Home

Turning Down the Button

Posted By: pizzaboy

Turning Down the Button - 10/31/11 03:12 PM

Interesting article in today's Post. It speaks of one of the many changes to the mob life that we've discussed here over the years. To me the irony is that, years ago, turning down your button could get you killed. It was also unheard of. Today it could save you a lot of aggravation.

La cosa ‘no’stra
Wary mob goons turning down promotions

By MITCHEL MADDUX, NY Post
October 31, 2011

It’s an honor they can live without.

Becoming a “made” member of one of the city’s five crime families was once the goal of every ambitious mobster -- and an offer definitely not to be refused -- but those days are gone, authorities told The Post.

With rats lurking around every corner and aggressive feds breathing down wiseguys’ necks, many lower-ranking Mafiosi have been doing what was once unthinkable -- saying “no thanks’’ to the title.

Low-level associates may earn less, but there’s also a better chance they’ll stay out of prison.

They believe that becoming a made man or soldier makes them a bigger target for the FBI, experts say.

“Getting your ‘button’ is like putting an ‘X’ on your back. You’re basically on the radar,” a law-enforcement source said.

A Brooklyn federal prosecutor just last week detailed how Joseph Petillo -- “a longtime and very well-respected associate” of the Colombo crime family -- recently decided to pass on an offer to be made.

“The Colombo family believed, based on Mr. Petillo’s prior history, that he would be a valuable member of the Colombo family. The Colombo family sought his membership,” Assistant US Attorney Liz Geddes told a federal judge.

But in the end, Petillo “turned down an offer of membership,” Geddes said.

Other criminals have made similar decisions -- among them Gambino, Bonanno and other Colombo crime-family associates, sources say.

Some modern mobsters have other reasons.

One Gambino associate declined an offer because “he didn’t want to put the crime family before his own family,” a source said, referring to the mob’s oath of allegiance, which calls for members to do just that.

Some mob associates who run lucrative illicit businesses also believe they can make more money if they aren’t made, because members have to “kick up” a larger percentage of their earnings to the family’s leadership, experts said.

By remaining an associate, “you’re more independent, you’re more on your own,” a defense lawyer explained.

Such decisions are a far cry from the heyday of the New York mob in the 1970s, when turning down an offer to become a made man was tantamount to signing your own death warrant.

“Years ago, it would be like disobeying orders -- literally from the boss,” an attorney said.

Today, in certain circumstances, the mob leadership appears to understand and accept the reasoning behind turning down promotions.

When Colombo associate Francis “B.F.” Guerra declined an offer from the Colombos, he had the heft and standing within the mob community to make such a decision without repercussions, FBI Agent Scott Curtis testified recently.

“Everybody knows his reputation and all the criminal activities he’s done in the past. He doesn’t need a title to carry that reputation around,” Curtis said.

“It depends who they were and their reputation.’’

Other experts say the decision to remain an associate is a clever move that might help a mobster sidestep charges under the feds’ powerful racketeering, or RICO, statutes, which require prosecutors to prove membership in a criminal enterprise.

John Meringolo, a New York Law School professor, said that in the eyes of the Justice Department, “a ‘soldier’ is automatically involved in the RICO conspiracy.”

Proving an associate was involved in a RICO conspiracy can be more challenging, he said.

mmaddux@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/la_cosa_no_stra_LH9RdDb0S9tLBirtD19ZDM#ixzz1cN9p2URd
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Turning Down the Button - 10/31/11 03:24 PM

Who wants to be in the Colombo crime family nowadays anyway. whistle

Re: Turning Down the Button - 10/31/11 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

lol
Posted By: LeroyJones

Re: Turning Down the Button - 10/31/11 03:30 PM

There's always some stupid kid or some moron neighborhood guy that has probably wanted a button more then anything, especially in NY. I bet they can find new recruits, maybe from the bottom of the barrel though. crazy
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Turning Down the Button - 10/31/11 04:02 PM

If i was a criminal, and had Italian heritage. I would have joined the mafia, i would prefer the Genoveses or Bonannos. I would run things low profile, and grab the top spot when the right time comes. So my vote would be, hell yeah grin
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Turning Down the Button - 10/31/11 05:30 PM

i would prefer the genovese or the lucchese family, the colombos? lol they would have to buy me off to get me to agree to be made into that borgata, and that would require a few million at least
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Turning Down the Button - 10/31/11 05:34 PM

It seems like this mostly counts for the ones associated with the Colombo, Gambino and Bonanno families. It's not suprising to say the least as these families were hit hard by the authorities in the past and are tradtionally the most visible to the public. When they elect a new boss, it would not take long before everyone knows it.

However, the Genoveses are very secretive when it comes to initiation ceremonies, which explains why they aren't mentioned. This probably doesn't count for them.
Posted By: Mooney

Re: Turning Down the Button - 10/31/11 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: LeroyJones

There's always some stupid kid or some moron neighborhood guy that has probably wanted a button more then anything, especially in NY. I bet they can find new recruits, maybe from the bottom of the barrel though. crazy

Exactly, and the mobs leniency towards turning down your button will ultimately lead to more idiots being made, it will definitely thin the ranks of the smarter people.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/01/11 01:02 AM

Even today this is probably the exception to the rule. For every guy that turns it down once in a blue moon, there are a dozen others that want it.
Posted By: Boardwalkguy

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/01/11 01:04 AM

They can keep their Buttons! If your going to be in then you better do it Right with A Zipper ! Aka. zips !
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/01/11 02:35 AM

Right.

Its funnier if you think of some guy going "Fuck buttons! Fuckin zippers man, thats where its at!" while repeatedly zipping and unzipping his tracksuit jacket.

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Even today this is probably the exception to the rule. For every guy that turns it down once in a blue moon, there are a dozen others that want it.

True that. Even so, for every ten or so guys that supposedly turned down the offer, or at least claim they did, it seems one or two did for real.
Posted By: phatmatress

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/01/11 04:38 AM

the key word in that sentence is moron which
would what u would have to be to join the colombos.
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/01/11 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
True that. Even so, for every ten or so guys that supposedly turned down the offer, or at least claim they did, it seems one or two did for real.

I think that it might be the other way around.

Funny how the Genovese don't seam to have this issue...

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/01/11 06:46 AM

How do you mean?

Many guys over the years have claimed they were offered a button, but that they turned it down. Rats like Ralph Natale, Fat Vinny Teresa, nobodies like Joey O Masella amongst others, guy's who we really shouldn't be inclined to believe. But for every bunch of bums like that, there's a guy like Petillo who it seems really did turn the offer down.
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/01/11 10:01 AM

In the modern age what are the real benefits to being made? Seems there are many draw-backs today!
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/01/11 10:41 AM

There is benefit, think about it. You become a boss, you will get tribute from hundreds of made guys, this can amount up to millions a year. Sure it is hell, constant threat of being killed or jailed. But when money is in the game, most people will glad to have a button and try to become a boss.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/01/11 08:26 PM

The benefit's of being made;

*you get to kick up half your loot to the boss!
*you get to be called to meetings at any hour of the day, even if "your mother was on her death bed"!
*you cant get whacked! (Well, unless you are. Then you can totally get whacked!)
*you're automatically guilty of a RICO conspiracy by being a member of a criminal organization!

Wait, did I say benefits?
Posted By: yigido

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/02/11 04:27 PM

i dont understand this rico how can you be indicted for being made and what if they cant prove you are made?
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/02/11 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: yigido
i dont understand this rico how can you be indicted for being made and what if they cant prove you are made?

You can't be indicted directly for being a made member of the LCN. But proof of your membership can be used to form a larger RICO case.
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/04/11 10:23 AM

I thought that this was fascinating. I don't know how wide spread this sentiment is, but it certainly raises some eyebrows. Of course for there to be non made members, there must be an organization that has made members so there is that.
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/11/11 10:34 AM

According to Bill Bonanno, his grandfather Calogero Labruzzo was supposed to become made and was brought into a room where a induction ceremony was being held.
He noticed a man he gravely disliked and asked if he was a part of this group. They answered him that he was.
"If he´s part of it, then I don´t want any part of this", Labruzzo said and walked out of the room.
The disliked member admitted that he in the past had wronged Labruzzo for some reason untold.
But keep in mind that this was in the late 20s and a display of such disrespect from Labruzzo´s part would normally mean a certain, instant death.
But Labruzzo was known as the nutty guy on the block and him being the future father in law of Joe Bonanno´s, probably saved his life.
Posted By: yigido

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/11/11 08:27 PM

so some guys turn down the button but what about those NY guys who went to the decalvalcantes to get made? well atleast if its true i saw it on the documentary the real sopranos or something like that.
Posted By: AmericanCrime

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/17/11 12:38 AM

In Murder Machine there's this anecdote where Nino Gaggi tries explaining to Roy DeMeo that he wouldn't like being made.

Even tho the real reason was likely cause Castellano was against it, Gaggi said that Roy had more freedom as an associate. He didn't have to adhere strictly to the rules and be held as accountable as a made man does.

So perhaps that's another reason connected guys turn down their button, especially in a day where the other pros of being made can be undesirable
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/17/11 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: yigido
so some guys turn down the button but what about those NY guys who went to the decalvalcantes to get made? well atleast if its true i saw it on the documentary the real sopranos or something like that.

Ya I saw that. the reason they went to get made with the decalvacantes is because they couldn't get made in new york. Even though the sopranos makes it appear that jersey is a srtong mafia family it really isn't in real life
Posted By: tiger84

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/17/11 10:53 AM

I dont understand how a NY guy can go to jersey and become a made member doesnt he have to know the jersey guys for years and do buisness with them
Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/17/11 11:40 AM

Those NY guys that ended up with the NJ Family were regarded by the NY Families as pretty much unusable. They didn´t want them. But they still vouched for them.
When "tranfered" to the NJ Family, they were still only "connected guys" and it wasn´t like they were being made overnight. In some cases, it took years before they got made and during that time they were carefully evaluated by the NJ bosses.

One funny thing about it is that the NY Families put an end to NJs recruitment of NY guys and withdraw their consent of it.
This was in the 80s (I think) when the talent pool (even in NY) was getting slimmer. However, this didn´t stop the NY Families from recruiting guys from New Jersey!
Posted By: LordSlickNutz

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/19/11 04:30 AM

I get how in general NY look down upon the DeCavalcantes, considering two (you can argued three) of the Five Families' Jersey factions alone have more manpower, presence and power over the Dimeo/Soprano (opps...I mean DeCavalcante :p) Family.
Although, it must be said that not all wiseguys from the DeCavalcantes are treated as inferior. In fact, some were feared even by NY wiseguys. I recalled reading an article about Vinny Ocean where he scared Joe Colombo's son (who is a made guy) and made him backed down over a dispute. However, we are talking about Joe Colombo's son here, who made "Godfather III" before Godfather III was out and also the same one got beat up by Sammy Gravano.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/19/11 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Those NY guys that ended up with the NJ Family were regarded by the NY Families as pretty much unusable. They didn´t want them. But they still vouched for them.
When "tranfered" to the NJ Family, they were still only "connected guys" and it wasn´t like they were being made overnight. In some cases, it took years before they got made and during that time they were carefully evaluated by the NJ bosses.

One funny thing about it is that the NY Families put an end to NJs recruitment of NY guys and withdraw their consent of it.
This was in the 80s (I think) when the talent pool (even in NY) was getting slimmer. However, this didn´t stop the NY Families from recruiting guys from New Jersey!

it was the mid-1990s

"During the mid 1990s, Amari and Vitabile, now the most powerful members of the family, were present in a sitdown with representatives of the Gambino and Colombo crime families in New York City, as the DeCavalcante crime family had been recruiting reputed Mafia associates Louis "Louie Eggs" Consalvo and Gregory Rago, who together operated a social club on Mott Street and held criminal interests in New York City. The only problem was that, since these two mobsters were based in New York, their profit and activities should have gone to one of the Five Families, in this instance, either the Gambino crime family or the Colombo crime family. Reputed Gambino family captain Nicholas "Little Nick" Corozzo and Colombo family Consigliere Vincenzo "Vinny" Aloi were present during the sitdown. The conflict was eventually resolved peacefully when it was ruled the DeCavalcante crime family could no longer 'make' members outside of New Jersey and South Philadelphia, which was another area that the DeCavalcantes had traditionally recruited from."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacomo_Amari#Sitdown_with_New_York

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/19/11 06:22 AM

Originally Posted By: LordSlickNutz
I get how in general NY look down upon the DeCavalcantes, considering two (you can argued three) of the Five Families' Jersey factions alone have more manpower, presence and power over the Dimeo/Soprano (opps...I mean DeCavalcante :p) Family.
Although, it must be said that not all wiseguys from the DeCavalcantes are treated as inferior. In fact, some were feared even by NY wiseguys. I recalled reading an article about Vinny Ocean where he scared Joe Colombo's son (who is a made guy) and made him backed down over a dispute. However, we are talking about Joe Colombo's son here, who made "Godfather III" before Godfather III was out and also the same one got beat up by Sammy Gravano.

where did u see that about gravano and colombo's kid? you have a link?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/19/11 06:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

There you go.

Quote:
Ironically, Gravano had already met the family boss, Joseph Colombo, some time earlier. In Underboss, Gravano describes the incident:
“I beat up both his sons one time. In a movie house. We had this argument and I got in a fight with Joseph Junior, who was younger than me, and I broke his ass. He went and got his big brother, Anthony, who comes and it’s the same result. I’ll never forget it. Joe Colombo sent for me, he called me down. He looks at me and says, ‘You beat up both my sons? You must be pretty tough. Did you know they were my sons?’”

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/19/11 06:55 AM

Originally Posted By: LordSlickNutz

There you go.

Quote:
Ironically, Gravano had already met the family boss, Joseph Colombo, some time earlier. In Underboss, Gravano describes the incident:
“I beat up both his sons one time. In a movie house. We had this argument and I got in a fight with Joseph Junior, who was younger than me, and I broke his ass. He went and got his big brother, Anthony, who comes and it’s the same result. I’ll never forget it. Joe Colombo sent for me, he called me down. He looks at me and says, ‘You beat up both my sons? You must be pretty tough. Did you know they were my sons?’”

oh yeaa i remember reading that in gravanos book

thanks for posting

Re: Turning Down the Button - 11/19/11 06:59 AM

No worries. smile

I have enjoyed reading through your comments in this forum.
Posted By: FrankMazola

Re: Turning Down the Button - 06/04/12 07:54 AM

I think the problem with recruitment also is because of where these guys live. If you're a 5 families/ Decavalcante guy; you don't live in Ozone Park or Bay Ridge or North Ward Newark. These areas are majority ethnic, no hiring pool there. Today's made guys live in Caldwell or Rockland County or some other "nice" suburbia township. Your next door neighbor is an Insurance Salesman and your wife shops at Walmart. It's not like the old days where made guys lived in the areas they work. I think that has a big effect on recruiting or hiring or whatever you're gona call it.
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Turning Down the Button - 06/04/12 12:48 PM

I support the new generation of g's,why do you need to be a made man,its like a curse...
Posted By: danielperrygin

Re: Turning Down the Button - 06/04/12 01:07 PM

I agree, why join the losing team when you can build the Yankees on your own.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 06/04/12 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: FrankMazola
I think the problem with recruitment also is because of where these guys live. If you're a 5 families/ Decavalcante guy; you don't live in Ozone Park or Bay Ridge or North Ward Newark. These areas are majority ethnic, no hiring pool there. Today's made guys live in Caldwell or Rockland County or some other "nice" suburbia township. Your next door neighbor is an Insurance Salesman and your wife shops at Walmart. It's not like the old days where made guys lived in the areas they work. I think that has a big effect on recruiting or hiring or whatever you're gona call it.

It's called assimilation, and you're right on the money.
Posted By: streetbossliborio

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 04:56 PM

lol turning down a button! very clever.
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: streetbossliborio
lol turning down a button! very clever.

I'd say it is nowadays. Unless your not being sarcastic?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 05:24 PM

oh no sarcasm meant there. with rico and general heat and rats etc would be better to be a strong associate of course! v interesting

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 05:29 PM

how about if the genovese offered you the button? they are the elite family after all?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: streetbossliborio
how about if the genovese offered you the button?

Do Genovese guys NOT die in jail, too? whistle

It's all subjective and all a matter of opinion anyway. But as one of the few guys on this site who's old enough to remember when having your button actually meant something, I'd have to say that you'd be out of your fucking tree to even consider it in this day and age.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 06:44 PM

haha true but they seem to not have any rats, so if any of the guys (idiots) who still want to get made had to choose they would be wisest to choose the elite family?
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 07:42 PM

Being made puts you officially as a member of criminal organization, which can be used against you in a racketeering case. And why? To have respect? Buttons dont give u respect. Half the guys with buttons dont deserve them. Or so u can have a crew under you, that you can boss around and get "tribute" from? But guess what, now ur responsible for every action of the guys under u. Congrats ur now responsible for 10 roid junkies with short tempers. You can make money just about anyway, except maybe lending without being connected. You dont need to be made to have guys work for you. Im sure there are advantages but shit. A stripe is like an extra 10 yrs in prison.
Posted By: bronx

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 09:01 PM

older guy they called flip,,with jr. chilli turned it down..so did danny fama recently,

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 11:41 PM

Yo bronx do you know if vinny dragonettis dad is a made guy too?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Skinny

He's made for sure, Skin. And he just caught a huge break when he got sentenced a couple weeks ago wink.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/23/13 11:59 PM

Didn't Louis "Gigi the whale" Inglese turn down getting his button?
Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

He's made for sure, Skin. And he just caught a huge break when he got sentenced a couple weeks ago wink.

I noticed a few gambino guys caught a break and were sentenced to go help out with the hurricane sandy recovery efforts.
Posted By: red

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Mooney

Exactly, and the mobs leniency towards turning down your button will ultimately lead to more idiots being made, it will definitely thin the ranks of the smarter people.

jus remember dat when youse operate on da buttons turf you gotta pay 40% on anyting made.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

I noticed a few gambino guys caught a break and were sentenced to go help out with the hurricane sandy recovery efforts.

If the proper restrictions were taken they could really get things moving with recovery efforts by using not just Gambino's but other con's a shot at some legtimate work given they know what their doing.
Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 12:47 AM

Joerusso turned down a button.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

If the proper restrictions were taken they could really get things moving with recovery efforts by using not just Gambino's but other con's a shot at some legtimate work given they know what their doing.

Bout to say, if you throw too many wiseguys in a recovery effort you might get a few shady companies trying to get in on the cleanup.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 12:51 AM

His dad is?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 12:55 AM

Bout to say, if you throw too many wiseguys in a recovery effort you might get a few shady companies trying to get in on the cleanup.

They are already there without the wiseguys
Posted By: Flushing

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: FrankMazola

Your point is well taken. But there are plenty of Italians still in Bay Ridge. Not like old days, but not completely gone like Newark or South Ozone.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 02:57 AM

Good stuff,

Not that he could be made but Jimmy Burke did very well as an associate but got pinched in the end anyway. Seams that today being made without all the tradition and honor of years ago must be a very difficult decision.

DP
Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: DuesPaid
Good stuff,

Not that he could be made but Jimmy Burke did very well as an associate but got pinched in the end anyway. Seams that today being made without all the tradition and honor of years ago must be a very difficult decision.

DP

Good point. A good associate can receive respect it would appear and earn a good amount of money without the other rigamarole. The need for being made seems to be more of a title thing than anything else.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 06:07 PM

Andrew Gigante is the perfect modern day example. Now granted, he's Chin's son. But Chin is dead going on 8 years now, and sentiment towards unmade sons in that life is generally very fleeting. After a year or so, no one gives a shit.

He never got straightened out because a) His father didn't want it for him, and b) he didn't want it for himself. And he's just as well respected today as he was the day his father died. That's very telling. He's a gentleman, a class act, and a very astute businessman. Why bother becoming a fucking wiseguy today? If he had taken his button ten or twenty years ago, with the last name Gigante, he'd probably be in fucking Marion today rolleyes.

Now his half brother, the Esposito kid, does have his button. But I suspect that's because being the "illigitimate one," it made him feel like he had to get closer to his father. That's what I'd always heard, anyway. He didn't have to feel that way, though. I understand that Chin loved all of his kids the same (although I doubt he'd be too happy with his daughter's book ohwell ).
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 06:18 PM

When Gotti Sr. told the Chin tha he was going to straighten out his son, didn't the Chin tell him, "Sorry to hear that John"

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 07:17 PM

That family is set for life. Its like u need to be related to Chin just to be liscensed to repair containers in jersey
Posted By: cookcounty

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 10:53 PM

That family is set for life. Its like u need to be related to Chin just to be liscensed to repair containers in jersey

it's better to be from outta town if u wanna make money in new jersey

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 11:04 PM

He's a gentleman, a class act, and a very astute businessman.

This is very true. The guy is a very smart, hardworker thats for sure. A coworker of mine who graduated with him from Scranton back in 2002 introduced us at an industry conference, class act 100%.

Its like u need to be related to Chin just to be liscensed to repair containers in jersey

It's not THAT crazy, but I see your point. LOL
Posted By: SiciNy

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bronx
older guy they called flip,,with jr. chilli turned it down..so did danny fama recently,

who was Flip? and wasnt junior brooklyn and staten island based?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/24/13 11:36 PM

BF Guerra turned his down also

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: SiciNy

Staten island/nj. They were from LES tho i think

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: cookcounty

I disagree 100%

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 12:15 AM

LES?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 12:24 AM

^^lower east side

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 12:31 AM

^^lower east side

yea thanks Dap, im a spoostie. i was just smoking a stog and the light bulb turned on.

didnt he come up with Sonny Reds crew downtown?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 12:32 AM

ru nuts....u must never have lived in NJ.

its def easier when u kno someone

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 12:40 AM

Yea lol sorry
Posted By: tiger84

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 01:34 AM

Andrew Gigante is the perfect modern day example. Now granted, he's Chin's son. But Chin is dead going on 8 years now, and sentiment towards unmade sons in that life is generally very fleeting. After a year or so, no one gives a shit.

He never got straightened out because a) His father didn't want it for him, and b) he didn't want it for himself. And he's just as well respected today as he was the day his father died. That's very telling. He's a gentleman, a class act, and a very astute businessman. Why bother becoming a fucking wiseguy today? If he had taken his button ten or twenty years ago, with the last name Gigante, he'd probably be in fucking Marion today rolleyes.

Now his half brother, the Esposito kid, does have his button. But I suspect that's because being the "illigitimate one," it made him feel like he had to get closer to his father. That's what I'd always heard, anyway. He didn't have to feel that way, though. I understand that Chin loved all of his kids the same (although I doubt he'd be too happy with his daughter's book ohwell ).

i understand what your saying but andrew gigante had so many connections because of his father he didnt need to get made so he could make money and to meet people.

But say some roided up staten island guy with no family in lcn hooks up with a crew then this guy needs to and wants to get made so he can then have more money making opputnities.

Barneys kids arnt made but his sons probably have more contacts in any kind of industry than 99% of made guys

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 01:49 AM

Hahaha yo jr u reading this?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 04:55 AM

Yo What's Up Family ? You chillin skinny u good fam ?

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 02:50 PM

7 different mafia families operate in new jersey

some fraudulent bloods moved into new jersey and took over

seems like jersey's homegrown criminals are second rate

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 03:40 PM

Do you live in New Jersey pal? We know you don't so I would suggest shutting up about shit you clearly are ignorant about

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 04:15 PM

^^^^^^^^^

so new jersey doesn't have 7 families operating in the state?

even though they only have 1 homegrown family
Posted By: Five_Felonies

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 04:35 PM

what does this even mean? what did the bloods take over? nj has always had a strong gang influence in its many urban areas, so what does that have to do with the mafia? the decalvacante's were never a historically strong family to begin with, and the ny families have had operations going on here for as long as anyone can remember, so i'm not too sure what your point is.
Posted By: SilentPartnerz

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 05:25 PM

^^^^^^^^^

so new jersey doesn't have 7 families operating in the state?

even though they only have 1 homegrown family

Cook, at any given time, the West Side has 5 crews that dominate the state of NJ. They have been all powerful in NJ going all the way back the Boiardo; Gyp DeCarlo & the Catena bros crews.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 05:34 PM

Do you live in New Jersey pal? We know you don't so I would suggest shutting up about shit you clearly are ignorant about [/quote]

Schmo, if ur talking about me being ignorant about NJ business your are clearly wrong...i lived in NJ for 15yrs and saw the way it was regarding OC. what would a [Name-calling] like you know about it and how could you interject something about NJ when ur a new englander???? go pound salt [Name-calling]!

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 05:39 PM

siciny, it was pretty clear that he was quoting cookcounty. cool

also, much to the dismay of cook, the nj operations of the genovese family alone rival whats left of the entire outfit! wink

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 06:22 PM

Do you live in New Jersey pal? We know you don't so I would suggest shutting up about shit you clearly are ignorant about

Schmo, if ur talking about me being ignorant about NJ business your are clearly wrong...i lived in NJ for 15yrs and saw the way it was regarding OC. what would a Masshole like you know about it and how could you interject something about NJ when ur a new englander???? go pound salt asshole!
[/quote]

Bro you got it all wrong, I was talking to cook not you

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
[quote=cookcounty]the decalvacante's were never a historically strong family to begin with,

Yeah their patriarch was a "Plumber" and also their boss was a F@g!
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 09:10 PM

No offense Joe but why you getting mad at cookcounty saying something about the nj mob? Even if he doesnt live there people do that all the time including you. People on here say location doesn't matter (even though I disagree). Not trying to start a fight, just putting it out there.
Respect

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 09:19 PM

what does this even mean? what did the bloods take over? nj has always had a strong gang influence in its many urban areas, so what does that have to do with the mafia? the decalvacante's were never a historically strong family to begin with, and the ny families have had operations going on here for as long as anyone can remember, so i'm not too sure what your point is.

the local new jersey mafia is subservient to 6 outta state families

the black gang members all became off brand bloods or crips

it seems like the criminals in new jersey can't hold their own
Posted By: Scorsese

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 09:47 PM

i wouldnt say subservient, just never had the numbers. Also most of the members of the other families that operate in new jersey are from new jersey. same with the bloods and crips, these arent guys from LA or new york operating these gangs its mostly people from new jersey so you saying new jersey people can't hold their own doesn't make any sense.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 11:23 PM

Bro you got it all wrong, I was talking to cook not you [/quote]

Schmo-my apologies! Sorry about that!

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Scorsese

i wouldnt say subservient, just never had the numbers. Also most of the members of the other families that operate in new jersey are from new jersey. same with the bloods and crips, these arent guys from LA or new york operating these gangs its mostly people from new jersey so you saying new jersey people can't hold their own doesn't make any sense.

the new jersey mafia has had enough time to expel the outside families

they're probably just not capable

as far as the crips and bloods goes; they ain't even sanctioned by cali

so in essence they're not real crips or bloods

just a bunch of idiots that followed the trend of b's and c's in new york

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/25/13 11:55 PM

I hate to use the word fanboy, but cook county, this east vs west coast shit is getting annoying. Youve ruined to many threads with this chicago outfit worship shit. It doesnt add inches to ur pecker that your local mafia family is strong. There not, their fucking extinct. Your a cheerleader for a bunch of old fucks in depends. I hope u get with a crew that way u can be bled dry and fucked in the ass by some Real Bloods or crips in prison. Then u can get on here and talk about how fucking proud of your local mafia you are.
Posted By: vinnietoothpicks26

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/26/13 12:06 AM

Agreed skinny. Respect.

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/26/13 12:23 AM

I hate to use the word fanboy, but cook county, this east vs west coast shit is getting annoying. Youve ruined to many threads with this chicago outfit worship shit. It doesnt add inches to ur pecker that your local mafia family is strong. There not, their fucking extinct. Your a cheerleader for a bunch of old fucks in depends. I hope u get with a crew that way u can be bled dry and fucked in the ass by some Real Bloods or crips in prison. Then u can get on here and talk about how fucking proud of your local mafia you are.

100% Skinny; u the man!

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/26/13 12:47 AM

Bro you got it all wrong, I was talking to cook not you

Schmo-my apologies! Sorry about that!
[/quote]

Not a problem man. I'm just sick of [Personal Attack Removed] cookcounty ruining threads with his comments. It's one thing to be from out of state but to say something completely stupid and unfounded is quite another. I'm sure you would agree
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/26/13 01:09 AM

[quote=cookcounty]the decalvacante's were never a historically strong family to begin with,

Yeah their patriarch was a "Plumber" and also their boss was a F@g!

Gotti was a Plumber, lol . Just sayin. Respect DN

dp

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/26/13 08:10 PM

we wouldn't be having this convo if new jersey had anything to be proud of

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/26/13 08:48 PM

prime example right here. nobody here has ever claimed that the decalvacante's were or are a strong family, and its nothing to be proud of either way. maybe you should reevaluate your priorities if thats the way you feel. please, stop infiltrating almost every thread with this outfit hero worship, it makes you look silly. leave it to the outfit threads, got knows we have enough of them!

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/26/13 10:13 PM

prime example right here. nobody here has ever claimed that the decalvacante's were or are a strong family, and its nothing to be proud of either way. maybe you should reevaluate your priorities if thats the way you feel. please, stop infiltrating almost every thread with this outfit hero worship, it makes you look silly. leave it to the outfit threads, got knows we have enough of them!

i'm not talking about the decalvacante crime family

i'm talking about the entire state of new jersey being subpar

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/27/13 01:48 AM

i'm talking about the entire state of new jersey being subpar [/quote]

nice^^ [personal attack removed, 3-day suspension --JG]
Posted By: strococs

Re: Turning Down the Button - 04/29/13 02:18 PM

two Cleveland guys who turned down buttons

allegedly Eugen Ciasullo could of been made into he licavoli crew, But turned it down he was and still is very respected guy

Carmen Zagaria turned down his button and then become a stool pigeon when busted.
Posted By: red

Re: Turning Down the Button - 05/01/13 03:04 PM

do you guys realise the danger in not being a button, your life weighs in their hands they decide if you live or if you die, from day today.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET