Home

Italian-American slang

Posted By: Don Larzono

Italian-American slang - 01/23/02 06:46 PM

Hey everyone!
I have some language-problems.
In The Sopranos as well as the Godfather they use a word that sounds like "Ougats" and probably means "nothing". In the Sopranos they often also use a word for black people, that sounds like "Moolinyaads" or "Moolinyans". I've heard that "Moolie" (as they sometimes say) comes from the italian word for eggplant, witch is Melanzana.
I know that Italian-Americans have a very special italian nowadays, saying for example Finoch, instead of finocchio.
So can any of you Italian-Americans here explain the words Moolinyans and Ougats?
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/23/02 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Larzono:
...In The Sopranos as well as the Godfather they use a word that sounds like "Ougats" and probably means "nothing"...?

It's a profanity, somewhere along the lines of "getting f_ _ _ ed", and it does represent 'nothing'.

Apple

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/23/02 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:

It's a profanity, somewhere along the lines of "getting f_ _ _ ed", and it does represent 'nothing'.

Apple

OK, but is the word Ougats? If so, where does it come from, what Italian word?
Posted By: AppleOnYa

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/23/02 07:21 PM

No, it's not "ougats". However, I haven't the slightest idea of the correct Italian spelling.
A
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/23/02 07:46 PM

Stugots means balls. Mulignan is the spelling HBO provides...

For more, check out the Sopranos Mob Speak page, or the XXX Italian Dictionary

JG
Posted By: Don Noledge

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/23/02 08:55 PM

What is it Roberto says when he thrusts Vito's money back in his hand? That sounds like 'sugots' or whatever...

noledge
Posted By: corleone

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/24/02 02:37 AM

i thought it was mouligon, and was a term for an african american...

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/24/02 02:45 AM

on bronx tale movie, when the kids are talkin about the girls, mario says if she goes down on the old brajone, or something like that, i believe it means ur dick, excuse my language i dont know how to put it, but i was wondering what the proper word is, the way u spell it or if i am wrong? anyone know about this? i never heard it before..grazie
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/24/02 05:29 AM

"Ugaz" generally means "f--k you." Sometimes pronounced as "stugaz" (which is what Sr. Roberto, a Calabreze, told young Vito, and is the name of Tony Soprano's boat). Often followed by "a tan cul," meaning "up your a--." Often mispronounced as "ba fun gool." "Mulinian" means eggplant (also "melanzan" = eggplant), and is a derogatory term for African American.
Posted By: Don Corpuzzi

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/24/02 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Often followed by "a tan cul," meaning "up your a--." Often mispronounced as "ba fun gool."

As far as I know it's "vaffancul," meaning "go to your a**hole," or more simply put, "go f*ck yourself."

But I'm not Italian so what do I know?
Posted By: SC

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/24/02 07:47 PM

"Stugotts" (also the name of Tony Soprano's boat) is translated as "Testicles"; "Bafangool", as was pointed out previously, is "Vafanculo", which literally means that one is talking out of their ass, but has taken on a meaning as telling someone to go screw themselves; "Moolignan" (pronounced "mool-in-yan") is literally an "eggplant", and because of the color of that vegetable has been used as a slang and derogatory term for a black skinned person.
Posted By: SC

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/24/02 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by corleone:
on bronx tale movie, when the kids are talkin about the girls, mario says if she goes down on the old brajone

Brajole is a type of meat, and in this incident it was a term used to reference the male-member.
Posted By: J_Manzi

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/25/02 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by corleone:
on bronx tale movie, when the kids are talkin about the girls, mario says if she goes down on the old brajone, or something like that, i believe it means ur dick, excuse my language i dont know how to put it, but i was wondering what the proper word is, the way u spell it or if i am wrong? anyone know about this? i never heard it before..grazie

"Braciole" is an Italian beef. It doesn't mean "dick", but that's obviously what he was referring to, and he used the word as a sort of euphemism.

Ciao
Posted By: Don Marco

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/25/02 02:15 PM

Braciole is thinly cut, or even pounded flat flank steak, covered with spices and seasonings (sometimes raisins) and rolled like a pinwheel. Brown it a little in a frying pan and cook it in your sauce. It's terrific.
Posted By: J_Manzi

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/25/02 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Marco:
Braciole is thinly cut, or even pounded flat flank steak, covered with spices and seasonings (sometimes raisins) and rolled like a pinwheel. Brown it a little in a frying pan and cook it in your sauce. It's terrific.

You're makin' me hungry.

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/25/02 04:26 PM

OK- thanks! All of you!

I found where the expression Stugots/Oogats comes from: The Italian words Stu Cazzo and u'cazzu, both meaning testicals, used as an expression for "nothing".

I also found another word often used in The Sopranos, Oobatz, witch means "crazy", it comes from the Italian u'pazzu.

source: HBO

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Don Larzono ]

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Don Larzono ]

Re: Italian-American slang - 01/26/02 01:25 AM

pazzo=crazy
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET