Home

Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo?

Posted By: GerryLang

Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo? - 07/21/11 06:40 PM

I never knew this, Ida was supposedly pissed off over Bellomo taking a plea deal. In hindsight it seems Ida made the mistake of not taking a plea, he got hit with a life sentence, at a relatively young age for a mobster, in his 50's. I wonder if Bellomo ever recovered from this spat with Ida, a highly influential and respected member of the Genovese, an old timer could he have been shelved over it, and that is why we haven't heard much about him since he was released?

http://articles.nydailynews.com/1997-08-18/news/18056332_1_bellomo-generoso-racketeering
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo? - 07/21/11 07:02 PM

That article is 14 years old, Gerry. I'm sure that if something was going to happen, it would have happened by now.

I don't believe it anyway. Barney was like a son to Sammy Santora. He practically grew up within the 116th Street crew. Now I'm not saying that Ida wasn't upset about. He may have been. But to try to order a guy as high up as Barney murdered, he would have set off a civil war within the family. And to Ida's credit, he had to know that. The guy knows cosa nostra. That's why I don't believe it.

Personally, I think it was just a rumor started by the Feds to get Barney to flip, which will NEVER happen. The guy is as old school as he is brilliant. And there's no way in Hell he's been put "on the shelf." He's probably acting boss, at the very least. But with the Genovese family, you never really know who's who and what's what. And that's just the way they want it wink.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo? - 07/21/11 09:00 PM

I think it would be a major mistake to kill someone like Bellomo. I think he's one of the relatively younger mobsters who's actually smart. Mistakes like that could have been made by the Gambino's, Lucchese's or Philly. But the Genovese family doens't make such mistakes which is why they always been number one, at least for most of the mob's history.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo? - 07/21/11 09:01 PM

It's true about Ida being angry that Bellomo took a plea deal. But actually trying to have him killed over that? Seems unlikely. In any event, it's obvious which one made the right decision.
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo? - 07/21/11 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
It's true about Ida being angry that Bellomo took a plea deal. But actually trying to have him killed over that? Seems unlikely. In any event, it's obvious which one made the right decision.

Of course. Soon after, I'm sure the whole family realized what a smart move that was. Ida does his bit well, but guys like Casso and John Gotti have no foresight to avoid plea deals. If they weren't so anti-government, Gene Gotti would have been out to run the family instead of Pete or Junior, who nearly brought the Gambinos down. With Casso, look what detesting plea deals got him - a rat in the form of Fat Pete Chiodo. Plea deals are the future, and one of the reasons the Genovese are surviving. Hell, they're whacking their own guys who refuse to take them just to get the message across.
Posted By: ONTARIO613

Re: Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo? - 07/22/11 12:18 AM

ya when the rizzutos ran things they always made everyone take pleas to keep the publicity down and canada has such low sentences and u only serve 1 sixth if its a non violent offense
so they would send there tom hagen like lawyer/consiglieres to visit the defendants in cases and lay it6 quit for them i remember a quote from sixth family about an assciate in a drug smuggling case who wanted to take it to trial the lawyer told him "don`t make beating this case the worst day of your life"
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo? - 07/22/11 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
That article is 14 years old, Gerry. I'm sure that if something was going to happen, it would have happened by now.

I don't believe it anyway. Barney was like a son to Sammy Santora. He practically grew up within the 116th Street crew. Now I'm not saying that Ida wasn't upset about. He may have been. But to try to order a guy as high up as Barney murdered, he would have set off a civil war within the family. And to Ida's credit, he had to know that. The guy knows cosa nostra. That's why I don't believe it.

Personally, I think it was just a rumor started by the Feds to get Barney to flip, which will NEVER happen. The guy is as old school as he is brilliant. And there's no way in Hell he's been put "on the shelf." He's probably acting boss, at the very least. But with the Genovese family, you never really know who's who and what's what. And that's just the way they want it wink.

I'm aware how old the article is, but remember, Bellomo has been in prison nearly all of that time, or supervised release, making him a difficult target.
Posted By: tt120

Re: Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo? - 07/23/11 09:57 PM

if it came down to it, like really came down to it and the whole family was involved, my guess is they'd wack Ida before they'd let anything happen to Bellomo.
Posted By: ONTARIO613

Re: Jimmy Ida wanted to whack Barney Bellomo? - 07/23/11 10:07 PM

I think that the name Bellomo literally translates into goodfella in italian just like bonanno is goodyear
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET