Home

What books to start with?

Posted By: FunnyHow

What books to start with? - 06/13/13 04:30 PM

I want to start reading up on the mafia. I am very interested in it. What books should I start off with to get a good grip on the subject? I was thinking of starting with Italian gangsters, then reading about prohibition and Jewish gangsters, then eventually Irish gangsters. Is this a good reading plan:

- Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires (Selwyn Raab)

- The First Family: Terror, Extortion, Revenge, Murder and The Birth of the American Mafia (Mike Dash)

- Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia (John Dickie)

- The Starker: Big Jack Zelig, the Becker-Rosenthal Case, and the Advent of the Jewish Gangster (Rose Keefe)

- Mr. Capone (Robert J Schoenberg)/Capone: The Life and World of Al Capone (John Kobler) [Which one is better? Or another Capone book?]

- [Prohibition books-- maybe this?] Prohibition Gangsters: The Rise and Fall of a Bad Generation (Mark Mappen)

- Eventually some T.J. English books

Any advice is welcome on what books (or even documentaries to watch on Netflix) to widen my gangster expertise.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: What books to start with? - 06/13/13 07:36 PM

Try the mafia books thread in the OC section, tons of books in there..
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: What books to start with? - 06/16/13 09:55 PM

Kobler's is the definitive Capone biography.
You should also get "Little Man - Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life" by Robert Lacey, which is just about the best gangster bio extant. Also, Anthony DiStefano's "King of the Godfathers," another excellent bio, about Joe Massino. I'd recommend Joe Bonanno's autobiography, "A Man of Honor." Take it with about a pound of salt, but it's got good stuff on the Castellemmarese War and the Commission.
Posted By: Lou_Para

Re: What books to start with? - 06/17/13 03:24 AM

After you get a good overview of the Mob in general,you could also pick up some specialized books for a more finely tuned perspective. Among many others,Donnie Brasco by Joe Pistone is a great look into the day to day life in the Bonanno's and is far better than the film. I would also check out The Last Mafioso by Ovid Demaris. It's the story of Jimmy(TheWeasel)Frattiano,and covers a lot of ground.I like to haunt Flea Markets,Half Price books,Thrift Stores,etc. for stuff that the Library doesn't have. Also if you go into Google Books,you can enter search terms and specify books with previews available, There are also numerous online archives that will keep you busy for a long time.
Once you start,it's just like potato chips.
Posted By: southend

Re: What books to start with? - 07/09/13 03:00 PM

Let me give you a list of books I'd recommend to really peak your interest in the topic of the mob. I'll try to add the author's name. In no special order, only as they come to mind...

Murder Machine by Gene Mustain and Jerry Capeci
Blood&Honor by George Anastasia
Mob Star by Jerry Capeci and Gene Mustain
Underboss by Peter Maas and Sammy Gravano
Mob Father by George Anastasia
The Westies by T.J. English
Family Secrets by Jeff Coen
The Enforcer by Bill Roemer
Accardo by Bill Roemer
Hitman by Howie Carr
Rifleman by Howie Carr
Vengeance Is Mine by ?? and Jimmy Fratianno
The Don by ?? (about Giancana)
Black Mass by Dick Lehr, Gerard O'Neil

..........to name a few. These books will teach you a lot about organized crime in the United States
Posted By: joeytheneedle

Re: What books to start with? - 07/29/13 02:42 AM

When I was lockt up in marion illinois- I wrote the ebook joey "the needle". Its my life story on how a small town iowa boy gets involved with organized criminals from the former ussr. It has some good facts about early mma fighters. I used to manage king of the cage world heavyweight champion and ufc veteran bobby the" bad seed" hoffman.google joey the needle for more information. Ill give ya this its not a rat book. My russian buddies and I are aware of how we got nailed. I dropped the price to 3.99 and would appreciate all feedback at crunchmanjoe@gmail.com. Thanks joe sales
Posted By: Torrie1

Re: What books to start with? - 08/07/13 11:57 AM

Mafia Wife by Lynda Milito...it's a true account by a woman whose husband was in the mob...Gambino CF.
Posted By: Quiet_Doms

Re: What books to start with? - 08/08/13 06:40 PM

Murder Machine, Donnie Brasco, Five Families, Mafia Prince & The Westies are by far the best mafia novels I've ever read!
Posted By: lic

Re: What books to start with? - 08/10/13 06:05 PM

new england reads

rat bastards

last rites

legends of winter hill

rouge mobster

black mass

marked card
Posted By: LittleMan

Re: What books to start with? - 08/11/13 05:27 AM

The first non fiction book on the mob that I read was, "Joey the Hitman". I recommend it.
Posted By: joeytheneedle

Re: What books to start with? - 10/11/13 07:54 PM

the book joey"the needle" is now available in paperback form on amazon.com books. its similar to orange is the new black novel but a bit faster paced thanks. joe
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET