Home

Hoodlum

Posted By: BaltimoreSteel69

Hoodlum - 03/17/13 12:57 PM

Hoodlum staring Lawrence Fishburne, Andy Garcia and Tim Roth was an interesting film about the rise and fall of Harlem's Bumpy Johnson.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Hoodlum - 03/17/13 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: BaltimoreSteel69

Hoodlum staring Lawrence Fishburne, Andy Garcia and Tim Roth was an interesting film about the rise and fall of Harlem's Bumpy Johnson.

I watch it every chance I get. Whether or not it's historically accurate, it's an enjoyable film.
Posted By: IvyLeague

Re: Hoodlum - 03/17/13 10:19 PM

Definitely not historically accurate. Tim Roth is great, as usual, but that's about all the good I can say about the film.
Posted By: Tony_Pro

Re: Hoodlum - 11/23/13 11:10 PM

Watched it last night and it was pretty good if not historically accurate. Seeing how big numbers operations were run was pretty interesting, not too many mob movies depict numbers operations.
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Hoodlum - 11/24/13 12:24 AM

The number one thing that always irritated me about the movie was them portraying luciano and dewey as friends and that luciano was paying dewey off, and anyone that knows anything knows thats ridicolous, along with all the other historical inaccuracies. That being said, when i was younger i thought it was kind of an entertaining movie, but when i watched it again recently i didnt think to much of it.
Posted By: olivant

Re: Hoodlum - 11/24/13 03:18 AM

I like it.
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: Hoodlum - 11/24/13 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
The number one thing that always irritated me about the movie was them portraying luciano and dewey as friends and that luciano was paying dewey off, and anyone that knows anything knows thats ridicolous, along with all the other historical inaccuracies. That being said, when i was younger i thought it was kind of an entertaining movie, but when i watched it again recently i didnt think to much of it.

Dont know how true is this but i think that there was a rumour about Luciano giving 100.000$ contribution to Dewey's election for governor
Posted By: Dellacroce

Re: Hoodlum - 11/24/13 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Toodoped
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce

Dont know how true is this but i think that there was a rumour about Luciano giving 100.000$ contribution to Dewey's election for governor

I dont think ive ever heard that, doesnt really make too much sense seeing that dewey didnt run for govornor until after he succesfully prosecuted luciano. Why would luciano give someone 100,000 dollars to someone responsible for locking him up?
Posted By: LittleMan

Re: Hoodlum - 11/25/13 01:45 AM

Dellacroce, I believe that was in the LToLL. The supposed plan was to get in Dewey's good graces....and after he was in a position of power, he could potentially commute his sentence. So, he received contributions in his run for governor and for the presidency. Again, since it was in the Last Testament, I have no idea how true it is....although he did sign off on Luciano being released and deported after WWII.

I agree with what irritated you about the movie.....Luciano and Dewey were not friends at all before the trial. And the movie portrayed Dewey as being on the take, when in fact, he was a special prosecutor gearing up to take down Schultz, Luciano, Waxey, Lepke, and had his sights set on Genovese. It was wrong, imo, to take a successful crime crusader and portray him as a crooked politician on the take.
Posted By: F_white

Re: Hoodlum - 11/26/13 01:04 PM

It was good to see a movie base on numbers and black gangsters.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET