Home

Getting Made in the Modern Age

Posted By: NickyScarfo

Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 04:35 AM

Hi guys I had some questions regarding getting made these days. Firstly is it still the same that a Captain will propose an underling to the boss? Also with modern day structures with numerous bosses who decides everything who is at the ceremony?

I heard that until the late 70s the books had been closed for 20 years, in the current day do the books get opened whenever a family feels it necessary, ie they don't need permission from other families?
Do a family make guys today to replace people who have been convicted or have died?
I know the Colombo's had a ceremony busted by the feds last year but does anyone else have any stories about modern making ceremonies?
Sorry for so many questions!
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 06:04 AM

The families havent closed the books in a long time since they reopened them in the 70s. They need all the new guys they can get. From what I can gather, a Captain still proposes a guy to the boss. The administration that is out on the street attends the making ceremony. Guys are made to replace guys who are dead, but there are ways that families get around this (i.e. Bonannos picked random names out of a phone book and said those guys died to justify making new guys during the Massino era)

The Colombos ceremony wasnt busted, the feds trailed the family to the ceremony and once the colombos realized the feds were on their tail they cancelled/rescheduled the ceremony.

I know that when Basciano was leading the Bonannos he re-instituted the whole gun and knife into the ceremony, it was taken out in the past cause the family feared that if they got raided they would be pinched for weapons possession.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 06:49 AM

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo

I know the Colombo's had a ceremony busted by the feds last year but does anyone else have any stories about modern making ceremonies?
Sorry for so many questions!

Arillotta talked about when he got made -

Arillotta said he was summoned to a restaurant in The Bronx called Nebraska Steakhouse on August 11, 2003. He and another mobster hoping to be “made” were told to leave behind their beepers, jewelry, and cell phones at the bar and they were driven to an apartment building. They were first met by Steve Alfisi a Genovese family soldier who told Arillotta to wait his turn in a small bathroom. Arillotta said about 15 minutes later the door opened and Stevie said , Ant its your turn and he was told to get undressed taking all of his cloths off and to put on a bathrobe. After he was undressed Arillotta said he was told he could leave on his underwear and was handed the bathrobe. When asked by prosecutor Mark Lanpher what the point of undressing and wearing a bathrobe was for , Arillotta said it was to make sure he was not wearing any type of wire or listening device or recorder.

Arillotta went to from there to explain the scene which is familiar to mafia movie fans. Arillotta said he was led into a room where there was a table with a gun on it and Genovese mobsters Pasquale “Scop” DeLuca and Arthur Nigro sitting at it. He was then told by Nigro was is the former acting boss of the Genovese family that they were part of the secret society named La Cosa Nostra , Arillotta said he then agreed to become a member. Then Arillotta said he was asked by Nigro if he would commit murder , would he commit murder for him and he said yes. Arillotta said his finger was then pricked by Nigro with a pin and his blood was smeared on a piece of blank paper that was then set on fire in Arillota’s cupped hands. Then Arillotta was directed to repeat after Nigro that he would never divulge that the meeting ever took place or any secrets of the family or ever cooperate with law enforcement or he would burn like the piece of paper in his hands.
Posted By: joey_dice

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 01:18 PM

Why would you want to get made in this day and age, if your made it's easier to get a Ricco charge because the connection to the "family" is easier to prove, you are a priced target for the FBI and will garner more attention to your activities. Personally I think being an avtive associate is a better gig these days.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
[quote=NickyScarfo]La Cosa Nostra

Italian-American mobsters have now also adapted the "La" thing? You got to be kidding me.
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: joey_dice
Why would you want to get made in this day and age, if your made it's easier to get a Ricco charge because the connection to the "family" is easier to prove, you are a priced target for the FBI and will garner more attention to your activities. Personally I think being an avtive associate is a better gig these days.

The reason people become bosses is egos. The reason the bosses kill is their ego. The reason people get made is egos. They could just as easily decline, as Frankie Flowers did, never be viewed as a public menace. That's kind of what LCN is about. Having thin skin and killing over it, then making the guys who love themselves just as much.

Ivy, that excerpt is pretty funny. It's also a genius idea, finding an actual use for a bathroom stall and keeping it privatized while never asking anyone to leave the room. I remember a scene from Witness to the Mob where the Genovese were conducting meetings in public restrooms. I don't know if there was any factual basis, but it's pretty interesting. Also made way for the best line of the movie 'you're in the wrong room [Genovese member] I heard you sit down to piss'. Before Nicky Cowboy shoots him. But I digress...

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 04:58 PM

Its interesting to consider what are the benefits today for getting made other than stature? In decades past it would of have had many benefits but today...all I'm seeing are drawbacks.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BarrettM
I remember a scene from Witness to the Mob where the Genovese were conducting meetings in public restrooms. I don't know if there was any factual basis, but it's pretty interesting.

That was based on a real incident, Barrett. A couple of Jersey based Genovese guys were picked up on a wiretap in a restaurant bathroom discussing plans to kill Gotti (on orders from Gigante). The Feds were then dutybound to warn Gotti, and probably saved his life in doing so.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I remember a scene from Witness to the Mob where the Genovese were conducting meetings in public restrooms. I don't know if there was any factual basis, but it's pretty interesting.

That was based on a real incident, Barrett. A couple of Jersey based Genovese guys were picked up on a wiretap in a restaurant bathroom discussing plans to kill Gotti (on orders from Gigante). The Feds were then dutybound to warn Gotti, and probably saved his life in doing so.

i remember that, who were those jersey guys? I forgot... wasnt bobby manna one of them?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 06:44 PM

Yeah, Dapper. The wiretap was at Manna's restaurant in Hoboken.

Bobby Manna's Manna and Fat Man Irwin

Louis Anthony Manna, also known as "Bobby," was incensed, furious, irate, in fact very annoyed. The 59-year-old consigliere of the Genovese family was venting his spleen with some of his closest friends and aides at his operating base, Cassella's Restaurant, Hoboken, New Jersey. Unfortunately for him and them, every word they uttered was being recorded on an FBI wiretap, even though they were conversing in the men's room. The deviousness of the FBI bugging teams knows no decent boundaries.

Manna's manna was being sorely savaged by the actions of two different people who were both connected, but miles apart. And both were about to feel the sting of his anger. One was John Gotti, boss of the Gambino family, who would ultimately weather the storm; the other was Irwin Schiff, whose metaphysical ship, himself, would sink with all hands.

The tape heard Manna and his pals discussing plans to murder John and his brother Gene outside their social club in Queens, The Bergen Hunt and Fish Club, where the only fishing was done with rods that fire.38 calibre bullets, and the only hunting occurred across the concrete landscape of New York. The crime they had committed to warrant this finite action was their apparent intention to move into New Jersey and muscle in on the lucrative gambling and labour racketeering business, then the prerogative of the Genoveses.

The man who supposedly would whack the Gottis was Frank "Dipsy" Daniello, a retired Hoboken, New Jersey, police lieutenant. The tape only ever referred to Schiff and his intended killing as the "the fat man," so the FBI were never able to pin this one down. Gotti was subsequently warned by the authorities that his life was under threat. Two FBI agents, Bruce Mouw and George Gabriel, visited John Gotti at his home in Howards Beach and warned him of the threat. Gotti claimed he had no enemies, but when he learned that the threat was originating from the Genovese, he sent Sammy Gravano, newly appointed consigliere of the family, to talk to Gigante's underboss and let them know that they knew of the plot. The Genoveses of course denied it all, but Gotti made sure he had plenty of men around him from that time on, just in case.

Irwin Schiff was big 350 pounds and six-foot three. A 50-year-old con man and loan shark, he was connected to the Gambinos. He was involved in the talent agency business, boxing promotion field and investment business. He was also robbing the Genovese family by skimming money off the top of a money-laundering operation that was run by the family, through him, out of Atlantic City.

On August 8, 1987, he went to dinner with the wife of a friend. She was a beautiful blonde model called Judy Galip. They were dinning at a very exclusive place, Sergio Bravo Ristorante at 1452 Second Avenue, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Just as Irwin was about to dive into the desert of his $90 dinner, a man walked up behind him in the crowded restaurant and shot him with a .25 calibre revolver at point blank range, in the head, twice. The killer was allegedly identified as Tony Rotolo, a 46-year-old Italian immigrant.

As a result of the wire taps, and supporting evidence from people like Cafaro, Manna and his mobster friends went on trial on May 6, 1989, at Newark Federal Court, on various racketeering charges, including the murder of Schiff. On June 26, Bobby Manna's manna gave up on him completely and he went to prison for 80 years. The judge in his case was Judge Maryanne Trump, sister of Donald Trump.

Here's the full link: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_outlaws/family_epics/genovese1/20.html

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/09/11 07:31 PM

^^^ thanks

the freaking genovese had bobby manna and tino fiumara running around in NJ

thats a fearsome one two punch thats for sure
Posted By: Ivan

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/10/11 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Italian-American mobsters have now also adapted the "La" thing? You got to be kidding me.

Sounds retarded, doesn't it? It's like saying "the our thing".

FBI still uses it. I wonder if they will ever get around to fixing that?
Posted By: JohnSacrimoni

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/10/11 10:04 AM

Aren't there financial advantages to being made as in kicking up a lower percentage upstairs (in the region of 10% vs 50%) and access to more lucrative family rackets?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/10/11 10:13 AM

Yeah Iv'e wondered about this I guess the benefits are that you get access to more rackets, though if your not made maybe there is less pressure to kick up specific amounts, I mean if your a non-Italian associate are you put under strict guidelines? Because then they could always take their business elsewhere.
Posted By: WTFMaNg

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/10/11 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnSacrimoni
Aren't there financial advantages to being made as in kicking up a lower percentage upstairs (in the region of 10% vs 50%) and access to more lucrative family rackets?

Your stupid nobody kicks up half their loot.
Posted By: yigido

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/10/11 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: WTFMaNg

guess you are a made men how else would you know.

i was wondering if the families would induct people just to increase the size of the family? or is it just really to replace people.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 01:32 AM

There's no exact percentage set in stone. Back in 2008 Gambino indictment, it was said the administration was receiving 10% of the family's income. That was after each captain had taken their share and kicked the rest up the ladder. Going back further, Accetturo balked when Amuso and Casso demanded 50% from the Lucchese family's crew in Jersey. Chin was said to take very little money off his captains because he was already a millionaire and didn't need it. From what I understand, you have more freedom as an associate. But you have more clout and often more earning potential if you're made.

The rule in New York is they only replace guys that have died. And maybe 2 at Christmas if they still do that. New guys have to be OK'd by the other families. This is to keep a relative balance and to make sure one family doesn't induct a bunch of new members and outpace the others. But that appears to be what the Bonannos did when they went from about 100 members up to as many as 150 by picking names out of the phone book, saying they had been members that had died, and using them as reasons to make new guys.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 04:38 AM

Aren't all the NY families operating below what there max numbers potentially could be? If we say the Gambino's and Genovese have 200 members currently isn't there capacity about 250-60? I think that's roughly the membership the Gambino's had under Castellano.
Or have the maximum numbers come down today?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 05:09 AM

The Genovese and Gambino families each have a little over 200 total members. The Lucchese, Colombo, and Bonanno families each have a little over 100 total members.

"Total" means everybody - active, inactive, in prison, under indictment, etc.
Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 05:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Ivan

Totally. And nothing for nothing, but from what it sounds heaps of American LCN guys embrace the term. I thought it was the Sicilians that made a point of dropping the "La".

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By: WTFMaNg

He said "in the region of". And Sacrimoni has contributed more to the boards then you have at this stage. BTW, it's "you're", not "your". So WTF mang?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 07:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica

Totally. And nothing for nothing, but from what it sounds heaps of American LCN guys embrace the term. I thought it was the Sicilians that made a point of dropping the "La".

It is grammatically incorrect in Italian (like I said, in Italian it sounds like "the our thing"). I'm guessing the American guys who use it don't know the Italian language all that well. The Sicilians would have never said "la" to begin with.

I think the FBI may have actually been the first to use the "la", but I'm not sure why. Nonetheless, the mistake seems to have become permanent.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 07:28 AM

This is my understanding - Under Hoover, the FBI had denied the existence of "the Mafia" for years. But that became harder to do after the Appalachin bust. I remember reading a comment by some official back around that time that said something like, "There's no Mafia but there is a La Cosa Nostra and we've been keeping tabs on it for some time." Apparently a way to save face. Even though it was referred to as "Cosa Nostra" in the FBI's own records, and later identified as such by Valachi, they came up with "La Cosa Nostra" so they could use the acronym "LCN" is their reports, despite it being grammatically incorrect.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 07:56 AM

Totally. And we know how the FBI like acronyms. Or most governmental departments, for that matter.

But yeah, it is gramatically incorrect. I misworded my post, its not so much that the Sicilians "drop" the la, and more that the Americans have picked it up. I agree that the majority of Gotti era guys would not have had the most commanding grasp of the Italian language in any case.
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 08:43 AM

The Genovese and Gambino families each have a little over 200 total members. The Lucchese, Colombo, and Bonanno families each have a little over 100 total members.

"Total" means everybody - active, inactive, in prison, under indictment, etc.

Oh.
Someone who's serving a life sentence should not be on that list to begin with. Right?
I always thought that the membership # covered just those active or in the can but not for too long.

Is there a way to know the active membership for all 9 families?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: LuanKuci

Oh.
Someone who's serving a life sentence should not be on that list to begin with. Right?
I always thought that the membership # covered just those active or in the can but not for too long.

They don't cease to be a member simply because they're in prison. You'd only remove somebody from the list if they die or flip.

Quote:
Is there a way to know the active membership for all 9 families?

Maybe a ball park estimate but it's easier to go with total figures since the number of active guys for each family is always changing.
Posted By: ronnie_little

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 11:08 PM

Michael Franzese made the statement that when he was made you had to be Scicllian and he even said that Capone was not a full member since he was not Sicillian. Gotti and Genovese were not. I even found it on youtube and watched it again. He said your mother and father had to be. Oh well who knows......
Posted By: ronnie_little

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/11/11 11:51 PM

My bad the narrorator said it

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/12/11 02:11 AM

It seems as long as you had the name and were a criminal...you had a chance of getting in. For every guy that says it only for Sicilians there's a bunch of Napoltani and Calabrese or otherwise Italian guys inducted.
Posted By: Nicholas

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/12/11 10:02 AM

Look at Steven Crea or the Corozzo, both have ancestors who hail from the far north of Italy, not just the south or even Campania, but Piedmont and Lombardy. There's definitely a lot of made guys who families are from the Rome, Lazio region, Basilicata, or Apulia. Though it definitely seems there's families with a lot of made guys with ancestry outside of Sicily

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/12/11 10:17 AM

Actually Nicholas, Im of the exact same belief. No body gives a fuck where abouts the boot your people came from, as long as you were a crook as well.

Nothing for nothing, but though I also had thought Crea's family hailed from Piedmont, certain guys swear black and blue he was Calabrese. Another one though is Daniel Leo, who's family I thought came from a commune in La Marcha. There's a number of other guys that came from Tuscany, Bari, Puglia, etc, etc.

I can almost guarantee some body will disagree and claim that it wasonly Sicilian, Calabrian and Napolitan guys that had some sort of inborn "mafia gene" that precluded other Italians from being criminals.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/12/11 06:39 PM

I hear ya man, who the hells cares what Italian province this guys grandparents were born in; the question is, is this guy a legitimate tough guy and does he have the potential to flip?
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/12/11 07:50 PM

Maybe this isnt directly related to this topic.. What i always wondered is that where the loyalty is with made guys, i mean for an example. Take a look at the Colombo wars, you have the Orena and Persico loyalists. They killed eachother, and avenged each other for what? Sure they are loyal to Orena and Persico, but a person does not blindly follow a person only for money or greed. What other thing forces them to make these kind of choices? They could easily say: "oh well, a top soldier of our side has been shot. Fuck him, i wont risk my neck for this". But no, you hear and see the opposite. They go and avenge the death of a close friend, a partner, a boss.
Posted By: yigido

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/12/11 08:14 PM

i think its based on what the reward will be. think about it if one faction wins they take over the other and all of their rackets and the loser faction will have its capo's removed and replaced by the winning faction(probably).
Posted By: Frank

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/21/11 02:08 PM

don't think so.most of them are under indictment inactive and ip.
Posted By: carmela

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/21/11 02:41 PM

It is grammatically incorrect in Italian (like I said, in Italian it sounds like "the our thing"). I'm guessing the American guys who use it don't know the Italian language all that well. The Sicilians would have never said "la" to begin with.

I think the FBI may have actually been the first to use the "la", but I'm not sure why. Nonetheless, the mistake seems to have become permanent.

Not aimed at you, Ivan..but this really irks me when I hear this. Guys in Italy do not go around saying "Cosa Nostra" let alone, "La Cosa Nostra". So already that argument is dead.
In Italy, it is simply mafia, they don't refer to each as, "he's n'drangheta", "he's cosa nostra", "he's cammorista", etc.
They would say "la mafia" if anything, but really, they don't go around saying these things. They're very tight lipped people in Italy.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/21/11 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Mukremin
They could easily say: "oh well, a top soldier of our side has been shot. Fuck him, i wont risk my neck for this".

uhwhat

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/21/11 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Mukremin
Maybe this isnt directly related to this topic.. What i always wondered is that where the loyalty is with made guys, i mean for an example. Take a look at the Colombo wars, you have the Orena and Persico loyalists. They killed eachother, and avenged each other for what?

I think made guys are mostly loyal to the "Family", not an individual in particular, unless they like the guy. But because of the structural hierarchy families are able to maintain order.

Quote:
What other thing forces them to make these kind of choices? They could easily say: "oh well, a top soldier of our side has been shot. Fuck him, i wont risk my neck for this". But no, you hear and see the opposite. They go and avenge the death of a close friend, a partner, a boss.

That has mostly to do with the "honor" those guys have. Getting 'revenge' plays an important part in a mobster's life.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/21/11 04:02 PM

Even though it was referred to as "Cosa Nostra" in the FBI's own records, and later identified as such by Valachi, they came up with "La Cosa Nostra" so they could use the acronym "LCN" is their reports, despite it being grammatically incorrect.

That's just really stupid. I guess the FBI didn't have Italians in their ranks when they made this up. Apparantly they really didn't give a shit.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/21/11 04:05 PM

I agree that the majority of Gotti era guys would not have had the most commanding grasp of the Italian language in any case.

This is also perfectly depicted in an episode of The Sopranos when Tony and Paulie are visiting Italy. "Commendatori". smile

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/21/11 04:36 PM

This is also perfectly depicted in an episode of The Sopranos when Tony and Paulie are visiting Italy. "Commendatori". smile

GREAT example, Sonny. The most telling scene in that episode, in my opinion, was when Paulie asked for "macaroni and gravy" during dinner with the Italian mob crew. It's clear to everyone at the table, except to himself, that Paulie is an American, through and through, whether he realizes this or not. It was also a riot when he was trying to communicate with the hooker in his bed lol.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/21/11 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: carmela
In Italy, it is simply mafia, they don't refer to each as, "he's n'drangheta", "he's cosa nostra", "he's cammorista", etc.

Exactly.

Breaking it down like that is a phenomenon pretty much exclusive to American internet mob geeks lol.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/21/11 10:20 PM

Quote:
I think made guys are mostly loyal to the "Family", not an individual in particular, unless they like the guy. But because of the structural hierarchy families are able to maintain order.

Thats the point, why would they divide the family in 2 parts, Orena and Persico factions. So that makes them loyal to a person.
Posted By: phatmatress

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/22/11 03:39 AM

GREAT example, Sonny. The most telling scene in that episode, in my opinion, was when Paulie asked for "macaroni and gravy" during dinner with the Italian mob crew. It's clear to everyone at the table, except to himself, that Paulie is an American, through and through, whether he realizes this or not. It was also a riot when he was trying to communicate with the hooker in his bed lol.

if you wanna classify calling her a [BadWord] communicating lol

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/22/11 06:41 AM

Breaking it down like that is a phenomenon pretty much exclusive to American internet mob geeks lol.

And Italian and American law enforcement.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/22/11 01:18 PM

And Italian and American law enforcement.

That is true. Even in Italian newspapers, they do break it down as such.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/22/11 09:06 PM

Researchers, such as Letizia Paoli as well.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/24/11 11:29 AM

Not aimed at you, Ivan..but this really irks me when I hear this. Guys in Italy do not go around saying "Cosa Nostra" let alone, "La Cosa Nostra". So already that argument is dead.
They would say "la mafia" if anything, but really, they don't go around saying these things. They're very tight lipped people in Italy.

Didn't know that. I was always under the impression that mob guys used it as a euphemism.

I was just trying to point out that the FBI's little acronym sounds dumb if you know anything about Romance languages.

Anyway, if a native speaker of Italian wanted to say "our thing" (no matter the context), he wouldn't say "la cosa nostra", right?
Posted By: m2w

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/24/11 09:29 PM

again, crea has calabrian origins and corozzo is from campania
no way there is even a single made man from north or central italy in the world mafia history
they all come from south italy (sicily, calabria, campania, apulia, basilicata)

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/24/11 09:58 PM

Where'd you learn that Crea and Corozzo were southerners?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: m2w
no way there is even a single made man from north or central italy in the world mafia history

I think that's a bit of a stretch. I mean, in the entire history of the American mob?

For awhile there, they were making guys who were only half Italian. So you're telling me they'd rather make a guy who is half Southern Italian/half something else, as opposed to a full blooded guy whose great grandparents came from north of Rome?

At this point the bloodlines are so watered down anyway, I'm sure you could sneak a guy in, providing he's vouched for by the right guy. Look at the Donnie Brasco thing. That was over thirty years ago and they were going to make him. Yes, as it turns out, Pistone is Southern Italian. But he got away with telling them that he was an orphan, so there was really no way for them to verify it.

Now mind you, I'm speaking of the American mob. I''d be willing to bet that, over the years, at least one guy who's family came from north of Rome slipped through the cracks.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 07:42 PM

yes, sure they prefer making a guy half southern italian/half something else that a full bloodely guy who descent from north italy
it's a question of mentality, northern italians had a total different history than southerner
do you wonder because they never made even tony senter who was very though? it's easy, because his family came from north italy
joe pistone could be made because orphan, that's different
Posted By: ciccogol

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 09:36 PM

yes, sure they prefer making a guy half southern italian/half something else that a full bloodely guy who descent from north italy
it's a question of mentality, northern italians had a total different history than southerner
do you wonder because they never made even tony senter who was very though? it's easy, because his family came from north italy
joe pistone could be made because orphan, that's different

Maybe it's true...in Italy, the northerners sometimes look down on those from the south and tell them they are shameful...and the southerners always reply that 'you are not real Italians...you are Austro-Hungarians'...

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 09:53 PM

Funny fact: Gotti is a northern Italian lastname. There are very few pockets in the Sounth but its originally a Brescia\Bergamo lastname.
Posted By: LeroyJones

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 09:54 PM

Well as Dennis Hopper was kind enough to point out in the movie True Romance to Christopher Walkens character, most italians were blonde with blue eyes. Whether he was right i really have no idea but who am i to argue with Dennis Hopper.

"So you see, way back then, uh, Sicilians were like, uh, wops from Northern Italy. Ah, they all had blonde hair and blue eyes, but, uh, well, then the Moors moved in there, and uh, well, they changed the whole country. They did so much fuckin' with Sicilian women, huh? That they changed the whole bloodline forever. That's why blonde hair and blue eyes became black hair and dark skin. You know, it's absolutely amazing to me to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, that, uh, that Sicilians still carry that ni**er gene. Now this..."

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 10:02 PM

sicilians never were blond, greeks arrived long before arabs (not blacks) they were dark when arabs arrived the only few sicilian blond have normans origins

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 10:03 PM

It's true. There are many many Sicilians that are light hair with blue or green eyes.

Great quote, there, Leroy..or is that Mr. Jones? grin

edit: m2w, are you saying Sicilians (in Sicily) are not blonde with blue eyes? Seriously?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: LeroyJones
Well as Christopher Walken was kind enough to point out in the movie True Romance, most italians were blonde with blue eyes. Whether he was right i really don't know but hey Walken is the man so if he says it then it's good enough for me. clap

lol love that scene.

But no, the difference btw North and South has been so overhyped. Both areas have mixed blood.
Cities like Genoa or Venice where kinda like ancient NYC, they were a real melting pot of folks coming from all over the place. This is clear after studying Italian dialects...most have french\spanish roots.

Some words sound the same and have similar meaning:

Gna' in Eastern Sicily means "girl" and there is a very similar way to say it in Brescia: gnara. Also gnaro (guy), gnari (guys) and gnare (girls).
Fidec' means liver... both in Neapolitan and Bergamo\Brescian.
Portùgal (or Portuall') means orange...both in Naples and in Brescia\Bergamo.
Some people say that comes from the Greek word "portukalia", others say that the Spanish used to call oranges like that because thay used to import them from Portugal.

Anyway it is...it's remarkable.

You can find a blonde Sicilian as easly as you can find an olive-skin dark Northern.

Funny how people keep this stereotype alive.

All bets are off only in Alto Adige, where like 97% of the population is Austrian.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 10:17 PM

Actually it was Dennis Hoppers character that said it. I had to edit the post cause i remembered i had the two characters mixed up.

Loved Gary Oldman in that movie too.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 10:18 PM

And regarding Sicilians being part black, that's false. Arabic, definitely. Greek, definitely. There is nowhere near enough DNA in Sicilians to consider them having a black gene.

And if anyone is that curious, I'd refrain from asking a Sicilian if he's black.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 10:23 PM

And if anyone is that curious, I'd refrain from asking a Sicilian if he's black.

Well those sicilians are such nice kind hearted people i doubt they would mind. panic panic panic

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 10:38 PM

blond people in sicily are very little the vast majority are dark
you can find more blond and even red in campania
in north italy the average of blond people is higher by far than south

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 10:51 PM

Well, you're absolutely wrong about this. No, blonde/blue or green eyes are not the majority, but they are nowhere near as rare as you're indicating.

I do agree with you on the other issue though about made guys in north Italy, etc.

Posted By: Lilo

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 11:08 PM

Now mind you, I'm speaking of the American mob. I''d be willing to bet that, over the years, at least one guy who's family came from north of Rome slipped through the cracks.

And that's a bet you would win PB. Aniello Dellacroce's roots go back to Northern Italy, as do Sam Battaglia's, and Frank Mirra's. I'm sure there must be others.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/25/11 11:27 PM

Ok...now this is just getting absurd.
Let's go back talking about OC.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 04:31 AM

aniello dellacroce was southern italian aniello is a name used in southern italy only

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 04:56 AM

You've made those kind of blanket statements before without taking variables into account. I think Lilo's right, or at least there's a high chance.

Once again, just because a certain name has a certain origin does not mean it cannot be used by anyone living outside the area. FWIW, Id take Lilo's opine into more account.

Like Lilo mentioned, Im sure there's more.

m2w, do you have actual proof that Crea, Leo etc etc are southerners through and through, or do you make those claims because you simply believe "no northerner was ever made into the mafia"?

As I said earlier, I dont believe its some mafia gene inherent only in southern Italians that precludes northern Italian-American criminals from being able to be gangsters.

To clarify, Im not claiming that there's inducted northerners in Italy itself. But the American dynamic is very different, the melting pot theory is well documented.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 08:48 AM

aniello dellacroce was southern italian aniello is a name used in southern italy only

I am no expert nor do I pretend to be on Italian name etymology for turn of century immigrant families. smile But the publicly available information I've read indicates that Dellacroce's immigrant family was from the Veneto region. If you have evidence otherwise I would certainly change my opinion.
Posted By: Atothej

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 10:19 AM

Most recent Chicago make would be Anthony "Tony" Palermo.

Diff fams have diff rules- get sponsored, do time in the can, be a good earner. All have gotten rid of the "making bones" req.

Tony has conections with the Palermo doing life, also was the $ behind a popular Melrose Park club under age club that everyone did X at. After his car delership got busted for laundering mob $. He did his time like a man, & now works out in LA with Gill Valerio and Fratto
Posted By: botz

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 05:07 PM

The only italian I know really of northern stock that was made was joseph paruta, as long as he was with the gambino family they never made him but when he was about to die he asked if he could get made (his dying wish) not to long after he got made he died.
Posted By: Lenin_and_McCarthy

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 06:03 PM

I just remembered - wasn't it Gotti who was caught on a bug complaining about people mentioning the name "La Cosa Nostra" and that the FBI would jump on just "La"?

Or was that someone else and I'm just thinking of him for "This is gonna be a Cosa Nostra"?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Lenin_and_McCarthy
I just remembered - wasn't it Gotti who was caught on a bug complaining about people mentioning the name "La Cosa Nostra" and that the FBI would jump on just "La"?

Yeah, that was Gotti. Those were the apartment tapes. If I remember correctly, he was in a tirade about guys getting caught on tape using the words cosa nostra. He said something to the effect that "if they even get caught saying 'la' they're going."

Of course the irony is that Gotti put more words on tape than the Beatles.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 06:40 PM

Anyone that says that Southern Italians\Italian-Americans have a "mob-gene" is sadly delusional.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 06:47 PM

Anyone that says that Southern Italians\Italian-Americans have a "mob-gene" is sadly delusional.

clap clap

It's as ugly a stereotype as saying that all Blacks are lazy, or that all Jews are cheap, or that all Irishman are drunks. It's especially sad when Italian Americans themselves help propagate it.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 08:08 PM

Of course. The notion is ludicrous. Yet some people seem to buy into it.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/26/11 08:43 PM

You've made those kind of blanket statements before without taking variables into account. I think Lilo's right, or at least there's a high chance.

Once again, just because a certain name has a certain origin does not mean it cannot be used by anyone living outside the area. FWIW, Id take Lilo's opine into more account.

Like Lilo mentioned, Im sure there's more.

m2w, do you have actual proof that Crea, Leo etc etc are southerners through and through, or do you make those claims because you simply believe "no northerner was ever made into the mafia"?

As I said earlier, I dont believe its some mafia gene inherent only in southern Italians that precludes northern Italian-American criminals from being able to be gangsters.

To clarify, Im not claiming that there's inducted northerners in Italy itself. But the American dynamic is very different, the melting pot theory is well documented.

Crea is of Venetian\Bolognese descent...'cos I say SO!

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/27/11 02:33 AM

crea is a calabrian surname that's because i think he's calabrian
aniello is a southern name it's not used at all in north italy, so dellaroce is obviously southerner
i never claim there is a 'mafia-gene', the question is that the mafia is a south italy phenomen and you have to be born inside this mentality, completely different from north italian one
even tony senter was not made because north italian, imagine the others

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/27/11 02:40 AM

i never claim there is a 'mafia-gene', the question is that the mafia is a south italy phenomen and you have to be born inside this mentality, completely different from north italian one

I agree with you. It's not a mafia gene. But it is the mentality of the southern people that they are born with.

I dont know why people are arguing with you on this with the northern people not being made, I thought it was common knowledge.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/27/11 03:00 AM

I agree with you. It's not a mafia gene. But it is the mentality of the southern people that they are born with.

I dont know why people are arguing with you on this with the northern people not being made, I thought it was common knowledge.

Pretty funny that the people of northern Italy supposingly look down on the southerners as second class citizens and the people of southern Italy look down on the northeners as not being up to snuff for their criminal world. lol

Do i have that correct Miss Carmela? wink

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/27/11 03:20 AM

Pretty funny that the people of northern Italy supposingly look down on the southerners as second class citizens and the people of southern Italy look down on the northeners as not being up to snuff for their criminal world. lol

Do i have that correct Miss Carmela? wink

Why, Mr. Jones, I think you've got it. Very very CUTE. grin The northerners are polentoni (polenta eaters) and the southerners are terroni (terrorists). Those are their words, not mine.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/27/11 04:47 AM

Obviously Italy's a different place. But criminally inclined Italian-Americans, that far removed from their heritage, the fact that the last name ends in a vowel and you are a criminal is pretty much enough to get you made in the American LCN.

FYI, Im of the opinion that Tony Senter was never made for the same reason that Joey Testa was not; they were in prison for life before they really got anywhere above being DeMeo's muscle. Also, they were both creepy fucks. Not that the last one precludes induction, but I think if they'd had another few years on the streets, at least Testa would've been made. Maybe even Senter.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/27/11 09:06 AM

In fact, they may have even gone as far conducting an extensive genealogical study on Senter, determing his lineage and bloodlines to ensure they were up to scratch and he was worthy of LCN;

random wiseguy: "Hey Anthony, you Italian?"
Senter: "Yup"
random wiseguy: "...you sure?"
Senter: "Uh.Yup"
random wiseguy: "Hey fella's, its alright he's Italian! Okay, you're in".
Senter: Sweet.
random wiseguy: "...stop being such a creepy fuck"

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/27/11 02:03 PM

they know where your family exactly comes from they observe you for years not just a little while
they know exactly the region where you come from

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/27/11 11:26 PM

rolleyes

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/27/11 11:39 PM

rolleyes

^this is priceless^
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 03:50 AM

In all seriousness this is why I haven't been posting lately.

What's happened to this forum. lol

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 05:23 AM

FYI, Im of the opinion that Tony Senter was never made for the same reason that Joey Testa was not; they were in prison for life before they really got anywhere above being DeMeo's muscle. Also, they were both creepy fucks. Not that the last one precludes induction, but I think if they'd had another few years on the streets, at least Testa would've been made. Maybe even Senter.

I agree also.

Senter would been made in my eyes though; albeit with a lot of wiseguys askin, "Yo, Senter? What part of the boot is that fuckin' name from?"
Posted By: tt120

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 05:43 AM

are you guys overlooking the fact that most of the italian immigrants from the turn of the century came from the south, opposed to the north? Italian-American made guys especially in this day and age have nothing to do with northern-italian versus southern italian roots. the reason you see so many people with sicilian and neopolitan lineage is simple - thats where the majority of immigrants came from. i personally don't know anybody that can trace their family back to northern italy.
Posted By: tt120

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Lenin_and_McCarthy

Yeah, that was Gotti. Those were the apartment tapes. If I remember correctly, he was in a tirade about guys getting caught on tape using the words cosa nostra. He said something to the effect that "if they even get caught saying 'la' they're going."

Of course the irony is that Gotti put more words on tape than the Beatles.

more ironic too; not only did gotti put more words on tape than the beatles, but wasn't he himself constantly saying "Cosa Nostra" on tape? "This is a Cosa Nostra", "We are a Cosa Nostra", etc...

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 12:19 PM

They banned Vinny. Afterwards the general attrition set in. wink

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 01:25 PM

i feel the same way. to many non sense threads. i might read whats going on here every once in a while. but this forum has def become second rate with idiot threads. my least fav are the tallest. best. fattest. stinkest. meanest. gangster threads

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 01:37 PM

For fuck sake, what is this hard-on you have for this guy? You dropped his name left and right on Real Deal and you're still yapping about him. You know why he (Giacalone) stopped posting on RD? Cause I ran up one side of him and down the other. He ain't that funny, and he's not banned over there, so why don't you coax him out of hiding, have yourself a love fest and be done with it already.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 01:59 PM

For fuck sake, what is this hard-on you have for this guy? You dropped his name left and right on Real Deal and you're still yapping about him. You know why he (Giacalone) stopped posting on RD? Cause I ran up one side of him and down the other. He ain't that funny, and he's not banned over there, so why don't you coax him out of hiding, have yourself a love fest and be done with it already.

I don't have a hard-on at all for this guy, it's rather you having wet pants by getting hysterical everytime I mention his name. And who says I'm that serious anyway? wink

Don't feed the trolls honey.

And btw, it's true, wether or not that has something to with it I don't know and don't really care, but soon after he was banned here a lot of other noobs came around starting all kinds of useless topics and or discussions.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 02:16 PM

You got it snookums.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/28/11 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: phatmatress

i feel the same way. to many non sense threads. i might read whats going on here every once in a while. but this forum has def become second rate with idiot threads. my least fav are the tallest. best. fattest. stinkest. meanest. gangster threads

Gotta agree.

Some of the threads lately are just, well, stupid. I deliberately started that shoe size thread yesterday as an aberration to make light of it, but it's getting out of hand.

Just do what I do. If the title of a thread implies that it's going to be retarded, just don't click on it. Because if you feed it, it will only grow.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/29/11 06:21 PM

You got it snookums.

I guess you really miss the Sit Down don't you? wink If you want I can ask Joey to come to this forum.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/29/11 07:29 PM

I thought you said dont feed the trolls, no? Yet here you are. Bring JoeyCigars over. The fuck I care. I have unfinished business with him. You better give that mental, half wit, froot loop a google map to find the place though.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/29/11 09:21 PM

You better give that mental, half wit, froot loop a google map to find the place though.

Now thats funny.

BarratM and Phat, there's always gonna be some bullshit threads, but there's some great ones which IMO outweigh them. PB gives great advice.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/29/11 09:52 PM

I thought you said dont feed the trolls, no? Yet here you are. Bring JoeyCigars over. The fuck I care. I have unfinished business with him. You better give that mental, half wit, froot loop a google map to find the place though.

Who is this mental, half wit, froot loop named JoeyCigars you talk of Miss Carmela? Sounds like there is no lost love between you and this mental, half wit, scoundrel! grin

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/29/11 10:07 PM

Who is this mental, half wit, froot loop named JoeyCigars you talk of Miss Carmela? Sounds like there is no lost love between you and this mental, half wit, scoundrel! grin

Not even he knows who he is, so how could I possibly say for sure. Depends on which day of the week it is, the weather, did he get his welfare check on time... whole bunch of things factor into what persona he'll play out that day. He usually always responds to Sybil, but who knows.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 01:21 AM

The great philosopher has spoken. grin

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 06:59 AM

Hey Tag,

Have you thought about going to David, hat in hand, and asking back in? Right now it's just Atardi and JoeyCigars going at it as usual.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 09:35 AM

Actually they seem to have chilled out a little bit. It's like they sat down and had a big deep and meaningful or something constructive. The Sit's gone cold.

Not that I know, I stay the fuck out of the Sit. Those assholes are mean fuckers.

FWIW, the generel consensus seems to be that Sergio Maranghi from SF was born in Florence. There's one guy born in the North that got into LCN.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 12:42 PM

Hey Tag,

Have you thought about going to David, hat in hand, and asking back in? Right now it's just Atardi and JoeyCigars going at it as usual.

It even seems like they have made some sort of a peace agreement.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 12:46 PM

Not that I know, I stay the fuck out of the Sit. Those assholes are mean fuckers.

That's a big understatement!

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 02:01 PM

Hey Tag,

I appreciate your thoughts, Wiseguy/Ivy, but to answer your question. No, never gonna happen. I knew fully well the consequences of what i was doing. It wasn't a mistake in my mind, I don't regret it, and I paid with my membership. I don't ask for second chances or favors, and I don't make insincere apologies. What I do, is accept consequences for my actions and take my medicine like a big girl.
As soon as you ask anybody for anything, you give them the upper hand and lower yourself. If anyone knows me, then they know that'll never happen. wink

Of course the Sit is dead. How much fun could it possibly be anymore. wink

In keeping with the theme of the thread, I think I should be made in modern age. I am more stand up and have more balls than most men I know.

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 02:19 PM

maranghi was a drug dealer linked to mafia he was never made

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 04:58 PM

joeycigars is a retard. you really got banned over that tag?

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: phatmatress
joeycigars is a retard. you really got banned over that tag?

Hell no! grin He's small potatoes. Anything goes in the Sit, you dont get banned over beefing with another member. He was nothing. I've plowed through much worse than him over the years. grin
It was something I did behind the scenes by lending my account for a week to a banned member so he could read around a bit, which was inexcusable to the admin. I got no warning, or second chance after all my time there, and I accept it. Everyone else needs to get over it as well.

I'm done talking on this in public now. I'm sure Dave is more than willing to explain his side of it if anyone wants to PM him over there. As everyone knows, there are 3 sides to every story: mine, yours, and the truth. wink

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 06:17 PM

Hard to believe anyone can be mad at such a sweet woman such as yourself Miss Carmela. grin

This Cigar guy must be a real loser. wink

Re: Getting Made in the Modern Age - 10/30/11 09:27 PM

maranghi was a drug dealer linked to mafia he was never made

Actually most sources list him as a soldier. Albeit one who flipped around 91.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET