Home

Philly Mob Book Recommendation?

Posted By: Iceman999

Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 06/26/13 09:04 PM

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good/authoritative/reliable book on the Philly Mob with an emphasis on the Scarfo years, if there is one.

Thanks.
Posted By: southend

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 07/09/13 02:18 PM

Blood & Honor - by George Anastasia

Just happens to be without a question one of my top 5 all time favorite mob stories, this book right here. Your looking for a reliable, good authoritative book with emphasis on the Scarfo years, so Blood&Honor is the clear and obvious choice. I've read it twice. It could just as well end up being a favorite of your own I'd bet

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 07/12/13 12:21 AM

Thank you for the recommendation. Just nabbed it off eBay.
Posted By: Logomassini

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 07/12/13 02:43 AM

Blood & Honor is a great book. I used to own it but it mysteriously disappeared not to long ago when my cousin Richie was visiting me in Orlando from Phillie haha. I would recommend any books written by George Anastasia. Also check out Last Gangster by Anastasia as well. I'm a huge reader and own about 20-25 LCN based books. Another suggestion (kind of off base from Philly) but my favorite read, you may have read it is The Outfit by Gus Russo. And another that I just finished is The Sixth Family by Lee Lamothe and its about the history of The Rizzuto Family.
Posted By: Phriction

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 07/12/13 01:52 PM

I think most would agree to start with George Anastasia and branch out from there, but I do feel that most of his recent work is a little more regurgitated...or maybe there was just so much more action in the 80s. Blood and Honor is in my all time top 10 (not just Philly LCN), and Mobfather is also very good. I would also recommend The Plumber (Salerno/Rivele), Mafia Wipeout (Cox), Breaking the Mob (Friel/Guinther), Blood Oath (Fresolone) for more on the Scarfo era. Leonetti's book Mafia Prince is enjoyable despite the shoddy writing/editing. From a slightly different perspective, Robert Simone's The Last Mouthpiece is a decent read...he was a longtime attorney for Scarfo and other LCN figures.
For much more historical Philly stuff Celeste Morello's Before Bruno 3-parter is just okay, but you will likely do better reading old PCC reports from the 80s for stuff on Little Nicky. And on another tangent altogether Sean Patrick Griffin's books on Philly Black Mafia/JBM and its connections to politics/industry/LCN from historical to current day are pretty comprehensive...I only wish this guy wrote more about LCN as his material/details/sources are top notch.

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 07/12/13 11:21 PM

Thanks for these other recommendations as well. I'll be getting to them as time permits.
Posted By: tommykarate

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 08/12/13 03:42 AM

If u want a good book about philly check out breaking the mob by frank friel.he was a detective in philly in the o.c sqaud I think.pretty in depth on some of scarfos guys and him.it was written back in like 93 so it wasn't to long after they went away that it came out
Posted By: markg

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 08/30/13 07:59 PM

A good read is The Last Gangster from George Anastasia.
I've read it numerous times. if you really want to learn
from mobsters, take notes from the books and twist their
deals around so they're legitimate.

If you've got a business,and you hire subcontractors,start a trade association or union of your own and make money on the back end.

But talk to a lawyer to see if that's legal in your state or province. I did that with my little cleaning business and I make extra cash.I got that idea from reading mob books on how the mob started a trade association with garbage hauling, and made back end money every month. The Lucchese family did this with Anthony Corallo. Unfortunately the feds didn't like that.

And no I'm not giving you a bull story.
Posted By: southend

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 09/05/13 11:54 AM

MOB FATHER was actually a really good book too. Written by the sons of Scarfo mobster Tommy DelGiorno w/George Anastasia. Guy was a cocksucker and a terrible father, but makes for a great story.
Posted By: SlasherFreak

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 09/15/13 03:02 PM

THE GOODFELLA TAPES by George Anastasia is an excellent book on the Joey Merlino era
Posted By: Revis_Knicks

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 10/08/13 06:20 PM

The book by Phil Leonetti. I believe it is called mafia prince. You get first hand accounts of what happened from Phil Leonetti, the former underboss of the Philadelphia crime family under his uncle and boss Nicky scarfo.
Posted By: HandsomeStevie

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 10/25/13 01:22 PM

i just purchased before bruno volume 3 1946-1959.. ive never read the first two but im really more interested in bruno rising through the family.. Is the book any good???
Posted By: Mukremin

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 10/25/13 08:09 PM

- Blood and Honor
- Goodfella Tapes
- The Last Gangster
- Mafia Prince

These are a must have!!

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 10/26/13 02:49 PM

sooo how about Before bruno volume 3??
Posted By: Moe_Tilden

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/06/15 03:48 AM

Bought The Last Gangster.

Must check out Breaking the Mob and Mafia Wipeout.

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/07/15 06:40 AM

Since this thread popped back up, made me want to check out some books i havent read. So today I order the Freselone book, Blood Oath. Supposed to be good and thats part of philly family history in North Jersey that I am interested in.. And also for only 2$ and 3.99 $ shipping I got The Goodfella tapes. I know a lot about that era but im sure theres plenty I dont know and hopefully learn from the book.

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/07/15 06:46 AM

I was thinking about the last gangster but it had Previte all over it and to me looked like it was all about Previte. Im interested in that era and everything that went on when he was around. But not so much previte, Ive had enough of him over the years! But how is the book? and is it all about previte or what? Also after I read Blood oath and Goodfella tapes, Im gonna buy Blood and Honor. Maybe Mafia Prince if its worth the read..

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/07/15 06:49 AM

Isnt blood and Honor from Caramandi? Isnt there a book about Tommy Delgiorno? I thought there was, id like to read that one. I liked Before Bruno Volume 3 but lost the book with like 30 pages left to read. Def gonna check out the first two volumes eventually.
Posted By: Beanshooter

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/07/15 11:58 AM

Mafia Prince and Blood and Honor.

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/09/15 07:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Mafia Prince and Blood and Honor.

So Mafia prince and Blood and Honor are the two best reads? I orderd Blood Oath and Goodfella tapes on Sunday and then yesterday ended up ordering the Last Gangster.. If I keep hearing good things, Mafia prince and Blood and honor are next!

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/09/15 10:46 AM

Stevie, I think Tommy's DelGiorno's book was written by Anastasia and is about his kid and wife and of course Tommy Del, The book is called, Mobfather: The Story of a Wife and a Son Caught in the Web of the Mafia. I haven't read it Stevie, its on my list to one day buy.
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/10/15 03:04 AM

Tommy Del's book isn't really HIS book. It's written by Anastasia in conjuction with Tommy's kid and his ex-wife.

And Last Gangster IS all about Ron Previte. It goes into the Stanfa/Merlino era. But it's about Previte and his years as a mobster and the guys he dealt with.

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/10/15 03:55 AM

Sinatra, was Anastasia's book good?

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/10/15 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
Tommy Del's book isn't really HIS book. It's written by Anastasia in conjuction with Tommy's kid and his ex-wife.

And Last Gangster IS all about Ron Previte. It goes into the Stanfa/Merlino era. But it's about Previte and his years as a mobster and the guys he dealt with.

Damn I wish I would of ordered Blood and Honor instead of The Last Gangster then. I cant really stand Previte but its cool ill give it a read after I read Blood Oath & Goodfella Tapes.

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/10/15 07:06 AM

I got Last Gangster on amazon used for .01 & $3.99 shipping so I guess its not too bad. If anyone has read the book Mob Father let me know if its worth a read, thanks guys.
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/10/15 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Sinatra, was Anastasia's book good?

Mobfather? I have yet to finish it, I'm somewhere towards the end, but it's an okay read, I think. A couple of boring parts that have to deal with his wifes life after divorcing Tommy Del, but for the most part, it's good.

Re: Philly Mob Book Recommendation? - 12/12/15 07:59 AM

Cool what about the last gangster? A lot of interesting stuff in there ?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET