Home

Why use the Mob for help?

Posted By: NickyScarfo

Why use the Mob for help? - 07/17/11 08:43 AM

two bread and butter scams for the mob have always been loansharking and illegal gambling. Can you guys help me with some questions I have on the rackets. I understand some people are so desperate for money that they would feel they need to go to a loanshark, but seriously wouldn't you rather rob a bank or something than be indebted to the mob, having your face smashed in when you can't pay, and also keeping up with the ridiculous vig? How do the mob keep finding these customers?!
Also with illegal sports betting, why would a guy go to a mobster to place a bet? What are the benefits over legal places? cheers guys!
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Why use the Mob for help? - 07/17/11 08:50 AM

You can legally bet on sports only in a few places in the U.S. And there, you have to have the money up front. Mob bookmaking operations take bets on credit and typically settle up weekly. That's where the loansharks often come in if the bettor doesn't have the money to cover his losses. That's why they're the two main "bread and butter" rackets for the mob. They bring you in with the gambling and keep you with the loans.

Re: Why use the Mob for help? - 07/17/11 08:54 AM

Oh that makes sense, I didn't know that you couldn't bet on sports in every state.
Posted By: Gumad

Re: Why use the Mob for help? - 07/17/11 12:17 PM

Also, when you play the numbers the illegal guys pay off at a higher amount than the state run pari-mutuel games
Posted By: BarrettM

Re: Why use the Mob for help? - 07/17/11 03:16 PM

A lot of people these days don't have credit for a loan. So they foolishly go to the shadiest bar downtown and find the local connected guy. Unfortunately, they sometimes end up with guys like Teets Battaglia, but money is so tight that it clouds the innocent's judgement. They get desperate and take the risk. There's hardly any legal usury these days. And on the streets if you're a criminal, there are certain shylocks with a reputation of being businesslike with no brutality. So a semi-connected guy can feel safe going to the sharks.
Posted By: GaryH

Re: Why use the Mob for help? - 07/17/11 06:30 PM

Albert DeMeo said that most of his Fathers loan customers were legit 9-5 working guys.
Roy DeMeo didnt ask for credit checks like a bank would and these 9-5 working guys wouldnt have known what Roy was doing behind closed doors at the Gemini.
They wouldnt know he was a vicious killer many times over they'd just take him as a dodgy guy loaning out easy cash.
Knowing what I know I cant think of a worse guy (except maybe Sam Destefano) to be in debt too!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Lilo

Re: Why use the Mob for help? - 07/17/11 06:38 PM

The other benefit to illegal betting is that I presume the bettor might not list all his winnings on his tax returns.
Posted By: ONTARIO613

Re: Why use the Mob for help? - 07/20/11 03:03 PM

If nu want someone beat up but are short on balls then hire them they`l make sure the guy knows who sent em me i`d do it myself
Posted By: Rocco1313

Re: Why use the Mob for help? - 07/20/11 08:15 PM

How would robbing a bank be a better alternative? That part kind of made me laugh.

Re: Why use the Mob for help? - 07/22/11 05:04 AM

just means I would rather do anything else than be in debt to the mob!
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET