Home

Joe DiMaggio

Posted By: goodfellaoggie

Joe DiMaggio - 08/23/02 06:14 AM

i remember his name mentioned in the Godfather book something like "could be another Joe DiMaggio." is he connected with the Mafias? how? does he have the same influence as Frank Sinatra's? grazie!

GoodFella
Posted By: CharlieLucifer

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/23/02 08:36 AM

To my knowledge Joltin' Joe didn't have any mob ties... way back when he was the biggest star in baseball... and he was looked up to by a lot of Italians, which is why you can hear his name in several mafia movies.

-Lucky
Posted By: BronxKing

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/23/02 06:51 PM

I'm not sure, but there are rumors that he did at least have some friends who were 'shady' characters. There was a story that Joe and Frank Sinatra with the "blessing" of the mob kicked in a door where Marilyn Monroe was suppossedly with some guy. This was after their divorce. One problem...they kicked down the wrong door (someone else's apt.) and they were very !!!!

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:tT3gMEFTRlkC:school.discovery.com/clipart/images/crown.gif[/img]
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/23/02 10:42 PM

By coincidence: I was reading about DiMagg and Mob ties Wednesday in Cramer's book, "Joe DiMaggio: the Hero's Life." According to Cramer, DiMagg in the late '30's and early '40's was a great hero and exemplar to the Italian-American community at a time when many Americans had negative associations--i.e., the Mob and Mussolini. Frank Costello in particular was grateful to have DiMagg as the exemplar of Italian-American virtue. And since he owned or influenced many nightclubs in New York, Costello made sure that, every time DiMagg visited a nightclub or restaurant, the owner not only picked up the tab, but deposited $200 or so in a trust account in the Dime Savings Bank of NY that Costello administered through fronts. This "fee" was for the "goodwill" that DiMagg brought to the club and its nominal owner. DiMagg, according to Cramer, was a world-class freeloader, and this arrangement suited him to a T.
Posted By: BronxKing

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/24/02 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
DiMagg, according to Cramer, was a world-class freeloader, and this arrangement suited him to a T.
I know everybody's got weaknesses, but living in 'Joisey', please don't say this in your "friendly nieghborhood tavern"!!!

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:tT3gMEFTRlkC:school.discovery.com/clipart/images/crown.gif[/img]

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/24/02 12:56 AM

i just got a book from booksale, its the unauthorized biography of Frank Sinatra. i've read some of the pages with DiMaggio's name. the one's Bronxking just said was there(kicking the wrong apartment door with Frank), and he is a friend of Albert Anastasia. i just hope it has more infos on Joe and the mob. BTW, the story of Willie Morreti (New Jersey Padrino)and Tommy Dorsey(Frank's band leader) was also in the book. i got so excited that i have to read some of the pages but i'll read it from the start this afternoon. . .

GoodFella

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/24/02 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BronxKing:
[quote]Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] DiMagg, according to Cramer, was a world-class freeloader, and this arrangement suited him to a T.
I know everybody's got weaknesses, but living in 'Joisey', please don't say this in your "friendly nieghborhood tavern"!!!

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:tT3gMEFTRlkC:school.discovery.com/clipart/images/crown.gif[/img][/b][/quote]Yes, and I wouldn't want to be the insurance agent who sold Cramer a policy if Cramer ever decided to visit your home borough!

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/24/02 05:03 PM

Senor Turnbull, was DiMaggio have the same influence as Frank Sinatra's to the Mafia's?

GoodFella

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/24/02 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goodfellaoggie:
Senor Turnbull, was DiMaggio have the same influence as Frank Sinatra's to the Mafia's?

GoodFella
There wasn't much more about the Mafia and DiMaggio in Cramer's book, Goodfella. As far as I can tell, all he did was get freebees--he didn't ask for favors, act as an intermediary, or get intervention in troubles, as did Sinatra.

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/25/02 06:14 AM

grazies Senor!

GoodFella
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/25/02 06:30 AM

Speaking of Joe DiMaggio, and not being a sports enthusiast, why do they call him "Joltin Joe"??

TIS
Posted By: GodYankee

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/25/02 01:11 PM

Goodfellaoggie, when they refer to "another Joe Dimaggio" in the GF novel, they're talking about someone's physcial strength, I forget if it's Al Neri or Carlo Rizzi. TIS, Joe Dimaggio is known as "Joltin' Joe" becuase his bat speed-how quickly he swings the bat- was so fast it was "like lightning."

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/25/02 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GodYankee:
Goodfellaoggie, when they refer to "another Joe Dimaggio" in the GF novel, they're talking about someone's physcial strength, I forget if it's Al Neri or Carlo Rizzi.
its Fat Clemenza talking about Al Neri. anyways, thanks Mang.

GoodFella

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/25/02 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Speaking of Joe DiMaggio, and not being a sports enthusiast, why do they call him "Joltin Joe"??

TIS
Before he played pro ball, he was the apprentice electric chair operator at Alcatraz. (just kidding, TIS )
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/25/02 11:18 PM

Very cute TB!!

I like your humor!

TIS
Posted By: Vito Andolini

Re: Joe DiMaggio - 08/26/02 02:49 PM

Actually, one of the theories out there is that DiMaggio went to the Mafia to have JFK killed.

It was well-known that DiMaggio and Kennedy didn't get along because of the whole Marilyn Monroe saga.

In fact, one Opening Day at Yankee Stadium, Kennedy threw out the ceremonial first pitch. On his way off the field, he walked past all the Yankees, who were lined up in front of the dugout. While all the other ballplayers shook JFK's hand, DiMaggio wouldn't even look at him.

It's hard to imagine that DiMaggio didn't have at least some ties to the Mafia.

Pretty much every Italian has a connection if they look hard enough. And Italians as famous as Joltin' Joe at least had the opportunity.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET