Home

the mobsters who ruined their families

Posted By: furio_from_naples

the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/04/10 11:48 AM

Nicky Scarfo
before him, the family of Philadelphia was the most stable, wafter Angelo Bruno, the Gentle Don was killed in 1980, began a bloody war that lasted for years, now the philly mob is the most dysfunctional family of la cosa nostra, and is about to become the new mickey mouse mafia.

John Gotti
came to power after killing his boss, he loved celebrities and fine clothes, he couldn't keep his mouth shut. after he was wiretrapped, the feds convinced sammy gravano to flip because Gotti would give him the blame for everything.

Anthony Casso
his paranoia and his bloody determination, to whack the jersey faction , convinced Peter Chiodo, Alphonse "Little Al" D'Arco and others to flip .
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/04/10 07:01 PM

All three are good choices, I consider Gotti the worst of this bunch though, because he inherited such a large and powerful organization, and when he was done with being the boss it was a shell of its former self. When Sammy the Bull was interviewed by the FBI (some of his 302's are on the Smoking Gun website) he listed 21 or 22 capos in the Gambino family. There was a bunch of big money makers among them too, like Patsy Conte, Tommy Gambino, and Jimmy Brown Failla. Gotti started making family members capo's like his son, and brother Pete, who weren't known for their smarts or money making abilities.
Posted By: thebarber

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/04/10 07:06 PM

what about joe massino. He was the bonnano"s bouse until he flipped. A boss flipping thats as bad as it gets

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/04/10 07:52 PM

good idea thebarber, i think victor orena that began, the third Colombo war, for this bloody war the commission kick off the colombo by the commission; Joe Massinothe first boss to wear a microphone and to embed its successor Vinni gorgeous Basciano, today the bonannos still not have a boss, Ralph Guarino a simple assocciate that almost led to extinction the DeCavalcante family.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/04/10 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: thebarber
what about joe massino. He was the bonnano"s bouse until he flipped. A boss flipping thats as bad as it gets

Actually, Massino brought the Bonannos back to a much stronger point from where they were during the 1990's. Of course many of his top guys, and eventually Massino himself, later fell like dominoes.
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/05/10 01:00 AM

Wasnt Massino also planning to change the families name to Massino instead of Bonanno? If he had continued unnoticed, he would have gotten the Bonannos back to the days when they were strong. Not a former shadow of itself
Posted By: flamingokid123

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/10 12:45 AM

All good choices.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/10 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Mukremin
Wasnt Massino also planning to change the families name to Massino instead of Bonanno? If he had continued unnoticed, he would have gotten the Bonannos back to the days when they were strong. Not a former shadow of itself

Yeah, he had started referring to the Family after himself. His reasoning was it shouldn't be called the Bonanno Family anymore since Joe Bonanno had written a book about his life. Ironically, Massino himself later went even further. I don't think the Massino name would have been taken on anyway. The five New York Families have been going by the same names for decades now.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/10 12:01 PM

Well, they blew up the chicken man in philly last night
Now, they blew up his house, too
Down on the boardwalk they're gettin ready for a fight
Gonna see what them racket boys can do

Bruce Springsteen Atlantic City

Little Nicky Scarfo Nicodemo led to ruin, the family of Philadelphia,gave permission to Gambinos and Genoveses ,

which according to some, acted in the shadows to kill Angelo Bruno, to operate in Atlantic City ,which was

previously the exclusive domain of philly mob.Start a war against Harry Riccobene which caused dozens of deaths and

injuries. because his family remained in the same size about 60 soldiers over thirty years, half still in jail,

making it the most dysfunctional family of the Mafia, close to become the mickey mouse LCN family of East Coast.

In front of sparks, body of Castellano
Block away watched by Gotti and Gravano
It's la Cosa Nostra, someone close approach you

Cam'ron Welcome To New York City

John Gotti aka The Dapper Don , aka the Teflon Don ruined the gambino, but not as Nicky Scarfo.When sammy gravano,

killed his boss Paul Castellano and his underboss Tommy Billotti in December 1985, Gambino was the most strong

family in New York with 350 men on the streets, after Gotti was convicted in 1992 it remained 150.When became the

new boss forced every made man and assocciate to pay tribute. Allowing the FBI to know the members of didn't knew

the existence, unlike Gambino and Castellano, made a lot of money through drugs, with his brother Gene,gotti was

jealous of he,because Gene become a man of honor before him. Gene was sentenced to 50 years for drug smuggling

heroin to be precise, inducted and promoted captains his son Junior who was acting boss from 1992 to 1999, and who

was a complet idiot. Gotti couldn't keep his mouth shut, so the feds convinced Gravano to testify because the

boss would fall all the blame on him . He was beaten in jail by a black and had promised $ 100,000 to the Aryan

Brotherhood to kill him but failed and died in prison of throat cancer in 2002, no high-rankin mobster went to his

funeral.

'Whack New Jersey'
Anthony ''gaspipe'' Casso

Anthony Casso with victor amuso heavily damaged the Lucchese family, becamed boss in 1987 amuso appointed Casso as

underboss.paranoid by nature, he killed anyone suspected of being a rat, new jersey faction led by michael Taccetta

gave an annual tribute of $ 50.000 to the family, Casso wanted more, but Taccetta refused. So casso with this

words 'whack New Jersey' ordered to kill all 40 members of the faction. Began a war that led to the death or

woundered men of both two factions.Many men like Peter Chiodo, Alphonse "Little Al" D'Arco and others, agreed to

testify against casso and amuso.Both are serving a life sentence.

It soon rumored around the country that the Commission had played both sides during the Colombo War, not responding

to the questions asked by both Persico and Orena, of who would continue as the Boss of the Colombo crime family, in

an attempt to completely destroy the much wounded crime family by letting them fight each other.

Victor Orena

a powerful brooklyn capregime and in 1988 acting boss of the colombos, in 1991 after an the attempt on his life, On

June 20, 1991, a five-man hit team led by acting consigliere Carmine Sessa and John Pate and Hank Smurra (all men

controlled by Greg Scarpa) converged on Orena's home on Long Island planning to assassinate him. The plan failed

because Orena arrived home prematurely before the killers were ready. After the attempt on his life, he reached out

to the other families, asking the Mafia Commission's to legitimize his position, while Sessa appealed to the

Commission on behalf of Persico, portraying Orena as an upstart who was betraying his longtime boss, Orena already

had a strong reputation as an honorable man with the other crime families. The group acted without approval of

Carmine Persico, but Carmine Sessa and John Pate (said they did it to protect their lives from Orena. They claimed

they could not tell Theodore Persico, brother of Carmine for fear he would go to Orena. The general opinion was

that the attempted hit made made without approval from Carmine Persico because of Orena's strong stance against

narcotics,while Gregory Scarpa, John Pate and Carmine Sessa were involved in the sales of narcotics.Gregory "Greg

the Grim Reaper" Scarpa, Carmine Sessa and John Pate all became cooperators as informants for the F.B.I.
On November 18, 1991, Orena supporters began a war against the Persico faction, opening fire on Persico's top capo,

Gregory "Greg the Grim Reaper" Scarpa, Sr., it began the third colombo war.in 1993 after twenty and more murdered,

40 members of the persico faction was arrested,same thing happened to many members of orena faction,It was during

the "Colombo trials", that Greg Scarpa would be recognized as an informer and testify against dozens of members of

the Colombo crime family, including Vic Orena himself. In 4 federal cases there were acquittals including Victor

Orena's sons, William "Wild Bill"Cutolo and Alphonse" Allie Boy" Persico when revelations by several F.B.I. agents

exposed a 30-year relationship with the F.B.I. and interference to keep the murderous Scarpa on the street.

Addresses of murder targets were provided by agents and Scarpa was notified of informers in his vicinity. Carmine

Sessa testified that he saw agents visiting Scarpa in the hospital and was present when his wife said his "Friend"

a name for his F.B.I. handler, called and said that" he would not have to fear jail" for a crime he committed.This

fact did not stop Sessa from joining forces and remaining a follower of Scarpa.

In late 1992, Orena's most powerful caporegime, Pasquale "Patty" Amato, was arrested along with the remaining Orena

faction. Later, the imprisoned Carmine Persico and the remaining Persico faction claimed the victory of the Colombo

War.

It soon rumored around the country that the Commission had played both sides during the Colombo War, not responding

to the questions asked by both Persico and Orena, of who would continue as the Boss of the Colombo crime family, in

an attempt to completely destroy the much wounded crime family by letting them fight each other.

Victor Orena was tried on several counts of racketeering, murder and conspiracy to commit murder in New York City,

receiving life imprisonment

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/10 12:11 PM

I wouldnt be surprised that the Commission would indeed let them fight out, but it is not a smart thing. It will draw more heat towards the mafia. Unless they were thinking that they could take over whatever is left of the Colombos. But its highly unlikely that a family that big would be destroyed by internal fighting. Sooner or later it will calm down and someone oldschool will take over the reigns.

Interseting;) thanks for sharing
Posted By: Tyler_Durden

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/10 02:29 PM

Not trying to defend Casso,'cause he is a Machiavellian,sociopathic scumbag,but from a Cosa Nostra point of view,I always felt he was at least partly justified in his actions regarding the Jersey Crew.

Casso was the boss(well,underboss,but it was a power behind the throne situation),the rules were always that whatever the boss says,that's the way it is.The Jersey Crew were making millions,maybe tens of millions,and what they were kicking up(50 thousand a year) was,to put it simply,an insult.They should have expected it.

Also,him trying to "whack Jersey" was always a bit overstated.I may be wrong,but I always believed that he mainly tried to kill the Accetturos and a couple of other people,not the entire Jersey crew,which had 40 made guys and probably hundreds of associates

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/10 02:49 PM

Justified? Come on, if Carlo Gambino, Tony Accardo, Lucky Luciano, hell even Angelo Bruno, those guys i would call justified. Not the likes of Casso, or Amuso, not even Gotti. Even though they were bosses, killing a whole crew cuz of that, no way.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/07/10 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Tyler_Durden
Not trying to defend Casso,'cause he is a Machiavellian,sociopathic scumbag,but from a Cosa Nostra point of view,I always felt he was at least partly justified in his actions regarding the Jersey Crew.

Casso was the boss(well,underboss,but it was a power behind the throne situation),the rules were always that whatever the boss says,that's the way it is.The Jersey Crew were making millions,maybe tens of millions,and what they were kicking up(50 thousand a year) was,to put it simply,an insult.They should have expected it.

Also,him trying to "whack Jersey" was always a bit overstated.I may be wrong,but I always believed that he mainly tried to kill the Accetturos and a couple of other people,not the entire Jersey crew,which had 40 made guys and probably hundreds of associates

The same could be said about Scarfo. Once he became the boss, he technically had the right to demand tribute and obedience from guys like Riccobene and others who balked at following the new leadership. Especially since Scarfo was backed as boss by New York.

Of course one could argue that, practically speaking, guys like Scarfo and Casso went about it too heavy-handed. They were too quick to kill and didn't really care how many bodies piled up. That doesn't exactly help with loyalty in the ranks.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/07/10 09:23 AM

You have to give credit to the Riccobenes, they were standup guys. How they managed to fight back against Scarfo. I always have some kind of respect towards them. What a wonderful movie it would be smile about the Riccobene wars.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/07/10 10:55 AM

Starz Planning to Remake 'Underbelly'
http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/06/22/starz-planning-to-remake-underbelly/

would be really funny if, starz decided to do a remake of underbelly, focusing on the Scarfo-Riccobene war .
Little Nicky''Scarfo a violent mobster, who rose to prominence after his boss, was killed by his own men, with the consent of New York Families.

Harry Riccobene, a old school mobster, for him the loyalty and honor are everything in life.
neither of them wanted to die, neither wanted to give up power.
It would be war. A war that would upset Philadelphia, and brought to ruin the Philly mob''
Posted By: Tyler_Durden

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/07/10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

The same could be said about Scarfo. Once he became the boss, he technically had the right to demand tribute and obedience from guys like Riccobene and others who balked at following the new leadership. Especially since Scarfo was backed as boss by New York.

I agree but to a lesser extent.From my understanding Riccobene was always more of an independent guy,he didn't really work together with the rest of the family even under Bruno.Where as the Jersey Crew I imagine were trading on the Lucchese family name.

Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Of course one could argue that, practically speaking, guys like Scarfo and Casso went about it too heavy-handed. They were too quick to kill and didn't really care how many bodies piled up. That doesn't exactly help with loyalty in the ranks.

Agreed.
But it's a double-edged sword.Casso demands more money,Accetturo tells him to go fuck himself,Casso sits still and takes it.How does that look?Makes Casso look weak,the Bronx faction starts getting ideas...

From my understanding,even though Casso was greatly respected for his earning potential,he wasn't really liked except by guys in his own inner circle because he made alot of enemies getting to the top.What was his saving grace was that basically 95 percent of the wiseguys across the five families were petrified of him.Especially after he got the two cops and the FBI guy on his payrol,no one knew the extent of his power,he was like a real life Keyser Soze.

The book "The Brotherhoods" which deals extensively with Casso and Al D'Arco in that documentary pretty much imply that when Gravano had bad dreams,they were of Casso :D,and Gravano was very high-up.

So I guess he had to keep the ball rolling...
Posted By: Lilo

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/07/10 07:54 PM

Sollozzo said "..Blood is a BIG expense". All of the guys mentioned couldn't determine when someone had to go and it cost them and their organizations immensely.

I think that when you get rid of someone generally speaking it had better be for a reason that everyone else in the family could agree with and understand because otherwise you make a lot of very dangerous and greedy men more frightened and paranoid.

Also in a lot of these hits discussed there were quite a few people involved. It seems like one would want to limit the people directly involved. You can't inform on what you don't know about.
Posted By: GaryH

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/07/10 09:18 PM

I would say the biggest was when Gotti ruined the Gambino with his own arrogance, flamboyance and vanity.
Gotti's knack of drawing heavy attention to cosa nostra had to have an adverse effect on the other 4 families!

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/07/10 10:30 PM

Yeah we could add Casso and Gotti on a different list to, like Gary said. They destroyed much of the 5 families in those days.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/08/10 06:48 PM

The Mobster who ruined their Families official chart
1.Nicky Scarfo
2.John Gotti
3.Anthony Casso
4.Victor Orena
5.Joseph Massino
6.John Nardi
7.Ralph Guarino
8.Vincent Palermo
9.Anthony Pilotro
10.Carlos Marcello

This list is temporary, please give your suggestions
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/08/10 07:44 PM

Seeing the current status of the Philadelphia family compared with their status in the 1970s, Scarfo definitely belongs on the top spot of the list. But he's not the only one who's responsible for their decline. If Bruno wasn't murdered by some idiot, it would not have been the same. Also, the war between Stanfa and Joey Merlino's thugs is what really brought down the family.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/08/10 08:41 PM

Vic Orena? That one is questionable to me, he wanted to take on the mantle from The Snake who was jailed for life at that time. He was extremely liked and a great earner by the family, and he had ordered Sessa to poll all the Captains together and vote on making him official Boss,thats when Sessa decided he didnt like that and carried out a Hit with some other guys and war started.

Maybe Carmine Persico should be on that list? What do you all think...

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/08/10 10:24 PM

I agree with you on that DapperDon, i think that Vic Orena would have been a better boss, and perhaps even bring back glory to the Colombos. Carmine Persico still retaining the official title as Boss, is surely a signal of disorganization within the family. I would put Persico loyalists to the list also, not Orena.

And the Philly part, it all started with the killing of Bruno. So you could add Caponigro to the list also. It was the beginning of the end for the Philadelphia mob. Stanfa/ Merlino only added more heat to the fire allready started by the killing of Bruno.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/09/10 07:36 PM

Everything I've read about Vic Orena the opinion by the vast majority was he was a great guy and honorable man, considering the lifestyle he lived. I think Carmine Sessa did more to ruin the Colombo's then anyone from that period of time, and he basically got away unscathed, they say he flipped 10 minutes after being arrested.

Joe Messina really did mess the Bonanno's up after doing a great rebuilding them. I suppose his hand were tied though between all his inner circle flipping, and the dirty tactics of the government. It seems his innercircle was made up of mostly business type men who had a lot of money, and didn't want to spend the rest of their life in prison. The fact that the government wanted to take the homes of his mother and wife didn't help either.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/09/10 10:16 PM

But thats doesnt mean he can go and screw everyone else and destroy the thing that he worrked for years. His hands werent tied, cuz he still had the choice to do his time.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/10/10 01:06 AM

well its kind of hard to do your time when the govt threatens the death penalty against you but still he should have taken his medicine

'Massino was later charged with ordering the murders of Napolitano and Mirra. Massino was scheduled to go on trial for the second time for a separate murder trial, which he was also expected to lose. If convicted, he faced the death penalty. On February 4, 2005, the FBI revealed that Massino was the source for the graveyard. Hoping to save his life and his assets, Massino had begun to cooperate sometime in late September 2004 by recording conversations with his acting boss, Vincent Basciano."

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/10/10 02:57 AM

But thats doesnt mean he can go and screw everyone else and destroy the thing that he worrked for years. His hands werent tied, cuz he still had the choice to do his time.

I never said he shouldn't have just done his time. My point is the FBI can very vindictive and petty when they want to. They don't just go after the accused, they make it hell for the accused family too. That is not too mention all of the other dirty tactics they've participated in while investigating and prosecuting mafia figures. The entire witness protection program has become a joke, guys can live as a criminal for decades doing loads of devious things and get out of jail just for testifying against another criminal.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/10/10 06:39 AM

Thats exactly what i think of the FBI and the program, i agree with you on that. Most of the rats still contineu the criminal carreer.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/10/10 06:56 PM

New Chart

1.Nicky Scarfo
2.John Gotti
3.Anthony Casso
4.Greg Scarpa/Carmine Persico/Joseph Profaci
5.Joseph Massino
6.Joseph Gallo
7.John Nardi
8.Ralph Guarino
9.Vincent Palermo
10.Anthony Pilotro
11.Carlos Marcello

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/10/10 09:47 PM

Joseph Profaci? ohwell

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 12:31 AM

Yeah, whats he on the list for grin
he was a greedy boss, collecting membership tax but in general he was an okay guy grin

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 11:02 AM

joeph Profaci was a very greedy boss, forcing members to pay $ 25 a month, as an old Sicilian tradition, to help the families of mafiosi in prison, in reality, stayed with Profaci. Profaci didn't tolerate any dissent to his policies.Profaci didn't tolerate any dissent to his policies. People who expressed discontent with the tithing policy or other matters were murdered.When he ordered to kil Frank Abbatemarco, a bookmaker, and split the profits between himself, his relatives and his colose associates, instead of giving it to the Gallo brothers, who had more right because they are already cooperating with Abbatemarco,Gallos began to rebels to Profaci.When Gaetano Lucchese and Carlo Gambino proposed him to withdraw, to avoid the impending war with the Gallos , he refused, because he thought (and perhaps he was right) that the two were in agreement with Gallo, and said he would set off a gang war if they tried to dismiss it.
And so began the First Colombo War

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 03:20 PM

He was the one who founded the family. Without him the Colombo's wouldn't be there to be ruined in the first place. wink

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 06:35 PM

Colombo wasnt liked that much, i think Profaci was more respected. After all Colombo did draw heat towards Cosa Nostra with his early Gotti type career.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 07:07 PM

After all Colombo did draw heat towards Cosa Nostra with his early Gotti type career.

Yeah, but that didn't hurt him half as much as that silly Italian-American Civil Rights League crusade. In theory, a good organization, but when it's run by the very stereotype that we're railing against (Italians as criminals), it was really kind of ridiculous.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 07:25 PM

Shouldn't Amuso be up there before or with Casso, because he was actually the boss for a few years, and seemed to be just as nuts as Casso.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: GerryLang
Shouldn't Amuso be up there before or with Casso, because he was actually the boss for a few years, and seemed to be just as nuts as Casso.

That's a good point. Casso turning rat kind of let Amuso off the hook by comparison. But back in the '80s, Amuso was just as insane. Crazy part is, a lot of people believe that Casso was Tony "Ducks" choice for his successor, but Casso deferred to Amuso for some reason. Either way, they were both crazy as shithouse rats. Still, Amuso does have his loyalists. Because if nothing else, he's no rat.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 07:55 PM

I think Casso deserves the upper spot, sure Amuso is mad and crazy but Casso is of a different calibre.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

That's a good point. Casso turning rat kind of let Amuso off the hook by comparison. But back in the '80s, Amuso was just as insane. Crazy part is, a lot of people believe that Casso was Tony "Ducks" choice for his successor, but Casso deferred to Amuso for some reason. Either way, they were both crazy as shithouse rats. Still, Amuso does have his loyalists. Because if nothing else, he's no rat.

Casso was Tony Ducks choice for Boss but he turned it down cause he knew the new Boss would have target from the FBI on their back so he suggested Amuso be made Boss and he stay as Consigliere. Amuso and him were very close friends before they were known as "Vic and Gas" by the guys in the family, Casso was much more outspoken than Vic and thus he was able to control Amuso through his actions.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/11/10 10:13 PM

Casso would not have been the first choice for Boss, because there werent any qualified guys left to replace Corallo. Casso was a good earner, thats all.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/12/10 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Amuso does seem to be well liked to this day by some, I've read post on other forums from guys that knew him, and they seem to have a lot of respect for him, or he might just have a big family. The whole transition after Tony Ducks went down seems sketchy. Some sources say he made Buddy Luongo the boss, and then he was killed a short time later by Amuso. If that is true people must have really been afraid of him and Casso because there was no attempts against their lives by other members in the family after killing the active boss. I read the book about Casso by Carlo, and I don't remember them talking much about the Luongo hit.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/13/10 12:11 PM

yes, this photo was taken when Nardi was still alive

http://csos.movieset.com/download/movieset/s/ekfnsl/images/d0gxjf-560x420.jpg

Vincent D'onofrio as John Nardi in the movie (to kill the) Irishman.

John Nardi could have a very promising future in the Cleveland Family, however, too independent and arrogant don't want to wait to become a made man, in 1976 the family pocketed a lot of money during the feast of the Assumption in Cleveland's Little Italy,Nardi wanted a part of profits, but Leo Moceri the family unddrboss laughed in the face of nardi, his murder began the war. Nardi allied with the Irish gangster Danny Greene.
In the summer of 1976, Moceri disappeared; in August his Mercedes-Benz sports car was found soaked in blood. Greene and Nardi then went after Eugene "the Animal" Ciasullo, the family's most feared enforcer. Ciasullo was seriously injured by a bomb placed on his front porch.
In 1976, after the Moceri murder, Licavoli and new underboss Angelo Lonardo went to New York to talk to Anthony Salerno, the titular head of the New York Genovese crime family. The two Cleveland mobsters wanted Salerno's help in murdering Greene and Nardi. Nardi and Greene had previously taken a trip to New York to discuss a partnership with Gambino crime family boss Paul Castellano about a meat business venture in Texas. Salerno agreed to speak to Castellano and to have Nardi and Greene murdered on their next trip to New York. However, neither Greene or Nardi travelled to New York again.

There were two murder attempts on Nardi's life by Cleveland family mafiosi Butchie Cisternino and Allie Calabrese prior to his eventual murder. They tried to assassinate Nardi in Little Italy with a high-powered rifle. Another attempt was made a few days later when a shotgun blast was fired at Nardi from a moving car. In response to these murder attempts , Nardi threatened that everyone responsible for taking shots at him would be killed.
Just weeks before his death, Nardi granted an interview to a reporter inquiring about a rumor that Licavoli and he were feuding. During the interview, Nardi stated that he and Licavoli were lifelong friends and vehemently denied the allegations that there was a feud between them. He also denied that Danny Greene worked for him stating that they were just friends.
On May 17, 1977, in Cleveland, a bomb was placed in car next to Nardi's vehicle in the rear of the parking lot of the Teamsters Joint Council 41, across from the musicians union. When Nardi left his office and entered into his vehicle, the bomb was detonated by remote control. The impact from the explosion had blown away both of Nardi's legs. According to the book To Kill the Irishman by Rick Porrello, as Nardi was being pulled away from the wreckage, Nardi whispered "It didn't hurt" in a final act of defiance. He was pronounced dead within minutes.
Posted By: Lorenzo

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/13/10 01:43 PM

Just is picture alone is scary enough I would hate to meet this guy in person.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/13/10 03:44 PM

He looks rather funny imo.

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/14/10 11:44 AM

Gregory Scarpa was for years the best soldier and member of the Persico faCTION in the third Colombo war, but since the '60s he is an FBI informant, according to some this is the reason because Carmine Persico has done so often in prison. Having to submit to a blood transfusion, he preferred to accept the blood of his men, however, didn't know that one of them, perhaps Paul Mele, was hiv positive.
He was a bodybuilder who abused steroids and could have taken the disease from a infected needle. Scarpa to justify his failing health told everyone he had cancer. After he was arrested in 1992 and admitted to being an informer, he convict
all members of his faction; was sentenced to 10 years for three murders, died of AIDS nell'1994. Because of him and his mistress Linda Schiro, Lyndsey DeVecchio an FBI agent, who was the contact of Scarpa, was accused and then acquitted of corruption.

http://realdealmafia.com/scarpaold.jpg
Scarpa,in prison before die.

Carmine Persico, said the snake, and the immortal. Still boss of the Colombo family in prison since 1987, the only survivor of the commission trial, Joe Pistone in his book says that once was so stupid because of it easy in a case he gets 14 years instead of 1. Initially it was in the Gallo faction, then passed to the winning side, and nearly died in the attack by the warp Gallo in retaliation.Although incarcerated for the rest of his natural life, Persico formed the "Lompoc Four", a band in which Russo played guitar and Persico played the drums, as well as participating in the annual prison rodeo competition

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/19/10 06:48 PM

[img:left]http://alpacino66.skyrock.com/photo.html?id_article=1128535650[/img]

Anthony John Spilotro (May 19, 1938 to June 14, 1986) was a member of the Family of Chicago (the outfit). He worked in Las Vegas in the 70 and 80. His job was to protect and monitor the illegal profits of the mafia in casinos.
Anthony Spilotro was known by the press as the "Tony the Ant" (Tony the Ant), because of its size (1.55 m). He was born and raised in Chicago, a family of five children. His parents Pasquale and Antoinette Spilotro, emigrants originating Triggiano, city located in Italy in the province of Bari , managed an Italian restaurant in Chicago. With his brothers John, Michael and Victor, Tony began his criminal activities very young. (Two other brothers have managed to avoid the attraction of crime: one of them, Pasquale Jr., became a highly respected dentist in the Chicago area.)
A dunce at school, dropped the Spilotro Steinmetz High School in its second year, and began to commit a series of petty crimes. He was arrested many times while walking in the streets. In these streets he met Vincent "The Saint" Inserro, who presented the crime figures in Chicago such as Joseph Aiuppa, Jimmy "the Turk" Torrelló, Joseph Lombardo and William Daddano Sr. All those men who become senior members in the Family of Chicago. The mentors were Spilotro Sam "Mad" DeStefano, Felix "Milwaukee Phil" Alderisio and Charles Nicoletti, all serious killers. Tony became a member of the Family of Chicago in 1963.
In 1971, Spilotro succeeded Marshall Caifano as a representative of the Outfit in Las Vegas (Nevada). Spilotro was sent to Vegas with his old childhood friend, Frank "Lefty" Rosenthal, a bookmaker of Jewish origin, who ran several casinos run by the family, including the Stardust. Spilotro and Rosenthal worked together to divert the profits of casinos and send to the families of Cosa Nostra in the Midwest, particularly the family of Chicago. When Rosenthal was responsible for the management of casinos, Spilotro's primary role was to control casino employees and other personnel involved in the embezzlement of casino profits. Since his arrival in Vegas, Spilotro and his team racket bosses of casinos, bookmakers, small drug dealers. In short, he wanted to make Las Vegas its territory. The problem was that the boss of Chicago sent him to Vegas to watch the casinos of the Family, not to get noticed. On top of that, the role of Spilotro was severely reduced after the Gaming Commission of the State of Nevada has put on their blacklist, in December 1979. The blacklist is a law that prohibits the entry of all casinos located in the state of Nevada. At about the same time, Spilotro formed a team of jewel thief with his friend Frank Culotta he knew the gang "Hole in the Wall" (hole in the wall). Their gang was called so because they burglarized jewelry making holes in walls. Spilotro invested their illegal profits by opening a jewelry store and a restaurant. At that time, his relationship with Rosenthal have started to deteriorate after Spilotro had had an affair with Rosenthal's wife, Geraldine McGee.
In addition, the relationship with Spilotro his wife Nancy became increasingly difficult, and their heated discussions often ended with strong arguments, with physical violence. (Note: Tony Spilotro had a son with his wife Nancy, named Vincent. During childhood Vincent, Tony Spilotro was returning each morning to prepare breakfast for her son and take him to school, he invariably this ritual, although the night he committed a robbery or murder.)
Spilotro was blacklisted casinos that were supposed to monitor, it generated media attention with his business of murder and theft of jewelry, and did not respect the honor code of the Mafia, which stipulates the prohibition of sleep with the wife of another mobster or a partner. All these factors caused the fall of Spilotro. With the rise of a new boss in the family of Chicago, Joe Ferriola, the decision to kill Spilotro was taken. With his brother Michael, Tony Spilotro was brutally beaten with baseball bats and buried in a cornfield in the state of Indiana, near St. Anne, Illinois. After an autopsy on the bodies of two brothers, FBI forensic experts have concluded that Tony and Michael Spilotro were buried alive. No arrest was not made until April 25, 2005, when 14 members of The Outfit (including the renowned chef James Marcello) were arrested for 18 murders including those of the Spilotro brothers.
"Tony the Ant" is suspected of participating in some 22 murders. Spilotro was known for his involvement in the murders of James Miraglia and Bill McCarthy in 1962, better known as "M & M Murders" (M & M Murders) Spilotro McCarthy put his head in a vise, making out his eyeballs from his head, immortalized by the famous scene from Martin Scorsese film Casino. Miraglia and McCarthy were two burglars who had killed two gangsters, brothers Scalvo (Ronald and Phillip), and that also owed money to Sam DeStefano, Spilotro's mentor. The bodies of two men were found in the trunk of a car May 15, 1962, in Chicago. The two bodies had been badly beaten, their throats were sliced and McCarthy's head was completely distorted, with one eye. Tony Spilotro was subjected to all kinds of torture McCarthy, for example, he sprayed his face with gasoline and set fire to, to know the name of his accomplice, in this case James Miraglia.
Spilotro was probably involved in a bomb attack against Rosenthal October 4, 1982.
Spilotro was also implicated in the murder of his former mentor Sam "Mad" DeStefano April 15, 1973, at the time or Sam, his brother Mario and Spilotro were all on trial for the murder of Leo Foreman, a collector local Mafia, who was brutally tortured to death by Sam DeStefano.
The character of Nicky Santoro, mafioso nasty, bloodthirsty and power, beautifully played by Joe Pesci in the movie Casino, is largely based on Tony Spilotro.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/15 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Tyler_Durden

I've said similar before. Guys like D'Arco and Ricciardi always overstate Casso and Amuso's psychopathy to justify their own flakiness. D'Arco turned his own children into junkies and blamed it on his bosses. And Ricciardi wasn't the saint that Manhattan Mob Rampage would have you believe - look at Seton Hall and the golf club beating on Craparotta.

They were all as bad as each other.

Chiodo was the only high profile guy who ratted with any justification.
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/15 06:21 PM

Moe, to use the words rat and justification in the same sentence just doesn't make sense to me...They know way beforehand what that life is all about before signing up, so....

Anyway, maybe if he got "The Tick Special" he would have thought twice about doing what he did. LOL
Posted By: bronx

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/15 06:34 PM

angelo ruggiero and j.g, ... vic gas,.. nicky scarfo, tony cap.. joe messino,killed all his tough guys. left shit i.e. t.g. et al ....vin palermo,
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/15 06:40 PM

"They call me "Tick" because the minutes will feel like hours when Bruno and Sal here beat you to within an inch of your life and make you suck my dead dick".

Tick tock... tick tock... tick tock... tick tock...

"Now tell me where D'Arco is or I will give new meaning to the expression rusty trombone".
Posted By: njcapo35

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/06/15 07:12 PM

Hahaha...You are one, sick in the head, son o bitch!
Posted By: Nicholas

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/07/15 01:02 AM

I think Carmine Persico did far more damage than Orena ever did.
Posted By: Regoparker100

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/08/15 02:07 AM

What about Phil Rastelli? He was an ineffectual boss, wasn't he? Donnie Brasco, excessive drug dealing, Carmine Galante, the Three Capos' revolt, getting thrown off the Commission because of Donnie Brasco/drug dealing/internal warfare since the 1960s, behind bars most of the time, family shut off from most of inter-LCN joint rackets such as construction/labor unions/garbage.
Posted By: Zavattoni

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/08/15 03:37 PM

Phil Rastelli has to be on that list. During his tenure as Boss, Was he even on the streets? If so, What years? You had the 3 capos revolt, and the Carmine Galante incident, which i think damaged the family.
Posted By: Regoparker100

Re: the mobsters who ruined their families - 12/08/15 06:36 PM

By the 1980s, the Bonannos were the laughing stock of the mob. Nobody from the other families took them seriously.

3 Capos, Donnie Brasco, etc. and the list goes on and on.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET