Home

"The Brotherhood" (1968)

Posted By: Turnbull

"The Brotherhood" (1968) - 01/05/20 06:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUdusSwhMM8

In this film, Kirk Douglas plays an old-fashioned Don who partners with other gangsters in semi-legitimate businesses, but is constantly drawn back into "the old ways," including a vendetta for a decades-old betrayal. His younger brother (Alex Cord) gets out of the Army and wants to join the family business. He sides with the modern faction, which puts him into conflict with his brother, leading to a deadly climax.

This isn't a great film, but it's pretty good, and Douglas makes a convincing Sicilian Don. Interestingly, Paramount made it while they had options on "The Godfather" novel. "The Brotherhood" got critical acclaim, but flopped at the box office. That failure almost caused Paramount to abandon their option to make the GF novel into a movie, even after it topped the best-seller list for a year.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: "The Brotherhood" (1968) - 01/05/20 07:56 PM

Not a great film but well acted and entertaining. But I'm biased. I love Kirk Douglas.
Posted By: olivant

Re: "The Brotherhood" (1968) - 01/05/20 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Turnbull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUdusSwhMM8

In this film, Kirk Douglas plays an old-fashioned Don who partners with other gangsters in semi-legitimate businesses, but is constantly drawn back into "the old ways," including a vendetta for a decades-old betrayal. His younger brother (Alex Cord) gets out of the Army and wants to join the family business. He sides with the modern faction, which puts him into conflict with his brother, leading to a deadly climax.

This isn't a great film, but it's pretty good, and Douglas makes a convincing Sicilian Don. Interestingly, Paramount made it while they had options on "The Godfather" novel. "The Brotherhood" got critical acclaim, but flopped at the box office. That failure almost caused Paramount to abandon their option to make the GF novel into a movie, even after it topped the best-seller list for a year.

I really like The Brotherhood. I thought that the casting of Alex Cord as Frank's brother was not the best choice. But the film portrays the Mafia just as it should be portrayed: whether its Vince murdering his brother or Michael murdering Fredo, nothing is off the table.
Posted By: baldo

Re: "The Brotherhood" (1968) - 01/08/20 04:08 PM

Love this movie, watch it every time it's on TV. Love the bocce scenes.
Posted By: Balaclava777

Re: "The Brotherhood" (1968) - 01/09/20 04:09 AM

Anywhere to stream online? I’ve never seen or even heard of this?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET