Home

The Deuce

Posted By: furio_from_naples

The Deuce - 08/09/17 04:32 PM

I can't find infos on Martino tween real story anyone had infos (if they're alive ecc) ?
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: The Deuce - 08/10/17 03:51 AM

Have you seen it early or something?

Unless the episodes leaked I think it's too early to tell, we gotta see the show first.
Posted By: leftygun62

Re: The Deuce - 09/27/17 01:40 AM

Think they're loosely based on a real guy.

Credits show two episodes with Gigante and Matty Ianeillo as characters so it should get pretty interesting
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Deuce - 09/28/17 02:53 AM

Great show. I love it so far. It brings '70s Manhattan to life like a hardcore episode of "Kojak." In episode three, there's a clear nod to "Mean Streets" when James Franco walks into the bar wearing a pie hat with a woman on each arm. Highly recommended.
Posted By: merlino

Re: The Deuce - 09/28/17 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Great show. I love it so far. It brings '70s Manhattan to life like a hardcore episode of "Kojak." In episode three, there's a clear nod to "Mean Streets" when James Franco walks into the bar wearing a pie hat with a woman on each arm. Highly recommended.

love the show too that must have been a crazy time period out there in NYC during that time
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: The Deuce - 09/28/17 06:12 PM

Just started it a few weeks back. Same people who make the wire. I love it, they did a great job capturing the era.
Posted By: Raven

Re: The Deuce - 09/28/17 11:46 PM

There was a Gambino member named Rudy Pipolo. I don't know if the character on the show is really based on him or not though, or they just used his name.
Posted By: Ciment

Re: The Deuce - 09/29/17 01:28 PM

Great show, I am also enjoying it thus far.

Re: The Deuce - 09/29/17 04:36 PM

I dont think it is so great. Not terrible, but kind of boring so far and I think Maggie Gyllenhaal looks like a catchers mitt. Not very attractive at all.
Posted By: BillyBrizzi

Re: The Deuce - 09/29/17 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Raven
I dont think it is so great. Not terrible, but kind of boring so far and I think Maggie Gyllenhaal looks like a catchers mitt. Not very attractive at all.

Poor Maggie, she always reminds me of a Cabbage Patch Doll..
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: The Deuce - 09/30/17 06:45 AM

Maggie is hideous. But I saw much worse on the real 42nd Street back then lol.

Re: The Deuce - 09/30/17 11:25 AM

Lol. I guess it makes it realistic then.
Posted By: Malandrino

Re: The Deuce - 09/30/17 09:32 PM

Love the show. I've always been interested in learning about the 70s in NYC. I guess the show is a bit slow paced but far from boring. Can't wait for the next ep. HBO is the shit.

Re: The Deuce - 10/01/17 12:07 AM

I do think it is better than HBO's other 70's NYC show Vinyl with Cannavale.
Posted By: funkster

Re: The Deuce - 10/17/17 02:20 AM

I think it's fantastic, and they have now introduced Matty the Horse..though he'd never drop the Genovese name in the middle of a courthouse.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Deuce - 10/30/17 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Maggie is hideous. But I saw much worse on the real 42nd Street back then lol.

"The Deuce" is really ugly--makes you feel dirty watching it (if only for all the cigarettes being smoked). But, I watch it because the stories are absorbing. It also accurately evokes NYC at its nadir in the early 70's. As PB said, the real 42d Street was even worse than what's depicted in "The Deuce." What an awful period!

Re: The Deuce - 10/04/18 06:28 PM

I guess nobody is watching the new season? I just caught the first two episodes yesterday. They moved all the way from '72 to '77 so it took a little to make sure I caught everything but it's looking like a great season.. Love this show.
Posted By: CNote

Re: The Deuce - 11/12/18 07:04 PM

No sight or mention of Mickey Spillane, Jimmy Coonan, The Westies, Roy DeMeo, the Genovese family and the Javitz Center. All prominent players in the neighborhood during the time depicted in the show, yet no mention.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: The Deuce - 11/12/18 10:03 PM

Because those well known names would probably distract from the storyline. Start mentioning the DeMeo crew and the Westies and the audience might expect a bloodbath. Keeping with the concept of the show, the adult entertainment industry in the 70s, it's probably better to emphasize the mob's role as business people in this story, and minimize their dialogue. Honestly, I think having any mob characters above Michael Rispoli's character is kind of overdoing it. Reeks of wannabe Sopranos stuff. Should have just done it like Mean Streets, especially since it takes place in that same era. Have one important mob guy, maybe a couple of his goons, and that's all anyone needs to know.
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: The Deuce - 11/13/18 03:26 AM

Season 2 was even better than season 1. Since they'd introduced all the characters, the episodes were freer to focus on rounding out the characters. Still mostly a bunch of low-lifes, but many of them had redeeming characteristics that made each episode interesting. Looking forward to next season.
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: The Deuce - 11/14/18 01:00 AM

You guys are making want to watch this after reading your posts.

I am watching already more shows than I can handle, may dump a few and put this in the schedule.
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: The Deuce - 11/14/18 02:08 PM

What is this show and when does it come on?
Posted By: Hollander

Re: The Deuce - 11/14/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by dixiemafia

It´s a HBO show created by David Simon (The Wire).

Re: The Deuce - 11/14/18 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by CNote
No sight or mention of Mickey Spillane, Jimmy Coonan, The Westies, Roy DeMeo, the Genovese family and the Javitz Center. All prominent players in the neighborhood during the time depicted in the show, yet no mention.

Matty the Horse is in both seasons and this season they also had a quick scene with The Chin. In one of the episodes they specifically mention the Genovese family because Matty the Horse really had control of a lot of the XXX stores of the time, it fits with the story. The Deuce is not a mob show per se so all that other shit would be shoehorning and distracting from the story they want to tell.

Re: The Deuce - 11/14/18 07:10 PM

The Deuce is about the sex industry of Times Square in the 1970's and all the players around it. Pimps, prostitutes, cops, bar owners, mobsters, etc. Season 2 just wrapped up so you should be able to find it all online.

@Turnbull I also liked season 2 more. Looking forward to season 3 and I'm guessing it will be set in the early 80's.
Posted By: hoodlum

Re: The Deuce - 11/15/18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by RollinBones

The Deuce is about the sex industry of Times Square in the 1970's and all the players around it. Pimps, prostitutes, cops, bar owners, mobsters, etc. Season 2 just wrapped up so you should be able to find it all online.

@Turnbull I also liked season 2 more. Looking forward to season 3 and I'm guessing it will be set in the early 80's.

How can I see it online??..I don't have HBO & am not gonna pay$. 3.00 an episode. any clues?

Re: The Deuce - 02/08/19 11:25 AM

Great series with a classic soundtrack.

Re: The Deuce - 02/08/19 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by RollinBones
Originally Posted by CNote

Matty the Horse is in both seasons and this season they also had a quick scene with The Chin. In one of the episodes they specifically mention the Genovese family because Matty the Horse really had control of a lot of the XXX stores of the time, it fits with the story. The Deuce is not a mob show per se so all that other shit would be shoehorning and distracting from the story they want to tell.

Season one has a scene with Mickey Spillane.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: The Deuce - 05/08/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaboy

LOL. I'm halfway into the first season. I'm watching it with my brother and we both noticed that.

It's alright. It's kind of slow-paced for my liking. I'm not sure if it's necessary for James Franco to portray two characters either. One of him is irritating enough.
Posted By: Terence

Re: The Deuce - 05/10/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden

LOL. I'm halfway into the first season. I'm watching it with my brother and we both noticed that.

It's alright. It's kind of slow-paced for my liking. I'm not sure if it's necessary for James Franco to portray two characters either. One of him is irritating enough.

I felt the same way at first, Moe. Give it a little more time. The other characters get fleshed out a bit more in seasons 2 & 3 (with a little less Franco). Plus the soundtracks are fucking phenomenal.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: The Deuce - 05/10/20 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Terence
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden

I felt the same way at first, Moe. Give it a little more time. The other characters get fleshed out a bit more in seasons 2 & 3 (with a little less Franco). Plus the soundtracks are fucking phenomenal.

Just finished the first season. Last couple of episodes very good. I agree re: the soundtrack. The set and costume design and gratuitous nudity are all plus points as well. There's definitely the potential for me to enjoy it more in season 2 and 3 as you say.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET