Home

Once Upon A Time in America

Posted By: Antoni Canoli

Once Upon A Time in America - 04/13/06 05:30 PM

In my thread about your Top 10 movies, many of you mention the movie "Once Upon A Time In America". I honestly had never heard of this movie until you guys mentioned it and I looked it up... is it really that good?
Posted By: SC

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/13/06 05:52 PM

In a word, "yes".

Try to get the longer (uncensored) version. It runs almost four hours.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/13/06 06:01 PM

I consider it one of the ten greatest films of all time.

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/13/06 06:18 PM

I didnt mean to sound as if I doubted it was good.. just that I had never heard of it before I found this place. I will make it a point to check it out real soon...

What about The Brotherhood? IS that any good? I hadnt heard about it until I read about it recently in Lebo's The Godfather Legacy.
Posted By: SC

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/13/06 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Antoni Canoli:
What about The Brotherhood? IS that any good? I hadnt heard about it until I read about it recently in Lebo's The Godfather Legacy.
If you're talking about the Kirk Douglas movie, don't waste your time. Its a stinker.

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/13/06 06:38 PM

That is the one...I got the impression that it was a good movie.. now I know better than to waste my time on it. The Brotherhood that is...
Posted By: Tutti Frutti

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/13/06 11:44 PM

This is a "Must See" film for afficinados. I saw if before I saw the first 2 Godfathers. Seeing Robert de Niro in "Once upon a time in America", I thought that it was the Godfather.

Yes, try to get the long version.
Posted By: Don Andrew

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/14/06 04:37 AM

Watching Leone's 4 hour Director's Cut is an absolute must. It's a masterpiece.
Posted By: DonVitoCorleone

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/14/06 04:29 PM

I consider it better than the Godfather...it's definitely somewhere in my top 8.
Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/17/06 02:18 PM

Once Upon A Time In America ia an absolute must see masterpiece!
It really is that good.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/17/06 05:08 PM

I have this 2-disc special edition, which is the full 227-minute release, as opposed to the chopped versions we've seen before. If I recall, there is actually much more footage that has never been released making the movie even longer...but you'd have to as Don Vercetti, since I believe he is the resident OUATIA expert.

But for $20, you get almost four hours of brilliant cinema.

You may, however, want to wait until this movie can be re-released on HD/Blu-Ray since the break inbetween discs is somewhat annoying.
Posted By: Don Vercetti

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 04/17/06 08:32 PM

10 hours of footage was shot. It was originally gonna be a six hour feature divided into two parts, and then it was lowered further.

The version on DVD now is actually still somewhat cut from Leone's vision. There are a few scenes deleted from the cut that can't be added because they have no audio. This film is one of the ten best ever.

I have the two-disk DVD like Double J.
Posted By: stavka

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 06/15/06 04:08 PM

I liked Once Upon a Time....not as much as most here though. My biggest beef?

I wanted to beat Zamphir to death with his own Pan flute half-way through the movie....
Posted By: Wiseguy_1872

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 06/15/06 08:56 PM

Great performances from James Woods and De Niro. I thought it was incredible how well they played characters in the different time frames of 1920s/1930s and 1968.

So much of De Niros acting in this picture is done with his eyes.
Posted By: Double-J

Re: Once Upon A Time in America - 06/16/06 01:50 AM

Still one of my Top 10 favorite movies, along with the GF Trilogy and Scarface.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET