Home

Wiseguys can be petty

Posted By: GaryH

Wiseguys can be petty - 01/29/11 05:15 PM

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/new_witness_in_mob_slays_at_qns_NfTraqJGiSY8uwmMwgoLIP

2 guys got killed over a spilled drink huh?
Ridiculous!!!
Posted By: VinnyGorgeous

Re: Wiseguys can be petty - 01/29/11 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: GaryH

Yeah I know. It's pretty pathetic. Just tells you how fucked up in the head some of these guys are. Assuming it was really over a spilled drink.
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: Wiseguys can be petty - 01/29/11 05:53 PM

I read about this case months ago when the news came out about Vernace being on the Gambino's ruling panel. I don't know how they can even charge him with this murder again, when he already beat the charges in State court. I was under the impression a person can't be charge with the same crime twice. I can't take serious witnesses who appear thirty years later either. I think this is just the Government being a bunch of vindictive a-holes.
Posted By: VinnyGorgeous

Re: Wiseguys can be petty - 01/29/11 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: GerryLang
I read about this case months ago when the news came out about Vernace being on the Gambino's ruling panel. I don't know how they can even charge him with this murder again, when he already beat the charges in State court. I was under the impression a person can't be charge with the same crime twice. I can't take serious witnesses who appear thirty years later either. I think this is just the Government being a bunch of vindictive a-holes.

If you're acquitted in state court, then the state can't indict you again. Unless there's new evidence of course, but the federal courts can indict you and they don't always need new evidence. Especially if it's gonna be part of a racketeering case. I agree though, this case stinks.
Posted By: ovation32

Re: Wiseguys can be petty - 01/29/11 09:33 PM

The States and the Federal Government are considered to be separate sovereigns. The states do not theoretically derive their power from the Federal Government like, for example, New York City does from New York State. Therefore, the double jeopardy clause is not operative when a defendant is charged at the state level and subsequently charged at the federal level (and vice versa).
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET