Home

crew size

Posted By: thebarber

crew size - 04/07/11 04:02 PM

Hey guys i know crew sizes can range but whats a fair estimate for a crew size these days. In alot of the smaller families if you take the number of soldiers and the number of capos you would think the crews must be small. In new england for example they say there is 35-45 active soldiers and i have seen reports stating there is up to 6- 8 captains . That only 5 soldiers per capo. is that possble ?
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: crew size - 04/07/11 06:25 PM

Well, it's fairly easy to extrapolate. Take for instance the Gambinos during the Gotti era. The number of active capos was placed at around 23. At their peak, the Gambinos probably topped out at around 400 made members. So that would put about 15 to 20 guys in each crew. As far as associates, there are far more of them than there are made guys. Now don't forget, those stats are from the '80s; the numbers are most certainly smaller today.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: crew size - 04/08/11 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: thebarber
Hey guys i know crew sizes can range but whats a fair estimate for a crew size these days. In alot of the smaller families if you take the number of soldiers and the number of capos you would think the crews must be small. In new england for example they say there is 35-45 active soldiers and i have seen reports stating there is up to 6- 8 captains . That only 5 soldiers per capo. is that possble ?

First, you want to go by total members. Even if a guy is in prison or inactive, doesn't mean he's no longer a made guy.

As for New England, the charts you see on the net notwithstanding, they likely don't have 6-8 captains. Certain people on the other board do a good job of making those charts but they can only list what we know - which is always behind the times. And the list of captains likely includes guys that were once captains but are not anymore. There is said to be about 30 or so total members left in Boston, about a dozen or so in Providence, and a handful in Connecticut. Not really a need for 6-8 captains.

New England is about the same size as the families in New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Chicago. Each having a total of around 50 members. Those families have about 4 captains each. My guess that New England is the same.
Posted By: thebarber

Re: crew size - 04/08/11 04:48 PM

Makes sense. Thanks ivy
Posted By: GaryH

Re: crew size - 04/09/11 02:48 PM

I bet that in his heyday - Paul Vario must have had one hell of a crew?

All those soldiers and associates some like Jimmy Burke who had a crew of their own.
Vario pretty much ran East New York and Brownsville.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET