Home

Black Mass Out

Posted By: merlino

Black Mass Out - 09/18/15 11:12 AM

My brother lives out in Hollywood and he saw it last night said it was awesome he is not a big "mafia" person but loved the movie....he used to hang out at a bar in Santa Monica that Bulger would go to all the time and he said he would always have his white cap with him and was kind of a regular there
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/18/15 12:54 PM

My brother is very picky about what movies he watches and he said he was gonna go see this.
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/18/15 01:22 PM

Are they going to use a doubles hands if depp punches someone. smile
Posted By: RollinBones

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/18/15 02:05 PM

Caught it last night. It was a good movie and they only got a few things wrong, but they left out soooo much. The movie also could have been more cohesive.
Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/18/15 10:49 PM

Thought it was great. I don't understand all of the hate from the critics even though it's gotten mostly positive reviews. I don't see it as a "cliche" mob movie at all. Definitely the best movie of the year so far and the only movie that I think can be better is the revenant. Maybe Sicario as well. Depp will get nominated and in my opinion deserves to win. Granted I still have to see DiCaprio and Fassbender but idk if they'll really be able to top Depp. But we'll wait and see. I don't think Edgerton was as great as everyone said that he was but he was still very good. Idk sometimes I couldn't understand him because of his accent. Maybe I have to watch it again to appreciate his performance more. After all it was only the first time I saw it.
Posted By: merlino

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/19/15 06:50 AM

He used to hang out wide in the open for 5 years in santa monica and through conversation would bring up south boston and other things and im told believe the people he was drinking with never knew him...but this is joint he frequented a bunch out there

http://www.sonnymcleans.com/
Posted By: thedudeabides87

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/19/15 05:58 PM

Good movie Depp was really good so was Benedict Cumberbatch
Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/20/15 12:32 AM

Idk why it's gotten so much hate though. I expected more than just a 76% on rotten tomatoes. I thought the story was engaging, directing was great and obviously the acting was great. Felt a little long at times but that's it. I think people's big problem was the fact that it jumped so far ahead in time. A scene would end and then they would jump about 5 years or so. I had no problem with it personally because after all they are telling a true story. Years from now I think people will look back on this as one of the best mob movies of all time. It's not as good as the movie it is compared to so often which is "the departed" but I don't think they're very comparable in terms of story in the first place. It's a cut below the departed but still a great movie. Depp will most likely end up deserving the Oscar but I doubt they'll give it to him because the critics have somewhat knocked it out of the best picture category(even though it definitely deserves to be nominated and unless "the revenant", "hateful eight", "sicario" or the steve jobs movie tops it, it deserves to win).
Posted By: dixiemafia

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/21/15 09:31 PM

Yes they left out a lot IMHO and like you said Revis they jumped around a lot. Also the Kevin Weeks character was horrible, as was Stevie Flemmi's character. They made it seem like Whitey spent more time jumping their ass than he did working with them. They also are still on the boat that Whitey killed Debra Hussey (Flemmi's step daughter he was banging) which I don't believe either. I think Flemmi killed her and will always be on that thought.

But like everyone else has said I thought Depp knocked Whitey out of the park and he played it great. Well lets not forget that supposedly Matt Damon and Wahlberg are still working on a Whitey movie too so hopefully it will be better than this one. Revis I too think The Departed is better as a mob movie but of course not in terms of truth as The Departed was loosely based on the story and this was supposed to be THE true story.

I will still buy the move because I like Whitey's twisted story but I'll never recommend it to others as a true story because if Whitey ran around jumping Martorano, Flemmi and Weeks asses chances are he would have wound up dead. The movie acted like they were all scared of Whitey when the fact was Flemmi was pretty much his equal and Weeks was Whitey's protege.

Revis did they show the previews to Sicario and that movie about the Kray Twins before the movie started for you too? Sicario looks like it could be a damn good movie and I really need to read up more about the Kray Twins to know if I'm watching it. I think I read on here they were connected to the Philly family or something so there should be some info on it here somewhere.
Posted By: thedudeabides87

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/22/15 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
Yes they left out a lot IMHO and like you said Revis they jumped around a lot. Also the Kevin Weeks character was horrible, as was Stevie Flemmi's character. They made it seem like Whitey spent more time jumping their ass than he did working with them. They also are still on the boat that Whitey killed Debra Hussey (Flemmi's step daughter he was banging) which I don't believe either. I think Flemmi killed her and will always be on that thought.

But like everyone else has said I thought Depp knocked Whitey out of the park and he played it great. Well lets not forget that supposedly Matt Damon and Wahlberg are still working on a Whitey movie too so hopefully it will be better than this one. Revis I too think The Departed is better as a mob movie but of course not in terms of truth as The Departed was loosely based on the story and this was supposed to be THE true story.

I will still buy the move because I like Whitey's twisted story but I'll never recommend it to others as a true story because if Whitey ran around jumping Martorano, Flemmi and Weeks asses chances are he would have wound up dead. The movie acted like they were all scared of Whitey when the fact was Flemmi was pretty much his equal and Weeks was Whitey's protege.

Revis did they show the previews to Sicario and that movie about the Kray Twins before the movie started for you too? Sicario looks like it could be a damn good movie and I really need to read up more about the Kray Twins to know if I'm watching it. I think I read on here they were connected to the Philly family or something so there should be some info on it here somewhere.

Thought that was a little strange also

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/22/15 07:17 PM

Good to know I'm not the only one then.

I just couldn't see Whitey treating them like that for so long and still staying alive in the process. Flemmi and Martorano were stone cold killers too and Weeks was becoming a big power until it came out that Whitey was in bed with the Feds.

I'm sure there are more parts the New England guys can pick out over me or that I missed me as well. But I'll still buy the Blu-Ray though.
Posted By: BostonGuy17

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/24/15 04:23 PM

Thought it was a great movie and a lot of it was true to the book. Depp's performance was excellent, but I agree that he probably wasn't as intimidating towards his own crew like that. Kevin Weeks got interviewed after he saw the movie and said that Whitey would never have sworn at them or treated them so poorly.
As a movie, I still think Depp and Edgerton (Connolly) played excellent roles.

Re: Black Mass Out - 09/24/15 07:55 PM

Would agree with all you said BostonGuy.
Posted By: afriendofours

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/05/15 02:23 PM

Thought it was a great movie.

"Take your shot but make it your best. 'Cause I get up, I eat ya."

Took some screenshots and made a gallery also - Black Mass(2015) Screenshots Image Gallery - Johnny Depp, Benedict Cumberbatch, Joel Edgerton

Posted By: DonMega1888

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/05/15 10:45 PM

Link to watch online -

http://www.primewire.ag/watch-2171839-Black-Mass

Good DVD quality

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/06/15 06:06 PM

Oh you were just sayin'?

Just sayin' gets people sent to Allenwood. Just sayin' got me a nine year stretch in Levinworth and Alcatraz, do you understand? So... just sayin' can get you buried real fuckin' quick.

Look at his fuckin' face! Hey! I'm just fuckin' with you. It's a fuckin' recipe! Couldn't give a shit! Tastes great, I'm fuckin' with you.

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/07/15 03:58 PM

"Good aftenoon Officer Flynn. What happened I musta been doin' 30 in a 25, you gonna lock me up for life or sumthin'?"

"You threatening me Bulger?"

"The last thing I would do if I was planning to harm you is to warn you in advance ya dumb fuck."

Great scene.
Posted By: BillyBrizzi

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/08/15 08:05 PM

I'm going to see it this monday over here in Holland..
I'm looking forward to it, I'll post a small review in this thread..
Posted By: Wilson101

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/08/15 10:33 PM

This movie was fucking horrible. As someone who followed bigger since before he was on the run.... I mean so bad. Was it a joke? I guess the guy who played martarano was ok. Flemmi? Lol are u kidding? Jesse plemons is Kevin weeks? John Connolly is the focal point of the movie? Lol so bad. I knew when they made the.script off black mass and not brutal it was gonna suck but I still kept hope alive. Disappointment is an understatement
Posted By: Wilson101

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/08/15 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: BostonGuy17
"Good aftenoon Officer Flynn. What happened I musta been doin' 30 in a 25, you gonna lock me up for life or sumthin'?"

"You threatening me Bulger?"

"The last thing I would do if I was planning to harm you is to warn you in advance ya dumb fuck."

Great scene.
possibly the only good scene in the movie. The guy who played Tommy king was the only decent actor besides depp and bacon who was barely used. Such a terrible movie what a disappointment
Posted By: DuesPaid

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/26/15 03:24 AM

Good movie.

Watched it after watching a few games.

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/26/15 11:58 AM

How was public enemies?

I could not get myself to watch Johnny depp in any crime movie after seeing Donnie Brasco.
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/26/15 02:55 PM

I'm far from Depp's biggest fan but I thought he did a good job in Donnie Brasco.
Posted By: fortunato

Re: Black Mass Out - 10/26/15 03:09 PM

Saw it this past weekend and thought it to be pretty good definitely better than Donnie brasco

Re: Black Mass Out - 02/20/16 01:10 AM

Just bought it from Amazon is it really good. It's not holding my attention the door bouncer is the actor from breaking bad.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Black Mass Out - 02/21/16 08:40 PM

Just saw it on Demand. Defintely Depp had a better performance as Bulger than his role as Donnie Brasco, which was a movie that I really liked. Depp surprised me as to how good of an actor he really is. Good movie.

Re: Black Mass Out - 02/21/16 09:26 PM

I have been trying to watch it for 2 days now.

Re: Black Mass Out - 02/22/16 01:07 AM

Don't think its a better movie than Donnie Brasco personally, but was a decent watch and Depp is good as always.

Re: Black Mass Out - 02/22/16 07:14 PM

It's worth a watch for the acting. Like I said before, it's true to the book by O'Neill and Lehr, and Depp as Bulger and Edgerton as Connolly were stellar. The writing and editing could have been better. Thought there was very little character development. It did not flow well and felt more like a series of different scenes. Still, worth a watch and entertaining. Couldn't help but enjoy the GoodFellas tributes that were quite obvious throughout.
Posted By: alicecooper

Re: Black Mass Out - 02/24/16 10:07 PM

pretty bad, unfortunately. I wanted to like it so bad...

Re: Black Mass Out - 02/24/16 10:16 PM

Had the movie for a week I can't bring myself to watch the whole movie in its entirety.

Re: Black Mass Out - 02/25/16 10:11 AM

Tried to watch it again last night I make it till they help the old lady with her groceries.

Re: Black Mass Out - 02/27/16 08:33 PM

Although Whitey's story has always been very interesting, especially me being from Boston, I wasn't digging this movie like I thought I would. The story is better suited for a serial drama like Narcos. My favorite part about the whole movie was how it had the older Boston aesthetic.
Posted By: DBCooper

Re: Black Mass Out - 03/07/16 11:24 AM

are there any guys from the Patriarca crime family in the movie?

Re: Black Mass Out - 03/19/16 06:19 PM

You see Gerry Angiulo for a whole 3 seconds with no dialogue.. That's about it.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Black Mass Out - 07/20/16 05:46 PM

Finally watched this on HBO.

Joel Edgerton steals the show as disgraced FBI agent John Connolly. He chews up the screen in every scene he's in, even outshines Depp's Bulger. I wonder if the movie's better if the story surrounds him instead of Bulger. Then, of course, Depp would have demanded that he play Connolly, and then it wouldn't have been as good. Edgerton saves this one.

I thought the supporting cast was very convincing, from a layman's perspective, considering I've never been to Boston.

The music was good. The Rolling Stones' "Slave" was a nice touch that I think captures that era pretty well. Depp is not a great actor anymore, and an even shittier person, but he's trying to redeem himself by keeping good music and good cinema on life support.

I don't think this was good as The Departed but it was still worth the 2 hours.

Re: Black Mass Out - 07/21/16 06:17 PM

Yea I would much rather watch The Departed any day over Black Mass. I still think Flemmi killed Debra Hussey (sp?) even though they make it seem Whitey did it. They also made Flemmi look like a scared little puppy dog when Whitey was around and I'm not sure I quite buy that one. I still don't like who they casted for Weeks, but Martorano and Connolly was well cast.
Posted By: OakAsFan

Re: Black Mass Out - 07/22/16 05:13 AM

Depp's Whitey Bulger is Kevin Costner's Wyatt Earp. I don't care if Costner's take is more accurate, it's Kurt Russell's Earp you pay to see, likewise Jack Nicholson's Bulger.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET