Home

When was Paul Castellano made?

Posted By: NickyScarfo

When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/03/11 08:44 AM

Anyone know what year or time period and by whom? I guess Carlo would of put him forward and would it of been under Anastasia?
Posted By: ronnie_little

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/03/11 01:18 PM

I will find out it tells this in the TV show Mobsters (Paul Castellano). He was 19 when he was arrested and he kept his mouth shut. Joined Carlo's crew and the rest is history. I will find out for you.

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/03/11 01:23 PM

Thanks man smile
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/03/11 11:44 PM

Good Question. As someone said he was arrested at 19 for a robbery. I don't know exactly when he was made. But I read some statements that have said that he was made sometime in the 1940's when Mangano was boss

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/03/11 11:49 PM

In the 1940's Big Paul became a member of the Mangano family. He bacame a capo in 1957. In 1966 he became acting boss while Carlo ducked law enforcement pressure in Florida. This is from Wiki and may not be accurate. I will do some more research for you.

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/04/11 04:04 AM

Thanks guys, it is hard to pin down an exact time period I know.
Posted By: GaryH

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/04/11 11:03 AM

Big Paul was one of the youngest guys (in his 40's at the time) to be present at Alapachin in 1957
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/04/11 12:09 PM

Probably a more difficult question to answer considering things were much more secretive back then and there isn't exactly anybody left to tell us.
Posted By: ht2

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/04/11 11:47 PM

I thought there was a moratorium on new members in the 1940's? Supposedly Luciano put a freeze on new members in the mid 1930's. There were new members being made in the early 1950's. Who knows, maybe an exception was made for Castellano?
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/04/11 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ht2
I thought there was a moratorium on new members in the 1940's? Supposedly Luciano put a freeze on new members in the mid 1930's. There were new members being made in the early 1950's. Who knows, maybe an exception was made for Castellano?

Possibly. Nino gaggi was supposedly made in the early 60's and the books were suppose to be closed since 1957
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/05/11 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Originally Posted By: ht2

Possibly. Nino gaggi was supposedly made in the early 60's and the books were suppose to be closed since 1957

Nino Gaggi was also very close to Castellano which is why there could have been made an exception.

But according to John H. Davis, the closing of the books for nearly twente years was a myth.

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/06/11 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Nino Gaggi was also very close to Castellano which is why there could have been made an exception.

But according to John H. Davis, the closing of the books for nearly twente years was a myth.

I was mistaken about the books being closed in the 1940's. I found this quote from former Cleveland boss
Angelo Lonardo:

"During the 30's, the commission put a "freeze" on the making of new members. The commission put the freeze on since families, especially in New York, were not making the "right" kind of people. Some individuals were even buying their way into the LCN. I have heard that one businessman paid $50,000 to join the LCN. Because of the decree, I was not made into the Cleveland family until the l940's."

http://www.americanmafia.com/lonardo_testimony.html

In other testimony he narrows it down to the late 1940's. The reports that Castellano was made in the 1940's are probably correct.

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/09/11 01:52 AM

I think it was Anastasia that was taking money to be made. Maybe his admin or capos but his family did it.

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/09/11 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: ronnie_little
I think it was Anastasia that was taking money to be made. Maybe his admin or capos but his family did it.

That's right, it seems underboss Frank Scalise may have been scapegoated to make the controversy go away. His killing inspired the Vito Corleone shooting scene.
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/09/11 06:07 AM

Back the it's been said numerous times the way to eliminate a boss back then was to eliminate all that are loyal to him. Was Frank Scalise in the boat of those who were too loyal to Anastasia? Also in my eyes, Anastasia would never have been eliminated had it not been for Vito Genovese's manipulation. So it's interesting to think about collateral, how it wasn't just Anastasia and Moretti who died because of his move against Costello.

Anyway. Scapegoating is an interesting theory. Do we have any conclusive answers on motive? Or his connections to selling buttons?
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: When was Paul Castellano made? - 08/09/11 07:01 AM

Paul Castellano looks like Count Dracula, they could have put that mug of his on the cereal box and he could've been rich working for General Mills. Well we know whenever he got made at least he wasn't sleeping with some ugly maid with his fake penis
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET