Home

Good Books on the Mafia

Posted By: Sermanni

Good Books on the Mafia - 07/31/05 01:56 PM

Anyone recommend some, both fiction and non fiction
Posted By: olivant

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 07/31/05 02:31 PM

You know, I've read a million books on the Mafia, but for the life of me I can barely remember any of their titles. Try The Pizza Connection, Honor Thy Father, Wiseguy, Made, My Life in the Mafia, War of the Godfathers. I think I've got those titles correct. I'm sure other Board members can come up with dozens.
Posted By: MaTTuP

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 07/31/05 09:46 PM

I'm a huge John Gotti fan, and have read many biographies on him & the history of the Gambino Family. I suggest, Mob Star by Jerry Capeci for a decent biography of Gotti, though it does drag on a little. Mafia Dynasty: The Rise & Fall of the Gambino Crime Family, excellent read, very imformative, written by John Davis who actually met Lucky Lucciano.
Also check out Underboss by Sammy the Bull Gravano, it was a very interesting read and very graphic.
I'm about to read Man of Honor an autobiography of Joseph Bonanno who ran the Bonanno family for years. This book raised a lot of contraversy when it came out in the 80s, Paul Castelano along with other mobsters read it.

From what I understand Henry Hill's biographia is a great read also.
Posted By: don capili

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 08/01/05 01:20 AM

i really wanna read A MAN OF HONOR by Joseph Bonanno but i cant seem to find it at any of the bookstores. looks really interesting!
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 08/01/05 01:25 AM

There have been many threads on good Mafia books. Just go down to "Organized Crime Real Life"--the first thread gives you complete reviews.
Posted By: MaTTuP

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 08/01/05 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by don capili:
i really wanna read A MAN OF HONOR by Joseph Bonanno but i cant seem to find it at any of the bookstores. looks really interesting!
I got my copy at this bookstore when I went on vacation at Myrtle Beach. They had a bookstore called, Bargain Books, I'm sure it's a chain. But they had it in the biography section listed with all other biography books.
Posted By: Ayrton Campos

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 08/01/05 03:06 PM

i was wondering, how's that Carlito's Way and After Hours by Edwin Torres? i'm thinking about getting it.
Posted By: Joe Batters

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 08/02/05 02:24 PM

The Outfit by Gus Russo is an excellent book about the history of Chicago's underworld and how it shaped America
Double-Cross, the biography of Sam Giancana is a great Chiacago Outfit book, it has some mind-blowing information
The Genuine Godfather- about Tony Accardo Chicagos Capo di tutti Capo for about 60 years
Valachi Papers- pretty good book about Stool Pigeon Valachi
Man of Honor-Joe Bonnano is good, has great info about Mafia before it came to America
MAfia Dynasty is excellent
Posted By: Enzo Scifo

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 08/03/05 05:39 PM

http://www.gangsterbb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000720
Posted By: Tony Love

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 08/04/05 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by olivant:
Try The Pizza Connection, Honor Thy Father, Wiseguy, Made, My Life in the Mafia, War of the Godfathers.
Wasn't "The Pizza Connection" a segment of that National Geographic special "Inside the Mafia"? I think I remember hearing it from there.
Posted By: don illuminati

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 08/04/05 06:23 AM

'Octupus' by Claire Sterling about the long reach of the Sicillian mafia. From the 80's, I think.

'Mob Nemisis' by an FBI agent (Don Griffin?) who worked against the mafia in several cities. The section about the Cleveland mafia removes all vestiges of the 'dignity' in being a Man of Respect in novel and film. It reveals an absolutely hellish way of life.

Excellent Cadavers is a good book.

'The Last Days of the Sicillians' is pretty good but maybe too detailed, about the investigation and evenual arrest of Sal Catalano, Casesar Bonventre, Baldo Amato and numerous other 'zips' affiliated with the Bonnano Family.
Posted By: Mr.Gribbs

Re: Good Books on the Mafia - 08/10/05 10:54 PM

Murder Machine
Fot the sins of my father
Carlo Gambino:King of the mafia
Blood and honour
The Westies
Joe Dogs
The Mafia encyclopedia
Born to steal

These are all excellent mob books.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET