Home

BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3

Posted By: SC

BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 01:59 AM

Great season premiere!!

clap

It left lots of openings for stuff to happen this year.

This thread may contain some spoiler information.
Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:02 AM

Yea, pretty good. A lot of stuff going on.

I cracked up at Rosetti calling Nucky a "breadstick in a bow tie." lol

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:11 AM

Absolutely loved it when Van Alden, the iron salesman, found out he missed the deadline for his company's sales contest! lol

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:16 AM

Yea LOL, he was pissed.

Oh, and Jimmy's mom (forgot her name) is a real piece of work. She wants to keep her grandson for "herself?" confused Sick bitch.

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:19 AM

Gotta love that Richard Harrow (the war vet who wears the mask) exacted revenge for Jimmy.
Posted By: olivant

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: SC
Gotta love that Richard Harrow (the war vet who wears the mask) exacted revenge for Jimmy.

How do you think he'll handle Jimmy's mother?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: olivant

Good question. He may stay on good behavior out of respect for Jimmy BUT he also may step in to "save" Jimmy's son from her grasp.
Posted By: EddieCoyle

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:28 AM

I got fingers crossed that Van Alden will accept his dark side and go to work for O'Banion.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Montague
I got fingers crossed that Van Alden will accept his dark side and go to work for O'Banion.

I hope that son-of-a-bitch Van Alden gets a bullet between his eyes.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:32 AM

Good question. He may stay on good behavior out of respect for Jimmy BUT he also may step in to "save" Jimmy's son from her grasp.

I can't see him putting up with her for very long. You could tell he was holding back already when she asked him to stop talking about the past. Btw, what is his character name?

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Btw, what is his character name?

Richard Harrow.

Check out the link for cast names: CLICK HERE

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Montague

I hope that son-of-a-bitch Van Alden gets a bullet between his eyes.

Now now they can't do that to ALL the interesting characters!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:42 AM

Oh, I thought that was the actor's name. Thanks.

Remember the end when Margaret goes out to see that female pilot who's name was in the paper? Was that a real person? Only female pilot I know was Amelia Earhart. confused

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 02:44 AM

Remember the end when Margaret goes out to see that female pilot who's name was in the paper? Was that a real person? Only female pilot I know was Amelia Earhart. confused

Probably a fictional character based on Earhart.
Posted By: Wudstock

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 04:13 PM

Nucky learn from last season he can't be a niceguy anymore, that opening scene with him was jokes .

Rosetti's def the best new character. Sensitive ruthless prick....the worst kind of sociopath.

Margaret already making me wanna see her dead this season, at least Nucky ain't putting up with her bullshit this season and got himself a sidepiece that respects his status. I'll give Margaret credit, she put herself in a position that made her not be allowed to be thrown in the bushes by Nucky.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 04:25 PM

Yea, Margaret is not stupid. She's positioning herself so she'll get something out of the deal (i.e. her name on that land deed and thru her marriage to Nucky). I don't expect she'll be killed off this season but who knows.

I felt sorry for the pregnant girl, Lucy, Van Alden kept locked up. I thought at first she'd keep her baby but looks like she booked after getting money. confused

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 10:49 PM

I don't find Rosetti that interesting really. We've seen the hothead gangster character 100 times before, I actually find him predictable in his 'unpredictability' if that makes sense. That opening scene to me was straight out of any dime a dozen straight to dvd mob flick. With better production values ofcourse.
I'm sure once his character gets more detail I'll change my mind, but so far I was more interested in returning characters.
Posted By: Lilo

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 11:26 PM

I thought the reaction of the doctor to being asked a question by Margaret was interesting and certainly a reminder that the 1920s were very different times indeed.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Lilo
I thought the reaction of the doctor to being asked a question by Margaret was interesting and certainly a reminder that the 1920s were very different times indeed.

Oh yea, I noticed that too. lol The little woman should NOT have questioned the doctor.

TIS
Posted By: Mark

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/17/12 11:52 PM

Oh yea, I noticed that too. lol The little woman should NOT have questioned the doctor.

TIS

Yes - they can fly across the Atlantic but how dare they ask a question?!? wink

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark

Oh yea, I noticed that too. The little woman should NOT have questioned the doctor.

Yes - they can fly across the Atlantic but how dare they ask a question?!?

Actually, at that point (1923) they hadn't flown across the Atlantic yet but your point is well taken. Don't forget the few remarks about a "lady lawyer", also.
Posted By: southphilly old head

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:02 AM

Rosetti seemed high strung,rude and ignorant! Do you think he hangs around and makes things interesting or does he get killed off real fast?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:04 AM

Oh yea, I noticed that too. The little woman should NOT have questioned the doctor.

Yes - they can fly across the Atlantic but how dare they ask a question?!?

Actually, at that point (1923) they hadn't flown across the Atlantic yet but your point is well taken. Don't forget the few remarks about a "lady lawyer", also.

Yes, SC. I'm also surprised that Margaret was even allowed to take that hospital tour without Nucky.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:08 AM

I guess when your name is on the wing of a hospital you get to have some "benefits". Did you notice how condescending they were when apologizing to Margaret about seeing the woman losing the baby? No such apologies were offered to the men taking the tour.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:09 AM

Well they wanted to show her the gardens remember, get her opinion on them.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:19 AM

I liked how they teased Capone's killing of O'Banion.
SPOILER ALERT...

O'Banion is eventually gunned down in his own flower shop late in 1924 by Capone's men... not on New Year's Eve 1922.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:31 AM

O'Banion is eventually gunned down in his own flower shop late in 1924 by Capone's men... not on New Year's Eve 1922.

They've been fairly historically accurate with real life characters so far in the first two seasons. I expect they will continue to be so.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:38 AM

Yeah - that's why I thought; "What the heck is happening here?" when Capone arrived at the shop on New Year's Eve. You know he wasn't there to buy a carnation!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:40 AM

Oh, and Van Alden hiding Lucy out in that home (basically imprisoning her). What a scandal back then hu? uhwhat

I loved when he walked in and his wife was with Lucy (who had scarlet fever). As his wife is yelling at him, new baby and all, Van Alden says "I did it for you." lol Talk about the wrong thing to say. Ha ha ha!!

TIS
Posted By: Turnbull

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 01:43 AM

Same old/same old. Buscemi growing stronger and stronger as Nucky. Margaret still the best character overall. Incredible authenticity. And...six or seven plots at once that probably won't make much more progress as the season wears on. Still a good watch.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 04:31 AM

I think that was a real pilot based on Amelia Earhart so how is that fictional to you?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Wudstock

I think that was a real pilot based on Amelia Earhart so how is that fictional to you?

confused

The aviatrix in the show was named Carrie Duncan. I cannot find any mention of that name in relation to (real life) aviation. I'm just saying it was a fictional name and character.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/18/12 05:31 PM

I agree SC. I think it was the writer's choice to show Margaret's sense of independence/admiration for the woman. I guess you'd say it was kind of "women's lib" way before it's time. wink

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/19/12 06:36 PM

Yall didn't even notice Frank Costello being introduced to the show at the meeting when Rosetti went off. He called one of the dudes Frank.
Posted By: Sonny_Black

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/19/12 11:09 PM

The guy who replaced Jimmy has already sealed his fate by sleeping with the boss' wife. Nucky is definitely going to find out and order him to be killed, if not this season then the next. I will put my money on that, it's just too obvious. He's a dead man walking.

Nucky is now changed from an on the edge businessman to a true gangster and he has risen to the point that there is no turning back. I also think he has become a real cold-hearted prick.

This has become a very good serie to say the least. It's amazing how much attention is payed to details, maybe even more than The Godfather.

The woman who play Margaret and Gillian are great too. Very authentic indeed. I like them especially.
Posted By: Luciano_Gotti

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/20/12 11:24 AM

Yall didn't even notice Frank Costello being introduced to the show at the meeting when Rosetti went off. He called one of the dudes Frank.

im pretty sure that dude wasnt frank costello, im sure it was frankie Yale, who was first introduced in the first episodes of season 1.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/20/12 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Luciano_Gotti

im pretty sure that dude wasnt frank costello, im sure it was frankie Yale, who was first introduced in the first episodes of season 1.

Absolutely right. That was Frankie Yale who had the "rat hole bar and warehouse in Canarsie".

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/20/12 01:32 PM

confused

The aviatrix in the show was named Carrie Duncan. I cannot find any mention of that name in relation to (real life) aviation. I'm just saying it was a fictional name and character.

I wonder why they had to create a fictional character and not use Amelia Earhart herself? Maybe something legal with her estate? They have used famous celebrities/figures such as Eddie Cantor, singers, Houdini, etc... Wonder why the aviator was fictionalized? Zoinks! Mystery here, Scoob!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/20/12 02:10 PM

I was thinking perhaps the years didn't coincide. I don't even know exactly what hear Earhart made her flight. Was it in the 20s?
confused

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/20/12 03:38 PM

I was thinking perhaps the years didn't coincide. I don't even know exactly what hear Earhart made her flight. Was it in the 20s?

What flight are you talking about? Earhart disappeared in the '30s, but she was already known as a flyer by then. She flew across the Atlantic in 1928.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/20/12 03:46 PM

I wasn't certain of the decade in which she was known (20s or 30s) or the exact year she disappeared. My thought was maybe they didn't use her name in the show was because it was before her time. smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/20/12 04:10 PM

Good point, TIS.

I have no idea why they used a fictional name ... there were other female pilots at the time.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/24/12 04:12 AM

Dunno what to make of tonight's episode... it was a little slow but building up for the future.

A few random thoughts:

When Nucky and Billie Kent were drinking in the nightclub, she left the table for a second to speak to another guy. He was wearing glasses and she later referred to him as the "wonder of Wall Street" (or something like that). I wonder if he was supposed to be Joseph Kennedy.

Were the hairs on the razor in Billie's apartment from Arnold Rothstein?

Gyp Rossetti is an annoying fuck and it looks like he's setting himself up for an ugly exit.

The whole scenario with Chalky's daughter is a whole different thing, but entertaining. I like Chalky.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/24/12 04:20 AM

OMG, I watched the emmys and totally forgot about BE. LOL And here you'd think seeing Buscemi in the audience would remind me. lol I'll catch it tomorrow.

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/24/12 12:14 PM

Dunno what to make of tonight's episode... it was a little slow but building up for the future.

A few random thoughts:

When Nucky and Billie Kent were drinking in the nightclub, she left the table for a second to speak to another guy. He was wearing glasses and she later referred to him as the "wonder of Wall Street" (or something like that). I wonder if he was supposed to be Joseph Kennedy.

Were the hairs on the razor in Billie's apartment from Arnold Rothstein?

Gyp Rossetti is an annoying fuck and it looks like he's setting himself up for an ugly exit.

The whole scenario with Chalky's daughter is a whole different thing, but entertaining. I like Chalky.

I like how Rothstein subtly (or not so subtly) tried to tell Nucky that he probably shouldn't get too invested in Billie because she's of easy virtue but Nucky didn't want to hear it.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/24/12 06:20 PM

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Chalky White is vying with Richard Harrow for most awesome television character ever. Every second he is on screen he is riveting. To answer the above question, I don't think it even possible Chalky set that up. He would never allow his daughter in such a rough place and he was genuinely shocked to see her there. And her beau has show that he is a real man and Chalky knows what he is and of course DESPERATELY does not want his children to follow in his footsteps in any way. This makes him even MORE awesome in my book.

2. Eli has not been forgiven by Nucky. Not at all. What a slap in the face to set him up as a truck loader for Mickey Doyle after he took the fall and served two years in prison. It will be interesting to see what happens here. Personally I would like to see Eli having learned something and working his way back up loyally but that is not who he is.

3. Margaret is really boring me. Nothing more to say really.

4. Every second Rosetti was on the screen I expected him to kill somebody. He radiates danger. I assume he killed the owner of that gas station. Why would Nucky and Rothstein not have him simply blown away?

The episode was interesting but of course not as exciting as the first.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/24/12 09:42 PM

When he was introduced at the start of the first episode I thought he was Albert Anastasia. But I like the character. He's a classic bad guy and he makes it a lot easier to distinguish the bad bad guys from the lesser bad guys. wink

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/24/12 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black about Gyp Rossetti
I like the character. He's a classic bad guy and he makes it a lot easier to distinguish the bad bad guys from the lesser bad guys. wink

No doubt he adds excitement to the show but he's got a hair trigger and he's got that "FUCK YOU" attitude about him. He killed the guy who helped fix the flat and he was all over the young gas attendant for nothing. People like that are truly annoying to me.

I have to admit, though, that his idea to take over the gas station was a good idea. He didn't directly hijack the booze shipment but he DID prevent it from going through. He won that battle.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/24/12 11:57 PM

While in Billy's apartment medicine chest, it looks as though Nucky switched the sharp side of the razor blade with the dull side. Nucky will soon know who is frequenting Billy's place by the big razor scratch on the guy's face.
Posted By: LuanKuci

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/26/12 07:56 AM

Rosetti...it's nice that they've added a Northern Italian mobster.
Posted By: afsaneh77

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/26/12 08:14 AM

I need a reminder of what had happened last season and an explanation about what went with Chalky this week. I feel so dumb now, not getting what was going on. frown I remember Chalky was mad that his manners were not acceptable at his own house, not sure what the deal with his daughter's boyfriend was about. ohwell

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/26/12 10:19 AM

afs,

I think the big change in seasons is how Chalky is perceived by his daughter, Maybelle. Last season we saw that she was embarrassed by her dad's "low class" upbringing (i.e. his taste for the common food associated with poor southerners) and now, all of a sudden we see that Maybelle finds her dad "interesting". Last season she was really interested in her boyfriend, and now she isn't.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/26/12 10:57 AM

afs,

I think the big change in seasons is how Chalky is perceived by his daughter, Maybelle. Last season we saw that she was embarrassed by her dad's "low class" upbringing (i.e. his taste for the common food associated with poor southerners) and now, all of a sudden we see that Maybelle finds her dad "interesting". Last season she was really interested in her boyfriend, and now she isn't.

Thanks SC! I didn't get that she was interested in her father. Gee! Isn't that a radical change? I'm not sure how I missed that hearing their conversation. The way she said her mother married her father, I never thought she means interest and not disgust. Gotta watch their conversation again.
Posted By: NickyScarfo

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/26/12 11:28 AM

Who is this Rossetti guy based on? Seems like it should be someone I know from my mob interest!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/26/12 01:35 PM

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 09/26/12 05:19 PM

Goodness, I watched it again and I'm not sure where I'd drifted in the middle of their conversation. Thanks again SC! blush

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/01/12 02:10 AM

Wow.... that Margaret Thompson is one conniving bitch!

"Bone for tuna". lol

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/01/12 02:30 AM

Wow.... that Margaret Thompson is one conniving bitch!

"Bone for tuna". lol

Ha ha ha Yea, I thought at first that was a weird title for the episode. lol

Yes, Margaret is learning the ropes isn't she?

What's Billie's story? What's she after? confused

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/01/12 04:03 AM

He has a severe self-esteem problem.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/01/12 05:12 AM

Who does?
Posted By: merlino

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/01/12 06:22 PM

Bone For Tuna!!!! Mental note to everyone around Gyp: Don't wish him good luck and maybe not even say anything around him.....Bobby Cannavale has to be the best actor on tv right now, awesome character..... and Nucky seems like he may be headed to see a female psychiatrist?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/01/12 06:43 PM

Who does?

Rosetti

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/01/12 10:50 PM

I liked how Richard is so matter of fact about the people he's killed. But he's also a believer in rules which is why Doyle's and Horvitz's actions offended him so.

I think it's realistic for Nucky to be so enthralled by Billie. There have always been older men who trade power and money for access to younger women, who take what they can get but are really more interested in men closer to their own age. Thing is this happened a bit too quickly with Nucky/Billie so we didn't get to see things develop (or deteriorate depending on your POV)

I think they spent too much time on Nucky's guilt over killing Jimmy. I got it the first time.

Van Alden got some. whistle Didn't think he had it in him. I thought he was going to stop her and start quoting Leviticus or something. He also managed to give the impression without saying anything that he was going to chop up all of his co-workers and serve them in stew in revenge for the joke with the pen.

Margaret has learned to play her power games well. I still don't like the character because I think she's a bigger hypocrite than Nucky.

Rossetti is fun to watch but I'm not sure where they're going with that character. Nice to see Lansky before he was just "a retired Miami investor".

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/01/12 11:51 PM

Van Alden got some. whistle Didn't think he had it in him.

lol Mrs. Van Alden looked like she had it in her. whistle

Good take on Richard.
Posted By: Don Zadjali

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/02/12 11:35 AM

lol

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/02/12 11:50 AM

I really am disliking Margaret more and more atm!!!. How long are we going to wait for Van Alden to team up with Bugs Moran? Maybe next episode?
Anyone else notice the transformation of Nucky? For me in season 1 he was kind of a lovable rogue, breaking the law to make money, corruption etc but a nice guy basically. (Although I know he was ordering murders etc) Now he is completely ruthless and cold since he shot Jimmy. I kind of can't wait for his comeuppance actually.

Also a key storyline last season was Margaret's daughters polio, has this been touched on since? Can't say I have heard anything more?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/02/12 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
I really am disliking Margaret more and more atm!!!. How long are we going to wait for Van Alden to team up with Bugs Moran? Maybe next episode?
anything more?

Margaret is turning into a rich prude, thought she was going to bang the one doctor.....and Van Alden seems like he may end up being for Bugs Moran what Richard will be for Nucky and then the season ending will be the 2 hit men, richard v. van alden, in some crazy shootout or stalking sequence....and Gyp is the man!!!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/02/12 02:29 PM

I have the greatest admiration for Margaret as representative of an intelligent and strong woman in an age when women were mostly relegated to domestic concerns. She can read people and discern their their strengths and weaknesses, and respond accordingly. Of course, unlike her husband, she doesn't have to murder people to get what she wants. It should also be noted that had she not exercised a certain presence of mind and purloined Nucky's money and papers before the federal authorities could, he would be in a world of hurt.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/02/12 05:46 PM

She (Margaret) is a conniving bitch!

FWIW - "Boardwalk Empire" has been signed to a fourth season.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/05/12 12:11 PM

FWIW - "Boardwalk Empire" has been signed to a fourth season.

Not really suprising, but good news surely.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/05/12 06:42 PM

Why did Richard confess to Nucky about Jimmy?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/05/12 10:56 PM

Do you mean about why he (Richard) killed Manny? confused
Richard was suicidal previously. Even if he wasn't he's not afraid of dying. So he has no fear of anything Nucky can do and thus no need to lie.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/05/12 11:10 PM

Richard didn't like that Mickey Doyle was taking credit for killing Manny. It went against his sense of "honor", especially that it was being done by a simpleton (Doyle).

I think Nucky understood this.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/06/12 04:54 AM

Richard didn't like that Mickey Doyle was taking credit for killing Manny. It went against his sense of "honor", especially that it was being done by a simpleton (Doyle).

And ofcourse he wouldn't be Nucky if he didn't try to manipulate him into becoming his personal assassin. He needs all the guns he can get in the inescapable war with Rosetti.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/06/12 06:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

And ofcourse he wouldn't be Nucky if he didn't try to manipulate him into becoming his personal assassin. He needs all the guns he can get in the inescapable war with Rosetti.

Also Mickey and Manny were in business with Nucky so if Mickey was going round telling people he killed Manny over business i think Richard brought him to Nucky to basically say ok tell Nucky what youve done, cos obviously Richard knows its not true. So when Mickey denies it Richard says i know he didnt do it cos i did, because he killed Angela. He wanted people to know, or Nucky at least that he killed Manny because of Angela, someone he cared about maybe even loved who was innocent was killed. So he didnt want an oaf like Doyle using the murder to his advantage in business deals, maybe even in Richards eyes [or eye] it was disrespecting Angela. He wanted him to know it was him that did it and why, for Angelas sake.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/06/12 03:22 PM

Its Gyp's world now cannot wait for the season to progress but I think it will be a shootout between Van Alden and Richard brewing in a struggle over Bootlegging
Posted By: Nova24

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/08/12 04:49 AM

Tonight's episode was awesome. I especially liked the Luciano/Masseria scene.

This season has delivered so far.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 04:50 AM

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 04:56 AM

And shit is about to hit the fan with Gyp and his crew. Nucky is going to have to take care of that situation. Although in the preview for next week's episode, it looks like Gyp may have struck a deal with Rothstein. That may be more of a trap than anything though. Either way, Nucky needs to get more focused. He's been slipping of late and it's clearly affected the whole operation.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Nova24

Awesome scene along with the ambush showed how ruthless these gangsters back in this time period were.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 04:57 PM

I knew the moment Nucky offered the kid his own cigarettes the kid was going to die.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 04:58 PM

I especially liked the Luciano/Masseria scene.

Very similar to the scene between young Vito and Fanucci, possibly even a reference.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 05:05 PM

I knew the moment Nucky offered the kid his own cigarettes the kid was going to die.

For some reason, I didn't catch that. I was surprised he killed the him. confused I thought he was gonna end up hiring him for something or another. Yet, I wasn't totally trusting the kid either.

Btw, a minor point...did you notice at the very end, Margaret reading the paper with the headline about the remains of the plane that Carrie(forgot last name) piloted were found? Remember a couple episodes ago when she ran out to see the plane in the sky?

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 05:34 PM

For some reason, I didn't catch that. I was surprised he killed the him. confused I thought he was gonna end up hiring him for something or another. Yet, I wasn't totally trusting the kid either.

The kid had fucked up, so to speak. Even though you could see that Nucky liked him, he knew he needed to kill the kid, because otherwise it might have been regarded as a sign of weakness. He needed to make clear that nobody can steal his booze and get away with it.

Quote:
Btw, a minor point...did you notice at the very end, Margaret reading the paper with the headline about the remains of the plane that Carrie(forgot last name) piloted were found? Remember a couple episodes ago when she ran out to see the plane in the sky?

I didn't notice that. So this woman she admired has died?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 06:46 PM

The kid had fucked up, so to speak. Even though you could see that Nucky liked him, he knew he needed to kill the kid, because otherwise it might have been regarded as a sign of weakness. He needed to make clear that nobody can steal his booze and get away with it.

I also got the feeling that nucky wanted to in a way prove a point to Owen. Im not saying that swayed his decision but i sensed alot of tension between them two. I think the fact that Nucky has been stabbed in the back so many times before by close people and when he saw mickey ask Owen his opinion just after he gave orders he might have been wanting to show Whos boss still.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 11:25 PM

I was 100% with you he was gonna pop him the first time in the house before the feds rolled in.....I guess nucky is stating you mess up you pay the piper....so next on the list is gonna be mickey doyle after nuckys brother told him whats up with the ambush
Posted By: Giancarlo

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/08/12 11:58 PM

Very similar to the scene between young Vito and Fanucci, possibly even a reference.

I thought that was a real good scene with Luciano and Masseria. Now that you mention it Sonny it does remind me of the scene with Vito and Fanucci.

That kid Roland was almost as annoying to me as Mickey Doyle. I guess Nucky thought the same. lol
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 03:15 AM

Except with the resolution being much farther down the road.

Is Eli going to get back (at least temporarily) into his brother's "good graces?"

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: dontommasino
Is Eli going to get back (at least temporarily) into his brother's "good graces?"

I was wondering that, too.

One of the most touching scenes I've seen in a long time was Al Capone trying to get his kid to hit him. The kid playing Sonny is a great actor!!!

Also, Capone killing the guy who dissed Jake Guzik is based on a true story.

That pinhead, Mickey, is an annoying prick.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 03:24 AM

Yeah... that same pilot died in California.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: dontommasino

I was wondering that, too.

One of the most touching scenes I've seen in a long time was Al Capone trying to get his kid to hit him. The kid playing Sonny is a great actor!!!

I felt bad for that little guy. frown I'm glad Capone softened and hugged the kid. He has a hard time dealing with his boy and any possibility he may be a wimp (for lack of a better word.)

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 03:34 AM

I felt bad for that little guy. frown I'm glad Capone softened and hugged the kid. He has a hard time dealing with his boy and any possibility he may be a wimp (for lack of a better word.)

There was an earlier scene when Capone said to his wife (about the son) that they had to toughen him up. Reminded me a LOT of Tony Soprano talking about AJ.

I also liked the ending with Capone singing to his son.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 03:40 AM

Yes, it was a nice scene. I didn't think, at least at first, that Capone would have a soft side. Btw, I wasn't sure, at first, that I liked the actor playing Capone but must admit, the more I see this guy the more I think he is good in the part.

smile

TIS
Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 05:48 AM

How did Agent Van Holden get to Chicago? The former Agent I remember last season he was indicted for murder then did some wild shit,,did he just flee I can't remember?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 04:55 PM

That fat guy was Jake Guzik?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 04:59 PM

That fat guy was Jake Guzik?

Yep.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/09/12 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
How did Agent Van Holden get to Chicago? The former Agent I remember last season he was indicted for murder then did some wild shit,,did he just flee I can't remember?

Yeah.... Van Alden fled AC with his baby and her nurse. They moved to Cicero, IL and assumed new identities.
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/11/12 08:13 PM

season 3 has been good so far. way better than season which sucked. rosetti is annoying

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/11/12 08:14 PM

Btw, I wasn't sure, at first, that I liked the actor playing Capone but must admit, the more I see this guy the more I think he is good in the part.

Yep. Reminds me of Don Cardi.

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 01:06 AM

Anyone watching tonight? Right at beginning now. Gyp Rosetti sure has some dangerous sexual pleasures no? lol

TIS

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 02:27 AM

Anyone watching tonight? Right at beginning now. Gyp Rosetti sure has some dangerous sexual pleasures no? lol

TIS

I think he's pretty much demonstrated that he's pazzo.

So, who ordered the hit?

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 02:34 AM

TIS

So, who ordered the hit?

Nucky? confused

TIS

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 02:35 AM

TIS

So, who ordered the hit?

Nucky? confused

TIS

But when Nucky was told about the hit, didn't the guy say the news came from Rothstein?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/15/12 04:35 AM

Good episode.

On the real: That was a poorly-planned hit -- one guy against four, entering a locked room where the target is probably armed. They should have had at least three guys. Not Smart Arnold but lucky especially Bugsy but we all know that he's crazy.

Van Alden got down ass chick. I have a feelings that Van is hooking up with Dean O'Banion, was a real life Irish gangster who was a rival of Al Capone and Torrio.
Posted By: J Geoff

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/15/12 05:37 AM

I liked the actor playing Capone...

Yep. Reminds me of Don Cardi.

I've ALWAYS thought that! wink

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 01:13 PM

So, who ordered the hit?
Nucky? confused

But when Nucky was told about the hit, didn't the guy say the news came from Rothstein?

The hit was ordered by Rothstein after Nucky presented his argument that Gyp was dangerous for everyone. One small giveaway to that was when Rothstein and Gyp were in the diner and Gyp mentioned his hotel room to the paper boy you could see the interest in Rothstein's eyes as he got the information on where Gyp could be found.

A random thought.... I LMAO when Van Alden's "wife" creamed the Prohibition agent (thinking that the agent was gonna arrest her "husband").

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 06:19 PM

Could someone explain to me what that Senate hearing was about?

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the guy who portrays Lucky Luciano tries to hard at being a "tough guy" with his heavy Brookyln accent.

And Van Alden's wife is Dutch is she not? If so then her accent is way off and is actually Scandinavian rather than Dutch.

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 06:30 PM

So, who ordered the hit?
Nucky? confused

The hit was ordered by Rothstein after Nucky presented his argument that Gyp was dangerous for everyone. One small giveaway to that was when Rothstein and Gyp were in the diner and Gyp mentioned his hotel room to the paper boy you could see the interest in Rothstein's eyes as he got the information on where Gyp could be found.

A random thought.... I LMAO when Van Alden's "wife" creamed the Prohibition agent (thinking that the agent was gonna arrest her "husband").

LOL yea, Van Alden's wife sure went off the wall didn't she? lol

I felt sorry for the paperboy. Didn't expect that.

TIS

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 07:33 PM

LOL yea, Van Alden's wife sure went off the wall didn't she?

Yep. That was definitely an "Oooops" moment. lol

Van Alden will definitely now be in Dion O'Bannion's debt (for helping to get rid of the Prohibition agent's body) and that isn't gonna fare well for Van Alden.

Another random thought: there were two incidents in last night's episode that kind of lightened up some characters:

1. When Gyp Rosetti was "yelling" at the newspaper boy about the news being yesterday's and then Gyp started laughing, letting everyone know it was a joke. That wouldn't have happened a few episodes back.

2. When Van Alden's boss asked him if he was planning on turning in the iron company to the feds (jokingly) and Nelson laughed. A few episodes back he (Van Alden) would have taken the question very seriously.

Another random thought: Margaret (Nucky's wife) got knocked down a peg (finally) when Nucky reminded her that he pays for her childrens' upbringing (after Margaret said she didn't want Nucky seeing her kids even if he was their stepfather.

Also, loved the scene in which Chalky and Dunn "leaned on" Eddie Cantor in the hotel room. Seeing Chalky sitting there with that serious face was hilarious. Gotta like him!!

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 07:41 PM

Eddie Cantor?? uhwhat OMG, Of course. I didn't realize that who it was suppose to me. I knew he was "Eddie" but it simply didn't click and I missed it, if they said a last name.

I like that they insert "real" people from time to time. Didn't they have Sophie Tucker in a short scene as well? Or somebody from that era.

TIS

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 08:03 PM

I like that they insert "real" people from time to time. Didn't they have Sophie Tucker in a short scene as well? Or somebody from that era.

Yeah, she had a small part in one episode.

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 08:50 PM

I like that they insert "real" people from time to time.

TIS

Me too. But I am absolutely amazed that those robots they use for all the other characters look so lifelike, especially Nucky.

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 08:51 PM

I like that they insert "real" people from time to time.

TIS

Me too. But I am absolutely amazed that those robots they use for all the other characters look so lifelike, especially Nucky.

Ha ha ha!! You get my drift. wink

TIS

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 11:13 PM

Could someone explain to me what that Senate hearing was about?

Also, am I the only one who thinks that the guy who portrays Lucky Luciano tries to hard at being a "tough guy" with his heavy Brookyln accent.

And Van Alden's wife is Dutch is she not? If so then her accent is way off and is actually Scandinavian rather than Dutch.

Andrew Mellon was Secretary of Treasury and one of the richest men in the US during the 20s. He would later oversee the team that got Capone. The hearing was about corruption in the Treasury Department and the Justice Department as well as lack of resources given for enforcement and prosecution of Prohibition violators. It was good to see James Cromwell in that part.

Van Alden's wife is Norwegian. The actress playing her, Christiane Seidel, was born in either Germany or Denmark I believe.
https://twitter.com/deutschdansk

I honestly did not notice Luciano's accent as much as Lanksy's but then again I am no expert at the different types of NY accents...

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 11:20 PM

can anybody help me out on who the shooter was tried to kill roselli? was it bugsy seagle?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/15/12 11:21 PM

It was bad form for Nucky to **** where he eats in terms of his relationship with Billie but I just don't see how Margaret can even pretend some sort of holier than thou outrage.

She stole from her husband because SHE had a guilty conscience and gave the proceeds to the church. She's cheated on him with his top bodyguard. Most of what she gives him is bad attitude and snide comments. Everything she had comes from Nucky. Without him she would have been pumping out child after child and getting regularly beaten by a drunk, that is if she hadn't died in childbirth.

Nucky did some of that for his own selfish reasons of course but then again Margaret is under no illusions. I'm not saying that she should necessarily be GRATEFUL all the time but if I were Nucky I would have told her a long time ago "Look, sorry but this really isn't working out. I thought I could make you happy but instead you're depressing me. Take what you like but go!" rolleyes

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: southphilly old head
can anybody help me out on who the shooter was tried to kill roselli? was it bugsy seagle?

Yes it was Bugsy.

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/15/12 11:24 PM

bad dude that bugsy

Re: Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 - 10/16/12 03:47 AM

It was bad form for Nucky to **** where he eats in terms of his relationship with Billie but I just don't see how Margaret can even pretend some sort of holier than thou outrage.

She stole from her husband because SHE had a guilty conscience and gave the proceeds to the church. She's cheated on him with his top bodyguard. Most of what she gives him is bad attitude and snide comments. Everything she had comes from Nucky. Without him she would have been pumping out child after child and getting regularly beaten by a drunk, that is if she hadn't died in childbirth.

Nucky did some of that for his own selfish reasons of course but then again Margaret is under no illusions. I'm not saying that she should necessarily be GRATEFUL all the time but if I were Nucky I would have told her a long time ago "Look, sorry but this really isn't working out. I thought I could make you happy but instead you're depressing me. Take what you like but go!" rolleyes

Are you saying that because Irishmen are stereotyped as heavy drinkers that her "potential love children" would witnessed her being beaten by their alcoholic father who raged out ?????

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/16/12 03:55 AM

Rosseti came from sicily and grew up in a cave its in his character bio on their site lol

Re: Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 - 10/16/12 09:42 AM

Are you saying that because Irishmen are stereotyped as heavy drinkers that her "potential love children" would witnessed her being beaten by their alcoholic father who raged out ?????

Eh??? confused
I don't know what you mean.
How are you getting from point A to point B. Margaret's deceased husband was physically abusive to her. Nucky hasn't laid a hand on her. I didn't write anything about Irish stereotypes. Nucky is of Irish descent but the goon that beat Margaret was of German descent (Hans Schroeder). The children did witness some abuse and likely would have witnessed more absent Nucky's intervention.

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/16/12 08:30 PM

Andrew Mellon was Secretary of Treasury and one of the richest men in the US during the 20s. He would later oversee the team that got Capone. The hearing was about corruption in the Treasury Department and the Justice Department as well as lack of resources given for enforcement and prosecution of Prohibition violators. It was good to see James Cromwell in that part.

Van Alden's wife is Norwegian. The actress playing her, Christiane Seidel, was born in either Germany or Denmark I believe.

My bad, I somehow thought she was supposed to be Dutch. Thanks for explaining.

I noticed that one of the Senators on that board was actually bribed himself by Nucky.

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/17/12 06:44 AM

TIS

"Ive killed many men in my life, but never running down the hallway with my dick swinging covered in blood" - Gyp Rosetti

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/17/12 03:53 PM

Eh??? confused
I don't know what you mean.
How are you getting from point A to point B. Margaret's deceased husband was physically abusive to her. Nucky hasn't laid a hand on her. I didn't write anything about Irish stereotypes. Nucky is of Irish descent but the goon that beat Margaret was of German descent (Hans Schroeder). The children did witness some abuse and likely would have witnessed more absent Nucky's intervention.

You didn't write about stereotypes but you described them through your articulate writing style. lol
Posted By: MetodaGemini

Re: Boardwalk Empire - 10/17/12 09:40 PM

Man I didnt;t like Vincent Piazza when he had the small role on The Sopranos.
But damn i really like him as Luciano.
Cant wait for the climax of the castellamarese war

Stephen Graham as Capone is frickin awesome.
In the first season, when Jimmy introduces himself to this nameless driver, and he replies "i'm Al. Al Capone." Shiiit that's when i knew this was my show man.

Shit's gettin down now.
Also Michael Shannon is a boss, and dude who plays Rothstein is such an awesome talent (Also knows alot more than the shows creators expected about Rothstein, they actually refer to him for info sometimes)

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/22/12 10:55 AM

I wasn't a huge fan of last night's episode. The stuff with Margaret's son bores me. I don't get how Margaret cheats on Nucky out of guilt. confused

I did like the Daugherty sub-plot and Nucky's planned countermove.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/22/12 01:12 PM

To be honest not liking this season as much as 1 and 2. I really do like Boardwalk, but I'm re-watching the Wire at the same time and they don't even compare.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/22/12 03:40 PM

Boring!!! Not enough action and Margarette bores me to death.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/22/12 06:28 PM

I wasn't that into last night's episode either. Jimmy's mom found a Jimmy look-a-like? Now, she doesn't know that Jimmy is dead right?

Not quite sure why Margaret's son is starting fires (or is he)?

Walking Dead was way better IMHO. smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/22/12 10:51 PM

I wasn't that into last night's episode either. Jimmy's mom found a Jimmy look-a-like? Now, she doesn't know that Jimmy is dead right?
TIS

I think she knows Jimmy is dead but didn't want to admit it. But finally she was ready to accept it, hence the removal of Jimmy's pics and the seduction of Jimmy 2.0.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/24/12 12:03 AM

yeah the last episode was meh. Was expecting more of a followup to the rosetti assassination attempt.
Posted By: NickyEyes1

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/24/12 01:56 AM

i usually fast forward the scenes involving margaret. way to boring

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/25/12 06:20 PM

Not quite sure why Margaret's son is starting fires (or is he)?

Do you remember Nucky setting fire to his father's old house? The boy started enjoying setting fire after that. He did that last season as well and got punished for it.
Posted By: dontommasino

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/26/12 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MetodaGemini
yeah the last episode was meh. Was expecting more of a followup to the rosetti assassination attempt.

Looks like that will be the theme of this week's episode.
Posted By: mr. soprano

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/26/12 09:42 PM

I'm starting to notice that the character of Nucky is starting to flesh out sort of like Tony Soprano. What i mean is, the second half of The Sopranos seemed to deal with how Tony being just Tony had a negative affect on everyone around him (directly/indirectly). It seems to me that this is the case with Nucky.
Posted By: Dapper_Don

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/27/12 06:37 PM

the show has been a little boring recently for me... too much many subplots going on that stray from the main show imo hope they flesh some of these out soon enough

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 01:49 AM

Sort of a "family" theme tonight (of sorts). Nucky's family reunion seemed to hit a sentimental nerve with Nucky & Margaret no? And Richard's dinner at Julia's turned into a fiasco didn't it? Richard still remains somewhat mysterious to me. Oh, and WTF is with Julia's father? What an asshole. He was so mean to the little kid (and everyone for that matter) mad

And Gillian? OMG. WHY did she do that? uhwhat (I'm thinking Jimmy fits in that plan somewhere)

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 02:06 AM

And Gillian? OMG. WHY did she do that? uhwhat (I'm thinking Jimmy fits in that plan somewhere)

Simple. She's gonna have it appear that the guy who died was Jimmy. It'll look like he OD'd. She'll have a funeral and then get the home.

Good show. I love any scenes with Richard.

More to come later (gotta eat something).

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 02:11 AM

Simple. She's gonna have it appear that the guy who died was Jimmy. It'll look like he OD'd. She'll have a funeral and then get the home.

Good show. I love any scenes with Richard.

More to come later (gotta eat something).

Ah ha!! That's what I was thinking too but I'm not sure how'll she'll do it. The episode ended with the "girls" screaming upstairs and I assumed it was because they found the body. How she'll spin the yarn, I'm not sure. confused Boy, she sure is an evil bitch isn't she? lol

Btw SC, how's the weather there? Everything ok so far?

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 02:13 AM

Oh, and speaking of Richard (who I am beginning to like too), I know his scarred face are from war injuries BUT what is that black string thing that is always hanging down his cheek? confused

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 03:09 AM

Oh, and speaking of Richard (who I am beginning to like too), I know his scarred face are from war injuries BUT what is that black string thing that is always hanging down his cheek? confused

What string thing?? Do you mean the edge of his mask?

Yo do realize that he wears a half of a mask, right?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 03:16 AM

Is that what that is? I saw he had some thingy over his face but didn't know it was a mask. Hmm

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 03:25 AM

Is that what that is? I saw he had some thingy over his face but didn't know it was a mask.

That's why he ate dinner in the kitchen while everyone else ate in the dining room. He had to take his mask off to eat.

Last season, when he was going to kill himself in the woods, he took the mask off and a dog ran away with it. Remember that?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 03:38 AM

I cant get enough of Gillian thats all im saying

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 11:05 PM

Have you guys seen this new Guinness Black Beer commercial? Lo and behold it is the guy who plays Richard Harrow!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 10/29/12 11:13 PM

Oh yea!! I haven't seen it but you can tell it's him. Well, the normal looking him. lol

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/03/12 01:53 AM

Nucky knows that the real Jimmy is dead. So, what's going to happen when the fake Jimmy is buried?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/03/12 01:59 AM

I'm thinking Nucky will have to be suspicious of what's going on and probably somehow find out Jillian was involved. Maybe he'll use it against her in some way or hold it over her head. Don't know, but should be interesting.

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 02:09 AM

Tonight's episode Nucky's being told that Jimmy drowned at his mom's house in the bath tub. He's totally baffled. lol He's gonna hold it over Jillian somehow I'll bet once he adds it all up.

TIS

Anyone watching? Van Alden went off the deep end. lol

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 02:59 AM

Ok, what the hell just happened? uhwhat I didn't see that coming. Did I miss something?

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 03:07 AM

Ok, what the hell just happened? uhwhat I didn't see that coming. Did I miss something?

Rosetti blew up the restaurant in an attempt to kill Nucky, Rothstein and Luciano.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 03:13 AM

Didn't that surprise you? It looked like more than the restaurant blew up. The whole thing was thanks to Jillian right? What happened to Billie, I didn't see her. I hope she didn't die.

Didn't Van Alden crack you up? You could see him getting pissed AND holding that iron I just KNEW what was gonna happen. lol

Good episode tonight. I'll have to re-watch this one.

Btw, nice to have you back SC.

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 03:18 AM

Thank God that Nucky stopped to talk to that guy (I think Billie's gone). Of course, he'd never trace anything back to Jillian, Right?

Also, isn't Al getting ideas?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 03:43 AM

Didn't Van Alden crack you up? You could see him getting pissed AND holding that iron I just KNEW what was gonna happen.

I guess you could say they pressed him too hard. whistle

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 03:53 AM

Also, isn't Al getting ideas?

It looks that way but I don't think the writers would venture that far from the historical truth.

I'm certain that Billie bought the farm.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 04:20 AM

Didn't Van Alden crack you up? You could see him getting pissed AND holding that iron I just KNEW what was gonna happen.

I guess you could say they pressed him too hard. whistle

That scene was hilarious,especially after he burned the guy. The cinematography was great with him flipping out and his terrified colleagues screaming and running scared lol lol

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 04:26 AM

The guy was an asshole but still. lol You could see the rage building in Van Alden each time he had to start his lines over .

He burned the sh*t out of the side of that guy's face didn't he? lol Not really suppose to be a funny scene I guess but it did make me laugh.

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 06:00 AM

Rosetti blew up the restaurant in an attempt to kill Nucky, Rothstein and Luciano.

Watching the episode the second time around it seems that Jillian had set that plan in motion(The Explosion) up maybe with Harrow to avenge Jimmy's Death? What threw me of guard was when she says to Chip Rosetti " That Nucky,Rothstein, and Luciano will be dead tonight" and chip responses.. Why are you telling me this?

Or did these two parties have a prior arrangment

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 11:17 AM

I think Gyp was just curious and concerned as to why someone who as far as he knew owed allegiance to Nucky and Lucky, was giving him information that would allow him to kill them. I think he just wanted to make sure it wasn't some sort of setup. He also may have been re-evaluating Gillian as a player in her own right.

I think Richard will know that it was Gillian and inform Nucky. I don't think Richard was involved. If he had wanted to kill Nucky, Nucky would already be dead.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 11:34 AM

Lilo ..Richard is like a stray cat he really doesn't have anyone that loves him. His only family he mentions his sister. All the players around him just use him and I'm sure all parties fear him because he is so detached. In the war he lost his penis and half his face and whether it is the 1920s or the present his loyalty remains with no one

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 01:24 PM

Lilo ..Richard is like a stray cat he really doesn't have anyone that loves him. His only family he mentions his sister. All the players around him just use him and I'm sure all parties fear him because he is so detached. In the war he lost his penis and half his face and whether it is the 1920s or the present his loyalty remains with no one

In the show it is shown that Richard loses his virginity to the prostitute Odette. So he didn't lose his "little Richard". whistle

As shown Richard has great capacity for loyalty under the right conditions. He is still operating as a soldier mentally. His loyalty was to Jimmy and Angela and has now been transferred to their son. Richard was ready to kill a man over possible harm to Tommy. He's going to do what he thinks is right for the boy. I bet he thinks that means breaking with Gillian at some point.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/05/12 01:33 PM

I loved the Van Alden line "We need to move somewhere. Anywhere else. I am open to anywhere. ..just not New Jersey, New York...or Illinois.". His wife looks like she's going to be the brains of the operation, too. Cute.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/07/12 08:05 PM

Watching the episode the second time around it seems that Jillian had set that plan in motion(The Explosion) up maybe with Harrow to avenge Jimmy's Death? What threw me of guard was when she says to Chip Rosetti " That Nucky,Rothstein, and Luciano will be dead tonight" and chip responses.. Why are you telling me this?

I thought she says they will be dining their tonight. Not dying. She also says to gyp:
Maybe you'll surprise him.

Also gyp wants these guys dead because of the deal he made with Boss Masseria.

I think gyp and his pal did the deed Gillian merely tipped em off

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/07/12 09:36 PM

She definitely says that they will be dining. Gyp took it from there.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/07/12 09:44 PM

Yea, she did say "dining" but I still think somehow Nucky will find out about it. Jillian didn't know what exactly would happen but she KNEW by dropping that bit of info, something would.

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/12/12 03:07 AM

Wow.... awesome episode tonight!!!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/12/12 03:19 AM

A few random thoughts (about tonight's show):

Gillian is a REAL [BadWord]!

I didn't make the connection with Gyp being the gypsy until tonight.

I'm not surprised that the other bigwigs (including Rothstein, Lansky, Luciano, Gordon etc.) wouldn't back Nucky but I ALMOST felt sorry for Nucky when they all walked out on him.

Will Owen and Margaret really leave together?

Only three episodes left for this season. frown

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/12/12 04:34 PM

I'm liking Gillian less and less and don't like the way she talks to Richard (I am beginning to like/sympathize his character). His lady friend seems to really like him no?

I agree with you SC and kind of felt bad for Nucky when all the guys walked out on him. As far as Margaret I'm not certain exactly what she's after. Does she really like Owen? I don't trust her either.

Oh, and Nucky was a tad off since that explosion no? Surprised me that he told Margaret to stay in the room when he met with those other guys. He was very disoriented.

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/12/12 06:51 PM

The bomb was meant to kill AR and Luciano. Certainly they could figure that out. Why did they disassociate themselves from that?

Margaret wants out.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/12/12 07:33 PM

Wow.... awesome episode tonight!!!

best episode in a while

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/12/12 08:16 PM

The bomb was meant to kill AR and Luciano. Certainly they could figure that out. Why did they disassociate themselves from that?

I don't think they figured it out.... they think the bomb was meant solely for Nucky.

It was odd that at the moment of Nucky's incoherence (due to the brain injury) he saw what was REALLY happening so clearly and the other mobsters didn't.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/13/12 12:09 AM

None of the other leaders have the muscle to go to war with Masseria right? So it's not surprising that they wouldn't want to help Nucky. I think Gyp already wiped out much of Nucky's muscle at the Tabor heights massacre so other people wouldn't want to jump on what looks like a sinking ship. But Nucky will come up with something.

I don't think Owen makes it out of this season alive. Nice to see Richard reveal some hidden skills.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/14/12 11:44 AM

Poor Richard, for once he had a great day and it had to be ruined in the end.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/14/12 05:41 PM

Because it scared the shit out of them. Rothstein is a schemer, not a trigger man. He will now safe his own ass by making a new deal with Masseria.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/14/12 05:53 PM

But Nucky will come up with something.

He will likely use his political contacts and use the police or federal agents as his private army.

Quote:
I don't think Owen makes it out of this season alive.

I've said at the start of this season that I think Owen is a dead man walking and will probably be killed at the end of the season.
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/17/12 05:31 PM

Behind the times as ever, I just started watching this from episode 1. Two eps in; have skipped this thread to avoid spoilers. Will catch up and check back.

Promising so far. Not sure if the CGI environs are charming or distracting.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 03:01 AM

One word for tonight's episode.... BRUTAL.

Wow!!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 03:04 AM

^^^ Who was the guy Gyp beat to death?

* Typo

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 03:06 AM

Gyp killed one of his workers. He was the cousin of one of Gyp's lieutenants.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Behind the times as ever, I just started watching this from episode 1. Two eps in; have skipped this thread to avoid spoilers. Will catch up and check back.

Promising so far. Not sure if the CGI environs are charming or distracting.

They've seemed to take long breaks before each season there's only two episodes left for season 3 now I think

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 03:08 AM

Okay makes sense..

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 03:17 AM

SPOILERS

Holy crap! How vicious. uhwhat That Gyp is a totally heartless SOB isn't he. Beyond mean.

Richard got his girlfriend's father to apologize. Ha ha He's got a violent side too but for some reason I like him. He's always protecting his friends/loves, etc. Plus I kind of feel sorry for him.

I'm confused by the Van Alden scene. I know his wife made the liquor and he sold it. The guy he sold it to must have ratted on him. BUT, Who and why was that guy threatening him? confused

Margaret is pregnant hu? What did she get a diaphragm for then? AND seeing her boyfriend in the crate?? Yea, that would be a shocker. lol Nucky surely must know about them now no?

This episode started out kind of slow but ended up with with some pretty surprising scenes in the end. panic

TIS

Now I really can't wait for The Walking Dead.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 07:49 AM

Who killed Owen???

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 09:39 AM

Who killed Owen???

Maseria and company.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 09:56 AM

Why on earth would you get your cousin a job working for an insane paranoid like Gyp and NOT warn him to never ever ever say anything to Gyp?

Don't offer advice, don't give criticism, don't correct him, just don't speak unless spoken to.

That said many of Gyp's crew are all by definition violent lawless men in their own right and it doesn't make a lot of sense that someone as chaotic and as unpredictable as Gyp could maintain loyalty for long. There are limits to loyalty.

Anyway exit Owen. I figured that was coming up. Maybe now we'll finally get less screen time with Margaret. Owen should have stayed with Katie. Much prettier than Margaret.

I didn't like the writing that Nucky is going to tell half the eastern criminal establishment that he's going after Masseria and not expect that Masseria wouldn't hear about this. There was bad blood between Gyp and Nucky not Masseria and Nucky. Nucky's not Jewish so presumably he wouldn't trip Masseria's bigotry. Why wouldn't Nucky have attempted to speak with Masseria about the situation and maybe cut his own deal?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 10:04 AM

I'm confused by the Van Alden scene. I know his wife made the liquor and he sold it. The guy he sold it to must have ratted on him. BUT, Who and why was that guy threatening him? confused

Van Alden and his sweet but deadly wife are clueless about the territorial Chicago arrangements between the Torrio-Capone group and the various other gangs, especially O'Bannion's North siders. So Van Alden, who as far as Capone knows is an O'Bannion enforcer, is selling whiskey outside of his area, which is a serious offense. So the saloon owner told his Capone affiliated supplier and Van Alden was picked up by Capone gunmen and threatened by Capone...

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 10:07 AM

Who killed Owen???

Maseria and company.

Yeah I figured, just didn't get why they didn't show it, surprised me I guess

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 12:44 PM

Yeah I figured, just didn't get why they didn't show it, surprised me I guess

Oh, I see what you mean. I think it was because they wanted to surprise the viewer along with Margaret at the end. Everyone on this board already knows when and how Masseria died but maybe the casual BE viewer doesn't.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 01:37 PM

Do you think the shows being true to the Nucky Thompson story in real life? I can't quite gage how realistic it is to real life, I only know a little about the real Thompson and didn't think he was a murderer? Came across as a kind of lovable rouge from what I read.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 03:36 PM

Luciano set up a double cross against Nucky. Mazzarea will probably get killed come the last episode

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 03:54 PM

Van Alden and his sweet but deadly wife are clueless about the territorial Chicago arrangements between the Torrio-Capone group and the various other gangs, especially O'Bannion's North siders. So Van Alden, who as far as Capone knows is an O'Bannion enforcer, is selling whiskey outside of his area, which is a serious offense. So the saloon owner told his Capone affiliated supplier and Van Alden was picked up by Capone gunmen and threatened by Capone...

Thanks Lilo. Van Alden seems to take chances and fly by the seat of his pants so to speak. I can't imagine how he'll be alive for real long. lol

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 04:03 PM

Mazzarea will probably get killed come the last episode

Won't happen. Masseria will be alive for another five years and I seriously doubt that the writers would stray that far from the truth.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 04:04 PM

[/quote]

Thanks Lilo. Van Alden seems to take chances and fly by the seat of his pants so to speak. I can't imagine how he'll be alive for real long. lol TIS[/quote]

With a face only a mother could love and strong religious beliefs and ability to kill/disable people, I think Capone will take him under his wing. Maybe use him to screw Obanion real good

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 04:06 PM

Van Alden seems to take chances and fly by the seat of his pants so to speak. I can't imagine how he'll be alive for real long.

I hope he IS around for a while. He is now a good source for some comedy. Gotta love him getting forked by Capone and seeing those bug-out eyes bugging out.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 04:06 PM

@ SC Okay IC with the timeline hes schedule to die next season then

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 04:07 PM

Van Alden seems to take chances and fly by the seat of his pants so to speak. I can't imagine how he'll be alive for real long.

I hope he IS around for a while. He is now a good source for some comedy. Gotta love him getting forked by Capone and seeing those bug-out eyes bugging out.

I noticed since Mobsters always eat the same food at the same time 24/7, Capone was quick to share his plate you think he was gromming him to become part of the family lol

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 04:12 PM

I noticed since Mobsters always eat the same food at the same time 24/7, Capone was quick to share his plate you think he was gromming him to become part of the family lol

I think Capone just wanted to show he was boss and could force Van Alden to eat with the same instrument with which he was stabbed in the cheek.
Posted By: JCrusher

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/19/12 08:50 PM

Why on earth would you get your cousin a job working for an insane paranoid like Gyp and NOT warn him to never ever ever say anything to Gyp?

Don't offer advice, don't give criticism, don't correct him, just don't speak unless spoken to.

That said many of Gyp's crew are all by definition violent lawless men in their own right and it doesn't make a lot of sense that someone as chaotic and as unpredictable as Gyp could maintain loyalty for long. There are limits to loyalty.

Anyway exit Owen. I figured that was coming up. Maybe now we'll finally get less screen time with Margaret. Owen should have stayed with Katie. Much prettier than Margaret.

I didn't like the writing that Nucky is going to tell half the eastern criminal establishment that he's going after Masseria and not expect that Masseria wouldn't hear about this. There was bad blood between Gyp and Nucky not Masseria and Nucky. Nucky's not Jewish so presumably he wouldn't trip Masseria's bigotry. Why wouldn't Nucky have attempted to speak with Masseria about the situation and maybe cut his own deal?

This season Nucky thinks he is a big bad gangster even though he is really half of a gangster. I mean jimmy was the first man he ever killed and even then jimmy had to talk him through it

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/20/12 12:19 AM

I think Capone just wanted to show he was boss and could force Van Alden to eat with the same instrument with which he was stabbed in the cheek.

SC these wiseguys know days compared to the old days you know its not about tradition anymore like my fudda and mudda once told me

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/20/12 12:26 AM

As soon as I saw that guy's head sticking out of the sand, I remembered that old movie which I think was called "Creep Show" (a trio of short horror stories). Leslie Neilson was in it and I don't remember if it was his character or not, BUT he was buried in the sand as the tide came in closer and closer. lol Anyone else know which one I'm speaking of?

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/20/12 01:46 AM

TIS, I remember the one with Ted Danson.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/20/12 01:03 PM

Do you think the shows being true to the Nucky Thompson story in real life? I can't quite gage how realistic it is to real life, I only know a little about the real Thompson and didn't think he was a murderer? Came across as a kind of lovable rouge from what I read.

My understanding is that Thompson did not kill anyone or order anyone's death though he certainly "palled around" (Sarah Palin shoutout whistle ) with those who did. He was both the political boss of Jersey and a business partner to Luciano, Zwillman, Dalitz, Lansky and others.

Physically Buscemi looks nothing like Thompson, who was a big massive guy. But Thompson's essence was being quite well dressed and being extremely profane. And that is something that Buscemi captured well.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/21/12 09:20 AM

Bad job market? Depression? lol I bet even if he was warned he would run his mouth anyway.

//

Goodness, another great episode. Finally after weeks of borefest, these two last episodes was good. Owen was a goner, but this was a better exit than I expected.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/21/12 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Goodness, another great episode. Finally after weeks of borefest, these two last episodes was good. Owen was a goner, but this was a better exit than I expected.

Not to mention THREE killings.

The one with Franco (the rogue wave guy) was brutal. The one with Gaston Means (in which Jess Smith ends up shooting himself) was almost comical. The one we don't actually see (Owen in the crate), even though it was expected that Owen would die this season, was shocking.

FWIW - I don't usually find the "slower" episodes boring. There has to be some buildup of the storyline.

Only two more episodes. frown

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/21/12 11:44 AM

Not to mention THREE killings.

The one with Franco (the rogue wave guy) was brutal. The one with Gaston Means (in which Jess Smith ends up shooting himself) was almost comical. The one we don't actually see (Owen in the crate), even though it was expected that Owen would die this season, was shocking.

FWIW - I don't usually find the "slower" episodes boring. There has to be some buildup of the storyline.

Only two more episodes. frown

Oh yeah, that suicide WAS comical. lol

Granted that the character build up is necessary, but there was something lacking this past two seasons. I used to love season 1. Now, I just continue watching. ohwell

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/21/12 11:51 AM

Granted that the character build up is necessary, but there was something lacking this past two seasons. I used to love season 1. Now, I just continue watching. ohwell

It's a soap opera. A well-written soap opera. It has gangsters in it. What more can you ask for?

I love it!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/21/12 12:04 PM

It's a soap opera. A well-written soap opera. It has gangsters in it. What more can you ask for?

I love it!

Not sure, there's not enough Capone in there anymore? lol

I usually watch Homeland and even Dexter before I watch Boardwalk.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/21/12 07:07 PM

Bad job market? Depression? lol I bet even if he was warned he would run his mouth anyway.

//

No doubt a ruthless character but there's something I find a little corny in the actors portrayal, the scene in the previous episode when he wore the hat from the museum was a litte cheesy to me. He just doesn't come across as cold as say the actors who played Marlo, Snoop and Chris in the Wire now they scared me!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/22/12 05:12 PM

A little off topic (but still relevant) for a second. Here's a photo of the 1940 Thanksgiving Day parade showing a balloon modeled on Eddie Cantor. Supposedly it was the only time a balloon of a real-life person was flown in the parade.

Posted By: spmob

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/23/12 05:27 PM

What do you think happened to the guy that went with Mr. Slater to the bath house? Masseria kill him or using him or what? I don't believe he was in the box. Or was he in on it to with Masseria.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/23/12 10:07 PM

SC,

Cool picture of the 1940 Thanksgiving Parade. Even then there were crowds gathered (tho much moreso now I'd say). smile

BTW, I was thinking today is Sunday and wondering why I didn't see BE in the tv listings. whistle I'm all mixed up. LOL

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/25/12 11:10 PM

I missed some of the last episode. Did Owen meet with Masseria?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/25/12 11:29 PM

I missed some of the last episode. Did Owen meet with Masseria?

I guess you could say that. Masseria was nice enough to return him to Nucky all wrapped up.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 01:12 AM

Anybody download the HBO GO App it seems like a crock of shit for BE

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 01:17 AM

I've only seen ads on the Go App but don't know much about it.

I'm pissed at Time Warner cause my cable bill went up $5.00; 2nd time in a year. It went up $6.00 in Jan. 12. mad

I am mostly satisfied with TW but it seems like there are so many freekin' little charges in the bill that I can't figure out.

Sorry, wrong thread. blush I am waiting for BE to start though. wink

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 01:59 AM

I watch it on the hbo go app on my hp touchpad every sunday, im on optimum online. The app is great.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 02:09 AM

Tonight's episode really started out with a bang no??

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 03:04 AM

I can't wait for next week.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 03:53 AM

Tonight's episode was good the preview for the season finale looks even better. Richard is in a sticky situation I would think he'll get killed in the season finale.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 03:57 AM

Great episode!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 04:08 AM

Richard is in a sticky situation I would think he'll get killed in the season finale.

I'm afraid of that, too.

Looks like an old fashioned gang war is brewing. The sides have been chosen and the lines drawn.

Great to see Capone as a potential white knight. Sure looks like Richard is gonna join with Nucky and Chalky (all the characters that I like on this show).

Did I mention that I hate that [BadWord] of a [BadWord], Gillian.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 04:24 AM

I don't want Richard to get killed. I like him. I hope he makes it. ohwell

I agree that Gillian is a real bitch and I hated the way she trashed Richard. She can go any time as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I feel sorry for her grandson.

It was a good episode tonight. Lot's of sh*t happening.

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 04:36 AM

I don't want Richard to get killed. I like him. I hope he makes it. ohwell

I agree that Gillian is a real bitch and I hated the way she trashed Richard. She can go any time as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I feel sorry for her grandson.

It was a good episode tonight. Lot's of sh*t happening.

TIS

Jillian probably has a whales vag*na and shes the madam for cris sake lol I could see Richard running away with that women and maybe taking Tommy with him.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 05:02 AM

I don't understand why Luciano wouldnt have backup with him I guess Meyer having warned him he was on his on, but still that kinda money I'd want a few goons around me

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 09:44 AM

It's always difficult to tell b/c the previews are deliberately misleading but it looks like there might be some fall out among Capone, Nucky and Chalky next week? Hmm.

And Richard is back in the game. That was a great shot with him laying out his guns. I really like the character. He's a murderer but he has a code.

I liked Eddie's non-answer to Nucky as to whether he knew of Margaret's infidelity. I also liked Nucky being taken down a peg by having to admit he didn't know Chalky's phone number or even if Eddie had a family.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 04:29 PM

One thing I haven't liked is how wrong they got Luciano, they made him look like some dumb sidekick nothing like how he was in real life!
Posted By: Toodoped

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 04:43 PM

One thing I haven't liked is how wrong they got Luciano, they made him look like some dumb sidekick nothing like how he was in real life!

^ ^ ^I support this statement 100%.Lucky was a real gentleman,the prince of darkness as some say,not some tuff talkin orangutan

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 05:31 PM

I agree they make him seem like an idiot

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 07:13 PM

I think Richard rides to Nucky's rescue even if it's not intentional.

Does Nucky call in a favor from that federal DA to get Luciano a deal?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/26/12 08:58 PM

I dunno. 1923 this is Luciano being mentored by rothstein. This is the drug deal that disgraced Luciano before he sold the tickets to the big fight in 1923. We will see Luciano as we know him I'm sure. I think it's good storytelling for this character to finally come into his own.

Also. Damn. Capone at the end there.
You and me sit down. Talk about who dies. Ah??
Posted By: SEAN_SOUTH

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 11/27/12 01:15 AM

The best character is Greg Antonacci's Torrio. That guy is pure class and I hope they keep him in the show after he gets put into retirement. The rest don't strike me too convincing.

I think they're going to try and make that sour Cop the two Gusenberg brothers rolled into one. I dont know how they're going to pull it off or why but that's what's happening for sure.

I think Banion comes off like some kind of clown. He seems so prim and preppy like he's bout to break out in a ballerina pose or something. I know the guy had a flower shop but did they have to make O'Banion the hard nosed mick the most blooming flower in the Botanical Rose Garden. Give me a break!!!

It's like one of the producers saw that Jack 'Legs' Diamond flick from back in the day and decided that Jack flaying around the ballroom like a jackass was the way O' Banion was going to be in the flower shop.

I'd love to see Vannie Higgins get a break in a storyline. So many stories from this era have gone untold, there should be more New York and less Chicago.

We haven't even seen Owney Madden once yet, have we? What's that about?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/02/12 08:22 PM

DVR ALERT FOR TONIGHT'S (SEASON FINAL) EPISODE.

If you are recording the show make sure you extend the usual one hour recording time to 65 minutes. The episode tonight runs an extra five minutes.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 03:17 AM

WOW.... What a climax. I need a cigarette after that!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 03:23 AM

As I posted elsewhere, the "good guys" won just like I hoped. But what happened to the other two guys who were on the beach?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 03:25 AM

Yes it was a good episode tonight. LOTS of action. Jillian got hers (sort of). I thought she was gonna die. Richard really kicked ass didn't he? I hope he keeps the little boy. He shouldn't be around Jillian. Nucky seems to have new plan. Does he really forgive Margaret? I'm surprised for some reason.

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 03:26 AM

As I posted elsewhere, the "good guys" won just like I hoped. But what happened to the other two guys who were on the beach?

There are no good guys they're all crooks!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 03:26 AM

TIS, he's evolved into a full-time gangster. Remember when Jimmy told him that he was only half a gangster?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 03:30 AM

But what happened to the other two guys who were on the beach?

Doesn't really matter, they were small potatoes.

It was a little trite how Chalky and Capone were at each others' throats but came around to end it amicably.

Richard Harrow was totally awesome! A one man war machine!! clap

Gillian got what she deserved. clap

Arnold Rothstein is being played as a prick. Should be interesting to see how the government goes after him next season.

Gyp..... dead. clap clap

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 03:41 AM

SC,

I was hoping Richard would take a quick shot even after he was told to put the gun down (it just sounded like something he'd do. He's evidently a great shot). When he told the little boy to close his eyes, I knew he'd go for it.

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:06 AM

Some random thoughts:

Gotta love Richard!!

It wasn't MUCH but I found a little sweetness in the fact that it was Tonino who killed Gyp. Payback for Tonino's cousin (who was buried up to his head in the sand a few episodes back).

I loved the treachery between Lucky Luciano and Arnold Rothstein.

Nucky sure came out smelling like a rose. About the only thing he didn't get was Margaret, but I suspect that will change next season.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:09 AM

BTW - Is Gillian dead? I re-watched that portion and I'm not sure. confused

Any thoughts?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:13 AM

BTW - Is Gillian dead? I re-watched that portion and I'm not sure. confused

Any thoughts?

Drug overdose I think, just like the one she poked and drowned in the bathtub.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:14 AM

SC,

She was alive at the end though very strung out. I am not sure if she will die but have a feeling she'll pull thru.

smile

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:21 AM

OK... as long as I'm not the only one who isn't sure. lol

I agree with DD that it was meant to be the same outcome as the Jimmy look-alike but I have a gut feeling that her status was left open (on purpose) to give the writers some time to decide whether she'll be back next year.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:34 AM

SC,

She was alive at the end though very strung out. I am not sure if she will die but have a feeling she'll pull thru.

smile

TIS

Well Gyp did pull her trigger but not one she was expecting

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:35 AM

OK... as long as I'm not the only one who isn't sure. lol

I agree with DD that it was meant to be the same outcome as the Jimmy look-alike but I have a gut feeling that her status was left open (on purpose) to give the writers some time to decide whether she'll be back next year.

Yea, you two are probably right.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:48 AM

I re-watched the episode and now have a better appreciation of how Nucky "played" Arnold Rothstein. Nucky mentioned something about "big bait" and he was referring to the distillery that he got from Andrew Mellon.

After Rothstein demanded 95% of the ownership of that distillery in return for getting Masseria to drop his support of Gyp Rossetti and the war was over Nucky was able to get Gaston Means reach out to Mellon and turn the government against Rothstein.

Well played, Nucky!!

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:54 AM

I re-watched the episode and now have a better appreciation of how Nucky "played" Arnold Rothstein. Nucky mentioned something about "big bait" and he was referring to the distillery that he got from Andrew Mellon.

After Rothstein demanded 95% of the ownership of that distillery in return for getting Masseria to drop his support of Gyp Rossetti and the war was over Nucky was able to get Gaston Means reach out to Mellon and turn the government against Rothstein.

Well played, Nucky!!

I liked the episode I do feel that they rushed a lot of things though to wrap the season up.

One thing I didn't get was why they set Luciano up, was it because he went against their advice to fall back during the war?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:55 AM

Yea, I'll have to re-watch the episode again. I knew Nucky played it well but I get confused on the business deal. confused

Btw, any significance to the scene showing Nucky's carnation on the ground? No more Mr. Nice guy or something??

TIS

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 05:01 AM

Btw, any significance to the scene showing Nucky's carnation on the ground? No more Mr. Nice guy or something??

I took that as showing some depression over Margaret not returning to him plus he wants to make himself less "noticeable" to others. He doesn't want to appear as such a flashy guy (notice how he was upset that some strangers on the boardwalk knew who he was).
Posted By: tenpin477

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 06:09 AM

The carnation is him dropping the political guy image and adopting the gangster, lower profile image, hence the black pinstripe suit as well.

As for the whole setting up Luciano thing, well Lucky Luciano was in fact arrested in 1923 for a botched heroin deal, and this was the way to set up the ending without Joe Masserria getting killed.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 11:26 AM

Anyone find it strange how the Van Alden storyline seems to have been abandoned?
Posted By: spmob

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 04:26 PM

I was talking to my GF about VanAlden last night. They didn't say shit about him all episode. I liked the season but just thought they could have ended it a little better. I dont know what but there was something missing there for me for the season finale. I wonder what will happen with Richard??

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 06:40 PM

I agree they tried closing out 10 different story lines at once. It seemed that this episode was rushed.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 07:27 PM

Yea, I'll have to re-watch the episode again. I knew Nucky played it well but I get confused on the business deal. confused

TIS

I opined elsewhere that Nucky is now a full-time gangster. Two things: 1) He tells his brother that noone gets near them unless they can trust them; 2) remember when Jimmy told him that he was only half a gangster. Well, now he's 100% gangster.

I think the dropped rose was his acknowledgement that he has crossed over.
Posted By: Dandi

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 08:40 PM

Great, great episode - and season, for that matter - but Luciano being stung with the heroin deal, that all completely lost me. Still have no idea how that scam was pulled off on him or what the motivation was for it to be done???

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Dandi
Great, great episode - and season, for that matter - but Luciano being stung with the heroin deal, that all completely lost me. Still have no idea how that scam was pulled off on him or what the motivation was for it to be done???

Arnold Rothstein was behind this. The two undercover cops who busted Luciano were in Rothstein's pocket. Arnold was hoping to get Lucky's supply of heroin, and he did when Lucky gave it up to the cops (to save himself from jail). Rothstein then offered a partnership to Joe Masseria if he would drop his support of Gyp Rossetti. So, Rothstein beat Luciano out of drugs and he beat Nucky out of control of the distillery (or so he thought).

Nucky set Rothstein up, though. Nucky, through his connection with Armand Means got the government to crack down on that distillery's owner (now Arnold Rothstein).

Lots of treachery but it looks like Nucky came out of it good and Rothstein looks to be in big trouble now. We'll see what happens next season.

FWIW - I loved the treachery part.... it makes for a good storyline.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 09:29 PM

I really liked Gyp, wish he wasn't shipped out and he has to win an emmy for that role, that was really amazing, lots of people hate him. Much better season ender than the walking dead

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: merlino
I really liked Gyp, wish he wasn't shipped out and he has to win an emmy for that role, that was really amazing, lots of people hate him.

Include me in that group of those who hated him. He was a sick fuck and just plain mean. Like I said earlier, I got SOME satisfaction out of seeing Tonino killing him; if just for the payback for Gyp killing Tonino's cousin (the guy who was buried up to his head in the sand).

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 09:55 PM

Arnold Rothstein was behind this. The two undercover cops who busted Luciano were in Rothstein's pocket. Arnold was hoping to get Lucky's supply of heroin, and he did when Lucky gave it up to the cops (to save himself from jail). Rothstein then offered a partnership to Joe Masseria if he would drop his support of Gyp Rossetti. So, Rothstein beat Luciano out of drugs and he beat Nucky out of control of the distillery (or so he thought).

Nucky set Rothstein up, though. Nucky, through his connection with Armand Means got the government to crack down on that distillery's owner (now Arnold Rothstein).

Lots of treachery but it looks like Nucky came out of it good and Rothstein looks to be in big trouble now. We'll see what happens next season.

FWIW - I loved the treachery part.... it makes for a good storyline.

All that makes perfect sense. Thanks. I am still left wondering, though, why AR would shaft Lucky - an associate of his - like that when he could've been in on the heroin deal right from the off. He turned an offer from Lucky and Meyer regarding heroin down if I remember correctly.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 10:07 PM

I am still left wondering, though, why AR would shaft Lucky - an associate of his - like that when he could've been in on the heroin deal right from the off. He turned an offer from Lucky and Meyer regarding heroin down if I remember correctly.

I can only guess at that, but I think that Rothstein was a man who played the odds, especially when they were stacked in his favor. He probably didn't like the chances of the drug dealing to go well from the start. He didn't want to lay out any money on an "iffy" proposition, but since he was able to get $100,000 worth of heroin for free (from Luciano) he saw less of a possible loss for himself.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/03/12 11:58 PM

Here are two interviews with series creator, Terence Winter.
George Pelecanos and Dennis Lehane will be writing for Boardwalk Empire next year. He also explains how Nucky played Rothstein. And Gillian is not dead. And we may not have seen the last of Margaret. panic
Interview 1

Interview 2

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 12:19 AM

I took that as showing some depression over Margaret not returning to him plus he wants to make himself less "noticeable" to others. He doesn't want to appear as such a flashy guy (notice how he was upset that some strangers on the boardwalk knew who he was).

That's what i got as well.

Originally Posted By: merlino
I really liked Gyp, wish he wasn't shipped out and he has to win an emmy for that role, that was really amazing, lots of people hate him. Much better season ender than the walking dead

Walking Dead didn't have its season finale, it only hit the mid season point.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 01:06 AM

Thanks for those two links, Lilo. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Margaret.

One touching part of the episode - when Richard brought Tommy to his girlfriend's (Julia) house and Julia's father told her to put Tommy in his son's room (which had been off-limits before). The father, in a somber and sober moment then told Richard that "soldiers don't come home like this" (or something to that effect).

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 01:33 AM

Thanks for those two links, Lilo. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Margaret.

One touching part of the episode - when Richard brought Tommy to his girlfriend's (Julia) house and Julia's father told her to put Tommy in his son's room (which had been off-limits before). The father, in a somber and sober moment then told Richard that "soldiers don't come home like this" (or something to that effect).

Now that I think of it, yeah that was a good scene. Julia's father excepting Richard for being a soldier and a good person. Tommy's the son of a gunner, I can see him growing up maybe in season 5 and becoming a solider(whether its thru OC or Government)and in the last season kill Nucky to avenge his fathers death.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 01:59 AM

Now that I think of it, yeah that was a good scene. Julia's father excepting Richard for being a soldier and a good person. Tommy's the son of a gunner, I can see him growing up maybe in season 5 and becoming a solider(whether its thru OC or Government)and in the last season kill Nucky to avenge his fathers death.

I like that....sux season is over

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 04:13 AM

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-as...411953849_n.jpg

That's from HBO'S Boardwalk Empire Page Im not sure how to put photos in but put the link above thought it was funny.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 04:38 AM

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-as...411953849_n.jpg

Im not sure how to put photos in but put the link above thought it was funny.

DN, there are a few threads in the Help Forum about posting pictures. In this case, simply put the red colored address in IMG tags. Try it.... put [img] at the beginning and then put [/img] at the end.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 05:03 AM

alright cool thats BB code how would you put one of those laughing smileys in a text message or on facebook what kinda code is that?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 05:12 AM

There are different codes for different systems.

You may find more info that suits your own needs online, and/or you can ask questions in the Help Forum. Let's keep this thread for the BE show.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 05:23 AM

Let's keep this thread for the BE show.

" Sorry, Excuse Me, I'm not common to message board." Figured I'd ask the consigliere. Thank you for the advice I'll check out some some stuff

I hope they don't have a huge break between this season and next like they did Last year or was it the year before that I can't remember. I wonder how many seasons they would take this series as far as HBO Shows are concerned at least in the crime genre it seems 5-7 Seasons is the life of a show. Were there any shows that were ran longer than 6 or 7 seasons that anyone's familiar with.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/04/12 05:31 AM

Nucky switches alliances a lot. I have to watch it again whats mellon doing with the distiilary he'll indict rothstein you think him and nucky will build a closer relationship to make a new bootlegging empire and use this guy as a pawn even though he'll get whacked depending on the timeline. Also is AR Asexual or gay all the other gangsters and rackateers always have a women with them at one point or another he never does.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/05/12 09:40 AM

He also said he would talk to her daughter, and I didn't get what Richard said. He seemed like giving up on her the way he presented himself. I know Richard is your favorite too, so any thoughts?

This show has a way of making me stop caring for the main characters. It did nothing for me to care for Nucky. :/Right now, there's still Chucky, Capone, Richard and all the women in general, simply because it was a white perfect looking man's world back then and none of these characters stood a chance.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/05/12 02:49 PM

He also said he would talk to her daughter, and I didn't get what Richard said. He seemed like giving up on her the way he presented himself. I know Richard is your favorite too, so any thoughts?

Richard said something to the effect, "as long as he's OK" (meaning the boy). He didn't want Julia's father to intervene on his behalf. I think Richard felt he dishonored himself by taking part in the murders of the gangsters.

He's definitely my favorite character (followed closely by Chalky).

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/05/12 05:17 PM

My favourite character at this point is Eli, really like him in this series.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/05/12 05:22 PM

I'm glad to see that he and Nucky have come to some sort of peace now. It was a little sappy but nice to see the two of them trying to fix the car and reminiscing about their youth. Also, at the end of the episode it was nice to see Nucky tell Eli that he didn't want anyone near them that THEY don't trust.
Posted By: goombah

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/05/12 10:25 PM

I'm glad to see that he and Nucky have come to some sort of peace now. It was a little sappy but nice to see the two of them trying to fix the car and reminiscing about their youth. Also, at the end of the episode it was nice to see Nucky tell Eli that he didn't want anyone near them that THEY don't trust.

I always say there's nothing like witnessing your brother murder someone that brings a family closer together... wink

I think Eli and Nucky are like oil and water. I expect that they'll be back at each other's throats next season.
Posted By: Zrinski

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/10/12 07:30 PM

They portrayed most of historical gangster characters wrong, not only Luciano. Rothstein was a sociable guy and not really a gangster, just a gambler and businessman with certain 'friends' and connections. In BE he is some sort of coldhearted "mob boss". Nucky was a corrupt politician, not a gangster and murderer. They made Torrio look like some stereotypical Italian mob boss while he was in fact a complex person and his and Capone's organization wasn't even a mafia, they accepted people of all nationalities and many non-Italians held important positions. In BE Nucky tells Jimmy that he will always be a stranger there because he's not Italian, but this simply isn't historically correct. Besides, O'Banion's gang wasn't all-Irish either, he had important Italian members while in the BE he appears as some sort of anti-Italian stereotypical Irish mobster. IMO there are too many ethnic stereotypes and hollywood cliches in the show when portraying gangsters. Lansky gives the impression of some calculating Jewish businessman but at that time he was mostly known for being a thug (he was still a teenager FFS, not some criminal mastermind à la Hyman Roth). IMO they got Al Capone right but him getting into petty fights at that point in his criminal career also seems a bit strange.

Anyway, BE is pure fiction and has hardly any connections with historical reality of that time, at least as far as the world of organized crime is concerned, other than using the names of real criminals. Atlantic City at that time was peaceful, there were no major conflicts, yet alone gang wars. The massacre we saw in the final episode was way over the top. 40 or something people dead in one night in an event we don't know anything about. St. Valentine's Day massacre killed 7 and it shocked the entire nation. Also, Negroes playing important role in prohibition OC, fighting with the mafia... Makes it look like some cheap blaxploitation movie to be honest. Some plots seemed totally unrealistic to me, for example Nucky plotting the death of a mafia boss as if killing Masseria would solve any of his problems (the rest of the family would simply move on as if nothing has happened? we're supposed to believe that or what?), not to mention he had no crew of his own.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show and watch it, but it could have been done soooo much better. I don't understand why they placed the series in AC and decided to have Nucky as the main character. He simply isn't interesting enough. If they wanted to make a good series about gangster violence during prohibition, the story should be focused on Chicago or New York and main characters should be guys like Capone, O'Banion, Bugs Moran, Lucky, Frankie Yale or some Jewish mobsters. Or perhaps Masseria and Maranzano, personally I would love to see series about The Castellammarese War.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/11/12 12:13 PM

At the time of season 3 Meyer Lansky was not a teenager. He was 21 years old and already well known among his peers for being smarter than your average gangster.

Rothstein was indeed a full blown gangster with interests not only in gambling and bookmaking but narcotics and bootlegging. He was an influence on both Luciano and Lansky.

As far as blacks being involved in gangland violence it wasn't until the thirties that the NY white mob interests decisively took over black and Puerto Rican criminal enterprises. It wasn't until the late forties early fifties that the Outfit was able to do the same. In both instances violence was required.

In the 1920s era there had just recently been the Chicago Race Riot. White newspapers of the time expressed outrage that blacks were actually fighting back. Unlike previous pogroms some whites actually died. Everybody bleeds.

Like Richard Harrow, Chalky White is fictional. But he's not as much of a stretch as some might think.
Posted By: Zrinski

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/14/12 11:45 AM

At the start of the series Lansky was still a teenager. And weren't him and Luciano too young (in season 1) to be hanging with Rothstein and going to the meetings with him?

I know that Rothstein was involved in those rackets, but being a gangster means being part of some gang or mafia-like organization, ie. being part of a crew. Rothstein had no manpower behind him and yet he talks about "waging a war". With what 'army'? Not to mention him threatening Frankie Yale.

As far as I know blacks weren't involved in major bootlegging operations. Were there ever any real major gang wars between blacks and the mafia? I don't think so, but I could be wrong of course.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/15/12 12:20 AM

I'm not sure of the exact day and time when Rothstein first hired Lansky and Luciano but it certainly was in the very early 20s. IRL everyone who knew Lansky at that time remarked on his relatively studious nature compared to people like Siegel and Luciano.

Rothstein had people not only like Luciano and Lansky on the payroll but also folks like Dutch Schultz and Legs Diamond. As a bootlegger and later narcotics importer it stands to reason that he would have had enough manpower to at least give others pause before taking something he thought was his.

The war being shown is not between blacks and the mafia but rather between two , really three factions of white organized crime with a small black segment throwing in with one faction.

Enoch Johnson also never killed anyone, let alone a virtual foster son. The show is not a documentary. I agree that the amount of violence is over the top but that's entertainment.

As mentioned given that the twenties had seen recent race riots where blacks killed whites and vice versa and at this time there were independent black criminal operations it's not beyond belief that a Chalky White would exist. Resisting the Outfit's takeover of numbers in the 50s a black man killed one of Giancana's aides. Nobody is bulletproof no matter which organization they belong to.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/15/12 07:31 PM

Dod Gyp know that Gillian was going to inject him? He moved quickly to grab her hand, but he was still facing forward.

Also, why did Mellon give the word about Rothstein and the distillery? I presume Nucky told him, but that scene wasn't in the show.

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 12/16/12 06:19 PM

It'd seem that not only did AR not want to be part of the initial heroin deal, he also didn't want LL and ML going to one of his rivals with the proposition: http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire/epis...er?cmpid=ABC471
Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 02/21/13 06:19 PM

Just finished watching this. I think its pacing as a whole is pretty one-note, and its script patterns are also quite predictable (with some exceptions - see below), but the acting is all-round excellent. Michael Stuhlbarg, though less is demanded of him than of others, steals just about every scene in which he appears.

Last four episodes are great. Penultimate episode: haven't felt as tense as that since the final few episodes of The Sopranos. And I literally cheered/laughed with relief and clapped when Eli returns, tells Nucky he "made a deal... with him", and the men part for Capone. That moment of relief, when the shit's long past hitting the fan, backs are against the wall, and then the one man ballsy enough to back you shows up with words of assurance.

Episode 9's hiliarious - Nucky concussed/confused, mistaking Chalky for his shoeshine. lol

How do people feel about the handling of Owen's death, straight after Rosetti bashes a guy's head in on the beach? A pal of mine warned me of this moment without spoiling details, saying he thought it was dreadfully handled - the emotional and dramatic weight of the scene in which Owen's body is discovered completely ruined by the all-out murder scene before it. But it worked for me; I was shocked and gutted by it - and regardless of what came before the scene, the fact that Owen's death happens off-screen seems to heighten the character's vulnerability, Masseria's threat/power and the actual stakes Nucky's dealing with.

Buscemi's great.
Posted By: MeyerLansky

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 03/07/13 10:18 AM

when season 4 going to be?

Re: BOARDWALK EMPIRE - Season 3 - 03/07/13 05:29 PM

Probably the fall.
© 2024 GangsterBB.NET