Home

Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes

Posted By: LuanKuci

Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 09/24/19 06:58 PM

Will Smith to Portray American Crime Boss Nicky Barnes in Netflix Film ‘The Council’

https://www.thewrap.com/will-smith-netflix-film-the-council-nicky-barnes/

Barnes was the inspiration for Wesley Snipes’ Nino Brown in the 1991 film “New Jack City”

Trey Williams, September 24, 2019 @ 10:01 AM

Will Smith is trading in his family-friendly aura and big blockbuster stardom to portray American crime boss Nicky Barnes in a biopic for Netflix called “The Council.”

Peter Landesman (“Concussion,” “Parkland”) is writing the script for the film, which tells the untold story of a crime syndicate consisting of the seven black men who ruled Harlem in the 1970s and early ’80s.

This crime syndicate, as spelled out in the film’s logline, was made up of men who dreamed of a self-sufficient and self-policing African American city-state, funded by revolutionizing the drug game.

Also Read:
'Bad Boys for Life:' Will Smith and Martin Lawrence Ride or Die 'One Last Time' in First Trailer (Video)

“The Council” will center on the syndicate’s head, Nicky Barnes, who was dubbed by the New York Times as “Mr. Untouchable.” The film will focus on the Shakespearean court intrigue between Barnes and all the different members of the syndicate, as one unlikely rising protégé emerges.

Barnes served as the inspiration for Wesley Snipes’ character Nino Brown in the 1991 film “New Jack City.” Cuba Gooding Jr. portrayed Barnes in 2007’s “American Gangster,” which starred Denzel Washington as Barnes’ rival Frank Lucas.

Barnes’ death was recently made known in the New York Times.

During his reign in the ’70s Barnes led an international drug trafficking ring, in partnership with the Italian-American mafia, until his arrest in 1978. He was sentenced to life imprisonment, eventually becoming a federal informant.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 09/27/19 01:20 PM

Will Smith as Nicky Barnes? I just don't see it...
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 09/27/19 04:32 PM

yeah i don't see it either. will smith doesn't have much range IMO i feel like it's gonna be hard to see him as a ruthless guy.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 09/27/19 06:11 PM

Terrible casting. And I thought Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ Simpson was a stretch...
Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 09/30/19 10:09 AM

Cuba Gooding Jr, played Nicky Barnes in American Gangster and did a great job I felt. Will Smith, is a hard one, but there is always a chance he does a good and suprising job.
Posted By: Irishman12

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 09/30/19 08:49 PM

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see it. Am I thrilled with the announcement? No, but I like Will Smith so I'm withholding judgement for now.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 09/30/19 09:24 PM

The thing is Will Smith often casts his children in his movies because of nepotism. So there's a real chance we will see his useless gender-fluid son, Jaden, cast as some drug lord in this.
Posted By: FrankMazola

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 10/01/19 04:03 PM

What was Nicky Barnes' connection to LCN in real life? Were there any documented affiliations or pay-ups?
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 10/11/19 01:38 PM

The positivity on this board just overwhelms me and times.
Posted By: satch7

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 11/25/19 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Terrible casting. And I thought Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ Simpson was a stretch...

I agree about casting Cuba as oj,I still laugh about that mess
Posted By: Goldy

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 11/27/19 10:57 PM

So if Will Smith is playing him he'll be some misunderstood not so bad of a guy and not drug lord selling poison I take it?
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Will Smith to Portray Boss Nicky Barnes - 12/15/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Michael_Giovanni
The positivity on this board just overwhelms me and times.

Tell us how good of a gangster Will Smith plays and we'll tell you we like it. Even Cuba Gooding Jr. was a stretch with Nicky Barnes in American Gangster and he plays a better bad guy than Will Smith does.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET