in all likelihood simply hooked up with members of that group, which is something that's supported in the book, Business or Blood. Di Maulo brought people to him, as well as the Arcuri brothers. So everyone around him, other than maybe Tony Magi, were introduced to Montagna through other people. And again, once Desjardins withdrew his support, Montagna's Ontario connections dissipated, those who stayed with him, which were like four or five guys aside from the Arcuris, guys like Larry LoPresti and Tony Suzuki, were hit after Montagna. Suzuki survived only to be killed years later . But Montagna was the first of his group to die. Those who weren't hit afterwards abandoned his cause.

Suzuki is still alive. But please continue pulling things out of your ass.
Posted By: ForgettableName

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/11/16 12:00 AM

guys like Larry LoPresti and Tony Suzuki, were hit after Montagna. Suzuki survived only to be killed years later .

To the best of my knowledge Tony Suzuki is still alive and well at this point, I did a check and didn't seem to find anything online about him dying, do you know otherwise?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/11/16 12:13 AM

Suzuki is still alive. But please continue pulling things out of your ass.

Jesus, you ever heard of a mistake ? I was confusing him with someone else mentioned in Business or Blood, I can't remember whom, but someone was hit, survived and then hit after Rizzuto was out and died. And again, please inform me what I'm pulling out of my ass.

Edit: It was Tonino Callochia.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/14/16 12:11 AM

Sal Montagna's wife testifies against Desjardins.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/09/i-w...-husband-killed

So ironic in so many ways.
Posted By: Wilson101

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/14/16 01:27 AM

Lol that bitch has a lot of balls. Guess she wishes everyone else would have laid down and died so her husband could live

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/14/16 03:12 AM

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/06...arrain-decrypte

French article by Journal, which supports my claim that Montagna may not have actually developed such strong ties and alliances with Southern Ontario mobsters, or many Montreal mobsters for that matter, all on his own and relied a lot on Desjardins and by extension, Vittorio Mirarchi. To his defense later on, Mirarchi at least seemed worried at the fact that Moreno Gallo had sent Montagna weapons and other things, and Montagna's claim of bringing NY guys down to aide him. Which according to Antonio Nicaso & Peter Edwards, in the Business Or Blood book, may have been some hot air.
Posted By: BronaZora

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/15/16 05:01 PM

So basically Montagna had little to no influence, any reason why they would work with him though? Perhaps to use him as a cover?

Anyways, all these articles make it seem like Desjardins was the one calling the shots and many people answered to him, did he work under Di Maulo's banner or was he a leader on his own? The guy had some serious power and influence for a non-Italian.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/15/16 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BronaZora
So basically Montagna had little to no influence, any reason why they would work with him though? Perhaps to use him as a cover?

Because they respected him, initially. Montagna was already known as a messenger between the Montreal members and New York. The authors of Mafia Inc. state in their book that after Montagna settled in Montreal and was introduced to Desjardins that the two decided to work together and conspire against the Rizzuto family.

Quote:
Anyways, all these articles make it seem like Desjardins was the one calling the shots and many people answered to him, did he work under Di Maulo's banner or was he a leader on his own? The guy had some serious power and influence for a non-Italian.

I haven't seen much evidence to suggest that was he actually working for Di Maulo. But I'm sure that Di Maulo's status helped him to achieve his own.
Posted By: mike68

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/15/16 06:48 PM

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/man-shot-dead-in-mirabel-suspect-flees-by-bicycle

Not sure if this is OC linked yet.

Quote:
The man was alone in his car when he was shot at least once in the parking lot of the Centre de Dépannage St-Janvier on Victor St. near the corner of Gladu St. about 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday. He was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead, said Sûreté du Québec Sgt. Mélanie Dumaresq.

The SQ is taking charge of the investigation, but have so far not said whether the incident is linked to organized crime.
Posted By: BronaZora

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/15/16 07:26 PM

Because they respected him, initially. Montagna was already known as a messenger between the Montreal members and New York. The authors of Mafia Inc. state in their book that after Montagna settled in Montreal and was introduced to Desjardins that the two decided to work together and conspire against the Rizzuto family.

I can't imagine being a Bonnano meant a whole lot at this time in Montreal. So I'm guessing they just took him on board as an extra body for help because he was already a mobster and knew the game? He probably assumed that he can run them because he had a high rank back in NY and they welcomed him, guess he was wrong.

Quote:

I haven't seen much evidence to suggest that was he actually working for Di Maulo. But I'm sure that Di Maulo's status helped him to achieve his own.

So then who did he answer to? I understand that prior to all of this Vito was his boss and he was a close associate, but if he ran this crew and flipped on the Rizzuto family, who was giving the orders if not for Di Maulo? Why would Vito kill Di Maulo? Obviously it was either he was the head or one of the leaders of the opposition, or he chose to keep quite and do nothing to stop the war.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/15/16 08:42 PM

This is easily the greatest mob family story in the last 25 years, murder, deceit, text messages, etc.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 06/15/16 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: BronaZora

I can't imagine being a Bonnano meant a whole lot at this time in Montreal. So I'm guessing they just took him on board as an extra body for help because he was already a mobster and knew the game? He probably assumed that he can run them because he had a high rank back in NY and they welcomed him, guess he was wrong.

I guess they took him in because he represented the Bonannos and killing Nick Rizzuto would've required an official sanction.

Quote:
So then who did he answer to? I understand that prior to all of this Vito was his boss and he was a close associate, but if he ran this crew and flipped on the Rizzuto family, who was giving the orders if not for Di Maulo? Why would Vito kill Di Maulo? Obviously it was either he was the head or one of the leaders of the opposition, or he chose to keep quite and do nothing to stop the war.

I think that he answered to himself. By that time Desjardins had become a force to be reckoned with. But I've little doubt that at the very least he had support from Di Maulo for obvious reasons. I think Di Maulo was killed for not only doing anything to stop the putch, but also because he seemed to have had an advisory role to Desjardins and in effect Montagna.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/11/16 04:33 PM

There are one or two good photos that accompany the article, which itself is a fine example of crime reporting.

"Les derniers mois de liberté d’un caïd"

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/09/11/les-derniers-mois-de-liberte-dun-caid

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/11/16 06:04 PM

Montanga was also a former NY acting boss. Desjardins and Co. probably saw him as competent and experienced and brought him into the fold.
Posted By: dsd

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/11/16 07:29 PM

Off Topic but related to Bonanno's;
Back in the 60's, some CI says Gribbs (Tramunti) was going to be given Boss rank of Bonanno family.

http://maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docI...=4&tab=page
Posted By: mikeyballs211

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 05:47 AM

[quote=antimafia]There are one or two good photos that accompany the article, which itself is a fine example of crime reporting.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/09/11/les-derniers-mois-de-liberte-dun-caid [/quote

Thanks for the post..but is there anyway to get the article translated?
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 08:27 AM

http://gangstersoutt.blogspot.nl/2016/09/sentence-hearing-delayed-again-for.html

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211
[quote=antimafia]There are one or two good photos that accompany the article, which itself is a fine example of crime reporting.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/09/11/les-derniers-mois-de-liberte-dun-caid [/quote

Thanks for the post..but is there anyway to get the article translated?

mikey:

Your options:

1. Use Google Translate (translate.google.com) by copying and pasting the article link in the empty field.

2. If you're on a laptop/PC, use the mouse to right-click on the article -- you will probably see a menu option to translate the article to English.

3. If you're using the Chrome browser on a laptop/PC, Chrome may automatically translate for you -- this depends on your settings.

The article to which I first linked is part 1 of a 3-part series. Below is the link to part 2:

"Caïd nerveux, mais accueillant"

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/09/12/caid-nerveux-mais-accueillant

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 02:30 PM

The first article you posted on this page yesterday, Anti, the one with the photo of Vito Rizzuto sitting on the arm of the chair , laughing and looking down at another man, who's the guy next to him? I'm assuming Joe DiMaulo but not certain. Eery seeing the photos from the attempt on Desjardins and then the photo of the glass door of Jack Simpsons home that Montagna jumped through after Simpson began shooting at him.
Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 02:53 PM

The first article you posted on this page yesterday, Anti, the one with the photo of Vito Rizzuto sitting on the arm of the chair , laughing and looking down at another man, who's the guy next to him? I'm assuming Joe DiMaulo but not certain.

That's Jacques Desjardins, Raynald's brother.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 06:48 PM

The first article you posted on this page yesterday, Anti, the one with the photo of Vito Rizzuto sitting on the arm of the chair , laughing and looking down at another man, who's the guy next to him? I'm assuming Joe DiMaulo but not certain. [snip]

I'm not seeing that photo. When I first saved the article in Evernote, the photo at the following URL was saved along with it:

http://storage.journaldemontreal.com/v1/...5&size=968x

Online today, I'm also seeing the photo of just Rizzuto alone.

Are you viewing the article on a mobile? Whether yes or no, do you have the URL for the image you're asking about?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 07:34 PM

The first article you posted on this page yesterday, Anti, the one with the photo of Vito Rizzuto sitting on the arm of the chair , laughing and looking down at another man, who's the guy next to him? I'm assuming Joe DiMaulo but not certain. [snip]

I'm not seeing that photo. When I first saved the article in Evernote, the photo at the following URL was saved along with it:

Are you viewing the article on a mobile? Whether yes or no, do you have the URL for the image you're asking about?

That's the photo he's talking about. And again, the man with Vito is Raynald's brother, Jacques Desjardins.
http://storage.journaldemontreal.com/v1/...&version=25

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 07:40 PM

That photo of Sal Montagna's body is haunting. And that glass door he jumped through. I can't help but feel horrible for his wife and daughters. There is nothing worse than losing someone you love dearly, especially when they're still young and have so much left.

http://storage.journaldemontreal.com/v1/...&version=16

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto

That's the photo he's talking about. And again, the man with Vito is Raynald's brother, Jacques Desjardins.
http://storage.journaldemontreal.com/v1/...&version=25

Unfortunately, I can't see the photo of Rizzuto with Desjardins' brother; I see only the photo of Rizzuto in a tuxedo (taken on the wedding day for his son Nick Jr.).

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 08:16 PM

The story about what has happened in the last 5 years up there is an epic one, Vito gets out and everything that followed.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/12/16 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: azguy
The story about what has happened in the last 5 years up there is an epic one, Vito gets out and everything that followed.

It's the most interesting mob story I've ever heard. It's just an insane turn of events lol. And I'm factoring in Anthony Casso, the mafia cops, Gotti, Scarfo, Meyer Lansky. All those people ain't got shit on Montreal.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! - 09/13/16 11:30 AM

Here's the link to the third of three articles published over the last three days by Le Journal de Montréal:

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/09/13/mafieux-sous-pression

"Mafieux sous pression"
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET