Home

The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor?

Posted By: BaltimoreSteel69

The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/17/13 07:59 PM

Is it me, or has Ray Liotta's career taken a downturn since Goodfellas? I've seen him in a few other films, but none of them compare to his starring role as Henry Hill. Recently, I saw him in Killing Them Softly, and he was casted as a local mobster who ran a card game that got robbed, and now he's playing Roy DeMeo in that film on George Klaukski.

Is he being typed cast? Is he strong enough to even carry these roles and give them some sort of justice per se?

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/17/13 08:05 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like most of Ray Liotta's work, but at times, some of his films I had issues with. Either they were poorly written films, and he did the best he could with some of these characters, or poor characters in good films?!! This is not a knock on this man's acting ability, but it's not strong as it could be IMHO!
Posted By: Camarel

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/17/13 08:48 PM

I personally don't think he's that great of an actor, i mean i love Goodfellas but his performance is probably my least favourite which i think says alot since he's the main character. A more recent film i saw him in which i thought was great is Observe And Report with Seth Rogen.
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/17/13 09:21 PM

First movie i saw Liotta in that i rememnber was Something Wild with Melanie Griffith back in the 80's. He had that great sinister laugh of his.

I like Ray but i've noticed some of the parts he takes aren't too great. Last movie i saw him in was that Brad Pitt movie Killing Them Softly. It looked like he put on a few pounds but most people do over the years i suppose.

Coming up he's playing Roy DeMeo in the Iceman movie. Hopefully he makes it a memorable part.
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/17/13 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
First movie i saw Liotta in that i rememnber was Something Wild with Melanie Griffith back in the 80's. He had that great sinister laugh of his.

I like Ray but i've noticed some of the parts he takes aren't too great. Last movie i saw him in was that Brad Pitt movie Killing Them Softly. It looked like he put on a few pounds but most people do over the years i suppose.

Coming up he's playing Roy DeMeo in the Iceman movie. Hopefully he makes it a memorable part.

If you go on Netflix you'll see he's been in a few movies type casted as a mobster/gangster/corrupt cop or official I've never read into his personal life but a lot of his roles revolve around coke wouldn't be surprised if that's his drug choice
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/17/13 11:29 PM

Dickie the only thing i know about Liotta's private life is that he was adopted as a baby by the Liotta's. He later met his biological mother and found out he wasn't italian which i guess he must of thought he was.
Posted By: SnickersMagillicutti

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/18/13 03:33 PM

Yeah after Goodfellas you didn't see his movies take off like Goodfellas. One of life's great mysteries.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/18/13 06:49 PM

I liked his part in Blow even though it was only a minor role..

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/19/13 04:21 PM

Yeah, he played George Jung's father?! It was a good role, and kind of heart-breaking.
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/19/13 08:10 PM

He dominated wild hogs
Posted By: Iceman999

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/19/13 10:08 PM

I think he's a talented actor, but a Roy DeMeo he's not.
Posted By: DE NIRO

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/19/13 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BaltimoreSteel69

Yeah, he played George Jung's father?! It was a good role, and kind of heart-breaking.

The end was sad when George recorded his message for his dying dad(Ray)
Posted By: SinatraClub

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 03/22/13 11:23 PM

I thought he was pretty good in Smokin' Aces where he played a cop in charge of protecting a government informant from the Las Vegas Mob.
Posted By: streetbossliborio

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 04/01/13 10:13 PM

his career was basicaly non existent before goodfellas. so its not a downturn, everythings an upturn!
Posted By: FrankMazola

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 04/06/13 02:50 AM

Goodfellas
Cop Land ->underrated film
Blow
Kuklinski Biopic?
Unlawful Entry
Narc

I'm a BIG Liotta fan. As for the Direct to DVD stinkers? You really gonna fault the guy for takin a descent payday here and there?!?!
Posted By: Mastronardo

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 04/06/13 04:18 PM

Not a big Ray Liotta fan but he has done some decent movies although most of his recognition comes from Goodfellas.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 04/06/13 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Originally Posted By: Giancarlo

If you go on Netflix you'll see he's been in a few movies type casted as a mobster/gangster/corrupt cop or official I've never read into his personal life but a lot of his roles revolve around coke wouldn't be surprised if that's his drug choice

Agreed.
Posted By: AmericanCrime

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 05/01/13 12:14 AM

I thought he was exceptionally good in Revolver
Posted By: Pharaoh

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 05/02/13 09:13 PM

Goodfellas thats about it not a hughe fan sorry
Posted By: GerryLang

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 05/03/13 12:41 PM

I thought Liotta was great in the movie Dominick and Eugene. It's about him and his relationship with his slow twin brother. The movie came out in 1988, and Liotta plays an Italian American in it.
Posted By: tenpin477

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 05/03/13 11:37 PM

He was a solid voice actor for Tommy Vercetti if that counts for anything
Posted By: Camarel

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 05/05/13 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: tenpin477
He was a solid voice actor for Tommy Vercetti if that counts for anything
I noticed he was the voice actor right away lol, none of my friends knew who he was though. My best friend always thought i was talking about Pesci becausde he knesw him from My Cousin Vinny and he knew he was in Goodfellas without seeing it.
Posted By: Ricky1319

Re: The Ray Liotta Effect: Demise of An Actor? - 05/15/13 07:14 AM

Field of Dreams anyone? And isnt the Iceman movie about Richard Kuklinski not George?
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET