Bad dialog
Bad caricatures of gangsters
Bad music
Ok acting
Now it seems it coulda been an After School Special
Anybody disagree????
Posted By: mustachepete

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 04/12/18 01:32 AM

I like it. After Michael in the original Godfather, I think Brasco does the best job in a gangster movie of presenting a central character who's genuinely conflicted. It makes for a good story.
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 04/17/18 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by mustachepete
I like it. After Michael in the original Godfather, I think Brasco does the best job in a gangster movie of presenting a central character who's genuinely conflicted. It makes for a good story.

Ill 2nd that.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/10/18 05:22 PM

Loved it!
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/10/18 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend
Recently watched it again
Bad dialog
Bad caricatures of gangsters
Bad music
Ok acting
Now it seems it coulda been an After School Special
Anybody disagree????

you make some fair points. I think pacino and depp were really good. I felt the others were not close. Overall i still like the movie
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/10/18 11:56 PM

Very good casting.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/11/18 02:50 AM

I thought it was a pretty good movie, but way below the book. Completely ignored the Milwaukee stuff and Tony Mirra (a very scary guy). Martin Scorsese would have made it a better movie.
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/11/18 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Turnbull
I thought it was a pretty good movie, but way below the book. Completely ignored the Milwaukee stuff and Tony Mirra (a very scary guy). Martin Scorsese would have made it a better movie.

agreed. Obviously they cant cram all that info in the movie but i would of loved the frank balstieri and mirra stuff portrayed
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/19/18 02:18 AM

Could you imagine Tony Mirra trying to claim ownership of you.

I would either take off or Kill him.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/23/18 07:35 PM

Good movie..
Posted By: Michael_Giovanni

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/23/18 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by DuesPaid

Lol great point Dues. Never quite thought of it that way before.

One thing I have thought about before is how in the world could they have left his character out of that movie. It would have been 10 times better and more dramatic with Mirra in it.
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/25/18 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Michael_Giovanni

One thing I have thought about before is how in the world could they have left his character out of that movie. It would have been 10 times better and more dramatic with Mirra in it.

Agree w/ both of u , my friends...Mirra was A SCARY Motherfucker,,& when my wife & I went 2 see & hear Joe Pistone @ the Free Library of Phila.(main branch) promote his book of wiseguy sayings ,( I have it somewhere autographed by him , & while signing the book,,I asked him (jokingly) if my wife's engagement ring was a "fugazi")..he said on stage that Tony Mirra was the scariest Mafioso he ever encountered..that would have upped the film much more , but...I could watch that flick @ least 3 times a yr. & still get some satisfaction.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/25/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by hoodlum
Originally Posted by Michael_Giovanni

Agree w/ both of u , my friends...Mirra was A SCARY Motherfucker,,& when my wife & I went 2 see & hear Joe Pistone @ the Free Library of Phila.(main branch) promote his book of wiseguy sayings ,( I have it somewhere autographed by him , & while signing the book,,I asked him (jokingly) if my wife's engagement ring was a "fugazi")..he said on stage that Tony Mirra was the scariest Mafioso he ever encountered..that would have upped the film much more , but...I could watch that flick @ least 3 times a yr. & still get some satisfaction.

I get bored and watch it 2-3 times a month lol
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/25/18 07:31 PM

I usually hate Johnny Depp but he was good in this.

Some really intense scenes in the movie that are memorable, too, like the Japanese restaurant scene.

I think some of the casting outside Depp/Pacino/Giamatti could've been a little better though.

Didn't buy Madsen's character at all.
Posted By: Hollander

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/25/18 10:02 PM

Good movie!

Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 06/26/18 10:43 PM

They probably combined the creepier traits of Mirra and others into Lefty's character.

Most of the scenes in Goodfellas where Tommy and Henry are hanging out are really based on Henry and Paul Vario's sons. Henry Hill was afraid of Tommy DeSimone and rarely hung out with him socially. They only went on jobs together. Either Pileggi or Scorsese decided to combine the Vario kids and DeSimone into one character because it would play better for the screen. These movies are only "based on" actual events, not meant to be accurate documentaries.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Donnie Brasco Years later? - 02/04/19 07:43 PM

Saw again where Brasco's authenticity as a jewel thief was questioned by a couple of Bonanno's people. There was no explanation why they did.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET