Home

Making of the Mob - Chicago

Posted By: Bozak

Making of the Mob - Chicago - 07/27/16 09:48 PM

Anybody watching this one? I've only caught the first episode. Thoughts?
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 07/28/16 07:28 AM

I tried to watch the first season, which was about Lucky and the commission's formation. I just can't deal with the reenactments. I'll try to catch up on season 2, the Chicago Outfit, to see if they go a little less heavy with the cringe worthy reenactments. The AHC documentaries do this too. I've noticed they're also changing the names of them to trick people into watching them again. Nobody does the mafia documentaries like Bill Curtis and A&E did in the '90s.
Posted By: blueracing347

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 07/28/16 10:55 AM

So far, so good. The AMC episodes arent bad. I enjoy the whole miniseries spin they put on their shows. Last year's series had Gambino delivering a eulogy at Lucky's wake. I thought they added that bit. Yesterday I was reading an article about Gambino, and it said the same thing. Anyone know if it's true? AHC's episodes suck. They changed the names but still use the same material. Have to agree with you A's Fan about Bill Curtis and A&E.
Posted By: BillyBrizzi

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 07/28/16 12:14 PM

Just saw episode 1 and I think the actors are a lot better than the ones in the NY season. The guys who play Torrio and Capone are very convincing.

The reenactment scenes in the NY season were certainly cringe worthy sometimes, I have to agree with Oaks on that one..
Posted By: Mignon

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 08/02/16 11:25 PM

I enjoy watching it. When Capone was hitting those men with the baseball bat OMG!!
Posted By: olivant

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 08/03/16 12:53 AM

One thing that the series brings out is the utter inhumanity of those people. That contrasts with the GF characters who seemed almost heroic.
Posted By: Paul Pisano

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 08/12/16 12:37 AM

the guy who plays capone reminds me of james gandolfini. i never knew that capone did drugs.

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 08/12/16 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Pisano
the guy who plays capone reminds me of james gandolfini. i never knew that capone did drugs.

Did you never watch Boardwalk Empire?

Stephen Graham who plays Al in it, does mountains of the nose candy in it.

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 08/12/16 08:17 PM

Is there any authenticity to Capone being portrayed as a cokehead? I became interested in the mob at a young age after watching the tv show The Untouchables. I've seen all the documentaries since the early 90's through now. The first time I heard of Capone doing blow was in B.E. Now in M.O.M., they make him look like the Italian Al Pacino Scarface with all of the nose candy. Also, can anyone recommend a good Capone book for the years after Alcatraz? If there is one.
Posted By: Paul Pisano

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 09/02/16 05:14 AM

it was ironic how joe kennedy went to the mob to get jack elected and the mob thought bobby would back off. bobby becoming attorney general was a true nightmare.
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 09/19/16 12:44 PM

One thing I dont appreciate with this doc, as I'm now watching it on Youtube, is the fact that they completely skip over and make no mention of the fact that Capone initially wasn't a made guy and throughout his entire early period in Chicago , he was essentially on the outs with the real American Cosa Nostra that existed in Chicago at the time. Makes no mention, at least I dont think it does of guys like Salvatore LoVerde whom was the boss of the original Chicago Mafia. And that guys like Tony Aiello was a Mafia boss in his own right, in the true sense, whereas Capone wasnt even respected by the made members back in NY, and pretty much owes his making to Joe Masseria.

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 09/19/16 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
One thing I dont appreciate with this doc, as I'm now watching it on Youtube, is the fact that they completely skip over and make no mention of the fact that Capone initially wasn't a made guy and throughout his entire early period in Chicago , he was essentially on the outs with the real American Cosa Nostra that existed in Chicago at the time. Makes no mention, at least I dont think it does of guys like Salvatore LoVerde whom was the boss of the original Chicago Mafia. And that guys like Tony Aiello was a Mafia boss in his own right, in the true sense, whereas Capone wasnt even respected by the made members back in NY, and pretty much owes his making to Joe Masseria.

I agree 100% SC, for us purists these omissions are really annoying but the producers must've thought that it would've have taken too much time to explain the whole ins and outs of Cosa Nostra politics and that it would've been a little too convoluted for the average Joe, who aren't mob aficionados like us over here grin
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 10/24/16 04:56 AM

Hi the show is good ? Is it worth watching ?

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 10/24/16 05:31 AM

I enjoyed it. If you liked New York, you'll like Chicago. No new info, same old stuff. Except for Capone's coke habbit which was introduced to me in Boardwalk Empire. Wtf?
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 10/24/16 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: blueracing347
I enjoyed it. If you liked New York, you'll like Chicago. No new info, same old stuff. Except for Capone's coke habbit which was introduced to me in Boardwalk Empire. Wtf?

Thank you ! Its hard to watch tv shows since the sopranos cuz it was so good, and nothing compare to it.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Making of the Mob - Chicago - 12/29/16 03:17 AM

I watched it again last night; Capone on trial. One inaccuracy that always bugged me (in any Capone trial movie) was Judge Wilkerson switching juries. If that happened, it would have been one heck of a due process violation and certainly would result in Capone winning on appeal. However, when Judge Wilkerson heard that Capone was attempting jury tampering, he switched the jury pools prior to voir dire; he didn't switch juries.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET