Home

Rob the Mob

Posted By: NE1020

Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 08:52 AM

Recently watched this, I thought it was pretty good. What do you guys think?
Posted By: Footreads

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 09:10 AM

Watch what?
Posted By: Camarel

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Footreads
Watch what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_the_Mob

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 09:15 AM

Rob the Movie, the new movie about Tommy and Rosie Uva who robbed a number of Gambino and Bonanno social clubs in the 90s.

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 10:56 AM

I just bought it on amazon instant video. It looks real good I like it so far. I would have loved to invest in it.
Posted By: Detroit

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 02:54 PM

I liked it, don't get me wrong, but Ray Romano kinda ruined the movie. However, it was good to see Michael Rispoli
(Jackie Aprile SR from the Sopranos) in the film.
Posted By: Benedetto

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 03:09 PM

Really looking forward to catching this one. Seems to be getting decent reviews though I rarely go by those anyway.
Posted By: pizzaboy

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Detroit
I liked it, don't get me wrong, but Ray Romano kinda ruined the movie. However, it was good to see Michael Rispoli

I love Ray Romano. As a comedian and comic actor. But what is it with these guys that they feel they have to prove themselves as dramatic actors? The 200 million he made off his show isn't enough? rolleyes

Re the Uvas: Those two deserved exactly what they got. Shame on the filmmakers for making them look like a couple of fun loving kids who got in over their heads.

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 03:43 PM

Completely agree on the Uvas, they made them out to look way to sweet and romantic in the movie. I thought Andy Garcia's character was pretty good in it too, but again they made him look to noble and nice, not to mention the beard.

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 03:51 PM

Is that how they are portrayed in this movie PB? lol In that case I maybe more annoyed by the movie than entertained. They knew full well what they were doing and the consequence of what could, probably would and did come with their actions. What do you guys think would happen to these two if they pulled this stunt in the present time. I understand it might be a hard question to answer considering that card games at the social clubs and social clubs in general aren't operating the way they were then or even exist in the numbers they did.

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Benedetto
Is that how they are portrayed in this movie PB? lol In that case I maybe more annoyed by the movie then entertained. They new full well what they were doing and the consequence of would could, probably would and did come with their actions. What do you guys think would happen to these two if they pulled this stunt in the present time. I understand it might be a hard question to answer considering that card games at the social clubs and social clubs in general aren't operating the way they were then or even exist in the numbers they did.

In all fairness, I haven't seen it. But that's what the trailer implies. Ray Romano as a New York reporter saying shit like "we have to help these kids get out of the country." rolleyes

Fucking shameful.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 03:58 PM

Think i need to check this one out..

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Benedetto
What do you guys think would happen to these two if they pulled this stunt in the present time. I understand it might be a hard question to answer considering that card games at the social clubs and social clubs in general aren't operating the way they were then or even exist in the numbers they did.

Well, even back then guys got away with ripping off card games more than once. I hate to use fictional media as an example, but "The Sopranos" had it right with the story line about Tony and Jackie ripping off Feech's card game when they were kids.

I clearly remember the punk sons of a local wiseguy ripping off a connected game in Morris Park and getting away with it after a sitdown or two. But in other cases, I'm sure there's more than one person pushing up daisies for similar actions.

Like it or not, the punishment would depend on who you are and who you're with. And the Uvas were fucking nobodies who got high and watched "Bonnie and Clyde" one too many times.

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 04:38 PM

Just finished it while Nigeria is playing Iran. I hope they both lose.

Good movie it had a happy ending smile

You known what really stood out in my mind. They lived right near an elevated subway train.

When you live in a place like that you stop hearing the train after a while. Let's say your watching TV and the train passes all you notice is the sound gets lower on the Tv until the train passes. smile
Posted By: Dandi

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/16/14 11:14 PM

Enjoyed it. Strangely 'feelgood' somehow.
Posted By: lefty_two_guns

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/17/14 09:01 AM

The beard thats what i thought, against the rules no..

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/17/14 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: lefty_two_guns

Urban legend. If it was ever truly a rule, it was only enforced selectively.

Posted By: Wudstock

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/17/14 06:31 PM

Is that movie on Netflix?

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/17/14 09:54 PM

No it isn't but if you have amazon instant video it's not on prime, but you had buy instantly for 12 dollars

Re: Rob the Mob - 06/18/14 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: lefty_two_guns

Urban legend. If it was ever truly a rule, it was only enforced selectively.

Posted By: DonMega1888

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/03/14 09:50 PM

cool film some parts are funny defanilty worth a watch, agree on the beard BTW lol

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/04/14 12:13 PM

Just finished watching it a few minutes ago. A shit movie in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Detroit

I love Ray Romano. As a comedian and comic actor. But what is it with these guys that they feel they have to prove themselves as dramatic actors? The 200 million he made off his show isn't enough? rolleyes

Re the Uvas: Those two deserved exactly what they got. Shame on the filmmakers for making them look like a couple of fun loving kids who got in over their heads.

My exact thought after watching the movie. I didn't care much for the fictional crime family/character names either. Hard to figure out who is suppose to be who when trying to piece together the people involved. Blah. One viewing for me and that's it but hey, everyone's a critic.
Posted By: alexandarns

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/04/14 01:21 PM

Dont like it very much,actually at all..the worst of mafia related movies...and the name they gave the social clubs are just comic...joseph corrao s club was named waikiki club in the movie.hehege...abd the don who is played by andy garcia is talking about meat all the time...whats that about????i cant belive that you guys acctually liked the movie

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/04/14 02:14 PM

yeah, The mortadela scene. Garcia's character is constantly referring to arancini in nearly every scene he is in.

Tommy Uva was darker skinned and Rosemarie was a brunette so the casters got together and said "Hey, lets cast this fair skinned kid as the role of Tommy and this blonde broad as Rosemarie!"

In my opinion, if youre going to do a movie based on a true story than use as little fiction as possible.

I say the movie is based on a true story, sure..very, very loosely based on a true story. Garbage.
Posted By: alexandarns

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/04/14 06:50 PM

You are 100% wright..garbage.i recomend pusher movie,the trilogy..its danish crime/gangster movie...not bad,just watched it last night..

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/05/14 04:28 AM

Wasn't the greatest acting ever , agree on Garcia boring character all round , we're the Riceballs really nesscerary ? Thought it had the right ending though that scene was filmed nicely
Posted By: Mikey_Sunset

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/07/14 10:37 PM

I found it difficult to like most of the characters. If this was supposed to be a "Robin Hood" type of story then they missed the target. I was hoping that Michael Pitt would get killed after the first 30 minutes. Didn't like him in Funny Games - that was GOOD casting as the audience was supposed to hate those two yuppie sociopaths but this didn't work. Another poor casting choice was Yul Vasquez as Vinny Gorgeous - I was waiting for him to say "We are taking the armoire and that is that!" Rispoli was the stand out in this film also Cathy Moriarty and Griffin Dunne good. Aida Turturro was completely cut out of the film but it didn't really matter as her story did not add much. Overall I wasn't impressed - with Rispoli, Garcia, Moriarty, Pastore, Young and even Romano and Whalley it could have been better. A well written script and a little more effort in casting certain roles would have made this a mediocre mob film as it is it's a "one and done" for me.
Posted By: Yankees1951

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/07/14 11:17 PM

What was with the flashbacks Michael Pitt would get was it the mob beating on his father or extorting him? It seemed he had a lot hatred towards the guys.. I wonder if he went the extra step to humiliate them. Made them strip down is one thing to steal there cash but tell a guy to hump another guy I would guess that was added in for comedy it wasn't like the movie was based on the DeClavacante Family.

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/08/14 11:08 AM

I thought Andy Garcia was loosely based off big paul. Remember how Big Paul ran all the chicken n even the kosher chicken in NYC according to the one bio pic they did on him.

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/08/14 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Yankees1951
I thought Andy Garcia was loosely based off big paul. Remember how Big Paul ran all the chicken n even the kosher chicken in NYC according to the one bio pic they did on him.

Even though Paul was long dead by the film's time period, he's as good a guess as any, considering that this stupid movie is about as factual as Jurassic Park grin.

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/08/14 01:01 PM

Even though Paul was long dead by the film's time period, he's as good a guess as any, considering that this stupid movie is about as factual as Jurassic Park grin.

Jurassic Park was pretty cool I liked the one dinosaur that hissed and spit on people

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/08/14 02:02 PM

Andy Garcia's family in the movie was based on the bonannos. In real life the Uva's robbed Gambino and Bonnano social clubs. We see Gravano in the movie list Gambino social clubs so the other family social clubs that were robbed had to be the Bonannos. In the trailer of the movie they say the list of made members that the characters steal is of the Bonnano family but in the movie its changed and the list is of some made up family name. Not sure if Andy Garcia's character was based off Joe Bonnano himself as they mention his son was part of his crime family (like Bonnano had involved his sons) and eventually gotten killed (maybe a reference to Don Corleone and Sonny?)

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/08/14 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: NE1020
Andy Garcia's family in the movie was based on the bonannos. In real life the Uva's robbed Gambino and Bonnano social clubs. We see Gravano in the movie list Gambino social clubs so the other family social clubs that were robbed had to be the Bonannos. In the trailer of the movie they say the list of made members that the characters steal is of the Bonnano family but in the movie its changed and the list is of some made up family name. Not sure if Andy Garcia's character was based off Joe Bonnano himself as they mention his son was part of his crime family (like Bonnano had involved his sons) and eventually gotten killed (maybe a reference to Don Corleone and Sonny?)

I understand all that. I was just making a joke. Because even though it was "fact based," it was 90 percent bullshit.

As far as Joe and Bill Bonanno, they were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the picture by 1992 smile .

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/09/14 05:15 AM

Sorry didn't see your original post PizzaBoy, wouldn't have written such a serious post otherwise smile

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/12/14 12:55 PM

You know the factual part in JP is when the one dinosaur hisses and spits shit on people you know what part im talking about lol

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/12/14 01:40 PM

You know the factual part in JP is when the one dinosaur hisses and spits shit on people you know what part im talking about lol

lol lol

Part 4 finally comes out next Summer, WITHOUT CGI clap.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1348083/jurassic-park-4-to-abandon-cgi-for-real-feel/
Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/26/14 06:33 PM

A friend of mine lived in the Uva's neighborhood n told me about their story. The movie is entertaining. Like most wiseguy flicks it's about 90% bs.
I was watching the directors commentary on this movie n he was saying that he did NOT want to base Andy Garcia's character on any mob figure.
I like how Tommy's character messed up Vinny Gorgeous's hair that was classic. To see the neighborhood wise guys being robbed by a "wannabe gangster" was pretty funny to say the least...
Posted By: TheAustralian

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/27/14 04:26 AM

This movie was shit.
Posted By: maddog

Re: Rob the Mob - 07/28/14 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TheAustralian
This movie was shit.

some great acting but a bullshit 'true story'.
Posted By: BloodlettersandBadmen

Re: Rob the Mob - 08/27/14 09:00 AM

I had great hopes for this movie. Maybe my expectations were to high. At any rate, I began reading while watching the movie.

Re: Rob the Mob - 08/31/14 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BloodlettersandBadmen
I had great hopes for this movie. Maybe my expectations were to high. At any rate, I began reading while watching the movie.

Lol
Posted By: overcoat

Re: Rob the Mob - 09/03/14 12:06 AM

The movie was okay I guess. The filming was good and it looked realistic other than some other chessy mob movies out there. Other than that the Uva's in the movie really iritated me for some reason because they where dumb as shit the whole time in the movie, and it really irked me lol.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET