Home

The Role of the Consigliere

Posted By: Mooney

The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 01:43 PM

Back when La cosa Nostra meant something the consigliere position was a very important position. A role for someone with experience, knowledge and a level mind. It seems over the years this position has turned into a sort of pseudo underboss position, an almost under-underboss, a watered down version of what it used to be. More and more you see guys who don't seem as qualified getting named consigliere.

Has the importance of this role died? Is there really room for a Counselor anymore? Or has it become just another spot in the ranks.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 02:04 PM

Its been dead for a long time, i cant remember an old, wise mobster who had the role of consiglieri. Its just a title now.
Posted By: ronnie_little

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 02:25 PM

I would still say the Genovese still have old timers in this position. Just my opinion, James Ida, Lawrence Dentico, Quiet Dom.
Posted By: LordSlickNutz

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 02:25 PM

The last wiseguys who truly fit the role of consigliere were probably Stevie Beef or Joe Gallo and that was a bloody long time ago.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 02:42 PM

Very interesting thread.

In the past, a consigliere was elected by all members of the Family based upon respect. They functioned as somebody who could be relied upon for advice and counsel. With a few exceptions, he was never appointed by the boss. Therfore a boss could not strip him from his rank unless the capos and soldiers of the Family demanded it.
The consigliere was a buffer who protected the common soldier´s interests and he served as a liason between the Family´s members and the boss.

A consigliere was also responsible for maintaining the Family´s money fund. This money was loaned out to members when they were in trouble with the law or for business purposes.

I don´t know how this position functions today. But I suppose when the old mafia tradition got lost, the role of a consigliere changed. It seems that today, it´s just another rank.

Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 02:45 PM

you guys are forgetting the best consigliere of all time, Silvio Dante!
Posted By: LordSlickNutz

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 02:50 PM

@Nicky

Haha. I wouldn't mind a consigliere who gets his hand dirty. When Sil killed Burt, I was like the guy still got it.

@Hairy

Thanks for remind me, I nearly forgot consigliere's traditional role. They really remind of Roman tribunate as protector of the common people and in this case the soldiers of a Borgata.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: LordSlickNutz
@Nicky

Thanks for remind me, I nearly forgot consigliere's traditional role. They really remind of Roman tribunate as protector of the common people and in this case the soldiers of a Borgata.

Yes. In fact, many segments from the Roman culture could/can still be found in the mafia.
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 04:33 PM

I always thought Gravano was a good one. He was a good earner,wasn't a hothead,and could be counted on to do hits if need be. His only problem is that he had a moron as his boss. I wonder if Frank decicco was boss how different things would have been
Posted By: flamingokid123

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: JCrusher
I always thought Gravano was a good one. He was a good earner,wasn't a hothead,and could be counted on to do hits if need be. His only problem is that he had a moron as his boss. I wonder if Frank decicco was boss how different things would have been

Didn't Gravano kill a few Gambino members for no other reason, than taking over there constuction businesses? If I was a Gambino member in construction, I wouldn't want him as my Consigliere.

Wasn't Gravano really short, and used hit the gym really hard and there were rumors about steroids? All those things = hothead.
Posted By: phatmatress

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Gravano was a greedy hateful selfish hot head...killing anyone that he thoughtwas a threat to him or could take over their business not good qualities in a counselor...
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 07:43 PM

relax i wasn't saying he was a great guy or anything lol but he made money,he made hits,and he was never caught on wiretaps. Also he was a younger guy which could have been a good or bad thing. i understand people dont like Gravano because he was a rat but i was just making an observation
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/20/11 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Mooney
Back when La cosa Nostra meant something the consigliere position was a very important position. A role for someone with experience, knowledge and a level mind. It seems over the years this position has turned into a sort of pseudo underboss position, an almost under-underboss, a watered down version of what it used to be. More and more you see guys who don't seem as qualified getting named consigliere.

Has the importance of this role died? Is there really room for a Counselor anymore? Or has it become just another spot in the ranks.

You basically summed it up. The position has definitely changed. It's no longer some older guy, semi-retired, who all the family looks to for guidance - like a Tony Accardo. It's now just the #3 guy in the administration who often oversees a certain faction or crew of the family and it's operations.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/21/11 11:29 AM

I have always thought the role was overrated. There are some intelligent, financially savvy or politically connected mobsters ("fixers") who have performed a lot of what we're told a consigliere does but that was because they already had those skill sets and were performing those roles even before their appointment to that role.

With the exception of people who were in actuality the boss in all but name (Accardo) or people who had their own power base (Caponigro) I think most consiglieres, like everyone else in the Family were appointed by and served at the pleasure of the boss.

The boss can do whatever he likes to the consigliere; he's the boss.
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: The Role of the Consigliere - 11/25/11 01:20 PM

I think it's a shame that this position has been reduced so much over the years. While it may be overrated as Lilo says in today's world, it was a position that worked back in the golden era of the Mafia. I think as time progressed and people didn't follow the rules anymore, this position became more token than anything else.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET